Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

fritzelly wrote: »
    A healthy immune system screwed a lot of people during the Spanish Flu
    Plus lots of people don't even know they have any underlying conditions so it's a false fallacy to think you are healthy because you exercise regularly
    Never think you are immune because you think you are healthy

Well it's bad for our health to worry too much. Your response suggests you're a worrier. Try to be positive and keep threats in perspective. If you have a comprised immune system then I understand personal worry and concern, if not we just have to assume we'll be grand if we contract it as the vast majority are.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

cnocbui wrote: »
    Nailed it.

I usually only encounter 1, perhaps 2, and often not a single other person. I had to go shopping today. That would be at least a million times more likely to acquire or pass on infection, but it has to be done, the troops and the cats need to be fed. I don't touch my face, I use hand sanitiser, and when I get home I wash my hands, go back and wipe the front door handles, the steering wheel, the gear knob, indicator stalks, door handles the hatch hand grip. I even wipe down my purchases before putting them away and I have been doing all this for the last 4 weeks.

I have been well ahead of the high horsemen, the government and Varadkar. I even have hand sanitiser bought in Lidl before these obedience clowns probably even knew there was such a thing as Covid-19. I have been advocating the seriousness of what was to come, which we are now experiencing, since the first thread. Now instead of all the 'it's just a flu' idiots and 'you are all panicking over nothing' clowns, we have these 11th thread on the topic blow-ins who have just found religion, getting wind up their skirts about people not following the letter of the scripture. It's frankly comic.

The big difference being you had to go shopping to get groceries I'm sure. You need to go shopping eventually. You won't die if you can't go for your poxy long walk for 2 weeks (which you can, but we've been advised to keep it to within a 2k radius).

Maybe if you keep it to 2k instead of however long you want it to be because, 'sure the roads are quiet', you might meet one person instead of two.

Let's play devils advocate and you're an asymptomatic carrier and that second person you meet that you might not have on a shorter walk catches it and passes it on to their elderly parents, what then? Maybe one would get sick or worse. Or you catch it off them passing and give it to your family?

Good for you for doing all of the recommended things like not touching your face and sanitising commonly touches surfaces. Why stick to those and not this recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

Has anyone been on the darts how are they getting on with the new timetable during this are they empty??

Back to work Wednesday in bio chem ...

Presume all construction sites will be closed and only emergency services, pharmacist and food shops will be only people working yes ...??

Will you PM please when you have some time, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

WAW wrote: »
    If you have a comprised immune system then I understand personal worry and concern, if not we just have to assume we'll be grand if we contract it as the vast majority are.

This idea that most are grand when they catch it is unproven.
    It may certainly be so but I do not think we have the data yet and therefore an abundance of caution is the wisest route.
    A doctor in a video from a NY hospital said people are ending up in her ICU for completely different reasons, eg abdominal pain or car crash, no covid symptoms, and yet CT scans show their lungs have been affected by coronavirus. I presume affected means in some way damaged.

Until we know the extent of damage, to even asymptomatic people who presume they have never had the virus, and the extent to which lungs repair after covid damage, we just cannot safely or reasonably say the word "grand".

Has anyone heard anything re construction sites? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can someone outline are manufactureres that supply retailers still ok to travel to work considering they're supplying a critical business?

Are takeaway deliveries gone too?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

Simple question... My wife working in shopping center. Nothing important, she's a cleaner. Most shops a closed but some a still opened (boots, Mark and Spencer, Eurogiant.. ) She's working for cleaning company and she should work tomorrow... What now? Will she break the law if she goes to work? What if Guarda stops her? Should she stay at home? Same clarification would be nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Whehey!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think off licences will close now. A good thing.

No still open as apparently beverages are on the essential list.. a joke now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just to clarify , I assume you can go for a walk with your wife/ partner who you reside with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cefh17 wrote: »
    The big difference being you had to go shopping to get groceries I'm sure. You need to go shopping eventually. You won't die if you can't go for your poxy long walk for 2 weeks (which you can, but we've been advised to keep it to within a 2k radius).

Maybe if you keep it to 2k instead of however long you want it to be because, 'sure the roads are quiet', you might meet one person instead of two.

Let's play devils advocate and you're an asymptomatic carrier and that second person you meet that you might not have on a shorter walk catches it and passes it on to their elderly parents, what then? Maybe one would get sick or worse. Or you catch it off them passing and give it to your family?

This 'meet' thing needs to be put in perspective - it's passing someone else who is at least 3m away and the time spent even that far away is 2 seconds or less.

The chances of infection via that route are zero, none, not going to happen, beyond vanishingly small. It's in the same league of ludicrousness as the danger of the hedges being coated in virus and me going and licking them for fun.
    Good for you for doing all of the recommended things like not touching your face and sanitising commonly touches surfaces. Why stick to those and not this recommendation?
    Because those are actually practical things that can and will mitigate against the risk of becoming infected, whereas walking further than 2k on a thoroughly deserted country road isn't.

I could choose to walk a different route that would actually comply with the 2k limit. I would possibly, and likely, encounter far more people than taking a 4k walk on the other route. But that's ok, isn't it, because then I'm a dutiful, obedient little drone, slavishly complying with the rules, right? Anyone who lives in an urban area who goes for a 2k walk is going to encounter more people than I would walking for 4k. But that's following the rules, so it's fine. But this isn't about the actual realities of risk or endangerment of others, it's about me saying I'm going to break the precious rules. It's about non-conformity, not risk or endangerment of others.

I say I'm going to break the precious rules and it's: 'but think of all the nurses you will kill, you self entitled sanctimonious, selfish pri​ck. But if I say I'm going to walk the more populated 2k route, and keep within the rules, it's: 'good on ya, mate, nice to see you doing the right thing, thinking of the nurses and sticking to the rules.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Made the mistake of looking at a Twitter thread just there.

Jesus Christ, if they'd a brain cell it would die of loneliness.

This place overall is by far the most sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can someone outline are manufactureres that supply retailers still ok to travel to work considering they're supplying a critical business?

The list is here
    http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/#essential-retail-outlets

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Good to see you're on the mend!

Hey Pope, still SOB and cough but temp and HR grand. I meant that I'm back if my results are clear sorry for not including that!! Got swab Monday but still no feicin results!!!!!!! Im only working part time atm and they keep asking when Im back (work in a major hospital) and Im like??????? I work Wed Thur Fri so hopefully I get the negative and can go in!

The guilt of not being in the hospital is making my anxiety go boom ^^^ and if the darts are jammed from only being one an hour Im feiced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I hope it is not inappropriate still to have some levity, hard to know but ..well...I still need laughter. So, on the first day of lockdown, I present a skill that could be practised diligently in the privacy of your home...

https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/status/1243708149149749248?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

Vicxas wrote: »

yogidc26 wrote: »

That list is retail only.

I know that some manufacturing will continue but it may depend on what it is related to. I am aware of a few people who work in companies related to medical manufacturing who have been given permits to work and travel. I would imagine the same applies for companies related to food supply and that those companies would have been contacted.

I also know of another retail company that had applied for 'essential' status and will be opening their stores tomorrow but I am not entirely certain that they have been granted any such status as of yet... They fall in a slightly grey are in fairness. I am sure there will be a lot of companies chancing it and arguing their case that they are 'essential'. Could be interesting to see how this is handled in the first few days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Neyite wrote: »
    Because everyone has the same idea and crowds flock to those nice scenic places meaning that people like my mother who live there can't even go for a walk around her own neighborhood for the hordes of thicks who let their kids run riot and invade her personal space with no parents giving a fcuk. And since kids are basically plague rats right now, she is trying to avoid them given her health issues.

I also think it’s because of the resources it’s taking to manage and police the amount of proof that were going to these places at peak times. There’s simply too many people with the same idea to go to typical places. Up until yesterday it was ok to do so but the volumes of people that can’t go work has massively increased now, there would have been even larger numbers gathering at these places. This also give gaurds powers to break up groups of teenagers. It’s not the teenagers fault they are out. At least this way it can be managed easier. It will be interesting to see what fines will be. The message is very clear now - it’s simply stay at home unless absolutely necessary - food, medicine, essential worker or caring for elderly or children.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Only one question - why?

Some live in much more crowed conditions with less access to running water. It’s good this is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I'm a delivery driver. I start at 11.30pm and drive from Limerick to Dublin, back to Limerick then onto Tralee before heading home. The roads this morning are eerily quiet. I've never seen them like that. I have seen a good few people out walking though, especially in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Hopkins - 598k

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Looks like we’re going to hit 600k today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Fuq... :( ;_;

That is one thing it's a struggle to get my head around. In over 20 years as a nurse I've seen dozens of people die, but you could always be there for them, and their family. You would be there if the patient didn't have a family, you'd be checking every few minutes near the end to make sure they didn't die alone.

When they passed away we still talk to them, do our best to make them look okay for their family, dress them in the nicest thing they had, cross their hands, give them their beads, let them hold a flower. Hopefully made it a tiny bit better for the family, and makes dealing with any death a bit easier for us too if I'm honest.

This virus takes away all of that and makes the process now almost industrial, no family (at present the guidance is one family member at the very point they die, so in reality after they've died, because they can't sit with them and guessing someone's final breath nigh on impossible), we must minimise any time with the person, only one person ever even going near them, our faces expressionless behind a mask and goggles, it's horrific, there's no dignity in death now. But this is what we will have to do.

This virus feels to me like it would watching lava from an erupting volcano slowly edge toward you and you no longer have anywhere to go, as it gets closer, and closer, and closer. Our hospital had one designated covid ward, then two, then three...... and it's not even half started yet.

Edit: for clarity the care of the dying covid patient guidance was issued yesterday and it might change.

Have this weekend off thank fcuk before nights on Monday.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Dublin cases approaching 1000. Currently at 922.

you have to understand they are really good numbers , most densely populated areas around the world are totally out of control , dublin is doing fine just stick to the plan and we will be out of this crap by mid summer

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

zvone wrote: »
    Simple question... My wife working in shopping center. Nothing important, she's a cleaner. Most shops a closed but some a still opened (boots, Mark and Spencer, Eurogiant.. ) She's working for cleaning company and she should work tomorrow... What now? Will she break the law if she goes to work? What if Guarda stops her? Should she stay at home? Same clarification would be nice...
    If they sell food in that shopping centre she should go, cleaners are the most important members of any institution nowadays

Tell me about it. In an ideal world, yes.

But they are an 'Ethnic Group' and Ethnic Group is a Royal Flush here. They won't even be required to read the booklet.......(I'm holding my tongue)

Two have tested positive in my Mother in Laws Nursing Home. I saw her through the closed window today. I was wearing a mask & gloves. It was pathetic.

Bottom line; as with every other resource, unless they get all the back-up and support that there is, way beyond what anyone else in the community gets, they will fill up those ICU beds and by Jes^s will they have a choir of Angels telling the rest of us that we need to understand and appreciate their Ethnic disadvantage.

So, much and all as it peeves me - hopefully those infected are identified, isolated and separated.

Can you not understand it is for the greater good for these groups to be tested? Firstly, many of them live in cramped conditions with different family structures to ‘settled people’. Due to some living arrangements some have no access to running water - no washing hands as easily as everyone else. Another big factor is many people from these groups are disadvantaged in receiving or comprehensively understanding the information being given due to the fact of not being able to read the information.

This shouldn’t be something that annoys you. It is for the greater good and makes sense to me that this people get priority testing from a disease control point of view. In fact it’s excellent thinking. Hopefully this will extend to families living in crowded conditions in hubs, hostels, direct provision and hotels.

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is a dog walk to the park allloweed with these new rules I’m hearing mixed thing as always

Nothing mixed. If it’s within 2km from your home yes

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

paul71 wrote: »
    And as it happens I knew that dead nurse you self entitled sanctimonious fool.

Im sorry for your loss. :( too sad - can i ask what age category was she?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Quick one guys, I work as a product builder in a medical device manufacturing plant. Still no update if we will be working or not, what are your opinions will we be opened or not?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have this weekend off thank fcuk before nights on Monday.

I hope you can relax and enjoy the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Hooked

iFreeley wrote: »
    Quick one guys, I work as a product builder in a medical device manufacturing plant. Still no update if we will be working or not, what are your opinions will we be opened or not?

Similar question... I’m in a print and packaging company. Providing a lot of print, IFU booklets, etc to the HSE, pharma sector, etc...

But the list on gov.ie only lists essential ‘retailers’?

Not sure if this is finite. Or will it encompass us?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Question.

Company I work for supplies pallets. We supply to every place.

We have machines and tool equipment plus a good few staff. Let's say we could be considered essential for shops like lidl aldi etc to continue business.

If we need a spare part for our machines but the engineers are closed. What is considered essential?

While I think safe distancing and extra precautions is great. I cant get my head around what's considered essential and nonessential

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

We live in Kildare and my elderly mum in Dublin. She has multiple health issues and would be considered high risk. I have tried 3-4 online delivery stores but Tesco's earliest delivery slot is 15 April, Supervalue the same etc so will have to drive 50 km unfortunately to get her groceries. Hope I am not stopped having to explain my actions but it's either this or she starves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What happens to people living in rural areas further than 2km from shops and essential services?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is there a list of these essential businesses yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Gael23 wrote: »
    What happens to people living in rural areas further than 2km from shops and essential services?

what do you think???

the 2km rule is for walkers and joggers only ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,915 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

regedit wrote:
    We live in Kildare and my elderly mum in Dublin. She has multiple health issues and would be considered high risk. I have tried 3-4 online delivery stores but Tesco's earliest delivery slot is 15 April, Supervalue the same etc so will have to drive 50 km unfortunately to get her groceries. Hope I am not stopped having to explain my actions but it's either this or she starves!

You should be fine, I'd imagine Gardai will understand, and this is permitted under new rules. Best of luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Self employed Electrician here. I'm guessing my services are still considered essential in the event of a break down?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You should be fine, I'd imagine Gardai will understand, and this is permitted under new rules. Best of luck

I’ll be driving food to my folks today, same as you couldn’t get a delivery. I’ll just explain it to the guards. They will know you are genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

regedit wrote: »

One of the exceptions to the 2km rule is if you have to care for a family member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭munster87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

regedit wrote: »

Could you take her to stay with you for a while?

• Advertisement

ewc78 wrote: »
    Self employed Electrician here. I'm guessing my services are still considered essential in the event of a break down?

Where will you get your parts? This idea of essential and nonessential really doesnt make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Yeah call outs are on the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Hooked

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

Updated list here BUT I still can’t be sure if they are going to amend it... as it only lists retailers???

It also says those stores must observe physical distancing but also says we should only go out for food and medicine? So do I go to B&Q to get repair materials - or am I not allowed out with the exception of food/medical.

I’m all for these measures but the info is contradictory

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Obviously if your supermarket/chemist is more than 2km away you can go for your essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Could you take her to stay with you for a while?

We have kids and the fear is they could pass it on if they somehow acquire it. Children have very good immunity. Elderly people not so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Where will you get your parts? This idea of essential and nonessential really doesnt make sense

Would have plenty of parts at home. Just wondering if I get a phone call to say someone has no power in sockets or heating is not working or something then would that be considered a essential service to go fix them?
    Then again do I really want to be going into someone else's house now, but on the other hand I'd hate to see someone stuck with no power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

vunerable groups
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/vulnerablegroupsguidance/
    surprised people with cardiac issues not mentioned more or high blood pressure or vision impaired.

Would have plenty of parts at home. Just wondering if I get a phone call to say someone has no power in sockets or heating is not working or something then would that be considered a essential service to go fix them?
    Then again do I really want to be going into someone else's house now, but on the other hand I'd hate to see someone stuck with no power.

That's a fair point. But I'm sure there is a lot of sparks in the country that wont be as lucky as you to have everything needed to carry out there job... while I think you should be considered essential. What's to say your parts provider isnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Hooked wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/

Updated list here BUT I still can’t be sure if they are going to amend it... as it only lists retailers???

It also says those stores must observe physical distancing but also says we should only go out for food and medicine? So do I go to B&Q to get repair materials - or am I not allowed out with the exception of food/medical.

I’m all for these measures but the info is contradictory

No mention of what types of manufacturing/construction which is essential?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Regarding your 10k run/walk or 40k cycle. Many say they are living in isolated rural areas. Ok I'm very familiar with that, my home place is above as isolated as you can get.

However why not look on it as an exercise in self discipline to adhere by the guidelines? It is lent after all... It's all me, me, me my routine, I want to stay in shape etc.

It's also very easy to organise circuit training in your garage or garden with free weights, core exercises. You can run the perimeter of the circle within a 2k radius, over 12k.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

So are all construction sites closed now?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement