Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

depcon wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-oxygen-equipment-meant-for-ireland-held-back-by-italy-1.4214229?mode=amp

These were mention as part of the equipment the government had secured. Are we going to start banning the exportation of ventilators?

I saw the planes this week going over my house US bound and wondered what the hell.... I then realised they were the planes full of medical supplies being exported.
    Earlier in the week I read that Bojo had commissioned Dyson to make respirators and thought that odd. But then I thought maybe he’s right, the EU solidarity seems to be gone out the window and it’s one big me fein **** show, and every country for themselves. Still, we in Ireland have a track record for exporting things we need most ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Ninthlife wrote: »
    So youre saying we stiff them

Nah, we just need to send some hard men in to negotiate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

minikin wrote: »
    Nah, we just need to send some hard men in to negotiate.

Rise to the occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

depcon wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-oxygen-equipment-meant-for-ireland-held-back-by-italy-1.4214229?mode=amp

These were mention as part of the equipment the government had secured. Are we going to start banning the exportation of ventilators?

Oh God can we get Oxygen in Ireland?
    Based on that model we should be allowed keep ventilators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

weisses wrote: »
    Was listening to an ICU manager in Holland and he said that every single one in critical care and on the ventilator because of covid was overweight and or obese
    Being overweight or obese by BMI seems to be a factor in the UK too. I'll try and dig up the data I read, but IIRC in something like thirty ICU patients only one was underweight, three were in the normal BMI category, the rest were obese. Tiny sample size mind you. I've noticed in the US most of the cases I've seen reported of people who died, particularly men "with no underlying disease", were obese. In Asia I haven't seen any breakdown by weight/BMI, but they're far less likely to be fat in the first place. Breathing difficulties like apnea are more common in the overweight, so maybe that's a part of it? Might it be one factor to explain why women are less likely to die from this, because if they are obese the fat is more likely to be on hips and thighs rather than abdominal, so their breathing is less affected? This seems to be the case with sleep apnea.

If obesity is a significant factor then places like the US are in serious trouble. We're not too rosy here when Irish men have one the highest rates of obesity in the EU.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The likes of DHL and UPS are they still operating under the new guidelines?

DPD say they will not be affected by a lockdown but this hasn't been updated.

https://dpd.ie/DPD-Ireland-Corona-Virus-Updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Gynoid wrote: »
    And what do you think about ordinary breathing and aerosolised particles? If you are chatting with someone outside on a frosty morning it is interesting how far the visible breath stream goes, and certainly if you are in a room with someone who has very bad breath and is talking to you, you could be 10 foot away from them but quite soon the smell reaches you. Big whopping sneezes may not be the only problem? I dont know. Even as a medical person who has far more knowledge perhaps you dont know yet with this thing? There are too many gaps in our knowledge. Well, in my opinion anyway. I am not going around freaked out or anything, as I have something of a fatalistic streak. But I dont know for sure on this 2 metres, 3 metres, whatever business. Hmmmmm.

There was an expert on the radio the other day saying breathing did not transmit the virus just coughing and sneezing.

I don’t know myself it’s hard to understand.

You would assume that the vast majority of people are controlling their coughs and sneezes and not shooting them out.
    Yet the virus is still spreading.
    Some people spit unintentionally when they are talking or pronouncing hard sounds like P, T and C etc. You would imagine that would spread the virus. This would especially be the case when people are keeping their distance and talking from two metres and trying to projecting their voice that bit more. Better off not talking to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Wibbs wrote: »
    Being overweight or obese by BMI seems to be a factor in the UK too.

Americans are fuc.ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Conor Mcgregor speech on lockdown
    Good he’s trying to help!
    He mentioned 5 weeks first 2 weeks then 3 more weeks and talked about shutting the airports.

• Advertisement

voluntary wrote: »
    Americans are fuc.ed

fast food is considered an essential service here in Ireland, Irish are fecked

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why arent we publishing the recovered numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Americans are fuc.ed

I wonder is it the obesity itself or the fact that most obese people would have reduced lung capacity due to lack of exercise. I know there would be some who are the exception to the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,534 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Americans are fuc.ed

We are a nation that swamped a new donut joint that opened, formed queues that gridlocked towns when Maccy D's was about to shut.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Vicxas wrote: »

Only 5 recovered (according to Worldometer).

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

strathspey wrote: »
    Intel isn't closing apparently. It's manufacturing sites are regarded as an essential service. Now the cynic in me says isn't it amazing how we have involved that we are now as dependent on PC chips as we are on food for survival.

Allowing big companies to decide themselves that they're essential is going to cause chaos. There's over 5000 people on site there daily, less now with some working from home, but the worker population left now (technicians) realistically can't socially distance and do work much the same as a building site.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

600,000 cases now, worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

He mentioned 5 weeks first 2 weeks then 3 more weeks and talked about shutting the airports.

Couple of less assaults during this lockdown period is a positive as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dffgsdf

Sorry if this has been asked. It’s a very big thread. Are restaurant food delivery services staying open? My husband is a restaurant manager and they switched to deliveries these past couple weeks when the place shut. No idea if he’s still got work now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭plodder

bekker wrote: »
    I wonder if holiday homes are excluded?

Maybe a better definition was required.

Such as 'principle permanent residence'.

Home is home. I expect it is defined as main residence in the regulation. you don't want to be "that f**Ker from Dublin who brought the coronavirus here"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Dffgsdf wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked. It’s a very big thread. Are restaurant food delivery services staying open? My husband is a restaurant manager and they switched to deliveries these past couple weeks when the place shut. No idea if he’s still got work now.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Gynoid wrote: »
    This idea that most are grand when they catch it is unproven.
    It may certainly be so but I do not think we have the data yet and therefore an abundance of caution is the wisest route.
    A doctor in a video from a NY hospital said people are ending up in her ICU for completely different reasons, eg abdominal pain or car crash, no covid symptoms, and yet CT scans show their lungs have been affected by coronavirus. I presume affected means in some way damaged.

Until we know the extent of damage, to even asymptomatic people who presume they have never had the virus, and the extent to which lungs repair after covid damage, we just cannot safely or reasonably say the word "grand".

Has anyone heard anything re construction sites? Thanks.

Yes I feel this is a new disease and even people with no symptoms can have long term affects that we don’t know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

plodder wrote: »
    Home is home. I expect it is defined as main residence in the regulation. you don't want to be "that f**Ker from Dublin who brought the coronavirus here"

That fucker from Dublin is already in Wexford. Holiday homes that only see action during the summer have people in them all the time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,082 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I hope you can relax and enjoy the weekend!

Thanks, you too. I think I should probably step away from this thread though :) *

*Certainly don't want to be disparaging about the thread/forum though, what I've read has all been very civilised by Internet standards.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

FVP3 wrote: »
    Your assumption that 1000 euro per month given to everybody would cause an equivalent price increase equal to 1000 euro across all products is unfounded, as it assumes the supply of all goods are inelastic.

edit:

We should perhaps use another thread for this.

That isn’t an assumption I made though. I was talking about housing cost and essential consumer goods. Moreover supply elasticity certainly isn’t the only parameter at play with regards to inflation, and even if it was, as we well know in this country housing supply certainly isn’t elastic.

I think this MMT thigh will really burn “the people” it is supposed to help in the end, as the wealthy will have better ways to protect their wealth through assets who value isn’t being destroyed (even buying more assets with loans in a currency who’s value is being destroyed), while your average joe will see the actual purchasing power of the money on their savings account collapse.

Anyway, yes it is a discussion for another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Being overweight or obese by BMI seems to be a factor in the UK too. I'll try and dig up the data I read, but IIRC in something like thirty ICU patients only one was underweight, three were in the normal BMI category, the rest were obese. Tiny sample size mind you. I've noticed in the US most of the cases I've seen reported of people who died, particularly men "with no underlying disease", were obese. In Asia I haven't seen any breakdown by weight/BMI, but they're far less likely to be fat in the first place. Breathing difficulties like apnea are more common in the overweight, so maybe that's a part of it? Might it be one factor to explain why women are less likely to die from this, because if they are obese the fat is more likely to be on hips and thighs rather than abdominal, so their breathing is less affected? This seems to be the case with sleep apnea.

If obesity is a significant factor then places like the US are in serious trouble. We're not too rosy here when Irish men have one the highest rates of obesity in the EU.

Just looked up the HSE stats, only 4 in 10 Irish people are not overweight or obese!

This is interesting, Northern Italy always has excess deaths from flu

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1243618071622766592

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

looks like the government listened to him

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

as i am on self isolation returned from the middle east tues no symptoms was temp checked in abu Dhabi nothing in dublin airport.
    listening to the news people still on cruses WTF after the many Feb cruse ship outbreaks some people are beyond reach

• Advertisement

....listening to the news people still on cruses WTF....

That shocked me! Poeple....Irish people....still on cruises! FFS!

On this one AFAIK: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52072703

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

listening to the news people still on cruses WTF after the many Feb cruse ship outbreaks some people are beyond reach

Seriously?! I thought most if not all cruise lines had stopped their sailings - going on a cruise as a guest or as a crew member is pretty much asking to get contaminated :-/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

snotboogie wrote: »
    Just looked up the HSE stats, only 4 in 10 Irish people are not overweight or obese!
    Aye, it's a scary stat alright. Laughing about the "fat Yanks" is ironic and hypocritical.
    silverharp wrote: »
    This is interesting, Northern Italy always has excess deaths from flu

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1243618071622766592
    Older demographic and higher industrial pollution and more spread among closer knit family groups? Like this evil pox I suppose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Vicxas wrote: »

They can only be published as recovered following two successful tests of being clear of the virus under the WHO reporting guidelines, at the moment testing is limited to diagnosis rather than recovery I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

So are factories all closing now or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

cnocbui wrote: »
    This 'meet' thing needs to be put in perspective - it's passing someone else who is at least 3m away and the time spent even that far away is 2 seconds or less.

The chances of infection via that route are zero, none, not going to happen, beyond vanishingly small. It's in the same league of ludicrousness as the danger of the hedges being coated in virus and me going and licking them for fun.

Because those are actually practical things that can and will mitigate against the risk of becoming infected, whereas walking further than 2k on a thoroughly deserted country road isn't.

I could choose to walk a different route that would actually comply with the 2k limit. I would possibly, and likely, encounter far more people than taking a 4k walk on the other route. But that's ok, isn't it, because then I'm a dutiful, obedient little drone, slavishly complying with the rules, right? Anyone who lives in an urban area who goes for a 2k walk is going to encounter more people than I would walking for 4k. But that's following the rules, so it's fine. But this isn't about the actual realities of risk or endangerment of others, it's about me saying I'm going to break the precious rules. It's about non-conformity, not risk or endangerment of others.

I say I'm going to break the precious rules and it's: 'but think of all the nurses you will kill, you self entitled sanctimonious, selfish pri​ck. But if I say I'm going to walk the more populated 2k route, and keep within the rules, it's: 'good on ya, mate, nice to see you doing the right thing, thinking of the nurses and sticking to the rules.'

I think the rules are just easier to enforce when people stick to where they are meant to. While you sound responsible there are plenty others that really lack common sense. We saw how packed some of the hotspots are so I say this is remove that added headache for resources.

You’d also have some people going to completely isolated areas unnecessarily. This also sucks from resources if something happens. Eg car accident, personal accident, etc. So I say they are just trying to minimise resources being used in situations like that also.

The less you less your house the less this above situations will arise. Personally I think the 2km is great to be able to still have so will not take it for granted as even that could be gone soon.

Is also easier to ban people meeting full stop. A lot of people were taking this seriously but many weren’t and still meeting people outdoors etc and keeping the two meter distance. I know of a tennis club that was still opening it’s courts and adults were defending that saying there is no contact - they were all using same toilet, using the same gate, not to mention the balls being handled and passed to each other. It’s easier to just say no one is to meet at all instead of trying to expect some people to be responsible because many are not

• Advertisement

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I think the rules are just easier to enforce when people stick to where they are meant to. While you sound responsible there are plenty others that really lack common sense. We saw how packed some of the hotspots are so I say this is remove that added headache for resources.
    Yeah, Cnocbui has thought about this, but has made the fatal error in thinking others, well, think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Aye, it's a scary stat alright. Laughing about the "fat Yanks" is ironic and hypocritical.

Older demographic and higher industrial pollution and more spread among closer knit family groups? Like this evil pox I suppose.

In fairness, being obese in America is on a whole other scale. Obese here is a very loose term. I had a mate who played inter county hurling, wasn't a pick on him but was heavy due to muscle. He was classified as obese in Ireland however due to his height to weight ratio. Nearly all rugby players fall into the same category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

A lot of this is because people had paid for holiday, Government has not told travel operators to cancel, so people can't get their money back. People probably think
    a)I've paid so not wasting the money
    B) if it's not been cancelled it must be ok to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Just watched some of Simon Harris's Q&A specifically targeted at children from RTE News Now on YouTube. On a day when he started with speaking to Pat Kenny about the situation, was no doubt heavily involved in discussions and meetings all day, attended the press conference this evening and was tweeting close to midnight both thanking people for their effort and reminding them to keep it up he still found some time to record the copy for the broadcast.
    And, the comments are turned off on YouTube for that particular video while other videos from RTE relating to the virus have comments open.

I find it somewhat upsetting that given all the above, some people would use a children's video on YouTube to spout some bile or nonsense leading to them being closed.

This episode we are experiencing is showing many people to be heroes, it is also showing some others (vastly the minority I believe thankfully) to be severely deficient in some part of their lives.
    Nothing to do with them being afraid of bile, YouTube banned comments on videos for children on account of perverts using cryptic comments to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

daheff wrote: »
    A lot of this is because people had paid for holiday, Government has not told travel operators to cancel, so people can't get their money back. People probably think

And C : people are stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

threeball wrote: »
    In fairness, being obese in America is on a whole other scale. Obese here is a very loose term. I had a mate who played inter county hurling, wasn't a pick on him but was heavy due to muscle. He was classified as obese in Ireland however due to his height to weight ratio. Nearly all rugby players fall into the same category

The BMI scale.

It will be interesting to see how much office work will be permitted on Monday. We deal with some old fashioned business customers who still pay be cheque and are due payments on Monday. If they can't get into the office, we won't be able to pay any staff for anything done at home or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Some businesses will NO longer be able to open as normal and will instead only be allowed offer an emergency call-out or delivery services.

They include, opticians, motor repair and bicycle repair outlets.

Hardware stores are also to have their opening hours restricted to call-out or delivery.

Farm equipment sellers and gardening, farming or agricultural supply stores must also limit their operation to call-out and delivery.

A similar restriction now also applies to electrical stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Watching news reports this morning on various channels from all around the world, why is it that I'm seeing spraying being done on a massive scale in other countries, but haven't seen anything similarly being done here in Ireland. How come?

Apologies if this question was already asked in this fast-moving thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

daheff wrote: »

Why do people want the government to wipe their hole for them. Are their brains so redundant that they can't make a sensible decision without being told or is it just the usual abdicating responsibility and blame someone else

Kivaro wrote: »
    Watching news reports this morning on various channels from all around the world, why is it that I'm seeing spraying being done on a massive scale in other countries, but haven't seen anything similarly being done here in Ireland. How come?

Apologies if this question was already asked in this fast-moving thread.
    However, misting sanitizer in the air or on the street is likely ineffective, because the virus isn't airborne and people don't touch the street that often.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sanitation-disinfection-around-the-world-in-photos-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Don't lick the road, be healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Should people be going for a walk with the kids?
    As long as its within 2 k of the home,
    As I seen when exercise was mentioned it said breif individual exercises

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

threeball wrote: »
    Why do people want the government to wipe their hole for them. Are their brains so redundant that they can't make a sensible decision without being told or is it just the usual abdicating responsibility and blame someone else

Basically Yes

Shin

Kivaro wrote: »

I think, in the main, it's optics! It would be impossible to spray/disinfect all surfaces in the public realm and in any case, transfer of the virus is mainly person to person.

Similar to the optics of taking temperatures at airports!

Should people be going for a walk with the kids?
    As long as its within 2 k of the home,
    As I seen when exercise was mentioned it said breif individual exercises

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

Stay up to date with factual information through the official channels.

In this case:
    Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:
    to take brief individual physical exercise within your locality, which may include children from your household within 2 kilometres of your home and adhering to strict 2 metre social distancing measures

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement