Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

threeball wrote: »
    In fairness, being obese in America is on a whole other scale. Obese here is a very loose term. I had a mate who played inter county hurling, wasn't a pick on him but was heavy due to muscle. He was classified as obese in Ireland however due to his height to weight ratio. Nearly all rugby players fall into the same category
    You could say similar of American Football players T. Sure some healthy men who are very muscled(and shorter) have a BMI that strays into obese, but the vast majority of those measured as obese are not intercounty GAA lads or rugby lads, they're simply overweight. Vanishingly few women with overweight BMI's would fit that muscle height/weight category either. In essence if your BMI is over 25, you're far more likely to be fat than muscled. If it's over thirty and it's muscle, you've just won Mr Universe without trying.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

voluntary wrote: »
    Americans are fuc.ed

The Irish are one of the most obese nations in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Hopkins - breached the 600k mark

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Looks like we’re on that exponential graph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

there wont be a fish left in the sea or bees or wildlife anywhere if the poison the water and air with chemicals and bleach.Where so they think the run off for these chemicals go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

shinzon wrote: »
    Basically Yes

Shin

Heard a young wan one rte crying about getting home yesterday from abroad. Her government had abandoned her and it hurt.

No mention that she had the guts of a month to either not go or get back. People like that sicken my hole.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Should people be going for a walk with the kids?
    As long as its within 2 k of the home,
    As I seen when exercise was mentioned it said breif individual exercises

Yes, but just one parent....that's the 'individual' bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Trump invoking the Defence Production Act and using a Presidential Order to use GM to produce ventilators, did he not recently say he didn't need them?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1243559373395410957?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Restriction rule; You need something from your office to work on Monday and for the forseeable. With Leo's restrictions, would you go to the office right now to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Sweet suffering Jesus, walk the first 2 km of your favoured route, turn round and walk back. If you need to, repeat. It really isn't difficult.

During the Foot and Mouth epidemic we all* stopped walking in the countryside from early February until early May - it was difficult, but we managed it.

*Many of us.
    cnocbui wrote: »

I could choose to walk a different route that would actually comply with the 2k limit. I would possibly, and likely, encounter far more people than taking a 4k walk on the other route. But that's ok, isn't it, because then I'm a dutiful, obedient little drone, slavishly complying with the rules, right? Anyone who lives in an urban area who goes for a 2k walk is going to encounter more people than I would walking for 4k. But that's following the rules, so it's fine. But this isn't about the actual realities of risk or endangerment of others, it's about me saying I'm going to break the precious rules. It's about non-conformity, not risk or endangerment of others.

I say I'm going to break the precious rules and it's: 'but think of all the nurses you will kill, you self entitled sanctimonious, selfish pri​ck. But if I say I'm going to walk the more populated 2k route, and keep within the rules, it's: 'good on ya, mate, nice to see you doing the right thing, thinking of the nurses and sticking to the rules.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

DOCARCH wrote: »

That shocked me! Poeple....Irish people....still on cruises! FFS!

On this one AFAIK: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52072703

I read somewhere about 3 & 4 month world cruises knocking around the South Pacific with nobody willing to let them dock. They are carrying on as normal with no C virus on board. Perhaps it will be up to them to repopulated the planet when we are gone, I sure hope Doug from Wisconsin can still get it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Hopkins - breached the 600k mark

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Looks like we’re on that exponential graph.

Its after going up over 100000 in just over 24hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Kivaro wrote: »
    Watching news reports this morning on various channels from all around the world, why is it that I'm seeing spraying being done on a massive scale in other countries, but haven't seen anything similarly being done here in Ireland. How come?

Apologies if this question was already asked in this fast-moving thread.

My workplace was sprayed after someone displayed multiple symptoms

I guess it's limited to places where deemed necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yeah, Cnocbui has thought about this, but has made the fatal error in thinking others, well, think.

I have no doubt that people would be still going to bray head, Lahinch etc in their droves this weekend and it just adds to pressure on the resources we don’t have at the moment.

Admittedly up until yesterday I still went to beaches and outdoor areas but not anywhere that was busy and not anywhere that had cramped car parks for example. Only went to places safe from a social distancing point of view as I’m terrified of questioning if I could have done more if someone in my family gets it.

I don’t want to live with “did that cause them to get it, would they have been ok if I didn’t go to x place that day, could I have done more to protect them” etc

I even avoid going to shops and petrol stations now unless I really have to. Just out of fear of passing it to someone I love. Not even just older people, we don’t know if it causes long term damage to children. Its a new disease and that is enough to put the fear into me! But not in a panic way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

I think, in the main, it's optics! It would be impossible to spray/disinfect all surfaces in the public realm and in any case, transfer of the virus is mainly person to person.

Similar to the optics of taking temperatures at airports!

I think so too. Fair enough I see in some countries them wiping hand rails etc or targeting specific surfaces.

But indiscriminate spraying of road surfaces is probably useless and pure optics. Look at the type of countries doing it too:

Brazil, Turkey, Myanmar, Mexico, Colombia, China, Syria, Ukraine, Thailand. Pictures of spraying pavements. Some of these countries have questionable regimes and murky transparency and I wouldn't be surprised if it was just water in some of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

saabsaab wrote: »
    Not true at all the 2k limit is for exercise. You shop where you usually can even if outside 2k.

I was being ironic in response to a previous poster, who seemed to think we couldn’t even travel more than 2km to a shop :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

daheff wrote: »
    A lot of this is because people had paid for holiday, Government has not told travel operators to cancel, so people can't get their money back. People probably think
    a)I've paid so not wasting the money
    B) if it's not been cancelled it must be ok to go.

That gives me the shudders.

GM228 wrote: »
    Trump invoking the Defence Production Act and using a Presidential Order to use GM to produce ventilators, did he not recently say he didn't need them?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1243559373395410957?s=19

Someone only told him a covid 19 patient needs a ventilator for 21days rather than the usual 4-5days for flu. Sh*ts getting real over their am glad were in a lockdown now next thing we need to do is shut airports and ports

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Yes, but just one parent....that's the 'individual' bit.

That seems incorrect. How does it make sense for kids to have less supervision when outside the home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

sideswipe wrote: »
    I read somewhere about 3 & 4 month world cruises knocking around the South Pacific with nobody willing to let them dock. They are carrying on as normal with no C virus on board. Perhaps it will be up to them to repopulated the planet when we are gone, I sure hope Doug from Wisconsin can still get it up.

Well its actually a pretty good place to isolate yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jin luk wrote: »
    Someone only told him a covid 19 patient needs a ventilator for 21days rather than the usual 4-5days for flu. Sh*ts getting real over their am glad were in a lockdown now next thing we need to do is shut airports and ports

Was it a doctor or just someone down the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Conor Mcgregor speech on lockdown
    Good he’s trying to help!
    He mentioned 5 weeks first 2 weeks then 3 more weeks and talked about shutting the airports.

I'd be very much be in the 'cant stand the sight or sound of McGregor' brigade but he's doing his bit and he has given a million quid to help the effort.

Fairplay to him, when this is all over- I will definitely remember the people & businesses that helped and he very much falls into that category.

We have a country of a shedload of millionaires and some billionaires - these people need to put their money where their mouth is, like McGregor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

cL0h wrote: »
    That seems incorrect. How does it make sense for kids to have less supervision when outside the home?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

looks like the government listened to him

Nobody gives a damn what that junkie scumbag thinks. Restrictions would have been planned well before that knackbag took to social media.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

cL0h wrote: »

That's what it says....'individual exercise' (i.e. on your own). Leave the kids at home!

niallo27 wrote: »
    Was it a doctor or just someone down the shop.

The fella i got my dog off has an uncle in ohio whos nephew wife is in a barracks in guam and her grandmother is a wife of trumps cousin and said it a family dinner to him supposedly

That's what it says....'individual exercise' (i.e. on your own). Leave the kids at home!

I don’t think that the guards are going to stop someone exercising with their kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Wibbs wrote: »
    You could say similar of American Football players T. Sure some healthy men who are very muscled(and shorter) have a BMI that strays into obese, but the vast majority of those measured as obese are not intercounty GAA lads or rugby lads, they're simply overweight. Vanishingly few women with overweight BMI's would fit that muscle height/weight category either. In essence if your BMI is over 25, you're far more likely to be fat than muscled. If it's over thirty and it's muscle, you've just won Mr Universe without trying.

:pac: I've a BMI of 26.5. I'm 5ft 11 and 86kg and lean. This is a pretty typical height and weight for anyone into sport. You don't need to be Mr Universe to have a BMI over 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

I know what the published rules are. I don't like making a personal statement but you clearly don't have kids. This needs clarification by an official source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I'd be very much be in the 'cant stand the sight or sound of McGregor' brigade but he's doing his bit and he has given a million quid to help the effort.

Fairplay to him, when this is all over- I will definitely remember the people & businesses that helped and he very much falls into that category.

We have a country of a shedload of millionaires and some billionaires - these people need to put their money where their mouth is, like McGregor

no they dont, why should they? they pay tax like everyone else, way more than most people, it is up to our government to get us through this not millionaires.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Nobody gives a damn what that junkie scumbag thinks. Restrictions would have been planned well before that knackbag took to social media.

I'm not sure do you live in Dublin or not but the main demographic of people who have not been adhering to the social distancing requests have been groups of teenage boys and you just see gangs of them hanging around when you are out walking/driving.

The decision to get one of their idols to speak to them directly is a very intelligent one to be fair. He might be a fairly distasteful character but he has a massive following and we need everyone to comply for it to work

• Advertisement

Jin luk wrote: »

How are essential supplies going to get in?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    no they dont, why should they? they pay tax like everyone else, way more than most people, it is up to our government to get us through this not millionaires.

A lot of them dont pay their fair share of tax for one.

Secondly a the health systems needs volunteers and money right now - a lot of tax payers who have free time are offering it up as thats all they can give but if you have the means to help out financially then you should.

The gov dont have the money and we are facing into a massive recession in the short term so if people have the money to help out in this once in a lifetime national crisis then its time to pony up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's always great when people contribute to charity and then tell everyone about it and how much they gave - so classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Just watched trump, surrounded by a tight group of yes men, signing an order. He turned round and handed the pen to the drone behind him, and he took it saying "thank you Mr. President". Then Trump reached into a box full of pens and started handing them out to the whole group.

No social distancing and handing pens from one hand to another's hand. A great example to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

This one of the things I’m asking about.

I need to go out tomorrow on an errand. Collect one small package from my sister’s house. I have to walk and will not be interacting with anyone.

Is it now a crime to walk from one place to another?

I’m the carer for my grandmother and I don’t want a Garda who has been interacting with other people coming up to me and potentially infecting me.

With the greatest of respect, the essential item you refer to is a remote for your TV. That is not an essential item despite what you may think.

As someone who is a carer, you should be so focused on making sure that you bring zero infection into your house . The irony of you saying you don't want a Garda potențally infecting you. You can control that by staying at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Putting together a page with some online services that have been made free during this whole thing. Might interest some here

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/giveback/

This is a fantastic resource - thank you very much. Just signed up for the free fender guitar tutorials.

It's always great when people contribute to charity and then tell everyone about it and how much they gave - so classy.

Some people are never f*ckin happy.

He's giving a hand - its a lot more than others are doing

A lot of them dont pay their fair share of tax for one.

Secondly a the health systems needs volunteers and money right now - a lot of tax payers who have free time are offering it up as thats all they can give but if you have the means to help out financially then you should.

it is easy for people who arent millionaires to say the millionaires should give their money to the country at this time. if they want to that is ok but it shouldnt be expected of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Anyone know about these 2:

General factories? (Presume will close if not making medical devices)

Building sites?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Can we just take a moment for society, and remembering that the selfish one life is worth more brigade will destroy the world. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

And what did you do to help?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Logan Roy wrote: »
    :pac: I've a BMI of 26.5. I'm 5ft 11 and 86kg and lean. This is a pretty typical height and weight for anyone into sport. You don't need to be Mr Universe to have a BMI over 25.
    Lean but not great at reading on; if your BMI is over 25, you're far more likely to be fat than muscled. If it's over thirty and it's muscle, you've just won Mr Universe without trying.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Can we just take a moment for society, and remembering that the selfish one life is worth more brigade will destroy the world. Thanks.

Is that like a riddle

Kivaro wrote: »
    Watching news reports this morning on various channels from all around the world, why is it that I'm seeing spraying being done on a massive scale in other countries, but haven't seen anything similarly being done here in Ireland. How come?

Apologies if this question was already asked in this fast-moving thread.

I imagine the fact that we struggle to regularly grit and maintain the main roads here during a bad winter doesn't bode well for mass-disinfecting of towns and cities.

We're tiny compared to some of these countries and their populations, absolutely minuscule compared to China. We're just not equipped for a full military-imposed lockdown, for disinfecting towns and cities, or some of these heavier measures we see other countries employing to tackle the pandemic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for what our services can do and are doing in this crisis, and I understand why Ireland can't just have all this equipment and personnel on standby. The likes of China are ready to go out and start disinfecting cities not just in case of pandemics, but because they are a world superpower who could be hit with a chemical or biological attack. Their military and the bodies available for government work dwarf our population total. Similar for South Korea who could be blitzed from the North at a moment's notice. A lot of these countries have a large military, which is a help in times like these. As we've seen in the news, our limited numbers in the Army have already been deployed to help with the crisis.

In Ireland we seem to make the best with what we have in a crisis, and also adapt during it. As far as this crisis goes, I think our government and decision makers are doing just about all they can with the limited human resources and infrastructure at their disposal. If it comes to us having to disinfect towns and cities, well god help us, but I'm sure we'll find a way. We're just not ready for that yet I'd say.

Edit: I imagine our Fire Service and/or their vehicles will come largely into play if we have to start mass disinfecting urban areas.

How are essential supplies going to get in?

I meant closed as in passengers not supplies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

walshb wrote: »
    This million euro is a nonsense..

The government have heaps of money for this.

Million euro us like spit in the ocean...

Anyone really think the govt are looking for an MMA fighter and his million euro?

Sucker punching men in bars is what Conor will be remembered for, not a million euro donation for face masks..
    Is probably a catch anyway. Like the houses he was building for the homeless and then sold them for 500k each to a housing body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

walshb wrote: »
    This million euro is a nonsense..

The government have heaps of money for this.

Million euro us like spit in the ocean...

Anyone really think the govt are looking for an MMA fighter and his million euro?

Sucker punching men in bars is what Conor will be remembered for, not a million euro donation for face masks..

Respect it as a generous donation. How many million did Bono donate?

Respect it as a generous donation. How many million did Bono donate?

come on, mcgreor doesnt care about Irish people, all he cares about is money, you would be an idiot to think otherwise. that speech was so cringy.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it is easy for people who arent millionaires to say the millionaires should give their money to the country at this time. if they want to that is ok but it shouldnt be expected of them.

I'm not saying its expected of them but if you have substantial means and your country is struggling to deal with a global pandemic due to a lack of money & resources then I would, at the end of it all, like to look back & say I helped to save some lives by helping in whatever way I could.

We dont have enough beds/equipment/facilities/PPE for staff - we need money to procure these and we dont have it.

This situation will only be exacerbated by the tax take falling massively due to a rise in unemployment (coupled with the increase in social welfare expenditure) - so essentially we are f*cked for cash and people will die because of this.

So if I had, lets say, 300 mill then I think giving 5 mill to save a few lives would still leave me in fairly ok financial position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Ficheall wrote: »

The Dutch seem a little lax in their approach to the coronavirus - for example, they're saying it's fine for kids to go and play with each other if they are not symptomatic https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/questions-and-answers#039;s%20Novel%20coronavirus%20in%20China - I'd take anything they say with a large pinch of salt..

Maybe their approach is the right one and we are overreacting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement