Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Some people are never f*ckin happy.
    +1 Actually P, learning that many years ago was a bloody great life lesson to learn and one I've tried to pass on to others. There is quite a large percentage of people who are never fcuking happy. There's always a bloody whinge, no matter what the world around them or their life is like. There may be some clinical psychological term for such people, but my position is to be humanly and temporarily sympathetic, but otherwise they are to be avoided like the very plague and good god never go out with one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is probably a catch anyway. Like the houses he was building for the homeless and then sold them for 500k each to a housing body

Guaranteed there is a clawback if he did donate this amount...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Underground

Italy withholding the delivery of 1,000 oxygen hoods meant for Ireland citing the importance of domestic need over exports.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

The object of this is to make people stay at home.The aim is to reduce community transmissions dramatically.If this is the case the vast majority of new cases will be household transmissions reducing the need for contact tracing.

Outside of the most obvious reasons for leaving your home such as necessary work,shopping etc the only real discretionary reason is exercise.This has been curtailed to a radius of 2km from your home.The reasoning behind this is to make it more difficult for people to visit other households and claim they were exercising if questioned.

I am stunned at the number of Me Me Me people on this thread who state the they will ignore this part of the requirement as they cant be spreading the virus if they go for their normal run. They are either unable or unwilling to realise the reasoning behind the 2km rule which is as outlined.

They are exactly the same mentality as those people who failed to adhere to social distancing...they don't want to realise that the rule is there for a reason.

What they dont understand is that this is not yet a total lockdown.Their desire to go for lengthy runs will mean that the Govt. might have to play their final card which will result in virtually no exercise at all being permitted.If this happens we will know who to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The Sean Kelly's amongst us can rig up their spinning stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

paul71 wrote: »
    Jayus there are an awful lot of Forest Gumps in Ireland suddenly.

More like Forest Gimp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Italy withholding the delivery of 1,000 oxygen hoods meant for Ireland citing the importance of domestic need over exports.

Understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Get Real wrote: »
    I think so too. Fair enough I see in some countries them wiping hand rails etc or targeting specific surfaces.

But indiscriminate spraying of road surfaces is probably useless and pure optics. Look at the type of countries doing it too:

Brazil, Turkey, Myanmar, Mexico, Colombia, China, Syria, Ukraine, Thailand. Pictures of spraying pavements. Some of these countries have questionable regimes and murky transparency and I wouldn't be surprised if it was just water in some of them!

The mas spraying is based on chemical warfare containment,
    Most top scientists believe it has little or no affect, but does work for the general public psyche ,as it shows the state is taking action.
    It is also an effective measure to keep people indoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 Actually P, learning that many years ago was a bloody great life lesson to learn and one I've tried to pass on to others. There is quite a large percentage of people who are never fcuking happy. There's always a bloody whinge, no matter what the world around them or their life is like. There may be some clinical psychological term for such people, but my position is to be humanly and temporarily sympathetic, but otherwise they are to be avoided like the very plague and good god never go out with one.

I agree with you completely - it's hard to fathom in this time

I've been a large critic of McGregor and his act over the years but it isnt the time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smallfryy

Wow seems we really like our walks here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's always great when people contribute to charity and then tell everyone about it and how much they gave - so classy.

Whatever about the lack of class, it might serve to encourage others are to do the same, so why keep it quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

I'm not saying its expected of them but if you have substantial means and your country is struggling to deal with a global pandemic due to a lack of money & resources then I would, at the end of it all, like to look back & say I helped to save some lives by helping in whatever way I could.

We dont have enough beds/equipment/facilities/PPE for staff - we need money to procure these and we dont have it.

This situation will only be exacerbated by the tax take falling massively due to a rise in unemployment (coupled with the increase in social welfare expenditure) - so essentially we are f*cked for cash and people will die because of this.

So if I had, lets say, 300 mill then I think giving 5 mill to save a few lives would still leave me in fairly ok financial position.

Exactly we have many rich people in this country they should help out. Fair play to McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

smallfryy wrote: »
    Wow seems we really like our walks here!

And runs, don't forget the runs. Usually you'd see a small number of people out for a run and then suddenly in the last week we've become a nation of marathon athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

threeball wrote: »
    Why do people want the government to wipe their hole for them. Are their brains so redundant that they can't make a sensible decision without being told or is it just the usual abdicating responsibility and blame someone else

I'm not defending them. It's a mad idea to be getting onto a cruise these days.

BUT I am understanding why they are going. Same with the school trips to Italy. When it kicked off first in Italy there were various parents complaining on the airwaves that their kids schools were still going ahead with trips and wanted Leo to ban it. Same thing then...kids went skiing because trip was paid for & trip was still going ahead.

If DFA had acted quicker on this stuff we might not be in this position now. But the recriminations are a conversation for after the crisis, not during it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And runs, don't forget the runs. Usually you'd see a small number of people out for a run and then suddenly in the last week we've become a nation of marathon athletes.

Get over it. What's the difference between running and walking? People need to exercise and get out of the house to get some head space or the bloody murder rate will skyrocket!

Follow the rules..move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Lots of people on here looking for some sort of loophole so they can go out further than 2km/go out in 2s&3s...

What they need to realise is they are part of the problem and the reason these restrictions need to be put in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

cL0h wrote: »
    I know what the published rules are. I don't like making a personal statement but you clearly don't have kids. This needs clarification by an official source.

What's so difficult to understand?

You can't have a family walk.

So stay the f*ck home or go out individually. Jesus Christ. I'd say half of the people moaning on here about their exercise never did a f*cking tap of exercise before this outbreak.

You's are part of the problem with your family walks and kids running wild and spluttering everywhere. Stop trying to find a loophole. There's not going to be one. Do as you were asked and stay indoors for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I presume because the gyms are closed and some people need their exercise fix? I've gone out with two major gym bunnies and I can't imagine living with them under the current restrictions. I reckon I'd last a couple of days before I'd bump them off and get a decent workout myself digging a shallow grave. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Get over it. What's the difference between running and walking? People need to exercise and get out of the house to get some head space or the bloody murder rate will skyrocket!

Follow the rules..move on.

The people moaning on social media that they can't go for their "usual run" are the ones who need to "get over it" as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The airport issue seems to be confusing people..

I take it we are not flying in and out people for normal every day travel?

It’s to get our people home, or for supplies of materials in and out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Unfortunate but fair enough. We seen Germany do the same with batches of PPE bound for Switzerland.

We are a huge medical supplier. **** it, we should be withholding exports aswell.

Crisis has shown its every country for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I had to do an essential run to pick up my prescription from the pharmacy yesterday and was pretty clear people were not heading advice.

It's impossible to social distance on this countries narrow footpaths yet Lots of people still out jogging, walking the dog, mothers out with strollers and groups of kids completely ignoring everything!

Was pretty obvious that this was going to have to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

I presume because the gyms are closed and some people need their exercise fix? I've gone out with two major gym bunnies and I can't imagine living with them under the current restrictions. I reckon I'd last a couple of days before I'd bump them off and get a decent workout myself digging a shallow grave. :D

I agree, the fitness fanatics from the Gyms are out and about theses days.
    If they want to keep exercising outdoors however, they should stick to the 2km individually rule or else the Gov will order a complete shutdown and ruin the outdoor exercises for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's always great when people contribute to charity and then tell everyone about it and how much they gave - so classy.

Even classier the ones that donate to charity and just to prove it ...
    There's a camera person there to record it .
    Plus they can put the donation tru their tax records .
    The amount of people that swallow that bull**** !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

ZX7R wrote: »
    The mas spraying is based on chemical warfare containment,
    Most top scientists believe it has little or no affect, but does work for the general public psyche ,as it shows the state is taking action.
    It is also an effective measure to keep people indoors

Do you have a link to prove this statement ?

Most of the Asian countries, who have been successful in containing the virus, disinfect well used public spaces, buses, trams and areas around detected positive cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

People really need to realise that they are not stuck at home, they are safest at home and if that is all that is being asked of someone at the time of a global emergency, they should consider themselves fierce damn lucky.

Some people have to go out, front line health care workers and other essential service providers to ensure that the rest of us continue to have enough food and utilities to make our indoor stay as comfortable as possible.

Those of us who can stay at home owe those people a depth of gratitude for all they are doing and should have enough respect to stay in and try to contain this thing.

Now is not the time to be selfish. You can't run, though **** - exercise indoors or within the 2km. You can't see your kids or your parents - though ****, it's to keep them alive. Phone and videos will have to be enough for people right now in order to keep people alive. Keeping people alive needs to be the sole focus right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Conor McGregor is an arrogant pr1ck but I think some young wans will listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Do you have a link to prove this statement ?

Most of the Asian countries, who have been successful in containing the virus, disinfect well used public spaces, buses, trams and areas around detected positive cases.

I‘d imagine it would help against the viral load on the surfaces and ppl getting extremely ill perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Palmach wrote: »
    Maybe their approach is the right one and we are overreacting.

Maybe ...
    Different societies have different habits too, so what broadly works in Holland or sweden may not particularly work here ...

Plus no point after the fact saying .... Yyyeeeeaaaahhhh, maybe we shouldn't have done that ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Palmach wrote: »
    Maybe their approach is the right one and we are overreacting.

Maybe ...
    Different societies have different habits too, so what broadly works in Holland or sweden may not particularly work here ...

Plus no point after the fact saying .... Yyyeeeeaaaahhhh, maybe we shouldn't have done that ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Whatever about the lack of class, it might serve to encourage others are to do the same, so why keep it quiet?

Oh I’m sure this guy knows why a 1million euro donation should be kept quiet.

Let’s listen in awe of his explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Here's hoping the list of restrictions comes with some really simple pictures for those people who lack reading comprehension skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Guys quick one. I live 1k away from a very quiet part with trails am I allowed bring my 3 kids out for a "brief walk"

Guys quick one. I live 1k away from a very quiet part with trails am I allowed bring my 3 kids out for a "brief walk"

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's what they would have wanted. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Firefox11 wrote: »
    It's impossible to social distance on this countries narrow footpaths yet Lots of people still out jogging, walking the dog, mothers out with strollers and groups of kids completely ignoring everything!

Was pretty obvious that this was going to have to happen.

As I posted on this thread last night, until yesterday I was getting in the car with my kids and driving out to deserted woodlands to walk in. We were in some woodland in east Clare yesterday and spent a couple of hours walking around and didn't see a single soul the whole time, apart from a small water lizard and some frogspawn, who may indeed have souls, who knows.

Under the new regulations, we'll be restricted to the same pavements as a whole load of other urban dwellers as well, and encounter far far more people with much less space to avoid them.

I get the idea of the 2km restriction, it's needed to stop people just going wherever they want, but it's a pain in the arse for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1243636243159752705

Could you imagine Bill Clinton, Obama or even Bush jr. being this thick?

Trump supporters, come on you know he's a dumb ass, you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

Out walking the dog this morning.

In the space of 45 minutes about 12- 15 joggers passed me.
    Not one of them were coughing or spluttering.

Do you think they are ok?

Should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Stay Home wrote: »
    He's achieved more with his life than you could ever imagine doing so with your life, is this the real reason you sound so miserable and bitter?

What am I miserable and bitter about? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Oh right so you know who I am?

I was being sarcastic in my previous post. Wake up and smell the coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

shocksy wrote: »
    What's so difficult to understand?

You can't have a family walk.

So stay the f*ck home or go out individually. Jesus Christ. I'd say half of the people moaning on here about their exercise never did a f*cking tap of exercise before this outbreak.

You's are part of the problem with your family walks and kids running wild and spluttering everywhere. Stop trying to find a loophole. There's not going to be one. Do as you were asked and stay indoors for the foreseeable future.

You are allowed to go for a family walk for exercise purposes.

- To take brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home which may include children from your own household as long as you adhere to two-metre physical distancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Still not 100% on the construction sites. Are they staying open? Or are they going to bring forward or extend the builders holidays?

osarusan wrote: »
    As I posted on this thread last night, until yesterday I was getting in the car with my kids and driving out to deserted woodlands to walk in. We were in some woodland in east Clare yesterday and spent a couple of hours walking around and didn't see a single soul the whole time, apart from asmall water lizard and some frogspawn, who may indeed have souls, who knows.

Under the new regulations, we'll be restricted to the same pavements as a whole load of other urban dwellers asl well, and encounter far far more people with much less space to avoid them.

I get the idea of the 2km restriction, it's needed to stop people just going wherever they want, but it's a pain in that arse for us.

Okay so this suggests I can go to a wood 2k away from my house with the kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Stay Home wrote: »
    No you stupid fukc, it doesn't need clarification. Stay at home you self entitled prick. You clearly don't have a relative who has died from this illness, so keep your messy little kids at home where they belong.

Really sorry if you lost a relative. Alot more will in the future and in heart wrenching circumstances.

Unfortunately the rules do say you can bring children on your individual exercise provided you observe social distancing. Not saying whether I agree or not, but that's what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You're allowed out with other members of your family group.

Screenshot-20200328-083624.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

Are factories closed, they make windows.?

My son is asking thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Still not 100% on the construction sites. Are they staying open? Or are they going to bring forward or extend the builders holidays?

The list (non retail)has not been published yet. As soon as it has, it will be here.

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's what they would have wanted. :pac:
    Shit T, when they were living with me I was tempted by dark thoughts when the gyms were open. I'd be going full Hannibal Lecter now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1243636243159752705

Could you imagine Bill Clinton, Obama or even Bush jr. being this thick?

Trump supporters, come on you know he's a dumb ass, you know it.

One of the TV station news showed a video of borris the UK health minister and the chief medical officer press conferences last night.

Walked into the press conference should to shoulder. About a foot of distance between their speaking podiums. Walked out shoulder to shoulder. All 3 now have corona virus.

Learn from boris's mistakes if no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

Could the mouth-breathers get a separate thread to shout ‘stay at home’ repeatedly to one another in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement