Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

statesaver wrote: »
    Has anyone in the media asked Dr. Tony Holohan why so many health care professionals are getting infected ?

It's the same in every other country so wasted oxygen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭1641

Blueshoe wrote: »
    9 nursing homes are clusters. News chap said it's a ticking time bomb. In Spain workers walked out and the army went into different ones and found dead bodies in beds

It is still being investigated.

Care homes in Spain were instructed to not move anyone who died with suspected Covid symptoms. Instead they were to call the authorities and wait for approved undertakers to move the remains. But these services were so inundated that there were long delays in responding. It is not clear yet if this was a factor in the reports of dead bodies being found in beds - rather than staff abandoning their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Has anyone in the media asked Dr. Tony Holohan why so many health care professionals are getting infected ?

It was discovered during the Ebola crisis that the majority of health workers got infected taking off their gear.

Also the equipment may not be up to par with the shortages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The PPE is not anywhere near good enough, Have a look at an Irish Healthcare worker compared to one in China. Its not good enough and they should have planned for this in January

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

Google Viral Load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Off licences allowed to stay open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Sarn wrote: »
    It’s 2 metres distance from other people. It wouldn’t make sense to apply it to people from the same household outside when it is not applied inside.

It's for the benefit of Gardai and enforcement, so they don't have to question and look for evidence of each group not social distancing that they are actually within the same household.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Sarn wrote: »
    It’s 2 metres distance from other people. It wouldn’t make sense to apply it to people from the same household outside when it is not applied inside.

I totally agree that it's pointless asking family members to stay 2m apart when out for a walk. However I spoke to a HSE person about this and he says it helps with the 'optics'. If people see everyone else doing social distancing it is more likely to be widely practiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dffgsdf

Sorry, is it not about reducing the number of people coming within infection distance of strangers in the community? If you go out alone rather than with your spouse, you’re reducing it by 50%. I don’t understand all the “I can share a bed with my wife but can’t go for a walk with her” outraged comments because I took a different understanding from the restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Only in this country can we call someone a miserable bastard for giving away a million quid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

It's the same in every other country so wasted oxygen.

I'm aware of that. Seems to be a high percentage here getting infected, is it lack of PPE equipment ? It is a valid question that needs answering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

If people read the thread most of the questions have been answered multiple times and people are not reading the details of the restrictions properly and jumping to conclusions.

Leads to people getting annoyed.

This thread moves extremely fast. It’s absurd to think some people have the time to read pages and pages to see if a question has been asked. People are just waiting in the wings to jump down anyone’s throat shouting “stay at hoooooome”, for asking the most basic questions. This thread was once informative and it’s now overrun by preachy know it alls. The new measures are barely 12 hours old. Cut people some slack ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If people read the thread most of the questions have been answered multiple times and people are not reading the details of the restrictions properly and jumping to conclusions.

Leads to people getting annoyed.
    Not everyone is obsessively following this and the asking of the same questions is not unusual on Boards at all. In this case the high anxiety levels and confusion people may be experiencing makes it understandable the same ones keep emerging. You can choose to answer or not answer them but you should definitely move on past them. I tend to refer them to the stickies! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

khalessi wrote: »
    I think and I could be wrong but go with me on this, but I think that maybe the government thought, and I know its a stretch that we could use common sense.

Common sense, alas, is a rare commodity these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Essential service.

This thread moves extremely fast. It’s absurd to think some people have the time to read pages and pages to see if a question has been asked. People are just waiting in the wings to jump down anyone’s throat shouting “stay at hoooooome”, for asking the most basic questions. This thread was once informative and it’s now overrun by preachy know it alls. The new measures are barely 12 hours old. Cut people some slack ffs.

The stay at home brigade last night were mostly saying it to people who were talking about 150 mile drives and 60 k cycles and 12 k walks etc but maybe you missed that as thread moves so fast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Do you have a link to prove this statement ?

Most of the Asian countries, who have been successful in containing the virus, disinfect well used public spaces, buses, trams and areas around detected positive cases.
    German ministry of defense.
    Buses trams trains planes are a different criteria due to the confined spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Thank **** for that. Some bit of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Jayzee. wrote: »
    Ya they're closed

How lucky not to have the boss mobile number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Gardaí are putting out high visibility patrols all weekend, beginning at 7pm last night and continuing until 7am on Monday morning to ensure gatherings are not happening.

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-commissioner-drew-harris-covid19-policing-5060691-Mar2020/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

depcon wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-oxygen-equipment-meant-for-ireland-held-back-by-italy-1.4214229?mode=amp

These were mention as part of the equipment the government had secured. Are we going to start banning the exportation of ventilators?

Why would they ban the export of ventilators when they haven't banned the export of millions of masks from the factory in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Tony EH wrote: »
    Essential service.

Why can't people get their alcohol during their visit to the supermarket?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

It was discovered during the Ebola crisis that the majority of health workers got infected taking off their gear.

Also the equipment may not be up to par with the shortages

Looks like poor training.

Looks like poor training.

Exhausted workers with bad equipment but they did look into the training and improve it. Here its mainly equipment not suited to purpose atm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Keeping within a 2km radius limits the area any cluster can spread to and will limit the rate and distance of any further geographic spread.

If people drive to 'somewhere nice and secluded' they may cross paths with others who had the same idea who have travelled to the same spot from somewhere else (think Glendalough or any of a number of beaches or walks last weekend). Suddenly there's the possibility of one infected, possibly asymptomatic, person infecting others and seeding a number of new community transmitted clusters with little or no traceability back to the infecting person.

If we want to get the spread of this under control we need to stop any non essential movement and interaction outside our own household. The virus doesn't spread on its own, we spread it.

The message is simple, "Stay at home".

Exactly this. We live somewhere that is usually isolated and secluded and have been inundated with daytrippers. I'm relieved they have brought this in and wont think twice about reporting any congregations I see this weekend. Watching Leo's talk last night, I realised that we have basically been living like this anyway for the last two weeks! :)

• Advertisement

They may just want alcohol. Either way they are in a position to enforce the distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Another good thing about McGregor's stance on Covid is the demographic he appeals to.

Most of his fans and MMA fans and fighters are males in their 20s and 30s. They are a little high on testosterone and risk takers generally. Many idolise him. It's great he's giving this message rather than 'get out and enjoy yourselves, it's only a flu, stop acting like bleedin old fcuking women'. Look he has assaulted a man outside the Octagon, is no angel. But on this he's shown maturity and responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Confirmed Covid-19 infections Worldwide pass 600,000.

It was 500,000 2 days ago.

And those figures can be taken as gross underestimates, when advanced countries like the UK don't bother to test those at home with suspicious symptoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

All the newspapers calling it a Total Lockdown.

The media is pretty woeful sometimes.

Plenty of people out and about this morning.

What else could it be described as other than lockdown ?
    Only being permitted to leave your home for grocery shopping, for a walk , or work in essential services is as lockdown as it comes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭champchamp

Wheres the f*cking list of essential workers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I've been critical of Varadkar and co on points like the airports, not implementing yesterday evening's plan when he spoke 6 days ago etc.

However overall we're one of the better governed countries in our response to Covid 19. I'm happy with them 8/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Any update on manufacturing and construction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Why can't people get their groceries when they visit the off-licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Confirmed Covid-19 infections Worldwide pass 600,000.

It was 500,000 2 days ago.

And those figures can be taken as gross underestimates, when advanced countries like the UK don't bother to test those at home with suspicious symptoms.

It will be 600,000k in the UK alone imo. Remember 80% show little or no symptoms.

wakka12 wrote: »
    What else could it be described as other than lockdown ?
    Only being permitted to leave your home for grocery shopping, for a walk , or work in essential services is as lockdown as it comes

Even Leo said 'lockdown' is a word he does not like to use because it means different things to different people. He also said the so called lockdowns across Europe all vary significantly.

It's an overused and abused word. Fine for simplistic discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

sound_effects_11-3118069db7b12bf12e4a7c01b60a81af.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Any update on manufacturing and construction?

Not yet.
    champchamp wrote: »

On the way sometime today. Take it easy. We'll find out in due course. Stressing out is bad for your health.
    is_that_so wrote: »

That's only retail.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It will be 600,000k in the UK alone imo. Remember 80% show little or no symptoms.
    It will be interesting to see how that new test works out for them in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/we-are-with-you-every-step-of-the-way-39083166.html

The media are disappointing in this country. There is something slimy about this. The NYT made all there Coronavirus news free once it because seriously.

The Irish Independant "we are with you" also the Irish Independant " you should consider a digital subscription".

They need to be called out on this. The amount of important stories that I've seen shared that I couldn't view because I was hit by a paywall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Ms2011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Dffgsdf wrote: »
    Sorry, is it not about reducing the number of people coming within infection distance of strangers in the community? If you go out alone rather than with your spouse, you’re reducing it by 50%. I don’t understand all the “I can share a bed with my wife but can’t go for a walk with her” outraged comments because I took a different understanding from the restriction.

Its not so much you "took a different understanding" and more that you actually understood it. Baffling the number of people who don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

https://youtu.be/jPujb8dJX3U

The situation in Madrid , from a Doctor. With English subtitles.

Medical staff being forced to play God in order to save younger lives.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/we-are-with-you-every-step-of-the-way-39083166.html

The media are disappointing in this country. There is something slimy about this. The NYT made all there Coronavirus news free once it because seriously.

The Irish Independant "we are with you" also the Irish Independant " you should consider a digital subscription".

They need to be called out on this. The amount of important stories that I've seen shared that I couldn't view because I was hit by a paywall.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Lockdown started midnight and still no list? A good deal of ppl actually work weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's highly contagious? Is it not obvious?

champchamp wrote: »

Be careful what you wish for!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Agreed

Thank you. Like to publish a letter from the editor to the people of Ireland and include a suggestion so subscribe to a digital subscription just shows that was the only purpose of publishing the letter in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Agreed

I went onto the Irish Times site this morning and they seem to have removed their paywall. Can anyone else confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Passed a local halting site this morning and there was certainly no social distancing going on. A group of about 10 teenagers hanging around with a horse. Hot me wondering if places like this could be hard hit by the virus..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement