Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/we-are-with-you-every-step-of-the-way-39083166.html

The media are disappointing in this country. There is something slimy about this. The NYT made all there Coronavirus news free once it because seriously.

The Irish Independant "we are with you" also the Irish Independant " you should consider a digital subscription".

They need to be called out on this. The amount of important stories that I've seen shared that I couldn't view because I was hit by a paywall.

I was thinking the same. I thought they were going to offer a free months subscription or something. Slimy ****s.
    Although the new site is awful and it’s just a trash mag now really so no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

doxy79 wrote: »
    Lockdown started midnight and still no list? A good deal of ppl actually work weekends.

Perhaps they should have waited until Monday for the lockdown while they figured out which businesses are essential and which aren't despite receiving advice to stop eejits from congregating on mountains? They're doing the best they can in a bad situation and are trying their best to follow the advice of the people who have the best idea of to handle the whole thing. Imagine the confusion and sh!t show had they rushed out a poorly thought and incomplete list last night.

They also advised that non-retail businesses who planned to be open to make a call themselves as to whether their work is essential or not. People are always free to use their own common sense in the small window of half a day to a day before the full list will be published.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Lockdown started midnight and still no list? A good deal of ppl actually work weekends.

Go to work. If it turns out your job isn't on the list when it's published, go home.

You are not gonna be shot on sight, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It's highly contagious? Is it not obvious?

I’ve come to realise over the last 12 hours, that what’s obvious or common sense - a lot of people just don’t have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/we-are-with-you-every-step-of-the-way-39083166.html

The media are disappointing in this country. There is something slimy about this. The NYT made all there Coronavirus news free once it because seriously.

The Irish Independant "we are with you" also the Irish Independant " you should consider a digital subscription".

They need to be called out on this. The amount of important stories that I've seen shared that I couldn't view because I was hit by a paywall.
    They are screwed financially because of this - they are asking for support to stay afloat. Don't know where they are supposed to get the money from for free news. NYT is incomparable. Plenty of free media still here. The indo isn't the whole media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Panic buying has started, seen video of queues metres long outside Dunnes, Clondalkin. None of them 2 metres apart.
    The reaction is not surprising as people adjust. Like the first panic run it'll settle down after a few days once we get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I went onto the Irish Times site this morning and they seem to have removed their paywall. Can anyone else confirm?

Still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

It's fairly easy to risk assess your activities and make choices.

I have only left my home in the last 2 weeks for two reasons, groceries for the family and exercise (walk/run with dog). Incidentally, with the exception of a long run last weekend, I would have been fully compliant with the new restrictions).

Risk factors to consider:

A. How many people you are likely to meet during each activity
    B. How likely any person you meet is currently infectious
    C. The risk of you being close enough to a person or surface to be infected

On A., I am in a year plus routine of 3-4 nightly walk / runs. I always go at night (10.00 to midnight), it's rural and in the last year I have passed one solitary person while out.
    I remember, it freaked me out ;) (let's say on 150 outings I met one person, 1-in-150 chance).

When I go to the supermarket I also like to avoid busy-ness esp. now, but it's likely still I will meet probably 6 people between the car park, queuing, in the aisles and staff.

On B., Let's be conservative and say 50,000 people in Ireland are currently infectious. That's 1-in-150 people.

On C. While outside I am on roads and can easily avoid people. There is a risk, I suppose, (if that one person and I meet again) that I could bump into him while looking at my phone, let's say 2% (1-in-50). Surface risk is not a risk as all outside.

At the shops, meanwhile, there are loads of measures in place to keep people apart, but also ever the potential to meet an absent minded person, touch a surface, etc.. let's say risk factor of picking up an infection on a trip to the supermarket is 10%. (1-in-10)

Now to compare risks.

On my walk/run A x B x C I get 1/150 * 1/90 * 1/50 = 1 in 675,000.

Going to the supermarket, it's 6/1 * 1/150 * 1/10 = 1 in 150.

Now admittedly, with all the precautions in place, both activities are low risk, but for me, exercising once a day is 4500 less dangerous than grocery shopping.

For others those numbers might be very different, e.g. urban runner, peak time shopper etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Aer Lingus EI 9018, Dublin to Beijing, just left on its first run for medical supplies

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I've been critical of Varadkar and co on points like the airports, not implementing yesterday evening's plan when he spoke 6 days ago etc.

However overall we're one of the better governed countries in our response to Covid 19. I'm happy with them 8/10 for me.

Me too

The UK were a little slow

US citizens are very unfortunate in that their president seems unable to comprehend statistics, facts, mathematics, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

It's highly contagious? Is it not obvious?

FFS, i was asking about PPE equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The advice given was that if you're unsure if your business meets the essential criteria you should open today until the list is made available.

It won't be an easy task putting this list together, they'll need to include any business that provides services or equipment to any of the essential services.

It would be easier to come up with a non-essential list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

RoryMac wrote: »
    The advice given was that if you're unsure if your business meets the essential criteria you should open today until the list is made available.

It won't be an easy task putting this list together, they'll need to include any business that provides services or equipment to any of the essential services.

They should have had the list sorted before the lockdown. But sure the civil service doesn't work weekends. So to hell those that do

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

khalessi wrote: »
    Still there

Ah. You’re right.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-we-need-to-totally-reimagine-economics-1.4213305?mode=amp

A pity. They should really just remove it for the “lockdown” period. No wonder fake news spreads so fast on social media , when responsible journalism is hidden behind paywalls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭champchamp

RoryMac wrote: »

The list could have been prepared 2 or 3 weeks ago...

The new directive having the Traveller community prioritised for testing as a high risk group makes sense really. It's not just the social distancing factor, it's the tendency to being overweight and smoking that puts them at high risk.

Also, I see construction work is stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Good lord. Spain has joined the Italians

+832 deaths being reported.

CptMackey wrote: »
    They should have had the list sorted before the lockdown. But sure the civil service doesn't work weekends. So to hell those that do

Ill tell you this, the CS are working weekends and some of them are working while self isolating due to symptoms. As I am watching one of them fielding calls all day and into the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

shocksy wrote: »

Italy never reported daily cases this high despite the higher population. This is truly awful for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Some departments working 24/7 now. Show a bit of appreciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is for those out there who still don't get the message:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Yes I feel this is a new disease and even people with no symptoms can have long term affects that we don’t know about.

You 'feel' this is new? This Virus being novel is more than a feeling (pardon the pun) . It actually is a novel variant of Coronavirus. It is SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19). Named so after the SARS outbreak witnessed in 2003, and this is the second variant but proving to be so much more easily transmitted and sustained than 2003.

All we know is that thus far (as this is novel virus, novel research and so forth) is that 80% (majority of people) seem to show mild symptoms (HSE)

As for long term 'effects' (not affects) in asymptomatic individuals, we won't know this until much further into the future. As it is impossible to tell long term effects of anything when we are presently only in the short term. I am not worried about long term effects right now as there is nothing we can do About the long term without knowing more.

Over half of transmission is now Community Transmission and I hope the new measures will aid the spread within the Community. Initially most transmission was Travel related. We're all on a learning curve here. So hopefully these new measures put in place last night will drive home the message to people to stay the fcuk at home etc and adhere to HSE guidelines.

On a personal level, I know I would want to be in the 80 percentile group if I should end up testing positive and not another statistic on the number of deaths.

I'm not an expert and I just hope that more and more testing gets completed. The more we test, the more cases, more herd immunity (possibly) the more we start learning about this novel virus, and sadly also more deaths.

Stay safe to you and everyone.

Some departments working 24/7 now. Show a bit of appreciation.

So they could have had a list done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html
    Still a fair few people around town, was expecting a complete ghost town like those drone views of cities on the continent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Once ICUs and hospitals get overwhelmed and reach capacity the death rate soars.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

They are screwed financially because of this - they are asking for support to stay afloat. Don't know where they are supposed to get the money from for free news. NYT is incomparable. Plenty of free media still here. The indo isn't the whole media.
    If they are looking for support do it like the guardian and actually ask for support. We are advised to get our information from the government and main stream media. That leaves rte, local and national radio stations and the print media. The latter all charge to read the information so it means that we are left with people clicking on shoddy stories on Facebook as their source of information.

There's probably a few higher priorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html
    Still a fair few people around town, was expecting a complete ghost town like those drone views of cities on the continent

Watched 20 seconds of that and observed people walking by each other literally touching shoulders.

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Christ almighty. They received advice yesterday to shut the country down. Would you have preferred they waited while they drew up the list and still have hordes of eejits roaming the countryside today? Just to satisfy a few gob****es with no common sense on the internet?

New data has been added to Worldometer. Including the date of each country's first case confirmation.

When Italy and Spain were at the point in time that we are at now (about four weeks since the first confirmed case) they had a fraction of the deaths in this country.

I'm actually sick with worry now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

statesaver wrote: »
    Has anyone in the media asked Dr. Tony Holohan why so many health care professionals are getting infected ?

Seen a stat last week half of them was due to travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jam83 wrote: »
    I don't understand how outlets that sell DIY goods and motor factors, tyre fitters are closed. Surely a car issue or burst pipe at home needs fixing straight away.

OH works in a Builder's Providers.
    They had all the safety measures in place.
    2 in the shop at a time, sanitizer and gloves available, 2m marked out for queuing outside/tils, people with accounts told to phone in order and collect - drive into the yard jobby.

And what happens? People notice the gates to the yard are open to allow collection so they start to go into the shop via the warehouse. For a browse...or to order new bathroom suites.. :rolleyes:
    Staff working were being put at risk because half the bloody country decided this was the ideal time to tackle those DIY projects, and some of those people decided they didn't want to queue or stick to the restrictions.

Hardware shops are now emergency/delivery above is the reason why.

It has to with suppliers who supply the suppliers who supply the manufacturers and so on. Also they want to do it properly lest anyone bitch about it, perish the thought, and that they only have necessary people making journeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

is_that_so wrote: »
    The reaction is not surprising as people adjust. Like the first panic run it'll settle down after a few days once we get used to it.

Exactly. Although we're due a 'big' shop, we're waiting until the end part of the week with the hope that any panic buying will have died down by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Nermal wrote: »
    Could the mouth-breathers get a separate thread to shout ‘stay at home’ repeatedly to one another in?

You've been banging on about this non-stop for weeks.
    Nermal wrote:
    No point in seriously damaging our economy for what will only be very marginal gains in safety. Life is risk.

I've been a little bit shocked by how many self-centered people there are in this country. People who don't feel we are in this together. People who are only interested in their personal comforts and don't give a damn how many people have to die to service them.

Italy is finally starting to curb its death rate.

h2i8h2v3z8p41.jpg

'A waste of time', I can imagine you saying, 'Sure they should have kept on the way they were going, but just euthanize those who are brought into hospital. The economy would be saved, and decent people would not be inconvenienced'

This was the attitude that led to Covid-19 becoming a pandemic in the first place. Can't cut off travel with China, that would damage the economy.

Call people who say that the curve should be flattened 'panic-mongers' say that people who listen to the government and health professionals are 'mouth-breathers', say that the possibility of long-term damage to health due to the coronavirus is just bull****.
    Nermal wrote: »
    BoatMad wrote: »
    The evidence is those that recover from any sort of serious bout they can loose 10-30% lung function permanently

This is not some form of mild flu

source.gif

That's wankerdom of the highest order. What, is your summer trip jeopardized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

there wont be a fish left in the sea or bees or wildlife anywhere if the poison the water and air with chemicals and bleach.Where so they think the run off for these chemicals go?

Bleach breaks down to salt water fairly quickly, it's not a danger to the oceans and probably would be mostly broken down in passing through storm water drainage systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Me too

The UK were a little slow

US citizens are very unfortunate in that their president seems unable to comprehend statistics, facts, mathematics, etc.

Trump is a one trick pony, great man for sorting out the economy

Your worst nightmare for dealing with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    OH works in a Builder's Providers.
    They had all the safety measures in place.
    2 in the shop at a time, sanitizer and gloves available, 2m marked out for queuing outside/tils, people with accounts told to phone in order and collect - drive into the yard jobby.

And what happens? People notice the gates to the yard are open to allow collection so they start to go into the shop via the warehouse. For a browse...or to order new bathroom suites.. :rolleyes:
    Staff working were being put at risk because half the bloody country decided this was the ideal time to tackle those DIY projects, and some of those people decided they didn't want to queue or stick to the restrictions.

Hardware shops are now emergency/delivery above is the reason why.

A lot of older people in local towns seem happy to just wonder in for a browse and a chat. A good few retailers have had a closed door policy over the last week or so for that reason.

Christ almighty. They received advice yesterday to shut the country down. Would you have preferred they waited while they drew up the list and still have hordes of eejits roaming the countryside today? Just to satisfy a few gob****es with no common sense on the internet?

I imagine they knew this was a distinct possibility a few weeks ago. So a list of what to close and what to stay open should have been sorted . This gets people to stay at home and keeps their boss off their backs. And leave people know should they apply for the social.
    The 2 week term is nonsense as well. This is going to be months of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Once ICUs and hospitals get overwhelmed and reach capacity the death rate soars.

True
    We've to take this inevitability into or planning here
    The fairytale stuff has to stop
    Were not south South Korea
    Germany deaths just like the others is on the rise it was only the time keeping the low
    Belgium on 64 early in the morning and irish people on here still thinking we're gonna stay in control

I

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I think you're underestimating the work involved in putting together a list of services/businesses that need to be kept open or partially open to support the essential services. Each hospital probably has 100's of companies that provide equipment or services to them, most of those won't be critical to the day to day running of the hospital but when for example their PCs stop working or the air conditioning stops these will need to be fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The way they do passport checks in China those days for inbound international flights ... directly on the plane with heavy protective equipment before being sent into quarantine.

507320.jpeg

I've been a little bit shocked by how many self-centered people there are in this country. People who don't feel we are in this together. People who are only interested in their personal comforts and don't give a damn how many people have to die to service them.

h2i8h2v3z8p41.jpg

'A waste of time', I can imagine you saying, 'Sure they should have kept on the way they were going, but just euthanize those who are brought into hospital. The economy would be saved, and decent people would not be inconvenienced'

This was the attitude that led to Covid-19 becoming a pandemic in the first place. Can't cut off travel with China, that would damage the economy.

Call people who say that the curve should be flattened 'panic-mongers' say that people who listen to the government and health professionals are 'mouth-breathers', say that the possibility of long-term damage to health due to the coronavirus is just bull****.

That poster is one of the worst for the selfishness all right - "well I'm fine, so what's the problem bruh?"

We are a month behind Italy and Spain. It's only in the last month that things escalated for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Achasanai wrote: »

Exactly. Although we're due a 'big' shop, we're waiting until the end part of the week with the hope that any panic buying will have died down by then.

Supermarkets haven’t done enough imo you should get a ticket entering the car park stay at your car then go in when your number is called or comes up on a screen this lining up craic ha to stop it also heightens panic when people see queues
    Also anyone sharing empty shelves or big queues on social media need to be fined it just adds to the panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

h2i8h2v3z8p41.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112928035&postcount=237

It is interesting how much of people's personalities have been laid bare on these threads. Let it go, you're mutually irritated/outraged by the topic and it'll just be yet another bout of scrapping for the moral high ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

New data has been added to Worldometer. Including the date of each country's first case confirmation.

When Italy and Spain were at the point in time that we are at now (about four weeks since the first confirmed case) they had a fraction of the deaths in this country.

I'm actually sick with worry now.

It's no good worrying, just follow the protocols asked of you, no more can be said. There are political. Cultural and environmental factors at play too in the way particular countries are affected with this virus. We can't really compare countries with each other.

BBC reporting that an official in Japan has said that an emergency is coming in Tokyo. Now that the Olympics has been cancelled will we start to get the real picture of what is happening there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Germany deaths just like the others is on the rise it was only the time keeping the low

They are also counting them differently to most countries apparently, not attributing the death to Covid19 where an underlying condition played a significant part.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is interesting how much of people's personalities have been laid bare on these threads. Let it go, you're mutually irritated/outraged by the topic and it'll just be yet another bout of scrapping for the moral high ground.
    More important things to worry about than telling people how they should feel, I.t.s.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement