Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NATLOR wrote: »
    Trump is a one trick pony, great man for sorting out the economy

Your worst nightmare for dealing with this
    He's now taken to threatening anyone he think he can blame. We all share a level of frustration about this and he's taking it a lot worse than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

tromtipp wrote: »
    Sweet suffering Jesus, walk the first 2 km of your favoured route, turn round and walk back. If you need to, repeat. It really isn't difficult.

During the Foot and Mouth epidemic we all* stopped walking in the countryside from early February until early May - it was difficult, but we managed it.

*Many of us.

Ok, I take your advice, walk 2k and repeat the section. Apart from now obeying the rules, how is that in any way safer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

CptMackey wrote: »
    They should have had the list sorted before the lockdown. But sure the civil service doesn't work weekends. So to hell those that do

These armchair experts are just sickening, add nothing to the discussion, belittle the hard work of others, and just stink of childish petulance and a lack of appreciation of how things in the real world work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Steer55 wrote: »
    It's no good worrying, just follow the protocols asked of you, no more can be said. There are political. Cultural and environmental factors at play too in the way particular countries are affected with this virus. We can't really compare countries with each other.
    Yeah I agree there that each country is different but still, other countries can be used as a rough guide.

The problem is all these selfish people not following the protocols.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1243636243159752705

Could you imagine Bill Clinton, Obama or even Bush jr. being this thick?

Trump supporters, come on you know he's a dumb ass, you know it.

The dumb asses are the ones standing shoulder to shoulder around him!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,867 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Palmach wrote: »
    Maybe their approach is the right one and we are overreacting.

Netherlands have a death rate of 32 per million

We have a death rate of 4 per million.

So nope, their approach is not the right one

Raconteuse wrote: »
    More important things to worry about than telling people how they should feel, I.t.s.
    What's that acronym?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

E36Ross wrote: »

What Im seeing there are people queuing calmly maintaining social distance for their shopping, didnt see any panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Deaths in Indonesia now up to 106, there were less than 10 confirmed cases in the country less than three weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Another good thing about McGregor's stance on Covid is the demographic he appeals to.

Most of his fans and MMA fans and fighters are males in their 20s and 30s. They are a little high on testosterone and risk takers generally. Many idolise him. It's great he's giving this message rather than 'get out and enjoy yourselves, it's only a flu, stop acting like bleedin old fcuking women'. Look he has assaulted a man outside the Octagon, is no angel. But on this he's shown maturity and responsibility.

I completely agree, as I've said on here earlier - when all this i over we should remember who played their part and who didnt.

He is playing his part, so fairplay to him for that.

This is a numbers & optimisation situation so the more resources we can get our hands on the better and the more lives will be saved.

When governments the world over are telling people to stay at home and crippling their own economies by doing so - it essentially means we are in a bit of a pickle here so I say fairplay to anyone who steps up to the plate in anyway.

If you have time the give that, if you can give money then give that, every little will help.

is_that_so wrote: »
    What's that acronym?

Your initials. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I can't understand why the lotto hasn't been cancelled. Surely that is the definition of a non-essential reason to go to the shop.

homah_7ft wrote: »
    I can't understand why the lotto hasn't been cancelled. Surely that is the definition of a non-essential reason to go to the shop.

It can be done online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Leo having to spell it out for the eejits out there:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

khalessi wrote: »
    It has to with suppliers who supply the suppliers who supply the manufacturers and so on. Also they want to do it properly lest anyone bitch about it, perish the thought, and that they only have necessary people making journeys

True. But at the same time you can question the usefulness of making an announcement that only essential businesses can stay open while not being able to clarify what essential businesses are. It does create confusion.

And to be fair, other European countries have been in similar situations for weeks and have thought about these things before us, so we can look at their lists of essential businesses and rely on their experience to expedite the process of drafting the list here.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Your initials. :)
    :o And I agree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

When I go to the food shop I wash my clothes and shopping bags as soon as I get back.
    Wombatman wrote: »
    What? Are people who don't have to go out actually changing their clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

They should have had the list sorted before the lockdown. But sure the civil service doesn't work weekends. So to hell those that do

That is a lunatic comment. I happen to know many civil servants are working flat out, barely getting home to sleep. Have a bit of cop on - they are trying to cope with a fast moving emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

One genuinely concerning aspect is how many health workers are testing positive. One has died so far.

This is particularly concerning because it looks like this virus evolves rapidly. That can be both a good and bad thing by the way. However, people who end up in hospital, very sick, are more likely to have a nastier strain, while those who are asymptomatic or with mild symptoms are more likely to have a weaker strain.

Of course people with underlying conditions and are older are more likely to get ill anyway.

But if nastier strains are ending up in our hospitals, but our health care workers are being exposed and infected by these strains, that could create a pressure that would facilitate worse strains getting evolutionary preference.

The 'Spanish flu' of 1918 was encouraged to develop in such a direction, as soldiers who had only mild symptoms were kept at the front, while those who were very sick were sent home (which in effect seems to have had a large hand in spreading the virus).

I'm not suggesting that very ill people with Covid-19 don't go to hospital, but perhaps we should be trying to absolutely ensure that these people don't spread it within the healthcare service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have any specific details been released on the healthcare worker that died?

Four passengers have now died of coronavirus on a cruise ship off the coast of Panama. Two other passengers have also tested positive. There are 1800 passengers on the ship.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52072703

• Subscribers Posts: 41,867 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

khalessi wrote: »
    What Im seeing there are people queuing calmly maintaining social distance for their shopping, didnt see any panic

Agreed, it's simply the same number of people queueing that would be in the store normally

walshb wrote: »

Not yet but the papers will get them eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

namloc1980 wrote: »

But de gubbermint are nuttin but rats dey ave robbed all de good stuff for demselves and de bankers dere will be nuttin left for us de peeple

walshb wrote: »
    If you've watched Holohan over these last few weeks you'd know the answer is No! Other sources might.

Palmach wrote: »
    Maybe their approach is the right one and we are overreacting.
    How people can say we are overreacting is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

At least we've an hour extra daylight from tomorrow to spend in our houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I imagine they knew this was a distinct possibility a few weeks ago. So a list of what to close and what to stay open should have been sorted . This gets people to stay at home and keeps their boss off their backs. And leave people know should they apply for the social.
    The 2 week term is nonsense as well. This is going to be months of this

If people had voluntarily followed the recommended measures already in place, they wouldn't have needed any of this.

And like, there's a limited supply of man hours in the civil service. They have had a lot of important things to do in the last few weeks. This list is only one of many important tasks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

namloc1980 wrote: »

Going by the pages and pages of stupid ****ing posts on here last night after the announcement I’m surprised he didn’t have to break the finger puppets out today .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I know alcohol can be good for cleaning phones, but can a diluted bleach solution be used as well to clean phones. Also are there any good disinfectants that won't stain clothes like bleach would?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

Supermarkets haven’t done enough imo you should get a ticket entering the car park stay at your car then go in when your number is called or comes up on a screen this lining up craic ha to stop it also heightens panic when people see queues
    Also anyone sharing empty shelves or big queues on social media need to be fined it just adds to the panic

That is the system in rural spain at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

wakka12 wrote: »
    Four passengers have now died of coronavirus on a cruise ship off the coast of Panama. Two other passengers have also tested positive. There are 1800 passengers on the ship.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52072703

What kind of lunatic would you need to be to go on a cruise after what happened on the Princess Cruise Ship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Lundstram wrote: »
    At least we've an hour extra daylight from tomorrow to spend in our houses.

Only 23 hours in this weeks Sunday, small mercies:D

One genuinely concerning aspect is how many health workers are testing positive. One has died so far.

This is particularly concerning because it looks like this virus evolves rapidly. That can be both a good and bad thing by the way. However, people who end up in hospital, very sick, are more likely to have a nastier strain, while those who are asymptomatic or with mild symptoms are more likely to have a weaker strain.

Of course people with underlying conditions and are older are more likely to get ill anyway.

But if nastier strains are ending up in our hospitals, but our health care workers are being exposed and infected by these strains, that could create a pressure that would facilitate worse strains getting evolutionary preference.

The 'Spanish flu' of 1918 was encouraged to develop in such a direction, as soldiers who had only mild symptoms were kept at the front, while those who were very sick were sent home (which in effect seems to have had a large hand in spreading the virus).

I'm not suggesting that very ill people with Covid-19 don't go to hospital, but perhaps we should be trying to absolutely ensure that these people don't spread it within the healthcare service.

Some of the healthcare workers got it from travel according to another poster. The bigger issue is PPE equipment as what is normally used isnt suited to purpose here. A consultant from Limerick was saying on news during week that staff were buying plastic visor masks from woodies to help with prevention. We do have a shipment coming in from CHina of ppe.

Exhaustion will also play a huge part.

It's safer because it reduces the size of each potential bubble of cross infection. I'd love to go up to the Graves o t L, it's only a few miles from me, love the view, love the walk, know how well-used it is when everything is open. I'm acutely aware of friends workings in W's Lodge, of people on this side of the hill with the virus, of people I know likely to be bereaved. If we all decide to extend our walks by a couple of ks we'll end up with a repeat of last weekend's mess, making contact tracing impossible.

Stay safe.
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Ok, I take your advice, walk 2k and repeat the section. Apart from now obeying the rules, how is that in any way safer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Anyone know if building sites are now closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

Unless you are building a new hospital, yes they are

• Advertisement

Yes, they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I work in another county all week and normally go home on Friday but this week had to stay here last night so am not at home now.

My wife is home alone but is fine and well. Could I make the trip home today to be with her do you think? It's 200km away, am in my own car?

Of course you can. Go home to see her. Leo can mind his own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

lobbylad wrote: »
    Aer Lingus EI 9018, Dublin to Beijing, just left on its first run for medical supplies

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

Good luck Ireland

Yeah Ireland are getting the ones the Spanish no longer want ........
    Coronavirus: Spain stops using Chinese test kits after its found they have a 30 per cent accuracy.

The research found nose swabs developed by Shenzhen Bioeasy Biotechnology had an accuracy rate of less than 30 per cent.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-spain-stops-using-chinese-test-kits-after-its-found-they-have-a-30-per-cent-accuracy/news-story/c87b6929a0447d9d00a14b0938735c68

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

mick987 wrote: »

That's not official (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

mick987 wrote: »

Not true. Building going on right now in Knockraboo site in Goatstown.

Not so far but they did have 48 hours to comply with distancing. The list when it's published should confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Hooked wrote: »
    If it were me... I’d be on the road now.

The news only broke last night. Explain you were at work when it broke and this is the first chance you’ve had to move. Can’t see anyone with even half a brain turning you around.

Drive safe.

Explain nothing. It's none of their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Explain nothing. It's none of their business.

Wow folks we have a rebel here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

crossman47 wrote: »
    That is a lunatic comment. I happen to know many civil servants are working flat out, barely getting home to sleep. Have a bit of cop on - they are trying to cope with a fast moving emergency.

You would like to think they have plans in place for different phases of lockdown. I agree with the original poster. They had a few days to sort this out, instead of it's a lockdown from midnight. Oh you want to know what businesses affects, we will tell ya over the weekend. Its pathetic.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's not official (yet).

It was on the 11 0 clock news.
    My advice to people, get off this thread and get your information from official sources.

Don't know about phones but I used diluted bleach yesterday on a 'new' laptop and it hasn't harmed it (took care not to let wetness get into the innards). Went to the laptop repair shop in response to an 'emergency' - in another world. I'm so glad I went for a reconditioned replacement, now that this phase of the lockdown has landed. Wondered at the time was my feeling I wanted to avoid going back into town a bit ott.

For clothes, you'd be better to wash them - soap and water is the BEST cleanser. If you're staying at home, wearing easily washable things shouldn't be a problem.
    I know alcohol can be good for cleaning phones, but can a diluted bleach solution be used as well to clean phones. Also are there any good disinfectants that won't stain clothes like bleach would?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement