Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I think this goverment and it's advisors have done a great job so far but they really should've had a specific and comprehensive list ready of essential jobs that can carry on. There's a lot of confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Yes, they are.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Achasanai wrote: »

Exactly. Although we're due a 'big' shop, we're waiting until the end part of the week with the hope that any panic buying will have died down by then.

Just going to order online.. sod waiting in long queues. Going to ration whatever food we do have until this delivery arrives. Then we'll immediately place the next order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Of course you can. Go home to see her. Leo can mind his own business.
    Explain nothing. It's none of their business.

So many pointy edges.

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Source?

The news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Of course you can. Go home to see her. Leo can mind his own business.

Just make sure to fill up. Some petrol stations are doing maintenance work when it's slow on the roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

For those who still don't understand the 2km radius restriction, it's like this -

Connect yourself to your front door or gate using a 2km length of imaginary thread (actually a little longer to facilitate knot making at both ends)

You can now go wherever you like as long as you don't stretch or break the imaginary thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

old_aussie wrote: »
    Good luck Ireland

Yeah Ireland are getting the ones the Spanish no longer want ........
    Coronavirus: Spain stops using Chinese test kits after its found they have a 30 per cent accuracy.

The research found nose swabs developed by Shenzhen Bioeasy Biotechnology had an accuracy rate of less than 30 per cent.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-spain-stops-using-chinese-test-kits-after-its-found-they-have-a-30-per-cent-accuracy/news-story/c87b6929a0447d9d00a14b0938735c68

It's collecting PPE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

cnocbui wrote: »
    Bleach breaks down to salt water fairly quickly, it's not a danger to the oceans and probably would be mostly broken down in passing through storm water drainage systems.

Should, in theory, be neutralised before it hits storm drains. An overload of salt water will shock water courses.
    I know alcohol can be good for cleaning phones, but can a diluted bleach solution be used as well to clean phones. Also are there any good disinfectants that won't stain clothes like bleach would?

A bleach solution (1 part bleach to 99 parts water) is good.

Normal washing powder is fine, soap breaks down the lipid coating on the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

niallo27 wrote: »
    You would like to think they have plans in place for different phases of lockdown. I agree with the original poster. They had a few days to sort this out, instead of it's a lockdown from midnight. Oh you want to know what businesses affects, we will tell ya over the weekend. Its pathetic.

THis might surprise ya but sometimes tds do stuff off the bat despite being advised not to as things may not be ready to roll out but they do it anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

extremely confusing from the government regarding factories and other non retail businesses. there appears to be no restrictions there at all?

For those who still don't understand the 2km radius restriction, it's like this -

Connect yourself to your front door or gate using a 2km length of imaginary thread (actually a little longer to facilitate knot making at both ends)

You can now go wherever you like as long as you don't stretch or break the imaginary thread.

Who are you engaging with here? Toddlers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some people might need an actual length of thread wrapped around their waist and attached to their front door to conceptualize this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

pjohnson wrote: »
    So many pointy edges.
    Risteard is feeling grand though, and has no worries - so what's the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Anyone got that diagram that shows the spread and how staying at home reduces it? It's red dots with the stay at home ones in grey.

Really simple but effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's now taken to threatening anyone he think he can blame. We all share a level of frustration about this and he's taking it a lot worse than most.

His daily pressers are something to behold (comedy gold if it wasn't so serious)

lawred2 wrote: »
    Adults who behave like toddlers.

So, so many adults who behave like toddlers...

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Risteard is feeling grand though, and has no worries - so what's the issue?

I'd say the education system for producing people like that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

niallo27 wrote: »
    You would like to think they have plans in place for different phases of lockdown. I agree with the original poster. They had a few days to sort this out, instead of it's a lockdown from midnight. Oh you want to know what businesses affects, we will tell ya over the weekend. Its pathetic.

This comment is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

froog wrote: »
    extremely confusing from the government regarding factories and other non retail businesses. there appears to be no restrictions there at all?

Non-retail businesses will be dealt with in a separate list and advice to be published today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I don't know if this has been posted already so apologies if it has.

'Two metres not enough' when social distancing

But a new analysis by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US has found that viral droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes can travel in a moist, warm atmosphere at speeds of 10-30 metres (33ft-100ft) per second, creating a cloud that can span approximately 7-8 metres (23ft-27ft).

The researchers also warn that droplets can stay suspended in the air for hours, moving along airflow patterns imposed by ventilation or climate-control systems.

It seems as though we have greatly underestimated the aerosol nature of virus transmission. Whatever the reason. I've seen in some guides on PPE use the term eye protection. Doesn't stipulate goggles or face-shield. They are not the same and do different things.

There is even a warning on this thread that you can't talk about airborne. Think it needs to be updated at this stage.

Number of healthcare workers getting this is very high.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

What kind of lunatic would you need to be to go on a cruise after what happened on the Princess Cruise Ship?

Have you seen the worst debacle of all The Ruby Princess in Australia? A few weeks back I posted about watching videos from Australia where people embarking were being interviewed and they were all extremely blasé about the risk of getting on the ship. Out of curiosity I looked up what happened last night and it was probably the biggest corona-cruise ship disaster of all. Numerous people on the cruise got ship and either the crew or Princess cruises made the decision to suppress the information completely. When the cruise was over they arrived in New South Wales and somehow the port authorities just let the ship dock and everyone disembark. 1/3 of the passengers were international passengers and they were told to either leave Australia right away or find a way to self-isolate for 14 days. Most of them went straight to airports and flew home. Australian passengers were told to go home and self-isolate but told it was fine to use public transport to get there.

This is now recognised as being the largest source of cases in Australia with at least 293 passengers since testing positive and numerous contact infections stemming from these passengers. British passengers said they flew home after disembarking and were already back in London, having taken two flights home, by the time they heard there had been an outbreak on the ship. Some started showing symptoms in the following days. It's been an absolutely massive fuçk up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51999845

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/interstate-coronavirus-cases-from-ruby-princess-jump-as-32-queenslanders-test-positive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd say the education system for producing people like that tbh.

Parents are the primary educators so I would look closer to home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Went for my test earlier. Have seen Gardai out this morning carrying out checks on people who are out and about. On the way back went through a checkpoint - they were stopping everyone on the road- drivers, cyclists, runners, walkers.

I just put the window down a crack and held up my mask in front of my mouth and said I was on the way back from the test. “Grand, take care”.

Didn’t catch the conversations they were having with others.

All in all I was glad to be seeing it policed in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Judging by some posts here, confused toddlers.

• Advertisement

This comment is pathetic.
    People without a notion of how things work are the "greatest" experts of all.

also it seems a lot of people missed a very troubling comment in the middle of all this - leo said pharmacies will be able to give out medicine past it's sell by/use by dates. odd thing to say unless he's expecting a mass shortage of essential medicines very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I'm casting the net far and wide, so it's all down to mesh dimension and fishy size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I don't know if this has been posted already so apologies if it has.

It seems as though we have greatly underestimated the aerosol nature of virus transmission. Whatever the reason. I've seen in some guides on PPE use the term eye protection. Doesn't stipulate goggles or face-shield. They are not the same and do different things.

There is even a warning on this thread that you can't talk about airborne. Think it needs to be updated at this stage.

Number of healthcare workers getting this is very high.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

I wonder what implications, if any, these findings of ''Two metres not enough' when social distancing' would have for people in their back gardens in housing estates for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Majority are to close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Some people might need an actual length of thread wrapped around their waist and attached to their front door to conceptualize this.

Ms Hoover, someone has eaten my thread can I have a new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Okay so this suggests I can go to a wood 2k away from my house with the kids?

You better drag a 2km long tape measure with you, or else the high horse men of this thread will have you burned at the stake for reckless endangerment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

New data has been added to Worldometer. Including the date of each country's first case confirmation.

When Italy and Spain were at the point in time that we are at now (about four weeks since the first confirmed case) they had a fraction of the deaths in this country.

I'm actually sick with worry now.

Seriously, take a break from threads like this, watch only one news broadcast a day and spend the time you save doing something fun. While observing the latest recommendations, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

also it seems a lot of people missed a very troubling comment in the middle of all this - leo said pharmacies will be able to give out medicine past it's seel by/use by dates. odd thing to say unless he's expecting a mass shortage of essential medicines very soon.

Eh I think he meant beyond the length of the prescription

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

recyclebin wrote: »
    Majority are to close.

where is that written?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A 2km from home calculator.

https://2kmfromhome.com/

also it seems a lot of people missed a very troubling comment in the middle of all this - leo said pharmacies will be able to give out medicine past it's sell by/use by dates. odd thing to say unless he's expecting a mass shortage of essential medicines very soon.

I thought that was the prescription script, not the medicine itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I think he meant prescriptions can roll over. So if you're on some blood pressure medication, but the script runs out, the pharmacist can extend it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

also it seems a lot of people missed a very troubling comment in the middle of all this - leo said pharmacies will be able to give out medicine past it's seel by/use by dates. odd thing to say unless he's expecting a mass shortage of essential medicines very soon.

Was it not that pharmacies can give out medicine outside their normal remit?

That if I have a kidney infection, I can get a run of antibiotics without having to go to the doctor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

That's not what I heard, I took it as they could give out medicines after the prescription had expired so for repeat prescriptions they could still provide the medicine without the person having to go back to their GP

where is that written?

It is kind of obvious. People should not be looking for loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What's happening with restaurant deliveries and stuff does anybody know? Passed a bill yesterday allowing them to all become deliveries, are they closed now?

Out of date scripts I assume.

Adults who behave like toddlers.

So, so many adults who behave like toddlers...

That is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I for one won't be affected by this 2KM limit. Live on a country road that isn't too busy with walkers anyway, and my house is pretty much equidistant between two crossroads, hence a good reference point.

I really don't understand how people can be confused by it though. Even if you live in a town, one lap of your estate could equal 2KM. Or a walk to say the end of the street and back. By yourself of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Did he say that? I thought he was implying that at one stage but as he spoke on it sounded more like he said pharmacists were being given powers to extend ongoing prescriptions. So if someone with a 3 month prescription for, say blood pressure medicine, wasn't able to see a GP to get a new prescription, pharmacists could give them a week or two more medication until they could manage to get a doctor's appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

circadian wrote: »
    Anyone got that diagram that shows the spread and how staying at home reduces it? It's red dots with the stay at home ones in grey.

Really simple but effective.

Was it this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭blackcard

RoryMac wrote: »
    That's not what I heard, I took it as they could give out medicines after the prescription had expired so for repeat prescriptions they could still provide the medicine without the person having to go back to their GP

Exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did he not mean prescriptions that were outside their date?
    Ie stockpiling of medicine?

To thine own self be true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement