Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is interesting how much of people's personalities have been laid bare on these threads. Let it go, you're mutually irritated/outraged by the topic and it'll just be yet another bout of scrapping for the moral high ground.

It's understandable to be irritated by posts that come across as sociopathic in tone, but i suppose you are essentially right, it's futile to persist because such posters are "not for turning" or "can't be reached"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Normally don’t agree with The Scum, but they have a point here.

There was factories in this country that hmade or had the ability to make PPE. BSN in Thurles for example, that closed during the Celtic tiger and production moved abroad to places like China.

What I’m hoping comes out of this is manufacturing brought back to Europe and the USA in retaliation to this.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11264885/china-wet-markets-coronavirus-world-knees/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

What's happening with restaurant deliveries and stuff does anybody know? Passed a bill yesterday allowing them to all become deliveries, are they closed now?

No they're open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Ficheall wrote: »

The Dutch seem a little lax in their approach to the coronavirus - for example, they're saying it's fine for kids to go and play with each other if they are not symptomatic https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/questions-and-answers#039;s%20Novel%20coronavirus%20in%20China - I'd take anything they say with a large pinch of salt..

The Dutch Gov has been more than a little lax.
    Becoming a liability now.
    They are the only ones aiming for herd immunity.

And now they are denying solidarity.
    A few days ago, the Irish Gov co-signed a letter to European Council calling for "coronabonds", together with other 8 Countries including France, Belgium and Luxembourg.
    However, the Netherlands together with Germany are the most fiercely opposed to this.
    Germany will likely change position, but the Dutch Gov is digging its heels.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/nine-member-states-ask-for-eurobonds-to-face-coronavirus-crisis/

https://www.ft.com/content/258308f6-...f-41bea055720b
    https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2020/...e-coronabonds/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

froog wrote: »
    also it seems a lot of people missed a very troubling comment in the middle of all this - leo said pharmacies will be able to give out medicine past it's sell by/use by dates. odd thing to say unless he's expecting a mass shortage of essential medicines very soon.

He didn't. He said pharmacies will have the discretion to give you medicine outside of the validity of the prescription-i.e. your prescription for your blood pressure tablets is out of date but rather than you needing to go to your doctor for renewal, your pharmacy can fill it if appropriate. It's to ease pressure on GP surgeries for the next while

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kevcos wrote: »
    Ms Hoover, someone has eaten my thread can I have a new one?
    No, we have more than enough threads around here already....

:pac:

I don't know if this has been posted already so apologies if it has.

It seems as though we have greatly underestimated the aerosol nature of virus transmission. Whatever the reason. I've seen in some guides on PPE use the term eye protection. Doesn't stipulate goggles or face-shield. They are not the same and do different things.

There is even a warning on this thread that you can't talk about airborne. Think it needs to be updated at this stage.

Number of healthcare workers getting this is very high.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

I'm glad I live in a country that now has on-the-spot fines for not wearing a mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I just got off the phone to my ‘elderly’ (76), who lives alone. I was checking to see if she was OK and did she need anything. She said if she needed anything she would go out and get it. She has no intention of ‘cocooning’ herself. She’s as healthy as a trout and walks a couple of miles every day. She intends to continue doing exactly that.
    I don’t think she’s the only one who will refuse to be ‘cocooned’?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

There was factories in this country that hmade or had the ability to make PPE. BSN in Thurles for example, that closed during the Celtic tiger and production moved abroad to places like China.

What I’m hoping comes out of this is manufacturing brought back to Europe and the USA in retaliation to this.

They closed because they weren't viable businesses. Unless it becomes viable to operate here, they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,867 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

circadian wrote: »
    Anyone got that diagram that shows the spread and how staying at home reduces it? It's red dots with the stay at home ones in grey.

Really simple but effective.

This one??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

recyclebin wrote: »
    It is kind of obvious. People should not be looking for loopholes.

"kind of obvious" ?

there is no direction at all on it. they only mention retail stores. something this serious needs to be 100% clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

People are stressed, lots of tension in the air, all very understandable.

Maybe try some tunes to move away from the negativity. 'Don't worry be happy', is 1st up for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lawred2 wrote: »
    Just going to order online.. sod waiting in long queues. Going to ration whatever food we do have until this delivery arrives. Then we'll immediately place the next order.

Please don't.
    There are people who cannot wait in queues as they genuinely cannot go out to shop - they need the delivery slots.

You could be taking slots needed by people in quarantine/cocooned because you don't want to stand in a queue.

https://twitter.com/Ocionnaith/status/1243552137981890563

Jesus Christ, there aren't even words to cover this. That poor poor man. Those YouTube videos are equal measure heartbreaking and lovely.

I not the least bit ashamed to say his entire story made me shed more than one tear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

cnocbui wrote: »
    You better drag a 2km long tape measure with you, or else the high horse men of this thread will have you burned at the stake for reckless endangerment.
    New data has been added to Worldometer. Including the date of each country's first case confirmation.

When Italy and Spain were at the point in time that we are at now (about four weeks since the first confirmed case) they had a fraction of the deaths in this country.

A few of you need to wake up, face reality and stop denying/trivialising this.

Apart from El Duderino being way too harsh over people just going for a walk by themselves, people are not on their high horses - they are simply seeing the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And it had to be a BMW driver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

A d*ckhead driving a BMW. Who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

also it seems a lot of people missed a very troubling comment in the middle of all this - leo said pharmacies will be able to give out medicine past it's sell by/use by dates. odd thing to say unless he's expecting a mass shortage of essential medicines very soon.

I took that to mean the prescription could be out of date. As in if you have a repeat prescription they’ll refill it without needing to get a new prescription.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

otnomart wrote: »
    The Dutch Gov has been more than a little lax.
    Becoming a liability now.
    They are the only ones aiming for herd immunity.

And now they are denying solidarity.
    A few days ago, the Irish Gov co-signed a letter to European Council calling for "coronabonds", together with other 8 Countries including France, Belgium and Luxembourg.
    However, the Netherlands together with Germany are the most fiercely opposed to this.
    Germany will likely change position, but the Dutch Gov is digging its heels.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/nine-member-states-ask-for-eurobonds-to-face-coronavirus-crisis/

https://www.ft.com/content/258308f6-...f-41bea055720b
    https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2020/...e-coronabonds/

If the eurozone doesn't come up trumps this time around or if Germany drags its heels and their obsession about inflation prevents the Eurozone from taking drastic measures then Ireland and smaller countries will seriously have to consider exiting the eurozone. I think it's clear the the Euro was a mistake. Too many different economies at different stages of growth being dictated to by the needs of one economy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    People are stressed, lots of tension in the air, all very understandable.

Maybe try some tunes to move away from the negativity. 'Don't worry be happy', is 1st up for me

"I want to Break Free!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

is_that_so wrote: »
    A 2km from home calculator.

https://2kmfromhome.com/

Aaaargh!!! The cruelty! That gets me to just 100m short of the sea front! A curse on our conversion to metric measurements! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I just got off the phone to my ‘elderly’ (76), who lives alone. I was checking to see if she was OK and did she need anything. She said if she needed anything she would go out and get it. She has no intention of ‘cocooning’ herself. She’s as healthy as a trout and walks a couple of miles every day. She intends to continue doing exactly that.

Well it's quite simple then really. If she gets it, it's her own fault. She's been advised and has chosen to ignore that advice. The government can't police this much, it's up to people to take responsibility for their own actions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't know if this has been posted already so apologies if it has.

It seems as though we have greatly underestimated the aerosol nature of virus transmission. Whatever the reason. I've seen in some guides on PPE use the term eye protection. Doesn't stipulate goggles or face-shield. They are not the same and do different things.

There is even a warning on this thread that you can't talk about airborne. Think it needs to be updated at this stage.

Number of healthcare workers getting this is very high.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/two-metres-not-enough-when-social-distancing-39083182.html

Interesting but not too surprising.

It should always be goggles, only a shield out of necessity, which unfortunately seems to be too often the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I'd be very much be in the 'cant stand the sight or sound of McGregor' brigade but he's doing his bit and he has given a million quid to help the effort.

Fairplay to him, when this is all over- I will definitely remember the people & businesses that helped and he very much falls into that category.

We have a country of a shedload of millionaires and some billionaires - these people need to put their money where their mouth is, like McGregor

McGregor will always be a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

The sociopaths among us are really revealing their true selves - including on these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Jesus what an absolute retard. They're among us folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

What's happening with restaurant deliveries and stuff does anybody know? Passed a bill yesterday allowing them to all become deliveries, are they closed now?

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1243856383117844481?s=20

Takeaways staying open per An Taoiseach and retail food staying open per: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/625292-updated-list-of-essential-retail-outlets-27th-march-2020/

You would think deliveries are included but they will perhaps clarify this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ridiculous letting the thick fùck home. Should lock him up for the nations good. Dumb fùckwits like that are the whole problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Saw this mentioned on another forum and the understanding there was that this applies to someone who has a repeat prescription, maybe for blood pressure tablets, and usually has to go in every month for a months worth. Under this new situation it might be the case that the pharmacist could decide to give them more than one month's supply, so effectively giving them medication beyond normal date of their prescription, not medication beyond it's "use by" date.

Not saying that is the case, just another view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Interesting but not too surprising.

It should always be goggles, only a shield out of necessity, which unfortunately seems to be too often the case

The HSE are aware of the need for goggles or face shields sure they were even buying them in Woodies as there was a shortage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Can you get her a mask and/or disposable gloves ? Educating her on how she can protect herself, basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Would be fine if everyone acted responsibly but I'm sure there's still some with people crowding round counters, queuing close together out the door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Beasty wrote: »
    "I want to Break Free!"

Speaking of which... Update from prison situation.

All staff are social distancing as much as possible. All staff must be clean shaven in the event FFP3 masks are required (this is particularly fun for some of us seeing lads with Ronny Drew style beards as babyfaces for the first time ever, a bit of a laugh in a crappy time!). Prison visits have ceased. Prisoners are on staggered unlock. Social distancing is being enforced more stringently as time goes on. No more than half a dozen or so out on one landing at a given time. Hygiene is king at the moment, industrial cleaning is constant. There is an area segregated in the event of any prisoner being diagnosed with symptoms. It's a wild ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Can I still buy stamps anywhere?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ridiculous letting the thick fùck home. Should lock him up for the nations good. Dumb fùckwits like that are the whole problem.

€500 on the spot fine for people who don't have a valid reason to be out

Can I still buy stamps anywhere?

Post office maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

storker wrote: »
    Aaaargh!!! The cruelty! That gets me to just 100m short of the sea front! A curse on our conversion to metric measurements! :)

Nòoooooooooooooo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

An online friend of mine in America with terminal brain cancer got this letter from her hospital. She’s 40. I hope things don’t get bad in her home state and that she doesn’t catch coronavirus. Shit like that is just so scary. To see it written starkly like that is so shocking. I understand the rationale but holy living fuck. And she’s a pretty long-term survivor so she could have a few more years left.

768-C27-CB-DA0-C-4665-84-E0-EC751-FEA5-ACD.jpg?dl=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Post office maybe?

They staying open?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

If anyone is interested in a good investment opportunity I have a small business that is ready to mass produce a neck collar that can help enforce the 2km rule. I'm thinking it will look a bit like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbvX3elSaaY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think so, the rampant capitalism that allowed for the outsourcing of everything will rein back in. There was a school of thought which believed that a primarily service-oriented economy was a "more evolved" one, but clearly when you lack direct access to manufacturing facilities, then you may be crippled when a global emergency hits.

This was due anyway - the carbon cost of manufacturing everything in China and shipping it around the world was enormous.

For countries in the EU, this will present a good opportunity to build decent local manufacturing bases. Every country doesn't need to be individually self-sufficient.

If we weren't an EU member right now, we'd be in serious ****. We'd be food secure, but running out of almost everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Yeah not even a fine.

Covid-19 doesn't care if she is as "healthy as a trout". The overwhelming evidence is that people over 70 are substantially at risk. But some people just refuse to listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

bit of light relief

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

They staying open?

Yes.

NetChat101 wrote: »
    Saw this mentioned on another forum and the understanding there was that this applies to someone who has a repeat prescription, maybe for blood pressure tablets, and usually has to go in every month for a months worth. Under this new situation it might be the case that the pharmacist could decide to give them more than one month's supply, so effectively giving them medication beyond normal date of their prescription, not medication beyond it's "use by" date.

Not saying that is the case, just another view of it.

You are correct. Pharmacists can already give 7 days 'emergency' cover for people on repeat prescriptions. It's now extended.

People cannot read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

also it seems a lot of people missed a very troubling comment in the middle of all this - leo said pharmacies will be able to give out medicine past it's sell by/use by dates.
    No he didn't. He said that pharmacies were being allowed to dispense medications on the foot of expired prescriptions which would normally require a visit to the doctor to get renewed. And at the discretion of the pharmacist.

They staying open?

Yes. Essential service along with banks and credit unions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement