Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I know it's best to wash clothes. What I meant was is there anything else to use other than bleach for disinfecting surfaces. I always manage to get bleach on my clothes and it ruins them. I've been colouring in bleach stains on my clothes with permanent markers to try and fix the bleach stains.

Soap! If it's just this virus that is your main concern. Just always leave it for a while, then rinse it off afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

Wow folks we have a rebel here.

He is not a rebel, he is a simpleton who does not understand what a law is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

cloudatlas wrote: »
    UK already help Ireland with medical issues severe cases have been airlifted to Great Ormond Street in London.
    That's good, I didn't know that, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Genuine question.
    Family of 4, we want to go on a walk within 2km of the house for some brief exercise together. Are we allowed?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,865 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

otnomart wrote: »
    Maybe so now, but the UK can and will create more ICU beds.
    Ireland can not.

Ireland are doing so as you speak.

Opening 20 bed ICU buildings that are being constructed in 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Dettol?

I can't find the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

gyppo wrote: »
    yes, flights to and from UK still happening anyway

It doesn't matter at this stage, WHO have said as much, stop scaremongering and trying to distract from what's happening in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

Would it be fair to blame China for not only being slow in containing it nationally but also more crucially letting it out to being a global disaster as we know it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's not about allowing a 90 year old a few more months in a nursing home. This virus doesn't understand age. It's coming after all of us.

While not condoning what he said, what you are saying is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

tom1ie wrote: »
    Genuine question.
    Family of 4, we want to go on a walk within 2km of the house for some brief exercise together. Are we allowed?

Yes and people willlynch me here but it seemed leo recommended social distancing. I presume as groups block up footpaths and other trying to walk through would not be able to maintain social distancing properly and also strangers would not know you were a family

Lynch away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Soap! If it's just this virus that is your main concern. Just always leave it for a while, then rinse it off afterwards

And wash at a high temperature, that might shrink your clothes too which is handy for when the food shortages kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ridiculous letting the thick fùck home. Should lock him up for the nations good. Dumb fùckwits like that are the whole problem.

How would they when the minister for justice ordered the release of over 200 real criminals from our prisons last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Genuine question.

Not sure, but if you split into 2 pairs walking a distance apart then I would think it's ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Are the over 70s included with the rest of us as regards the 2 k radius, unless they need to shop?

Or are over 70s advised you be cocooned completely?

khalessi wrote: »
    Yes and people willlynch me here but it seemed leo recommended social distancing. I presume as groups block up footpaths and other trying to walk through would not be able to maintain social distancing properly and also strangers would not know you were a family

Lynch away

So..... are you saying yes or no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/JamieRo15001383/status/1243877203021942786

No need for such queues. Enough for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 and be bloody sure to wash your hands like your life depends on it when you bring your bins in. It just might. Wash before you leave them out too, to help protect them.

They've asked us to disinfect the bin handles before and after emptying - easy enough with a bit of bleach solution, and probably something we should have been doing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Genuine question.

Yes but expect dirty looks

So..... are you saying yes or no?

Yes and maintain social distancing when out together apart to paraphrase himself

Just a thought -

Would decompression units, as used by divers, assist breathing for people with respiratory problems?

There may be quite a few of these units around, the navy, garda divers, commercial divers, sports divers, etc. surely have access in case of emergency

Bear in mind that these units allow for various mixes so oxygen level could be increased

The below is not about decompression, but related to diving.

Italian Company Isinnova shares 3D printed adapter to turn snorkeling mask into a non-invasive ventilator
    https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/...ve-ventilator/

ISINNOVAjpg-780x470.jpg

• Advertisement

Are Sweden operating normally? Schools open n all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

https://twitter.com/JamieRo15001383/status/1243877203021942786

No need for such queues. Enough for everyone.

They are only allowing 2 in at a time apparently. A queue is inevitable in this situation.

Not sure, but if you split into 2 pairs walking a distance apart then I would think it's ok

Yeah I’m unsure myself. Wouldve been a lot easier if we were banned from leaving the house except for food medical and work if ure frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

You can just not compare the resources that the UK has, vs the resources that Ireland has.
    I will just name the UK armed forces, they have got medics, can built camp hospitals...
    And the industrial sector in the UK.

There is a a consortium called Ventilator Challenge UK, involving companies including Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Ford.
    Ireland just does not have all these industrial plants on its soil.

But we have Medtronic who normally manufacture ventilators

Tandey wrote: »
    They are only allowing 2 in at a time apparently. A queue is inevitable in this situation.

They can go back when the queues are shorter, supplies will still be there.

Don't waste a day needlessly queuing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Genuine question.

Just going on what Leo said maybe adults stay separate and walk with 1 kid each. Presuming it is two adults and two children in your family.

Yeah I’m unsure myself. Wouldve been a lot easier if we were banned from leaving the house except for food medical and work if ure frontline.

Well he more or less said stay at home unless necessary (food meds frontline) take quick walk (voluntary) for mental health.

Im home have kids and they are playing in garden out front. we might go for a short walk later but Im happy not to leave the house for 2 weeks unless I hve to do food run for sick relative, then its masks goggles and scarf

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Of course I meant an agreement by which Irish patients can be trasferred to the UK, when ICUs in Ireland are full.
    The UK has the capacity to create more ICU beds, while Ireland does not have such capacity.

are you joking the UK are going to be a many times worse than us, especially in London, they will have no extra capacity/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It doesn't matter at this stage, WHO have said as much, stop scaremongering and trying to distract from what's happening in Ireland.

not scaremongering, if you cared to look back earlier in this thread, i was simply responding to a question another poster asked. Cool your heels please

Of course I meant an agreement by which Irish patients can be trasferred to the UK, when ICUs in Ireland are full.
    The UK has the capacity to create more ICU beds, while Ireland does not have such capacity.

Such an agreement would be reciprocal, not one way.

We are already creating more ICU beds and I don't think we should be left on the hook of potentially having to import NHS patients.

Hilarious video that is the main corridor of outpatients of course it is empty. Did she get access to the wards. Oh Btw hospitals expecting huge increases next week and onwards go back and record in three weeks.

Admissions empty because schedules surgeries cancelled sheesh

Can Jim Corr please permanently self-isolate....

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    But we have Medtronic who normally manufacture ventilators
    That's great, but it is one only plant, isn't it ?

Think about all the factories still in the UK.
    Factories have been redeployed to produce goods that are useful in this epidemic.

In France, perfume factories are now producing disinfectants; in Italy, textile factories are now producing hospital gowns and face marks.

If you don't have many factories on your home soil, you can not redeploy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

How do you know I’m heartless. Humanity does act as if death won’t come to us all. And that’s what Has stood out to me from all of this. Doesn’t mean it isn’t sad or tragic or that ai want people to die

If this virus just affected people like you. I could get on board with your theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Genuine question.

It's fine in principal if you adhere to social distancing measures and go somewhere quiet.

But the patriot in me says no don't do it because it will only encourage others to be outdoors in groups.

The more disciplined we are as a whole, the sooner we will be out of this. So it's a no from me.

Actually, if you can split the group out on separate walks that would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/28/south-africa-police-rubber-bullets-shoppers-covid-19-lockdown

You would want to be starving there before risking going out :😱😱😱

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

walshb wrote: »
    Are Sweden operating normally? Schools open n all?

Light restrictions which means schools, gyms etc remain open, this is a good article covering what is going on with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We could always take the South African approach:

"South African police enforcing a coronavirus lockdown have fired rubber bullets towards hundreds of shoppers queueing outside a supermarket in Johannesburg, an AFP photographer has said."

Guardian blog
    I always smile when I hear about rubber bullets. Sounds quite innocent, like they're using Nerf guns on the crowd, but in actual fact they are dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's the calm before the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭jams100

How long do people think this is going to last?
    I can't see these restrictions being lifted after 2 weeks, my guess is 3-4 weeks.
    Also what happens in lets say a month where it's under control to an extent and then reoccurs when restrictions are lifted?
    Realistically how long can we go on like this?
    Please no smart answers such as, 'as long as it takes' :)

Where I am there is a father and 3 kids out on the road playing soccer for the last 2 hours, now not sure if that's allowed or not, but the ball has already went into my garden twice and been going into other gardens where there is elderly people. Surely isolation and stay at home means only leave your property for necessity.

Just trying to figure out the boundaries here, dont know is it the soccer ball or the bloody father that's shouting like hes a UEFA badged coach that starting to wreck my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just going on what Leo said maybe adults stay separate and walk with 1 kid each. Presuming it is two adults and two children in your family.

I was of the opinion it's stay 2m away from people NOT in your family. No point staying 2m from your wife/kids outside then putting them to bed etc and jumping into bed with your wife at home. Maybe even getting REAL close to the Mrs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How did they approach you, as a matter of interest? Did they say not to open your window or were they 2m back from you?

They waved me down at a narrow point, and stood 2m back and askd me "What is the purpose of your drive this morning, please Sir?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

jams100 wrote: »
    I can't see these restrictions being lifted after 2 weeks, my guess is 3-4 weeks.
    Also what happens in lets say a month where it's under control to an extent and then reoccurs when restrictions are lifted?

At least 4 weeks imho, but best to say 2 and continue renewing rather than say 4 now, gives people some hope I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I was up at our local food market this morning and even though there were still a good few over-70's, flouting the cocooning advice while pottering around buying their organic fruit and veg, I could tell they were grateful that we had agreed to flush our economy down the toilet for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭893bet

No one knows. That’s the high and low of it. Deal with it week by week. Day by day. Enjoy the time at home with family as best you can and pray to what ever god or person or object you want that the rest of your family/friends stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That's great, but it is one only plant, isn't it ?

Think about all the factories still in the UK.
    Factories have been redeployed to produce goods that are useful in this epidemic.

In France, perfume factories are now producing disinfectants; in Italy, textile factories are now producing hospital gowns and face marks.

If you don't have many factories on your home soil, you can not redeploy them.
    Several distilleries have started to produce hand sanitiser, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Impossible to answer really. It really is. I'd like to see 4 weeks of this and then maybe open back up done retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Light restrictions which means schools, gyms etc remain open, this is a good article covering what is going on with them.

I though the Herd Immunity strategy was flawed?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement