Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

jams100 wrote: »
    How long do people think this is going to last?
    I can't see these restrictions being lifted after 2 weeks, my guess is 3-4 weeks.
    Also what happens in lets say a month where it's under control to an extent and then reoccurs when restrictions are lifted?
    Realistically how long can we go on like this?
    Please no smart answers such as, 'as long as it takes' :)

6-8 weeks I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I was up at our local food market this morning and even though there were still a good few over-70's, flouting the cocooning advice while pottering around buying their organic fruit and veg, I could tell they were grateful that we had agreed to flush our economy down the toilet for them.

This isn't fair. Yes, that cohort may statistically have the worst potential outcomes but we're also doing this to protect our front line workers, our vulnerable children and young adults and adults, pregnant women... Each other. This virus doesn't discriminate, we've heard and seen that in countless countries.

In general, no one is happy with this but it's here. Let's get on with it, and see how to fix the economic mess when we still have a functioning society with minimal traumatised families and healthcare workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

otnomart wrote: »
    That's great, but it is one only plant, isn't it ?

Think about all the factories still in the UK.
    Factories have been redeployed to produce goods that are useful in this epidemic.

In France, perfume factories are now producing disinfectants; in Italy, textile factories are now producing hospital gowns and face marks.

If you don't have many factories on your home soil, you can not redeploy them.

O'Neill's in Tyrone are now making scrubs

Some Distilleries are making disinfectant in Ireland too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think at some point economic and politics (mainly with a focus on people's sanity and ability to pay bills) will start to overtake the medical, in driving the decision making.The State cannot fund everyone to sit at home forever, and I know people say we will borrow....which we can to a point...but that cannot go on longterm.It will have to paid back, and people in this country have taken enough in the last 10 years in that sense.

The one big thing I sincerely hope comes out of all of this, is a serious conversation and an acceptance by all of us, that we must change our health system, and that we must pay more in tax in order to fund it.It has to become a huge priority, almost the no.1 priority, intensively for the short term future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Such an agreement would be reciprocal, not one way.

We are already creating more ICU beds and I don't think we should be left on the hook of potentially having to import NHS patients.

Well, what I was trying to say is that it would be good for Ireland to have a neighbouring Country (and one with undoubtely more resources such as the UK) that could help by taking some patients when the ICUs in Ireland are full.
    I personally found uplifting that Germany did that with France, and I do not doubt that the UK would help Ireland.

I now see that most people here think that Ireland can do perfectly fine in this epidemic with its own resources and with no outside help whatsoever.

For the sake of Irish patients, I do hope that the Irish Gov does not think along these lines and is ready to ask for any outside help as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭jams100

893bet wrote: »
    No one knows. That’s the high and low of it. Deal with it week by week. Day by day. Enjoy the time at home with family as best you can and pray to what ever god or person or object you want that the rest of your family/friends stay safe.

Think our family will kill each other after 2 weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

How long do people think this is going to last?
    I can't see these restrictions being lifted after 2 weeks, my guess is 3-4 weeks.
    Also what happens in lets say a month where it's under control to an extent and then reoccurs when restrictions are lifted?
    Realistically how long can we go on like this?
    Please no smart answers such as, 'as long as it takes' :)

I'd presume the restrictions will go up and down for months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This isn't fair. Yes, that cohort may statistically have the worst potential outcomes but we're also doing this to protect our front line workers, our vulnerable children and young adults and adults, pregnant women... Each other. This virus doesn't discriminate, we've heard and seen that in countless countries.

In general, no one is happy with this but it's here. Let's get on with it, and see how to fix the economic mess when we still have a functioning society with minimal traumatised families and healthcare workers.

Why do people keep saying this, children and young adults even pregnant women are not vulnerable. Of course there are a few outliers but for the vast vast vast majority it does discriminate against the older generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Is Jim Coor the biggest troll I've ever seen or is he really that bat**** loony ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

shesty wrote: »
    I think at some point economic and politics (mainly with a focus on people's sanity and ability to pay bills) will start to overtake the medical, in driving the decision making.The State cannot fund everyone to sit at home forever, and I know people say we will borrow....which we can to a point...but that cannot go on longterm.It will have to paid back, and people in this country have taken enough in the last 10 years in that sense.

The one big thing I sincerely hope comes out of all of this, is a serious conversation and an acceptance by all of us, that we must change our health system, and that we must pay more in tax in order to fund it.It has to become a huge priority, almost the no.1 priority, intensively for the short term future.

You can take this and apply it to 100+ countries in the world. Money will have to just be printed. No one in any situation to give a "loan" every country is going to be i debt looking for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Well, what I was trying to say is that it would be good for Ireland to have a neighbouring Country (and one with undoubtely more resources such as the UK) that could help by taking some patients when the ICUs in Ireland are full.
    I can't imagine that there are any countries anywhere that have spare ICU capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Heckler wrote: »
    Is Jim Coor the biggest troll I've ever seen or is he really that bat**** loony ?

bat**** loony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭jackboy

He really believes this stuff. Check out his Twitter, highly entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

There is close to two weeks lag minimum between getting infected and verified that you're positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I personally found uplifting that Germany did that with France, and I do not doubt that the UK would help Ireland.

I now see that most people here think that Ireland can do perfectly fine in this epidemic with its own resources and with no outside help whatsoever.

For the sake of Irish patients, I do hope that the Irish Gov does not think along these lines and is ready to ask for any outside help as needed.

Well the way UK is going, if we sent patients they would have to be accompanied by frontline workers and would be put at risk.

UK cant cope as it is so sending patients from Ireland crazy

Ireland is going to be overwhelmed hence restrictions being put in place to slow the spread to lower the curve and spread out hospitalisation so they can manage better.

We can do our bit by staying home and helping to flatten out the curve so hospitals dont end up like videos from NY Italy UK that are doing the rounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Must be driving his sisters demented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Phoebas wrote: »
    bat**** loony

The effects of having 3 banging hot sisters that you can't. Must have melted his brain.

Sky news done a great report on what you were saying about economics taking over at some point. They were also quite glim saying something along the lines of 66% of people infected with covid-19 would've died in the short term anyway, (what short term actually means I dont know). Those figures were for Britain and from the NHS from what I gathered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

anybody watching bbc news at the moment? the presenter is obviously sick..sneezing and coughing uncontrollably while reading out news stories...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I though the Herd Immunity strategy was flawed?

Every country is doing herd immunity. Just trying to stagger it out over a number of weeks/months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭facehugger99

that we must change our health system, and that we must pay more in tax in order to fund it.It has to become a huge priority, almost the no.1 priority, intensively for the short term future.

The health system needs to be massively reformed before we sink more billions into it.

That means taking on all the vested interests, including the likes of the nursing unions. Any Govt. that attempts to reform it will be fcuked out of office by the electorate at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Just going on what Leo said maybe adults stay separate and walk with 1 kid each. Presuming it is two adults and two children in your family.

What are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Phoebas wrote: »
    I can't imagine that there are any countries anywhere that have spare ICU capacity.
    The Germans do and are taking people in. French are moving some people around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I have seen nothing over the past weeks to suggest that the UK will be in any sort of position to provide help to us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Suppose I'll do the whole clean the house thing I always intend to do.

He is unreal. Of course hospital is empty she was on outpatient corridor and in admissions which is empty because scheduled admissions cancelled but sure Jim happy to seek lizards so...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

Speak Now wrote: »
    Sure you only have to say you're going to the shops, they'll be no fines.

I doubt that the gangs of young lads going around packed together in cars for the last two weeks will be believed if they say "Eh, we're just popping to the shops for the few essentials."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sky news done a great report on what you were saying about economics taking over at some point. They were also quite glim saying something along the lines of 66% of people infected with covid-19 would've died in the short term anyway, (what short term actually means I dont know). Those figures were for Britain and from the NHS from what I gathered

Quite a callous thing to say. The people dying of Covid are dying alone in ICU with family members not allowed anywhere near them.....a horrendous situation for any family.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Every country is doing herd immunity. Just trying to stagger it out over a number of weeks/months

Yeah, I can see an iterative approach; lockdown, release, repeat. Gradually build up immunity. The vaccine is still a long way off. Hopefully we will find an effective treatment soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

wadacrack wrote: »
    6-8 weeks I would say

It might be longer than that.

It was hoped that the virus will slow down during the summer months but that's doubtful now according to the EU disease council or whatever it's called.

This is an article about the 1918 Spanish flu and flattening of the curve in the states at the time:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=crm-email::src=ngp::cmp=editorial::add=SpecialEdition_20200327&rid=E7B89CB310336808CB72CD1DE46163AC&utm_source=reddit.com

We're in this for the long haul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

A relative of mine is nursing in london and they are taking ventilators off older people to give them to younger people so I'm sure they have no space to help us out regarding extra capacity when they havent enough for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

I was up at our local food market this morning and even though there were still a good few over-70's, flouting the cocooning advice while pottering around buying their organic fruit and veg, I could tell they were grateful that we had agreed to flush our economy down the toilet for them.

can someone explain how the cocooning thing works if you are over 70 with underlying conditions, you cant get food deliveries as they have either been cancelled or next date is 3 weeks time. not everybody has family nearby and the local volunteer services in the most part are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I though the Herd Immunity strategy was flawed?

It isn't herd immunity as such they are going for. The article I linked to goes into a bit more detail but essentially they believe that current models that are based on other outbreaks and data inputs from high population-dense countries don't apply to them. They are using their own models to predict when and how to act based on a sparse population and only one real metropolitan area. They are also flying in the face of other ideas around that virus. Only time will tell if they are doing the right thing. The main issue I have with taking a completely different path is that if you turn out to be wrong it is too late to put the genie back in the bottle as England are finding out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Think our family will kill each other after 2 weeks :)

2 weeks ?! Jesus, we will never see 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd say the education system for producing people like that tbh.

I blame the education system for producing people who can't understand that a lockdown is pointless and futile. When it ends cases will surge. You can't continuously lock people down for a couple of years hoping to develop a vaccine. Suicides will rocket.

A 19 year old killed herself in England the other day because of the thought of indefinite lockdowns and restrictions. By supporting these actions you are promoting genocide.

Leo's totalitarian tendencies are dangerous and he is an enemy of the country.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Quite a callous thing to say. The people dying of Covid are dying alone in ICU with family members not allowed anywhere near them.....a horrendous situation for any family.

When I said great report I meant interesting report, my bad. I think what sky news were getting at was that 97% of cases so far in Britain had underlying issnesses. Again I would be interested to know how they defined short term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

zinfandel wrote: »
    can someone explain how the cocooning thing works if you are over 70 with underlying conditions, you cant get food deliveries as they have either been cancelled or next date is 3 weeks time. not everybody has family nearby and the local volunteer services in the most part are closed.

Ring an garda siochanna and ask if there are any new volunteering bodies in your area.

A lot of gaa clubs and similar are doing shopping runs for people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Just went out to the shed to put the washing in the dryer. Don't worry lads I wore a full biohazard suit and disinfected it after coming back inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭History Queen

Some stores offer click and collect and seem to have more availability. Our local supervalue take your order and payment online. You pull up outside the shop in your car and they load shopping in to your boot. Not ideal obviously but less exposure than going shopping yourself? (Assuming you drive) i think some Tesco's offer a similar service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

doylefe wrote: »
    Suppose I'll do the whole clean the house thing I always intend to do.
    I think we need a thread on that! Corona house cleaning tips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

owlbethere wrote: »
    It might be longer than that.

It was hoped that the virus will slow down during the summer months but that's doubtful now according to the EU disease council or whatever it's called.

This is an article about the 1918 Spanish flu and flattening of the curve in the states at the time:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/how-cities-flattened-curve-1918-spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=crm-email::src=ngp::cmp=editorial::add=SpecialEdition_20200327&rid=E7B89CB310336808CB72CD1DE46163AC&utm_source=reddit.com

We're in this for the long haul.

That's an interesting link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I blame the education system for producing people who can't understand that a lockdown is pointless and futile. When it ends cases will surge. You can't continuously lock people down for a couple of years hoping to develop a vaccine. Suicides will rocket.

A 19 year old killed herself in England the other day because of the thought of indefinite lockdowns and restrictions. By supporting these actions you are promoting genocide.

FFS

Parents are the primary educators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

GAA clubs, An Post and Gardaí are all volunteering to do home deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah here, I can't bloody well stand Leo but he's doing what many other countries are doing and need to do. You're mad to think Leo as some sort of dictator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Where's Grace7 is she still posting?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Downlinz wrote: »
    The message last need was that it had to be individual unless with kids, the message from the HSE today appears to indicate it's ok if within the same household.
    Both insist on 2m distancing though so regardless you're not going to be allowed walk side by side.

The 2m distancing applies to people who are not members of your household. You can go for walks etc. within a 2km radius from your house with members of your own household as long as you maintain a 2m from people who aren't members of your household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It will end one of three ways

1. An antiviral drug that can be taken for two weeks and significantly reduces symptoms from the virus. Several existing drugs are being trialed for this purpose. If one passes trials as being effective it could be in use in 6 weeks.

2. A good pin prick home blood test that can detect people with the virus and those who have been infected and process results in less than an hour without labs. Several are in development. Some governments have rejected some of them as not being sensitive enough.

3. A vaccine in 18 months or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

One of the dumbest posts I’ve seen here, congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Monitor1985

Is there any site dedicated to Irelands curve chart? To show where we could have been without the implemented restrictions and where we are heading with current restrictions?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement