Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

magma69 wrote: »
    Suck it up ffs. The measure are in place to save lives, if that means having a bit of anxiety due to being cooped up then so be it.

When did we turn into such a pack of pussies? Dozens of millions went out to die in wars not too long ago in emergencies and we're being asked to just stay at home for a few weeks. Put on your big boy/pants now and do your bit.

And our thanks to the manager of the U10s for that spirited motivational talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

They can go back when the queues are shorter, supplies will still be there.

Don't waste a day needlessly queuing.

I’d imagine some people have nothing else to be doing or aren’t arsed doing anything else.

Maybe they need a bit of food that’s why they are there

I know you’re a frog and all but don’t be jumping to conclusions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Multipass wrote: »
    Is this happening already? There’s nothing in the news about it, I didn’t think they’d reached capacity yet.
    It’s happening all over the world right now , fact

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

is_that_so wrote: »
    And our thanks to the manager of the U10s for that spirited motivational talk!

Felt like I was talking to a child alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ignoring what he said, there is a serious concern suicides will rocket as people worry how they are going feed their families. This cannot be ignored.
    rusty cole wrote: »
    not entirely to be fair. indoors a long time will drop your Vitamin D. this is linked to mood and has been used to help people with depression, as has special lighting.

So YES if someone was high risk and volatile, what's to say they wont do it. The word Vulnerable doesn't just mean older or underlying, a lot of people will struggle. It's foolish to dismiss everything people say just because it may not be articulated correctly, he has a point.
    But nobody is denying this. What's the alternative though?

At least in this day and age there are so many online resources and modes of communication for people to reach out to. I'd say there are counsellors even doing voluntary sessions by video.
    Logan Roy wrote: »
    It’s completely unrealistic. China is already after reopening after 2 months and they had it a lot worse than we did. People need to get a grip, shutting down most of the economy for months on end isn’t feasible.
    I have a grip - a tight one. The Chinese authorities were able to implement a harsh lockdown. That's not possible in democracies - people will continue to go out in close groups. That was stopped in China. Good bit longer than two months also. It's very much phased. And now they're expecting another wave of it from people coming into the country.

I'd compare Ireland to a western democracy. While I doubt (but don't know either) that it'll get as bad as Italy, two months won't be enough for them - not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

Yester wrote: »
    Are vape shops closed? I know it's trivial in the scheme of things but I switched from smoking to vaping a couple of days ago and didn't stock up.

My local shop sells the vape stuff, whatever it's called. I'm not sure if specific vape shops will be open but you'd probably get them elsewhere? I don't know is my answer unfortunately :/

Yester wrote: »
    Are vape shops closed? I know it's trivial in the scheme of things but I switched from smoking to vaping a couple of days ago and didn't stock up.

I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

Suck it up ffs. The measure are in place to save lives, if that means having a bit of anxiety due to being cooped up then so be it.

When did we turn into such a pack of pussies? Dozens of millions went out to die in wars not too long ago in emergencies and we're being asked to just stay at home for a few weeks. Put on your big boy/girl pants now and do your bit.

Totally agree. Look at Anne Frank able to deal with so much more and just a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The lockdown isn't going to work, anyone with access to half a brain and a calculator can see this.

According to Varadkar we're already nearly at ICU capacity after a couple of thousand confirmed cases and a few weeks in.

Even if we assume that there's actually 10 times the number of confirmed cases in the country, then we've around 20,000 infected out of 4.8 million and we're at capacity.

So, if we want to spread this out so ICU's don't get overwhelmed and need 2 weeks for every 20,000 that are infected, that works out at maintaining a lockdown for 480 weeks.

Even if we ramp up the ICU spaces by 4 times, that's 120 weeks we need to lock down.

The economy will be fcuked after 4 months of this - and there won't be money to borrow.

We're doing nothing now other than prolonging the inevitable while fcuking the economy at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Tandey wrote: »
    I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you tbh.

I see what you did there. I nearly missed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

Were they denied bail in the High Court? That's surprising, and good if true.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0326/1126642-spit/

District court, cannot see their solicitor wasting time going to the high court on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Felt like I was talking to a child alright.
    People process this differently. As someone said to me earlier it can come at you unexpectedly. Gotta keep the mental side on an even keel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

otnomart wrote: »
    That's great, but it is one only plant, isn't it ?

Think about all the factories still in the UK.
    Factories have been redeployed to produce goods that are useful in this epidemic.

In France, perfume factories are now producing disinfectants; in Italy, textile factories are now producing hospital gowns and face marks.

If you don't have many factories on your home soil, you can not redeploy them.

We have distilleries which have started producing hand Sanitiser

We have a company producing ventilators

We gave a manufacturer of Facemasks who the HSE have contracted directly

We have one company in Donegal producing scrubs for medical personal. Another in the North is doing the same there.

We have a fair few (plastic) injection moulding companies who could be repurposed to make essential components for medical equipment and PPE

I'm sure there are others ...

We are not without resources and skills ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see an iterative approach; lockdown, release, repeat. Gradually build up immunity. The vaccine is still a long way off. Hopefully we will find an effective treatment soon.

Models have shown this method for attaining herd immunity would itself take years, though that's based on current health system capacity.

Iceland looks to be trying to test, contact-trace and quarantine its way to stamping out the epidemic. That may be the best way.

But then we'd still have to spend another year waiting for a vaccine while living in a world where no-one can travel abroad without spending 2 weeks quarantined on arrival and again on return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Raconteuse wrote: »
    There's a few of them. Totally sneering at and undermining the seriousness of it. Truly nasty.

No-one's undermining the seriousness of it. You're ignoring the seriousness of Leo's diktats however and their anti-life effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The lockdown isn't going to work, anyone with access to half a brain and a calculator can see this.

According to Varadkar we're already nearly at ICU capacity after a couple of thousand confirmed cases and a few weeks in.

Even if we assume that there's actually 10 times the number of confirmed cases in the country, then we've around 20,000 infected out of 4.8 million and we're at capacity.

So, if we want to spread this out so ICU's don't get overwhelmed and need 2 weeks per 20,000 to be infected that works out at maintaining a lockdown for 480 weeks.

Even if we ramp up the ICU spaced by 4 times, that's 120 weeks we need to lock down.

The economy will be fcuked after 4 months of this - and there won't be money to borrow.

We're doing nothing now other than prolonging the inevitable while fcuking the economy at the same time.

Oh go preach to Italy and Spain about how important the economy is and see where that gets you. Most humans value human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 inatissy

So, if we want to spread this out so ICU's don't get overwhelmed and need 2 weeks per 20,000 to be infected that works out at maintaining a lockdown for 480 weeks.

Even if we ramp up the ICU spaced by 4 times, that's 120 weeks we need to lock down.

Haha I mustn't even have half a brain so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So, if we want to spread this out so ICU's don't get overwhelmed and need 2 weeks for every 20,000 that are infected, that works out at maintaining a lockdown for 480 weeks.

Even if we ramp up the ICU spaces by 4 times, that's 120 weeks we need to lock down.

What's the alternative?

People process this differently. As someone said to me earlier it can come at you unexpectedly. Gotta keep the mental side on an even keel!
    That is true, but having some perspective is important

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No-one's undermining the seriousness of it. You're ignoring the seriousness of Leo's diktats however and their anti-life effects.
    Cant tell if this is a google translate fail or literally just vomiting random words from a generator. Hes doing the exact opposite.

The only people who disagree with the lockdown are idiots who wouldn’t listen to what they were told and continued as normal. They caused the full lockdown we have now.

Everybody I know has been calling for this full lockdown for a week or two. Leo has done the right thing and only a fool would disagree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Still an awful lot of cars on the road in Dublin City Centre for a supposed ‘lockdown’.

What's the alternative?

Ivan Drogo life and health policy while working harder than ever to save the Irish Economy (as the world economy shìts itself anyway)

The only people who disagree with the lockdown are idiots who wouldn’t listen to what they were told and continued as normal. They caused the full lockdown we have now.

Everybody I know has been calling for this full lockdown for a week or two. Leo has done the right thing and only a fool would disagree.
    Even the guy who usually does absolutely whatever he wants, sees the necessity for these restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

Trying to keep people away from each other to slow/avoid the spread of a highly contagious and deadly virus is "anti-life"?

And, he spelled his name wrong!

No he didn't you pillock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Still an awful lot of cars on the road in Dublin City Centre for a supposed ‘lockdown’.

Are there any Garda checkpoints? Quite a few reports of them around the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Garda checkpoints, 2km exclusion zones and the like do give the impression we are even more restricted and it adds to people's anxieties.

Well we will just have to put up with it, we're not used to it and are quite relaxed. I was in Naples last September and it seemed there was an armed soldier on every street corner, when I asked locals about this, they just shrugged and said it was normal for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ivan Drogo life and health policy while working harder than ever to save the Irish Economy (as the world economy shìts itself anyway)

That's the point.

We are so reliant on the Global economy anyway, what would be left to save of the Irish one if we went on the solo run that people here want us to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

When did we turn into such a pack of pussies? Dozens of millions went out to die in wars not too long ago in emergencies and we're being asked to just stay at home for a few weeks. Put on your big boy/girl pants now and do your bit.

Not too long ago, it was 80 years ago. Suck it up, you do know people react differently to ever situations. I hate this saying, do you say the same about people with depression, they should man up and suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

It's funny. So many ppl before were claiming WHO hadn't asked for a lockdown and so it wasnt necessary so eff off.

Now it's been confirmed by WHO (and multiple health care workers right here on this thread) and they are still managing to come up with excuses as to why it's not necessary.

A-holes will be a-holes I suppose. I bet these are the same a-holes who decide it's perfectly fine to go swimming I'm the sea during orange and red weather alerts. They dont care about the lives they put at risk... once they get to do what they want to do. Hopefully this virus will wipe them out... like they deserve!

inatissy wrote: »
    Totally agree. Look at Anne Frank able to deal with so much more and just a teenager.

Anne Fank did die as a 15 year old teenager from a disease. However it was Completely different time and environment. Not comparable to a whinger on a Irish message board in 2020.

Keep going with more of this please. It'll help you get banned from this thread, as you have been banned from others, all the sooner.

I'm entitled to hold opposing views to yours whether you like that or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ridiculous and illogical, Boris.

First of all, about 30% of people with covid19 not detected or asymptomatic, not 1000%.

Secondly, the economy is already fcuked so why worry? We'll get through it as we have before. It can all be fixed.

I guarantee that when this happens in your 70s you will not be so cavalier.

Stay at home. Don't be a killer.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Well we will just have to put up with it, we're not used to it and are quite relaxed. I was in Naples last September and it seemed there was an armed soldier on every street corner, when I asked locals about this, they just shrugged and said it was normal for them.

For that to the normal is not a good thing. I don’t ever want to live in a country with a militaristic police force like in Italy or Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

This is it wrote: »
    Trying to keep people away from each other to slow/avoid the spread of a highly contagious and deadly virus is "anti-life"?

Gentle reminder not to feed the trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Enter your address and a range of 2km to find the limits of your restricted area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

We are not prolonging the inevitable. The more that we clog up the health services, and deplete our resources, the less effective they are. We have ways and means of expanding the current critical care beds numbers to accommodate in a controlled fashion. However, this number is not infinite. If we just let everybody catch the virus, then the number of needy will far outweigh the number. And we will end up with far more outraged people on boards, not understanding why their loved ones are dying, due to lack of resources. Furthermore, there will be indirect morbidity and mortality from people who die because they do not have their heart-attack treated within 90 minutes (as per current practice) or a stroke treated within 4.5 hours (as per current practice) because of an overwhelmed service

I think that we have to look at all our loved-ones. Are we willing to gamble with their lives, to save an economy that is already doomed? Ireland is a compassionate society. And we are resilient. We got through so much hardship. One rocky economic patch will not define our history. Turning our backs on the sick and needy will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Was thinking how to deal with people not doing the restrictions. Most who would have time / opportunity to mess around that way would be on pandemic payment, or already on SW, or their parents would be on such now due to closures. Not all but a good amount.
    So. Out larking, taking the proverbial, then PPSN taken on the spot and deduction of 100 from payment. Could all be done digitally.

Hmmm, maybe I have the black heart of a technocratic dictator. Oh well... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I blame the education system for producing people who can't understand that a lockdown is pointless and futile. When it ends cases will surge. You can't continuously lock people down for a couple of years hoping to develop a vaccine.

Vaccine is not the end game at least in the medium term. You get the outbreak under control. So when you reopen you then have some immunity in the population, the infrastructure in place to test, you can isolate people very quickly and you have an educated population on the subject. This all gives you the ability in the aftermath to operate in some normaility with the ability to control clusters and care for people who do get sick without a rampant population wide outbreak that overwhelms the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

No he didn't you pillock.

Have you educated yourself yet on what a law is, or are you going to continue to dribble nonsense onto your keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Gynoid wrote: »
    Was thinking how to deal with people not doing the restrictions.

Tempted to buy a shotgun... or a sniper. Take those gob****es out from the comfort of my home. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I honestly think people like him don't believe the crap they spout. They know they can make money off it, just like Alex Jones. And there's plenty of idiots who lap it up. Isn't Dave a born again Christian?

From what I've seen of him, he's always just come across as a sneering wanker of the lowest kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CaoinDory wrote: »
    It's funny. So many ppl before were claiming WHO hadn't asked for a lockdown and so it wasnt necessary so eff off.

Now it's been confirmed by WHO (and multiple health care workers right here on this thread) and they are still managing to come up with excuses as to why it's not necessary.

A-holes will be a-holes I suppose. I bet these are the same a-holes who decide it's perfectly fine to go swimming I'm the sea during orange and red weather alerts. They dont care about the lives they put at risk... once they get to do what they want to do. Hopefully this virus will wipe them out... like they deserve!

It's not people disagree with the lockdown, it's the idiots that think we can do this for months with no social and mental issues after it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Strazdas wrote: »
    Are there any Garda checkpoints? Quite a few reports of them around the city

I’ve passed a few. They’re only offering advice to people, they don’t seem to have any enforcement powers.

statesaver wrote: »

Hmm surely it should be cabin virus🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

260 new deaths in last 24 hours in UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,684 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

tom1ie wrote: »
    Genuine question.
    Family of 4, we want to go on a walk within 2km of the house for some brief exercise together. Are we allowed?

Then 2 families see you doing it so think fine they'll do it
    Then each of those 2 families are seen by 2 families so think fine they'll do it
    Then each...

Where am I going with this...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement