Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Raconteuse wrote: »
    New data has been added to Worldometer. Including the date of each country's first case confirmation.

When Italy and Spain were at the point in time that we are at now (about four weeks since the first confirmed case) they had a fraction of the deaths in this country.

A few of you need to wake up, face reality and stop denying/trivialising this.

Apart from El Duderino being way too harsh over people just going for a walk by themselves, people are not on their high horses - they are simply seeing the reality.

Thank you for pointing out what I should be doing and making assumptions about how and what i think. I invite you to read the first thread on this topic. You might find it enlightening as to what I actually think.
    cnocbui

Adverts | Friends
    Originally Posted by Snow Garden View Post
    To give people some perspective.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

CDC estimates that so far in the 2019-2020 flu season there have been at least 26 million flu illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths from flu.

How come ye dont hype up a thread on that?

To give you some perspective, 50% of Europe's population died due to the Black Death. That would be 370 million people in today's numbers. Keeping a close eye on a developing situation involving a new pandemic pathogen isn't panicking or foolish. There is far more panicking and foolishness going on regarding 'climate change' and no one has even died.

Ironic to go from being brow beaten about panicking over nothing to being lambasted for not being serious about the issue and understating it's importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

is_that_so wrote: »
    Things seem to be slowing in Spain thankfully. Both numbers down and rate of change under 10%.

Spain's official full figures are not released until 11 am Irish time the following day.

What you see on worldometers is confirmed cases so far from some regions in the day.

People keep making this error and then are shocked when the official full figures are released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Yester wrote: »
    Are vape shops closed? I know it's trivial in the scheme of things but I switched from smoking to vaping a couple of days ago and didn't stock up.

Dunno, but there are plenty of Irish online retailers who will deliver. Also a lot of Supervalus sell the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Dunno, but there are plenty of Irish online retailers who will deliver. Also a lot of Supervalus sell the liquid.

Nice one. I'll try supervalu next time I have to shop.

Ger Roe wrote: »
    NCT to resume operations tomorrow - deemed to be an essential service.
    Source - Announcement on NCT website.

It clearly isn't. There are inconsistencies in these measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Interesting cartoon

236858_RGB-1120x1186.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

jackboy wrote: »
    Yep, that sort of reactive behavior instead of planning has got us where we are today.

Nothing we done got us into this

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Travellers have been designated a high risk group and as such have been prioritised for testing, etc.
    Makes sense when you see the proximity they live together, also they have above average obesity and above average smoking prevalence. All high risk factors.

Where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Aer Lingus flight to Beijing to collect supplies is now approaching the Ural Mountains and about to enter Asia.

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

This is all a bit like waiting for the French at Killala:)
    Hope it ends better than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Nipped in to the local Lidl to grab a few necessities this morning after a stint of nightshifts. Was wearing scrubs and ID as per protocol (fresh so as not to be wearing civvies in to work and then home). One of the staff spotted me in the queue outside and sent me in to the shop, the same when queuing to pay, people stood aside and ushered me to go first. As I was leaving the store people started to applaud and the queue outside did the same. Regardless of the fact that there were far too many about for my liking in general it was a truly lovely moment, tearful almost, to get that appreciation. It was a big motivator after a long few night shifts and I felt a lot less tired and uncomfortable after (hours of wearing full PPEs is one of the most uncomfortable things ive ever experienced especially with the shortage and hence not really being able to remove them in case of no replacements).

I dont work for the HSE as I live close to the border so am with the NHS and the level of preparedness isnt as extensive as in the HSE currently. A lot of the work is clearing the boards still with the EDs of some hospitals closing so all emergencies are being filtered through our place so its is hectic but all people it must be assumed could be a Covid-19 carrier, especially if their issue is respiratory related, which must be disconcerting for patients to be talking to someone that looks like they are straight off an apocalypse movie set.

I dont know if any of those people in the store today would see this but Id like to say thank you!! It really does make a difference to morale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

UK's death rate to me looks like up to 50k infected as I think this is running at about 0.5% death rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The lockdown is completely unsustainable and ultimately of little benefit. It'll just take a while for the penny to drop for most people.

Unfortunately anyone who points out these immutable facts here is a pariah.

Since when is vaping very hard on the lungs?

Since 5 or so months ago:
    Lung Damage From Vaping Resembles Chemical Burns, Report Says

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic examined samples of lung tissue from 17 patients, all of which looked as if the people had been exposed to toxic chemicals, the researchers said.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/health/vaping-illnesses.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Just about the cocooning, are they really going to stop people on the street if they look over 70 and ask for ID?? Seems nuts. Surely any sensible Guard will be looking for gangs of gougers just hanging around the streets rather than a 71 year old out for his constitutional - within 2 km of his home obviously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There is was a traveller in a local supermarket earlier at the deli letting his chap run around the aisles, brushing off customers etc.

Good to see he got his essential potato wedges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dr hoRse

MipMap wrote: »
    What about Nebulisers, Vetolin.

I suffer from COPD and these work great

These medications work for what we call obstructive lung disease to allow air flow predominantly out of the lungs (which might seem counterintuitive) by working at the level of the larger airways which don't participate in gas exchange (oxygen for carbon dioxide at the molecular level), this takes place in the alveoli (little airway sacs).
    In covid the alveoli are damaged by inflammation and full of inflammatory cells and fluid and gunk (think of the inflammation at a skin infection) so gas exchange can't take place in this medium. - Positive pressure (and some other techniques) can keep these small sacs open allowing for gas exchange. It's really a temporising measure until the inflammatory process resolves but is designed to buy the patient time to recover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

If posters are going to use terms such as little benefit re: societal restrictions, where is the scientific evidence to back up these statements? And explain the rationale for the reason that it will not work? What are the factors to be considered that will ultimately lead to its failure? It is good to hear all opinions. But in order to promote a debate, people need to outline their thought processes. It is impossible to debate vague statements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Well US citizens will be advised to wear masks. I guess that's once they procured them. Wonder if we'll change guidance.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1243909759553634305?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

sudzs wrote: »
    Just about the cocooning, are they really going to stop people on the street if they look over 70 and ask for ID?? Seems nuts. Surely any sensible Guard will be looking for gangs of gougers just hanging around the streets rather than a 71 year old out for his constitutional - within 2 km of his home obviously!

It's for their safety! I presume they'll be asked to go home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Aer Lingus flight to Beijing to collect supplies is now approaching the Ural Mountains and about to enter Asia.

So many covid shuttles, do we stand any chance of defeating this virus ?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

USA is finding so many cases, means little though as most of them will never feel any real effects of having the virus. They are just testing 100's of 1000's of people. Their deaths per 100,000 is very low so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

We are in an incredibly lucky position right now when you think about it compared to many countries.

We've technology, infrastructure, generally have come from a place were we've got financial fire power both domestically and through the EU and unlike quite a few peer developed countries we have very benign, politically stable governance that is by consensus and most people are on the same page. That is not the case in the US at all, and several other countries suffer from similar issues.

Then we've also got the advantage of a rather logical, generally scientifically literate, engaged, and pragmatic population that isn't buying into massive conspiracy theories or descending into in-fighting and chaos. That wouldn't necessarily have been the case a half century ago.

Of course we're going to come out of this roughed up, hurt, with financial issues and all sorts of things, but we will come out of this and probably in better shape than many places around the world.

Can you imagine trying to even attempt this in a developing country. A shut down might not even be possible. It's quite likely this will end up contained in well developed countries probably by the later half of 2020 while it could still be running relatively unchecked through huge developing countries causing massive death tolls.

I'm hoping the US and a few others manage to pull themselves together and operate in a pragmatic, sane way to deal with this. The indications so far haven't been good and there's a big risk for us if the US goes into total turmoil as we are quite interlinked both economically and socially. That's why I'm looking on with horror. Their partisan fighting is besides the point, it's the lack of leadership, the in-fighting and the sloshing around of conspiracy theories and so on that are really worrying me.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Things seem to be slowing in Spain thankfully. Both numbers down and rate of change under 10%.

The numbers are a reflection of the process used to gather, collate and report them, they don't necessarily reflect any reality concerning the progress of the epidemic. We had a big drop in the numbers here too, then they got back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Somebody asked about using inhalers and nebulisers to treat this:

Basically, you have different levels of oxygen requirement. When we are well, we suck in air, which has 21% oxygen. When we are sick, for different reasons, less of this oxygen is delivered to our blood. Initially, we can go up on the % of oxygen (e.g. from 21% of the gas volume we breathe, to 40%) that is given by giving nasal cannula (nasal prongs) or a face-mask. This will maintain the oxygen at sufficient levels. However, if somebody is sick enough, this extra amount, won't be enough. They will need us to help when they suck in the oxygen. This help comes in the form of pushing the air into the lungs with a machine (CPAP/Airvo). Imagine somebody trying to climb a high wall. If they cannot reach the top, their first option is to jump higher (give them oxygen on top of what they already breathe). However, if the wall is too high, they will need somebody to give them a boost to reach the top (pushing the air in with each breath). They get a boost, every breath they take. And finally, if that doesn't work, we need our breathing machines to take over, and to do the breathing for them, to maintain the oxygen levels (and in some cases, reduce the carbon dioxide). This is known as ventilation. Imagine if the wall is too high, no amount of boosting will get the person over the wall. We then need a hoist to get them over (ventilation).

In terms of a nebuliser, it is used to administer a liquid medicine in tiny mist form. Because the particle is so small, in can reach the deeper parts of the lung. This medicine can cause the breathing tubes to expand, to give more room for the oxygen to get in. However, ultimately a nebuliser only helps if the primary reason for poor oxygen levels are tight breathing tubes e.g. patients with asthma, COPD. If this is not the main reason (as in Covid-19), it will not help. I know that in hospitals, you can give oxygen through nebulisers. However, most home nebulisers will not have that function. So, nebulisers will not help somebody with low oxygen levels, resulting from the COVID-19.

Sorry for the prolix tutorial! I just get really enthusiastic about explaining how the lungs work (I am a nerd!)

Do you work with the HSE? If so what would be the level of access to ECMO in the service. Is it hospital dependant. While NHS availability is limited there are mobile perfusionist teams that can go to different sites rather then being 'lucky' to be in a hospital where it could be a last gasp option (pardon the pun) to buy some time.

It's a mixture of stupidity and inability to want to recognise the reality.

The politicians and their advisors can't come out and say it. They just want to be able to say "well, we tried everything".

Eventually the mood will change after a couple of months of lockdown and the politicians will, as usual, follow the public mood.

The lockdown is completely unsustainable and ultimately of little benefit. It'll just take a while for the penny to drop for most people.

Well actually there is a thing called science. Sort of figures out for the benefit of everyone. Government tends to listen to that. It trumps public opinion when matters of national security are at play.

https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1241342938094940162?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Is there any site dedicated to Irelands curve chart? To show where we could have been without the implemented restrictions and where we are heading with current restrictions?

Number updated to match yesterday's report

remember the 500 ICU beds a lot of them are in use already just not for Covid19

I added in charts for all 3 rate of growth, i'm still working on them so forgive any mistakes

No Change in number
    507269.PNG

Slow Change
    507270.PNG

Big Drop in numbers
    507271.PNG

again with all of this i'm just trying to show people the 14 day delay in an change in how we deal with this
    if you wait till we are overloaded it's too late
    everyone has to make up there own mind but at least look at the maths

3 weeks no change 44K
    3 weeks slow change 29K
    3 weeks big drop 9K

1 month no change 151K
    1 month slow change 56K
    1 month big drop 11K

intresting visualization of covid
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

you need to decide what you do today to affect 3 weeks from now

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Well US citizens will be advised to wear masks. I guess that's once they procured them. Wonder if we'll change guidance.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1243909759553634305?s=20

The only reason HSE advices against using masks by the public is that there's no masks available and the priority is to secure masks for healthcare staff and people at high risk of infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Unfortunately anyone who points out these immutable facts here is a pariah.

Woah there!

Might I suggest that whether the lockdown is justified or not depends on what it's intended to achieve.

Let's see how a "softly, softly" approach works for Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Ger Roe wrote: »
    NCT to resume operations tomorrow - deemed to be an essential service.
    Source - Announcement on NCT website.

No sensible reason for NCTs to be proceeding. This proves Leo's dishonesty and incompetence.

Mod: banned from forum for 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Thread needs updating.

Northern Ireland deaths up to 15 according to the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 28 March 2020 @ 08:00 hrs

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-28-03-2020%20.jpg.png?itok=QJpCctHX

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think it’s a step too far taking away people’s freedom

The extreme measures are somewhat analogous to the idea that the speed limit on every road in the state ought be 30kmh as it would save many lives and stop many people from being seriously injured - but of course we don't have such a law because people have to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭maxpowers

No sensible reason for NCTs to be proceeding. This proves Leo's dishonesty and incompetence.

Ridiculous that these centres are open for business. Just cancel them for a few months ffs.

Well motor repair shops are deemed "non essential"
    so if it's essential to have your car tested but not essential to get it fixed
    then it's a "put you off the road" policy

• Advertisement

Well I would assume the argument is that it keeps dangerous vehicles off the road and as a result of so doing that reduces the number of car crashes, which reduces the pressure on the HSE, emergency services and the Gardai.

I'm not saying that I'd necessarily agree entirely with keeping it open, but there is a certain logic.

Things like tyre changes and so on are also still possible.

I would imagine the NCT is rather low risk anyway, given that it is carried out in a very socially distanced way normally anyway, as long as people don't congregate in waiting rooms.

There needs to be some joined up thinking on car maintenance ASAP though as we're hugely dependent on cars in this crisis. They're effectively a bubble of biosecurity to get people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well it really is an essential service. Still need anything that is on the road to be road worthy. Plus if your nct is up then it's illegal to drive the car, yet it might be the only way people can get to the shops, essential work etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

People think that masks are infallible. There is a very specific way to put them on, and to take them off. For example, one should break the ties from behind to remove it, and to never touch the front part. Masks should not encourage people to take reckless risks, that they would not take without

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Forest Avenue open for business again today for their up your own arse posh farmers market. Queue around the corner, absolutely disgraceful.

You'd think people could forgo their purple carrots for the sake of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

magma69 wrote: »
    Suck it up ffs. The measure are in place to save lives, if that means having a bit of anxiety due to being cooped up then so be it.

When did we turn into such a pack of pussies? Dozens of millions went out to die in wars not too long ago in emergencies and we're being asked to just stay at home for a few weeks. Put on your big boy/girl pants now and do your bit.

'When did we turn into such a pack of pussies?'

My answer to that plaintive question is -when the PC ideology came to town
    and became entrenched in the education system It is embedded in University faculties -especially Sociology and Education. They indoctrinate the teachers who pass it on to primary and secondary pupils ...(like a virus ,if you will). Pupils are told that they can't fail at anything ,everything is dumbed down, if you cut your finger you probably need counselling etc.
    Believe me ,I've seen it up close as I spent my career as a lecturer and I've seen how iniquitous it is in its cumulative effects .
    We're stuck with it for the foreseeable future although there are signs that there is some kickback against its worst excesses.

P.S.A nice recent example was the decision to award a blanket 100% to LC students in their oral exams -there doesn't seem to be a limit to the lunacies of PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Well motor repair shops are deemed "non essential"
    so if it's essential to have your car tested but not essential to get it fixed
    then it's a "put you off the road" policy

Motor repair is available on emergency basis so you could get it fixed

On the road safety issue, I would argue that right now that a message needs to go out very heavily on dangerous driving / risky driving / excessive speed etc.

It's totally unfair to add to stresses on the health services right now and there are certain risky driving behaviours that could be stopped.

We've empty roads at the moment and if you are driving for whatever reason, maybe take it easy and enjoy them for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

England - 926
    Scotland - 40
    Wales - 38
    Northern Ireland - 15

boardise wrote: »
    'When did we turn into such a pack of pussies?'

My answer to that plaintive question is -when the PC ideology came to town
    and became entrenched in the education system It is embedded in University faculties -especially Sociology and Education. They indoctrinate the teachers who pass it on to primary and secondary pupils ...(like a virus ,if you will). Pupils are told that they can't fail at anything ,everything is dumbed down, if you cut your finger you probably need counselling etc.
    Believe me ,I've seen it up close as I spent my career as a lecturer and I've seen how iniquitous it is in its cumulative effects .
    We're stuck with it for the foreseeable future although there are signs that there is some kickback against its worst excesses.

P.S.A nice recent example was the decision to award a blanket 100% to LC students in their oral exams -there doesn't seem to be a limit to the lunacies of PC.

Who gives a fvck about exams right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭keroseneboy

lobbylad wrote: »
    Aer Lingus EI 9018, Dublin to Beijing, just left on its first run for medical supplies

The same aircraft was used to ferry disaster relief supplies to Haiti back in 2010..EI-EAV “St. Ronán”

Motor repair is available on emergency basis so you could get it fixed

Is that for roadside breakdowns though?

NCT failures aren't often emergencies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Strazdas wrote: »
    Are there any Garda checkpoints? Quite a few reports of them around the city

Aye I got stopped in Swords this morning and asked the reason for my drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

not wanting to be the purveyor of bad news but this didnt go to well for the Czech or the Spanish.
    https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/china-delivered-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-spain-czech-republic-120032800056_1.html

hopefully they work but these stories are typical of the cheap chinese tat we see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

O'Connell Street and the bridge on a Saturday afternoon.....almost spooky to see it so empty

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1243919488027963392

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement