Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

People think that masks are infallible. There is a very specific way to put them on, and to take them off. For example, one should break the ties from behind to remove it, and to never touch the front part. Masks should not encourage people to take reckless risks, that they would not take without

I would guess the main advantage of general use would be to stop people who are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic from spreading it through droplet spread rather than to prevent you from inhaling it.

The countries that use them tend to have been ones that experienced SARS. That's why they became a thing there a few years ago. That and it was quite common to wear them in China due to air pollution issues too. So, culturally they were not that big a deal.

I think though the logic that it won't protect you from picking it up, unless you're using a very high filtration mask, and even then you need to avoid touching your face etc. is correct. However, simple masks may well reduce the cough/sneeze and spray issues to some degree. They're certainly not a magic shield though.

When supply ramps up, I would assume they will be common here too for a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

The same aircraft was used to ferry disaster relief supplies to Haiti back in 2010..EI-EAV “St. Ronán”

Surely ferry is a bad choice of words there. :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

For the person asking about check pints out side the city,
    I brought my eight year old special needs for his daily buggy ride, there was a check point Wich for anyone else is in the middle of nowhere in regards to civilisation ,a know rat run of a road for drink driving also would have been use during the foot and mouth outbreak for transportation of horses.
    They were stopping all traffic that came along.
    Asked me where I lived and we're happy to let me on my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Forest Avenue open for business again today for their up your own arse posh farmers market. Queue around the corner, absolutely disgraceful.

You'd think people could forgo their purple carrots for the sake of others.

Places that sell food are allowed to open. They should have social distancing measures though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

boardise wrote: »
    'When did we turn into such a pack of pussies?'

My answer to that plaintive question is -when the PC ideology came to town
    and became entrenched in the education system It is embedded in University faculties -especially Sociology and Education. They indoctrinate the teachers who pass it on to primary and secondary pupils ...(like a virus ,if you will). Pupils are told that they can't fail at anything ,everything is dumbed down, if you cut your finger you probably need counselling etc.
    Believe me ,I've seen it up close as I spent my career as a lecturer and I've seen how iniquitous it is in its cumulative effects .
    We're stuck with it for the foreseeable future although there are signs that there is some kickback against its worst excesses.

P.S.A nice recent example was the decision to award a blanket 100% to LC students in their oral exams -there doesn't seem to be a limit to the lunacies of PC.

That was a government decision, (all adults)nothing to do with the students. How was it PC lunacy?

Al this ****e about PC gone mad is nonsense. Ivan Yates is constantly banging the same drum, and a few weeks ago all he was worried about was if Cheltenham would be cancelled. But yeah the young people are snowflakes..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is that for roadside breakdowns though?

NCT failures aren't often emergencies

Nope local garage near me has a number you ring and they'll come out and look at your issue. Still means you dont leave the house.

Now they cant do major work, but anything that's a quick fix can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    A few days ago, the Irish Gov co-signed a letter to European Council calling for "coronabonds", together with other 8 Countries including France, Belgium and Luxembourg.
    However, the Netherlands together with Germany are the most fiercely opposed to this.
    Germany will likely change position, but the Dutch Gov is digging its heels.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/nine-member-states-ask-for-eurobonds-to-face-coronavirus-crisis/

https://www.ft.com/content/258308f6-...f-41bea055720b
    https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2020/...e-coronabonds/

Five more Countries join Ireland, France... in calling for coronabonds: the three Baltics, Slovakia and Cyprus.
    It is a total of 14 Countries now pushing for this.
    On the other side: Netherlands, Austria and Germany.
    Surely Germany can change their position in the face of this crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

loughside wrote: »
    not wanting to be the purveyor of bad news but this didnt go to well for the Czech or the Spanish.
    https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/china-delivered-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-spain-czech-republic-120032800056_1.html

hopefully they work but these stories are typical of the cheap chinese tat we see.
    I don't think we are getting any quick tests. From what they have been saying they'll stick with what they are using for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looks like some old fella arrested on O'Connell St, taken away in a van (street cam)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

statesaver wrote: »

Are they recommending marijuana instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

walshb wrote: »
    Are the over 70s included with the rest of us as regards the 2 k radius, unless they need to shop?

Or are over 70s advised you be cocooned completely?

Can anyone answer this, please?

cnocbui wrote: »

That's like taking methanol poisoning in bootleg alcohol and using it to describe the effects of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

They are advised to cocoon for their health they can choose not to. if they choose to they are subject to same 2km bar shopping as everyone else, just more susceptible to covid19 if they come in contact with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If you are over 70 you are advised to coccoon. That doesn't mean that you stay in your house and starve if you have no food. If you need to go out and get food or medicine or fuel, then you go out and get food, medicine and fuel. If you can get someone to bring it to you instead without having to leave your house, then all the better.

The 2km thing applies to people exercising, it doesn't apply to people going for essential supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

jams100 wrote: »
    Sky news done a great report on what you were saying about economics taking over at some point. They were also quite glim saying something along the lines of 66% of people infected with covid-19 would've died in the short term anyway, (what short term actually means I dont know). Those figures were for Britain and from the NHS from what I gathered

Yeah, I mean to a certain degree they may have been backing up the Tory policy in that.But listening to Varadkar last night, it obvious that decisions were being made by the medical people and that they appear to operating off a very definite model and a set of numbers.
    But we don't know the timeline of their model-and I imagine it is adjusted with new numbers each day anyway-I suppose the point I am making is that if the timeline starts to look to be based on many months, the government will start weighing their decisions in the balance more and more.

For what it's worth,I don't think this will go on for months and months, but if advisors start pointing more and more to a model with a very elongated timeline, I think other factors will start to weigh heavier and influence Gov decisions.That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Over 70s are advised not to leave their houses for any reason and to restrict those they come in contact with. They are advised to have food and medications left at the door and only essential people should have contact with them to provide basic care needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Xertz wrote: »
    Well I would assume the argument is that it keeps dangerous vehicles off the road and as a result of so doing that reduces the number of car crashes, which reduces the pressure on the HSE, emergency services and the Gardai.

I'm not saying that I'd necessarily agree entirely with keeping it open, but there is a certain logic.

Things like tyre changes and so on are also still possible.

I would imagine the NCT is rather low risk anyway, given that it is carried out in a very socially distanced way normally anyway, as long as people don't congregate in waiting rooms.

There needs to be some joined up thinking on car maintenance ASAP though as we're hugely dependent on cars in this crisis. They're effectively a bubble of biosecurity to get people around.

In my non expert opinion, the risk is having a non family unit person sitting in your car and having a go at the controls. Also for the tester - having to sit in a conveyor belt of cars driven by people outside of his family unit - who knows the health of whomever drove it to the centre - what if they coughed all over the dash on the way in?

If I was a tester, I would jack the job in now, in the interests of maintaining the health and safety of my family. If I was due a test, I would refuse to attend, for the same reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

maxpowers wrote: »
    Ridiculous that these centres are open for business. Just cancel them for a few months ffs.

They can use the time to fix all the lifts if they haven't done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

This makes perfect sense. They live in enviroments that probably make social isolation much more difficult. Large amounts are probably not adhering to the any of the rules. It is going to be hugely difficult to enforce. They are as a result a very high risk group for an outbreak cluster. This will cause huge pressure on the health system. Why not cut it out at source and make sure they are tested before the problem starts.

I know this raises all sorts of other questions but in this situation it is the practical and prudent thing to do. Well done to the government for this foresight and for making what will be seen as an unpopualar decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

joe40 wrote: »
    That was a government decision, (all adults)nothing to do with the students. How was it PC lunacy?

Al this ****e about PC gone mad is nonsense. Ivan Yates is constantly banging the same drum, and a few weeks ago all he was worried about was if Cheltenham would be cancelled. But yeah the young people are snowflakes..
    Can't stand him. Awful broadcaster imo.

And what a gobshyte for saying restrictions due to this devastating virus are political correctness, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

There is was a traveller in a local supermarket earlier at the deli letting his chap run around the aisles, brushing off customers etc.

Funny enough that happens with settled people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

not wanting to be the purveyor of bad news but this didnt go to well for the Czech or the Spanish.
    https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/china-delivered-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-spain-czech-republic-120032800056_1.html

hopefully they work but these stories are typical of the cheap chinese tat we see.

couple of more links...and did the Irish gov. get test samples before they ordered??

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-supplied-faulty-coronavirus-test-kits-to-spain-czech-republic/

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-turkey-faulty-chinese-kits-not-use

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Five more Countries join Ireland, France... in calling for coronabonds: the three Baltics, Slovakia and Cyprus.

Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I believe they are to cocoon altogether if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Forest Avenue open for business again today for their up your own arse posh farmers market. Queue around the corner, absolutely disgraceful.

You'd think people could forgo their purple carrots for the sake of others.

It all depends whether people were social distancing in the queue, the other part of it is just your own snobbishness against folks who like fresh produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

joe40 wrote: »

What about the older vulnerable generation who wont stay in and have seen it all. What will we call them.

Doesn't make for a good headline, ya see!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Woah there!

Might I suggest that whether the lockdown is justified or not depends on what it's intended to achieve.

Let's see how a "softly, softly" approach works for Sweden.

It will be very educational, when this pandemic abates, and when statistical data is analysed, to compare the different approaches taken by different countries and see what difference it made in the end.
    It’s impossible to know at this stage which countries are handling the crisis better or worse than others. In the case of Sweden, they do not seem to be doing much different than countries which have adopted a different approach. It could be that the only way to stop this is the Chinese way - complete lockdown from the start.
    Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

In view of the incredibly high error rate of the kits, Spain-- one of the worst-hit by Covid-19, with deaths surpassing over 4,800-- has announced that it is sending back the first batch of Covid-19 testing kits that it received from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Over 70s should be cocooned completely.
    The Government has said all those who are over 70 or who are extremely medically vulnerable should "cocoon" for the next two weeks. But what does that actually mean?
    Essentially, people in these two categories should not leave their homes at all.
    If you are in these categories you should not even go to the shops and you should not leave your home or garden to exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Big lump in my throat.
    More of the same please.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Spain looks like it'll be top of the deaths list today but you never know with Italy they're still increaseing when it comes to deaths
    Huge gap when it comes to deaths per million between these 2 countries and the rest
    Is it that they lost control or is it a matter of time?
    Is any non Asian country having a consistent decline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Well US citizens will be advised to wear masks. I guess that's once they procured them. Wonder if we'll change guidance.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1243909759553634305?s=20

Id be a bit worried if such advice was given here. There are plenty of articles on the WHO website giving the rationale on why it may not be best practice. From my own experience with working in Healthcare for 15 years is that people can become complacent when wearing masks/gloves without the knowledge or understanding of infection control. I'm sure you have all seen people at delicounters serve up a sandwich and then take money still wearing the gloves - they forget to wash hands or change gloves after. When people personally feel protected then it is often human nature to not to continue thinking of cross contamination to others.

Masks are usually used in a healthcare setting, especially in theatres and the ED to protect the healthcare worker from splashes. As far as filtering out pathogens, well disposable masks are not designed for that and their integrity starts to go after a few minutes. Again people touch the masks to adust them and then proceed to touch their face or other things around them.

It may help in people feeling useful in preventing the spread of disease, they would help if someone has Covid and if they cough or sneeze would catch some of the droplets but not necessarily more than a sleeve or hanky, awareness of proper disposal is needed like with a tissue but the inclination would not to be to discard the mask.

Seems as much a tactic to create some sense of proactive measures by a government rather than a proper defence or effort to sontain the spread.

Its all goes back to the key principles of good hand hygiene, good manners when coughing/sneezing and social distancing. Then proper self isolation with mild cases and following advice of the HSE if moderate or severe cases. Keeping in mind underlying issues and age maybe too if showing symptoms.

My pennys worth...

Spain looks like it'll be top of the deaths list today but you never know with Italy they're still increaseing when it comes to deaths
    Huge gap when it comes to deaths per million between these 2 countries and the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't know if you are trying to be funny but giving bad advice is not on at the present time.

Was that not correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Over 70s should be cocooned completely.

Forcibly?

Spain looks like it'll be top of the deaths list today
    but Italy they're still increaseing when it comes to deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Xertz wrote: »
    We are in an incredibly lucky position right now when you think about it compared to many countries.

We've technology, infrastructure, generally have come from a place were we've got financial fire power both domestically and through the EU and unlike quite a few peer developed countries we have very benign, politically stable governance that is by consensus and most people are on the same page. That is not the case in the US at all, and several other countries suffer from similar issues.

Then we've also got the advantage of a rather logical, generally scientifically literate, engaged, and pragmatic pollution that isn't buying into massive conspiracy theories or descending into in-fighting and chaos. That wouldn't necessarily have been the case a half century ago.

Of course we're going to come out of this roughed up, hurt, with financial issues and all sorts of things, but we will come out of this and probably in better shape than many places around the world.

Can you imagine trying to even attempt this in a developing country. A shut down might not even be possible. It's quite likely this will end up contained in well developed countries probably by the later half of 2020 while it could still be running relatively unchecked through huge developing countries causing massive death tolls.

Watched a report on Sky News from Johannesburg highlighting how utterly unenforceable any kind of distancing measure is in the the townships even with the army involved and it made my whole being shudder. I mean it's going to get v bad here and other parts of the developed world, but when this thing hits the poor parts of the world it's going to be on another scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thank you for that. My wife and I needed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I don't know if you are trying to be funny but giving bad advice is not on at the present time.

I think altogether means totally in the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

cloudatlas wrote: »
    It all depends whether people were social distancing in the queue, the other part of it is just your own snobbishness against folks who like fresh produce.

I'm sorry but there's a big enough Tesco down the road with decent space and airflow.

People cramming into a tiny restaurant to get their hands on some obscure broccoli is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭This is it

Gynoid wrote: »
    I think altogether means totally in the sentence.

It does, it's different to "all together".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

strawdog wrote: »
    Watched a report on Sky News from Johannesburg highlighting how utterly unenforceable any kind of distancing measure is in the the townships even with the army involved and it made my whole being shudder. I mean it's going to get v bad here and other parts of the developed world, but when this thing hits the poor parts of the world it's going to be on another scale.

India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Nigeria....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I think if they don’t allow this, we’ll see the end of the EU as we know it. Solidarity seems to be in short supply and rather it’s every country for itself. Germany has the most to lose if that happens, so it’ll be interesting to see which side of self preservation they favour

Yester wrote: »
    Was that not correct?

Apologies, I read your post incorrectly. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

Apologies, I read your post incorrectly. My bad.

No worries. It wasn't my post though. I just wasn't sure what you meant. I see now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

In view of the incredibly high error rate of the kits, Spain-- one of the worst-hit by Covid-19, with deaths surpassing over 4,800-- has announced that it is sending back the first batch of Covid-19 testing kits that it received from China.

Aer Lingus are flying out to collect PPE. Not tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Nigeria....

..will probably do ok given their age profile.

Neither the developed world or the developing world can handle this virus if it goes past the capacity of the health service.

Both are in the same boat.

However the low median age will probably protect these areas.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement