Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

This is the flight from Dublin to China to pickup PPE and other Equipment.

This is what’s waiting

507372.jpeg

507371.jpeg

Can't wait for the masks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

Without wishing to sound condescending or mean minded, I think many of the over 70s who are active and healthy will NOT cocoon at all.

I'm no spring chicken but well under 70 and have stayed in the house the last while with a bit of gardening and a walk early in the morning only.

However, a relative aged 71 with HBP and rheumatoid arthritis took it upon himself to get the bus into town on Thursday, found a barber shop open and had a haircut.

Sorry now, but jayzis I lost the plot with him, but he still doesn't get it. Went off around his town this morning, dropped into the shop for the paper and a lotto ticket etc. etc.

What do we do with that kind of an attitude. Nothing is sinking in at all.

spose he'll only have his epiphany when he's gasping for his last breath alone in hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

loughside wrote: »

Never a good idea to buy on Alibaba.com

Yeh, nobody did that. When's your next anti-Chinese screed?

I see the Chinese helping out, meanwhile the Orange buffoon is trying to steal Europe's tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

More than a lockdown it looks more like a bank holiday...not serious at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Some sources saying a more detailed essential businesses and workers list is to be released.
    No mention of it on other sources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The only people who disagree with the lockdown are idiots who wouldn’t listen to what they were told and continued as normal. They caused the full lockdown we have now.

Everybody I know has been calling for this full lockdown for a week or two. Leo has done the right thing and only a fool would disagree.

Lol, you're a gas man Nox, two weeks ago you were sneering and laughing at people condemning the idiots that went to Cheltenham, some of whom bought the virus back with them!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

We are not prolonging the inevitable. The more that we clog up the health services, and deplete our resources, the less effective they are. We have ways and means of expanding the current critical care beds numbers to accommodate in a controlled fashion. However, this number is not infinite. If we just let everybody catch the virus, then the number of needy will far outweigh the number. And we will end up with far more outraged people on boards, not understanding why their loved ones are dying, due to lack of resources. Furthermore, there will be indirect morbidity and mortality from people who die because they do not have their heart-attack treated within 90 minutes (as per current practice) or a stroke treated within 4.5 hours (as per current practice) because of an overwhelmed service

I think that we have to look at all our loved-ones. Are we willing to gamble with their lives, to save an economy that is already doomed? Ireland is a compassionate society. And we are resilient. We got through so much hardship. One rocky economic patch will not define our history. Turning our backs on the sick and needy will!

Let's compare this to a crowded indoors event, maybe people will get it, then. The fire alarm goes off. If everyone calmly gets up and leave in an orderly manner, the emergency doors will be wide enough for everyone to go through safely and quickly, and lots of lives will be saved. If there's a stampede, people will fall and get trampled over, people will be crushed, people will get stuck in the doorways trying to get out and many, many people will die.
    khalessi wrote: »
    Do you understand what we are about to face. In NY one person is dying is dying every 17 minutes and hospitals are overwhelmed. It is described as hell only worse. https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/another-84-people-killed-by-coronavirus-in-new-york-city/

The point of the lockdown is to SLOW the SPREAD so we flatten a curve to help our hospitals. The hospitals will become overwhelmed we know that but we can lessen it by staying home for the most part.

We are about to be hit by a health tsunami of unprecedented proportions and we can help by changing our hobbies for a little while. Similar to how people used to use blackout curtains during bombing raids in war.

I know this does not suit your thinking but have a look around at your family and tell me which one you want to die. If the answer is none well then just sit down for a little while watch a movies exercise go for a short walk but help slow down the spread and flatten the curve.

I am asking you not to be so blind, as a nurse, as someone immuncompromised and as a relative of people with serious health issues. I want to be able to look at their faces when this is over. I want to be able to hug them again

Thank you. I do hope people will listen to this and take it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Can't wait for the masks

Apparently this flight arrives in tomorrow and the Army is on standby to deliver the PPE to hospitals.

And this is only the very first batch : there will be many more flights to China in the next two weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,860 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

90844613_1581165775381540_3448348088551342080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=2d5d41&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=IkRR5ek1LkIAX9sdFvB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=e3064408d2439def516378b22779db44&oe=5EA6AE4B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Governor of New York announces that peak still not expected for another 14 -21 days.

Chile and Ecudaor report 300 and 200 new cases respectively and will soon be the second and third south american nations to reach 2000 cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

NHS England medical director Prof Stephen Powis says if the death toll in the UK is kept below 20,000, "we will have done very well". It was "possible to get on top of this virus",

Essentially best case scenario.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Governor of New York announces that peak still not expected for another 14 -21 days.

Chile and Ecudaor report 300 and 200 new cases respectively and will soon be the second and third south american nations to reach 1000 cases

Interestingly, the NY peak is considered to be a week or two behind the north western European one and the Californian one another week behind again.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

People think that masks are infallible. There is a very specific way to put them on, and to take them off. For example, one should break the ties from behind to remove it, and to never touch the front part. Masks should not encourage people to take reckless risks, that they would not take without

Yeah, but it’s not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Got an email from work saying that the €350 payment is not applicable to those in reciept of the €203 temp lay off payment. Instead a precentage of you average earnings. Havent seen anything about this online though? Any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭gifted

What colour jocks was he wearing ?

Aren't you a right funny person?....bet the one liners just roll off your tongue and you go to bed at night thinking that everyone says your sound and they are delighted to be your friend....when is your next stand up gig?....oh yeah, nearly forgot ...your just the person who thinks they're funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump going to isolate New York, lock it down, no one out. See we should be doing that with Dublin, our epicentre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Sono Topolino

jprender wrote: »
    Grand.

So in your neighbourhood, due to the volume of people and width of the paths, you think it’s a good idea to stay home

That doesn’t mean it should apply to the whole friggin country.

I’m happy to have different rules depending on population density and width of the footpath. Unfortunately this isn’t how Ireland works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Trump is on talking shyte via LBC radio, I missed a bit but sounds like restriction of travel or something like quarantine of NY. Also restrictions re Florida.... where Mar a Largo is and Louisiana.

He is an idiot, I am sorry now, but he is.

Trump going to isolate New York, lock it down, no one out. See we should be doing that with Dublin, our epicentre

Have you seen Dublin city centre this afternoon? We are *in* full lockdown

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1243933866907373568

• Advertisement

If you cannot go further than 2km from home except for shopping everywhere is isolated now really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

joe40 wrote: »
    You're right anyone with access to half a brain probably will think like that.
    Thankfully the medics leading this have access to full brains plus years of experience.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

moonage wrote: »
    The science behind face mask usage in a pandemic would seem to contradict the WHO position:

Thanks for finding and sharing. I guess it's a greater good thing going. Of course health workers should be protected first. Saying masks don't work because people are stupid isn't a good argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Without wishing to sound condescending or mean minded, I think many of the over 70s who are active and healthy will NOT cocoon at all.

I'm no spring chicken but well under 70 and have stayed in the house the last while with a bit of gardening and a walk early in the morning only.

However, a relative aged 71 with HBP and rheumatoid arthritis took it upon himself to get the bus into town on Thursday, found a barber shop open and had a haircut.

Sorry now, but jayzis I lost the plot with him, but he still doesn't get it. Went off around his town this morning, dropped into the shop for the paper and a lotto ticket etc. etc.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain." - Vivian Greene
    Perhaps he thinks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

cork city centre and suburbs deserted odd walker around-double decker bus just went passed with 1 person on it well besides the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

FVP3 wrote: »
    Yeh, nobody did that. When's your next anti-Chinese screed?

I see the Chinese helping out, meanwhile the Orange buffoon is trying to steal Europe's tech.

Anything from China will fall to pieces within a couple of hours. Have you ever heard of anything from China that lasts??

Why didnt you get your bosses over in EU land to help out? After all they are taking your money now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,549 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't see him locking down New York, that place is basically his lovechild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Anything from China will fall to pieces within a couple of hours. Have you ever heard of anything from China that lasts??

Why didnt you get your bosses over in EU land to help out? After all they are taking your money now.

Iphones made in china...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anything from China will fall to pieces within a couple of hours. Have you ever heard of anything from China that lasts?

Probably half of the electronics I own are made in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Iphones made in china...

M

New York Governor on CNN, man talks proper sense clear and calm, giving it to people as it is.

Lovely weather today, for a nice long short walk in the countryside.

kalkat2002 wrote: »
    More than a lockdown it looks more like a bank holiday...not serious at all

Dead where I am, normally jammed at weekends. Temple bar looks dead on webcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Similar to South Korea at the beginning of the outbreak , Germany's mortality rate continues to creep upward from an initial 0.2% to 0.75% today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

is this a joke?

every piece of consumer electronics originates from China... from pure crap to the highest end..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The device you typed that out on was probably made in China or at least part of it.

How long have you had the device your using to post here on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There's a class of OAP which will take no heed of anyone or anything. It's a "I survived the war, I won't be beaten by this" mentality. They think they are being defiant rather than stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Surviving the coronovirus.

But I was putting myself there as an old person ( were I old) so that statistic doesn't matter to my thought experiment. It doesn't mean that nobody is older than 60 by the way.

Do you think the age profile is low because they all die before they get old, or because of a high birth rate? It's more the latter than the former.

If you were an old person, surrounded by young people spreading the virus... You'd fancy your chances? Hmm... I wouldn't.

I think Africans don't live very long... because life is very hard and old people do not get "cocooned" in these places, like they might over here.

Some of the out of shape middle-aged people over here in the west, would be cannon fodder in many African countries. I'm talking about people who jump in the car to buy milk in the shop, because they're too out of shape to walk for 30-40 mins... those people would not last more than a couple of months in most African countries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There's a class of OAP which will take no heed of anyone or anything. It's a "I survived the war, I won't be beaten by this" mentality. They think they are being defiant rather than stupid.

There's another class who think "I've lived long enough and I really don't care if this takes me out"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can't see him locking down New York, that place is basically his lovechild.

It votes Democrat, he'll isolate it and then build a wall round it to be sure. He better just hope his plane doesn't crash into it at some future point. ;)

His handlers probably had to explain to him in baby talk that, no Mr Pwesident, you can't newk New York.

New York Governor on CNN, man talks proper sense clear and calm, giving it to people as it is.

Very impressive, he is indeed something else.

Would be great if he was able to sneak on to the Dem ticket for the election. Could/would that happen now?

My "bosses" in the EU have not done much either, truth be told.

But unlike the Orange man, they haven't tried to harm Europeans.

All Europeans who suppose the Orange man are clearly deranged. Europe needs to leave NATO ( who also done nothing although MASH hospitals, medics, and sterilising equipment exist in the US barracks) and ally with our new friends in China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Got an email from work saying that the €350 payment is not applicable to those in reciept of the €203 temp lay off payment. Instead a precentage of you average earnings. Havent seen anything about this online though? Any idea?

I guess that they are referring to this payment:
    https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/topics/covid-19-payments/

You have to leave your employment to get that (be P45d)

As for the €203 payment - that's so last week. Now it's the Wage Subsidy Scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Dead where I am, normally jammed at weekends. Temple bar looks dead on webcam.
    It is dead, and has been for a few weeks. Most people are taking it seriously. Anyone who claims otherwise is hysterical.

There is a class of curtain-twitching types on Boards who are getting very upset about people going for a walk, with or without members of the household they live with. They are taking copious notes on people's records, and probably have the Guards plagued with calls.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    There's another class who think "I've lived long enough and I really don't care if this takes me out"

Yep.

Some old people, though not tired of life, have a fatalistic attitude to death. Some want to hold on forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭This is it

Strazdas wrote: »
    Have you seen Dublin city centre this afternoon? We are *in* full lockdown

https://twitter.com/NewstalkFM/status/1243933866907373568

I'm actually impressed. Well done people, keep up the good work.

M

Very impressive, he is indeed something else.

Would be great if he was able to sneak on to the Dem ticket for the election. Could/would that happen now?

Yes he's presidential material.

Boggles wrote: »
    The device you typed that out on was probably made in China or at least part of it.

You got that right!

MBPR-Power-cable.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement