Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Just watch contagion OMG even the bat was the source
    Then flicked on to the governor of new york thought i was still watching the movie
    That guy is cool, calm and so connected president material,but democrats prefer deadbeat presidential candidates

apparently it was a pangolin

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

Does anyone have a recording of, or link to, Simon Harris's briefing today?

He was excellent in conveying the message to those who are still not fully complying/who are zoning out due to stress/whingeing about first-world problems, e.g. a number of my relatives:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Unfortunately anyone who points out these immutable facts here is a pariah.
    So you just don't get the fact that the hospitals will be swamped unless we shutdown? Jesus wept...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

cosanostra wrote: »
    "You stay at home unless you really cant work from home" Simon Harris seems to imply that the likes of factory workers will be exempt workers

That quote applies to essential workers in the various categories mentioned - health, transport etc. Even if you are listed essential - try and work from home.

It does not imply that factory workers in general will be exempt - factories are going to close, but there may be some that will be prescribed as essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

FVP3 wrote: »
    It wouldn't spread as much as they would get to herd immunity without serious effects.

You are insisting on making my point for me, which is that Africa's younger ( and perhaps fitter) population will mean that Covid won't be as big a threat. Obviously there are other conditions over there ( ebola and TB) which would mean that getting this on top of those would be a problem, but in general Africa as a whole will do ok.

Herd immunity is a theory. It's efficacy is disputed.

Ebola killed about 11,000 people in western Africa, almost 50% of the total people who contracted it... How do you work out that Covid19 will not be a threat when it is far more infectious... and prays on people with poor health?? (Many Africans have very poor health)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Does anyone have a recording of, or link to, Simon Harris's briefing today?

He was excellent in conveying the message to those who are still not fully complying/who are zoning out due to stress/whingeing about first-world problems, e.g. a number of my relatives:)

think this is it
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1243941104287993856?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And in the US Trump looks like delivering again - a quarantine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52079121

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nesta99 wrote: »
    I am not saying that people shouldnt wear masks, what I am concerned about is that people who wouldnt be familiar with the additional care that is needed to truly mitigate against the spread could actually increase risk.
    +1 I've noticed a few people, not many, but a few people wearing masks and like the doc in the other thread so far I've only seen one person wearing one correctly.
    During the H1N1 episode all frontline NHS staff were fitted with respirator type masks and given a supply of filters. Occupational health had us wear the masks, put 'canopy' over our head and pumped really obnoxious smelling gas in to the free space - if you got a whiff of anything then the mask was refitted.
    If when fitted you didn't smell anything they were masks that also had an activated charcoal layer(very similar to military gas masks). They have a finite use as they saturate.
    Evidence based research has shown that they dont make a sinificant difference to most patients in the clinical enviornment in terms of reducing post-op infection.
    True, but evidence based research has also shown they do mitigate risks for spreading pathogens for both those who are already infected and those who don't want to be. Post op infection is a different setup. I can dig up any number of research that demonstrates this, but I don't want to drag us down the masks topic. Again.
    When you see people wearing masks that are for dust particulate like those used on construction sites its is apparent that people dont rally understand the appropriate use in terms of preventing microorganism spread.
    Actually it's the PP3 rated particulate HEPA filters, a type you can find in construction and industrial uses, that are precisely the type required against viruses etc. Specifically medical versions are pretty much identical(though some run a further UV sterilisation stage). Funny enough they're not much use at stopping the spread of infection from an already infected person wearing one as the exhaled air is unfiltered.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

All Europeans who suppose the Orange man are clearly deranged. Europe needs to leave NATO ( who also done nothing although MASH hospitals, medics, and sterilising equipment exist in the US barracks) and ally with our new friends in China.

There is no friends in politics and economy. Just interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Italian death toll passes 10,000. ( Euronews alert)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sky news now reporting on social unrest in southern Italy. Supermarkets raided for food...

889 new deaths in Italy.

Just my opinion, but can't help but notice both the English and American midia are using bad news from other countries in regards to the outbreak to deflect from there own problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

is_that_so wrote: »
    And in the US Trump looks like delivering again - a quarantine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52079121

It'll be a beautiful quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

apparently it was a pangolin

A pangolin who was bitten by a bat, I believe. The genome of the virus is very similar to one of the bat choronaviruses.

The pangolin, it's flesh and scales, are used in traditional Chinese medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DevilsHaircut

spookwoman wrote: »

Brilliant. Thank you spookwoman!

I think we can assume that most of us on this thread are doing the right thing. But it's the others that we need to get through to.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

DubInMeath wrote: »
    What device are you using to post here with?

A PC, why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

It'll be a beautiful quarantine.

A quarantine like no one has ever seen before.

He's going to build a wall around it

Brilliant. Thank you spookwoman!

I think we can assume that most of us on this thread are doing the right thing. But it's the others that we need to get through to.

It’s also being streamed live on the RTE News channel on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/elGZwuwMGsI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

smurf492 wrote: »
    Still no sign of the essential business list?

Well my employer just sent me a message, business as usual. We make medical devices that are only used in elective procedures which have been cancelled in Europe, and apparently are due to be cancelled in the USA...but apparently they have our safety in mind

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    He's going to build a wall around it

Which New York is going to pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Germany havnt been counting deaths like other countries, they record patients as dying from underlying health difficulties rather than counting it as a Coronavirus death. Their official death count is too low.

This is a 'tactic' that has been used by health services for years. Deaths were and are recorded as simply pneumonia or multi-organ failure rather than multi-organ failue as a complication of sepsis for example. And this usually happens when the initial and treatable systemic infection has been missed.

In the past it played down cases involving resistant strains of bacteria and before that HIV/AIDS to minimise public concern. A tad off topic but If Germany are doing similar in a 'nothing to see here' effort its scandalous!

As hard as it might be for people to believe, the balance between preparing the Irish nation for this pandemic, not cause outright panic but not show complacency has been very good. As I alluded to much earlier in the thread other national services are weeks behind the curve!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

God but people are just arseholes. Bunch of selfish pricks beside where I live fishing, 2 cars just gone down in the last few minutes, multiple people in the car and now having a chat in the car park. It's amazing how many people think rules don't apply to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

Just my opinion, but can't help but notice both the English and American midia are using bad news from other countries in regards to the outbreak to deflect from there own problems

You mean the media have their targets and punchbags?

I was going to make a sarcastic joke but, I now realise, the majority of people don't even realise that. They'll breathe in anything that's printed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

delaad wrote: »
    This is all a bit like waiting for the French at Killala:)
    Hope it ends better than that

It's at about 38000 ft over eastern Russia I think. Due to land in just over 2 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

God but people are just arseholes. Bunch of selfish pricks beside where I live fishing, 2 cars just gone down in the last few minutes, multiple people in the car and now having a chat in the car park. It's amazing how many people think rules don't apply to them

ring the local station, the guards will be on it. They are endangering the safety of others.

• Advertisement

A pangolin who was bitten by a bat, I believe. The genome of the virus is very similar to one of the bat choronaviruses.

The pangolin, it's flesh and scales, are used in traditional Chinese medicine.

it then eaten by a Wuhanese male farmer ! Thats what i heard, not gospel though

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Holy sh1t, are we finally gonna see Escape from New York for real???

Where’s Kurt Russel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Brilliant..

The greatest quarantine in the world. We got some fantastic quarantines.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

I wonder do they know where this Wuhanese male is now?im kind of not happy with him

walshb wrote: »
    Brilliant..

The greatest quarantine in the world. We got some fantastic quarantines.

black Monday coming, one like we've never seen before

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Sub human scum.

3rd one this week, there was a guy on here advocating ignoring the Garda and calling the Government a Junta (thankfully banned now). This country has more than its fair share of such filth.

MOR316 wrote: »
    You mean the media have their targets and punchbags?

I was going to make a sarcastic joke but, I now realise, the majority of people don't even realise that. They'll breathe in anything that's printed

I not blind to the fact of how the media works, just annoying listening to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think that'll be a case of bias affirmation on your part as an Irishman :)

Sky has been very good covering Italy as the warning from the future for the UK. Beth Rigby always has a tricky probing question to put when she is at the remote government presser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

zvone wrote: »
    There is no friends in politics and economy. Just interest.

Yeh, ok. Being allied the US isn't in our interest. Lord Palmerston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Akrasia wrote: »
    Holy sh1t, are we finally gonna see Escape from New York for real???

Where’s Kurt Russel?

I dunno could be more like The Division.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/489963-la-mayor-says-city-is-likely-5-days-away-from-coronavirus-reaching-nyc
    Epidemic in Los Angeles predicated to be on par with NYC within less than a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭893bet

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Well my employer just sent me a message, business as usual. We make medical devices that are only used in elective procedures which have been cancelled in Europe, and apparently are due to be cancelled in the USA...but apparently they have our safety in mind

I think we work for the same company lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Liz Canavan's press briefing there - I'd say those people waiting on a definitive list of non-retail essential services are even more confused now. Ultra-vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Here's a recording of a Zoom call from a doctor in New York to his family and friends explaining how to protect themselves. Contains some good advice.

https://vimeo.com/399733860?ref=em-share

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Germany havnt been counting deaths like other countries, they record patients as dying from underlying health difficulties rather than counting it as a Coronavirus death.
    This is simply untrue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am reading a history of China right now. Not really getting that. Insular yes, feeling superior to the rest of the world, yes but in the sense of not really caring to find out. Japan had that until the mid 19th C.

All cultures have some of that. It beats invading everywhere to impose capitalism christianity democracy.

Their society was hierarchical but not more so, and often more meritocratic than, the West. They've had an imperial exam system for 1000 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_examination

Confucianism is a system of government which, while accepting the hierarchy of the elites over the poor ( like everywhere), also depends sacrifice from the rich. Western oligarchies could learn from that.
    Their society was hierarchical and for far longer. It's why they had brief periods of incredible innovation followed by stagnation. In simple terms, there was no point in coming up with a better mousetrap if you're a pottery maker. You'd be ignored for the most part. Social movement was extremely regimented. Your example of the examinations a good example of that. You mentioned Confucianism, but left out Taoism. That had a huge impact and stymied innovation. Centralised, insular, inward looking and stagnated by monumental bureaucracy. Take printing. They(and the Koreans) came up with it and did little enough with it. It comes to Europe and it changed human civilisation within the span of a human lifetime. Take gunpowder. Ditto. If you took a Chinese peasant from the tenth century and transported him to eighteenth century China he'd see few differences, if you did the same with a European peasant his head would spin.

So nah overall, I think I'll still take Western culture and politics and philosophies over the Chinese empire's ta very much. Hell, in many ways they themselves do. If you removed western tech and surface culture from modern China, you'd have a very different looking country indeed. And they're pretty good at the oul capitalism, though pretty crap at democracy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Carbon125 wrote: »
    This is simply untrue.

have to say I did wonder, have you any sources?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 I've noticed a few people, not many, but a few people wearing masks and like the doc in the other thread so far I've only seen one person wearing one correctly.

If when fitted you didn't smell anything they were masks that also had an activated charcoal layer(very similar to military gas masks). They have a finite use as they saturate.

True, but evidence based research has also shown they do mitigate risks for spreading pathogens for both those who are already infected and those who don't want to be. Post op infection is a different setup. I can dig up any number of research that demonstrates this, but I don't want to drag us down the masks topic. Again.

Actually it's the PP3 rated particulate HEPA filters, a type you can find in construction and industrial uses, that are precisely the type required against viruses etc. Specifically medical versions are pretty much identical(though some run a further UV sterilisation stage). Funny enough they're not much use at stopping the spread of infection from an already infected person wearing one as the exhaled air is unfiltered.

All fair comment! Maybe I didnt mention it but we were given a supply of the filters. I agree post-op infection reduction and this is not like for like. I was really just giving an example of where people misunderstand the use of when or where disposable masks are worn and that their recommended use changes.
    Yup again your last point is spot on but how many people would be aware of the detail, ratings, mechanism of action and so on - disposable masks mainly have benefit in reducing spread of infection in those already infected but I doubt there is widespread awareness of that. In an ideal world this would be par for the course and there would be sufficient knowledge and supply. The reality is that people have been buying disposable masks that are not fit for the purpose they bought them for. One pharmacy in Newry was selling individual disposable masks from a despenser box of 300 at £4.50 per mask and they were the really cheap type for even NHS. This is one example of where my concern lies.

Talisman wrote: »
    Here's a recording of a Zoom call from a doctor in New York to his family and friends explaining how to protect themselves. Contains some good advice.

https://vimeo.com/399733860?ref=em-share
    I watched that the other day and he does give good advice, though some of his advice is IMHO dubious. EG if someone comes down with what might be a cold in a family then after a few days if it goes away it probably was and go on as normal. Covid comes in many forms symptomatically and it can present in some like a mild cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

it then eaten by a Wuhanese male farmer ! Thats what i heard, not gospel though

I don't think they ever tracked down patient zero (the index case).

The medical workers who treated the first viral pneumonia cases associated with the wet market did not wear PPEs and suffered the consequences, with some paying with their lives. They did not know how dangerous the virus was at that stage.

That also happened to those treating the first cases who had no contact with the wet market, including the unfortunate whistleblower. He treated a patient with Glaucoma who went on to have a temperature the next day, and was later found to have Covid-19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

So businesses and factories get to decide if they are essential!!!... Absolute cop out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

A lad on BBC said once you get it your then immune to getting it again. How does he know? He's a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

893bet wrote: »
    I think we work for the same company lol

Judging by the WhatsApp groups, the mood of the staff is not good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Carbon125 wrote: »
    This is simply untrue.

It is the only logical explanation why Germany is experiencing such a small number of total deaths compared to other European countries. Most countries bordering Germany arre the hardest hit in Europe, there is no reason why the effects would be so much less across Germany

Fair enough if it was simply a much smaller proprtional death rate there, that could be exmplained easily by the amount of testing they are doing. But no, it is the total number of deaths, which is just so much smaller than the rest of Europe, it is unexplainable. Germany has the 2nd oldest population in europe and the third oldest in the world

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement