Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

The staff are revolting :D
    c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Judging by the WhatsApp groups, the mood of the staff is not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Parks to remain open according to that press conference a few minutes ago.

Was last night a complete joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

What time are the Irish statistics released at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

is_that_so wrote: »
    And in the US Trump looks like delivering again - a quarantine

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52079121

May as well do something but fairly sure it's too late for a quarantine of New York.

This is shutting the horse after the stable door has bolted.

Can't see how every major city is not going to be New York within days.

It's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

294 new cases
    14 more deaths

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Parks to remain open according to that press conference a few minutes ago.

Was last night a complete joke?

My local councIl sent a text last night to say local pedestrian access to parks only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

smurf492 wrote: »
    So businesses and factories get to decide if they are essential!!!... Absolute cop out

Yep, looks like a self-declaration type setup

God but people are just arseholes. Bunch of selfish pricks beside where I live fishing, 2 cars just gone down in the last few minutes, multiple people in the car and now having a chat in the car park. It's amazing how many people think rules don't apply to them

Is fishing banned??

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I originally asked this question and asked if it was down to simply having more beds available. They have a lot of beds but there has to be more to it than that. People harp on about Mekerl , Hitler etc etc. The Germans are efficient smart and conscientious people.

Whatever they're doing right , we could do worse that immitating them step for step!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

294 new cases
    14 more deaths

here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

294 new cases
    14 more deaths

HSE update just now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

dougm1970 wrote: »
    here ?

Yes
    13% increase

Deaths is again a worry

That's a lot of deaths, surely related to the nursing homes. RIP to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,379 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

14 new deaths and 294 new cases in the Republic today.

While I feel greatly for the bereaved families, these are very positive figures in the overall War on the virus, I really think we can kept the genie in the bottle to a large extent.

Keep going everyone, we will return to our normal lives all the sooner with this immense community effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Talisman wrote: »
    Here's a recording of a Zoom call from a doctor in New York to his family and friends explaining how to protect themselves. Contains some good advice.

https://vimeo.com/399733860?ref=em-share

The idea of wearing masks to break the link between the face and the hands is really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

FVP3 wrote: »

All Europeans who suppose the Orange man are clearly deranged. Europe needs to leave NATO ( who also done nothing although MASH hospitals, medics, and sterilising equipment exist in the US barracks) and ally with our new friends in China.

The Chinese Communist Party are not our friends. They're red ethno-nationalists who who just before the new year were mounting a propoganda campaign in the west that their network of concentration camps were trade schools.

If you're impressed by a few consignments of masks and gowns (that we'll be paying for remember) after the sh*tstorm they brought on the world, you're easily bought and impressed indeed.

It's really fascinating how some people are so succeptible to propaganda.

And also, FYI, Confucianism isn't a system of government, it's a set of cultural rites and frameworks for society and above all, ethical teachings. It was actually out of favour since the revolution, and has been recently superficially recussitated for nationailist purposes. Mainland China is probably the least Confucian (if that word even makes sense in the 21st century) of the Sino influenced East Asian states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

wakka12 wrote: »
    It is the only logical explanation why Germany is experiencing such a small number of total deaths compared to other European countries. Most countries bordering Germany arre the hardest hit in Europe, there is no reason why the effects would be so much less across Germany

Fair enough if it was simply a much smaller proprtional death rate there, that could be exmplained easily by the amount of testing they are doing. But no, it is the total number of deaths, which is just so much smaller than the rest of Europe, it is unexplainable. Germany has the 2nd oldest population in europe and the third oldest in the world

You are wrong. Example of the description of the first two coronavirus victims in Germany (excerpts, Google Translate):

"A 78-year-old from Gangelt in the Heinsberg district of North Rhine-Westphalia is one of the first two dead from the corona virus in Germany. This was announced by district administrator Stephan Pusch. The man had reported symptoms at the Geilenkirchen hospital on Friday and had died of heart failure at 2 p.m. on Monday."

"The second death in Germany is an 89-year-old woman from Essen. According to a spokeswoman for the city, she had died of pneumonia as a result of the infection at 12:44 p.m."

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/coronavirus-in-heinsberg-verstorbener-78-jaehriger-besuchte-karnevalssitzung-a-2d3f6750-413f-41a5-8ea9-1ce796baae33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ireland now has the 16th highest number of COVID deaths per capita in the world. If you exclude microstates with populations under 50k then it is 13th in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

smurf492 wrote: »
    So businesses and factories get to decide if they are essential!!!... Absolute cop out

It is. Lots of political arm twisting involved I'm sure from the big ones. Shocking decision.

• Advertisement

It is the only logical explanation why Germany is experiencing such a small number of total deaths compared to other European countries. Most countries bordering Germany arre the hardest hit in Europe, there is no reason why the effects would be so much less across Germany

The is another, more logical explanation..initially Germany was excellent at conducting testing and contact tracing, meaning they were catching mild cases and early cases before people got seriously ill. As they have gone on the death rate has risen day on day as people who were detected early have gotten worse and died. Resources will now be focused more on treatment that testing so would imagine death rate will continue to climb. Looking at the data I would say true death rate will be about 1% in places were health system holds up, and maybe 2-4% where it breaks down. Italy currently at close to 10%, but that tells me they have a huge number of undetected infections, probably closer to 300,000

I only base my estimates on a bit of guess work looking at the data. We will only know the true figure after this is done we know what proportion got the virus and the final death toll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

Is fishing banned??

Yes, I believe so.
    Unless you're catching a Jaws style fish and you're getting considerable exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It is. Lots of political arm twisting involved I'm sure from the big ones. Shocking decision.

What extra businesses etc are actually closing as of today. It seems like hardly any.

Ireland now has the 13th highest number of COVID deaths per capita in the world
    I think that is related to the fact that, unfortunately, we've had quite a large hospital/nursing home outbreak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Yes, I believe so.
    Unless you're catching a Jaws style fish and you're getting considerable exercise.
    Why do you believe so?

Food outlets are designated essential services. It just said so on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

ICU numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaybackPayroll

s1ippy wrote: »
    Why do you believe so?

Food outlets are designated essential services. It just said so on the news.

I didn't think of that angle - getting food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I originally asked this question and asked if it was down to simply having more beds available. They have a lot of beds but there has to be more to it than that. People harp on about Mekerl , Hitler etc etc. The Germans are efficient smart and conscientious people.

Whatever they're doing right , we could do worse that immitating them step for step!
    Germany are doing community testing like we are.

Spain Italy Belgium Netherlands and the UK are only testing people in the hospitals. Their numbers in terms of cases are a lot more accurate than many other countries.

I do know that there is bookkeeping differences but I don't know if that's universal. It's definitely happened that people have with covid 19 have died of pneumonia or heart attacks or something else and not been included in the statistics.

I know of 6 cases I've read about in the German media but it could be universal.

There have been suggestions in German media that a major killer is secondary infections from pneumonia is a major killer and that the incidence of the pneumonia vaccine in Germany is higher than the rest of Europe.

Hmmm, some craic trying to police this 2km brief exercise only ruling with the clocks going forward tonight, plus the weather due to remain fine well into next week. The weather really needs to be as miserable as f**k in the next while in all fairness to help with any restrictions on going out.

• Advertisement

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    ICU numbers?
    67 until Thursday midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

ICU numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Yes
    13% increase

Deaths is again a worry

Condolences to all the mourning families.

Unfortunately the deaths are probably the most reliable index of where we are on the infection curve.

No one knows how many positive tests were incinerated when the backlog was cleared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

ICU numbers?

67 as of Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Is there any press briefing ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ICU numbers?

67 in ICU as of midnight Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 smallfryy

Why are there so many deaths all of a sudden? Is it because hospitals are so busy? Or are we just starting to see the impact now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Most of these new death spikes are because it has infiltrated nursing homes, and when these patients present to hospital they are not offered ICU care or ventilators.

The ICU admission criteria for Ireland is very strict unlike other parts of the world.

Unfortunately they already draw an arbitrary line across people with co-morbidities, this will be further accentuated now due to ventilator supply being very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

That's awful. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

294 new cases
    14 more deaths

HSE update just now

Getting away from them now. Predictable given our one step behind the virus policies over the last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

smallfryy wrote: »
    Why are there so many deaths all of a sudden? Is it because hospitals are so busy? Or are we just starting to see the impact now?

Unfortunately I think this is due to the clusters they are referring to hitting the nursing homes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

smallfryy wrote: »

Going by the median age, I was assuming it is still deaths associated with the nursing home outbreaks. I could be really wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

294 new cases and 14 deaths medium age 81. RTE NEWS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭893bet

Most of these new death spikes are because it has infiltrated nursing homes, and when these patients present to hospital they are not offered ICU care or ventilators.

The ICU admission criteria for Ireland is very strict unlike other parts of the world.

Unfortunately they already draw an arbitrary line across people with co-morbidities, this will be further accentuated now due to ventilator supply being very low.

Where is this detailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smallfryy

So what happens? They're not helped breathe? Do we not even try save them? I can't even imagine any doctor that wouldn't try surely?

*edit* just to add I wasnt aware it was so bad in a nursing home. How very sad, poor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Feels like its starting to get out of hand.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Getting away from them now. Predictable given our one step behind the virus policies over the last month.

You have literally no idea if this is true. You are definitely one of the worst offenders on here for trying to find the absolute worst in everything that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Bruce Aylward (WHO) dodging questions regarding Taiwan:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1243865641448169474

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP to the 14 people who passed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Wibbs wrote: »
    Their society was hierarchical and for far longer. It's why they had brief periods of incredible innovation followed by stagnation. In simple terms, there was no point in coming up with a better mousetrap if you're a pottery maker. You'd be ignored for the most part. Social movement was extremely regimented. Your example of the examinations a good example of that. You mentioned Confucianism, but left out Taoism. That had a huge impact and stymied innovation. Centralised, insular, inward looking and stagnated by monumental bureaucracy. Take printing. They(and the Koreans) came up with it and did little enough with it. It comes to Europe and it changed human civilisation within the span of a human lifetime. Take gunpowder. Ditto. If you took a Chinese peasant from the tenth century and transported him to eighteenth century China he'd see few differences, if you did the same with a European peasant his head would spin.

So nah overall, I think I'll still take Western culture and politics and philosophies over the Chinese empire's ta very much. Hell, in many ways they themselves do. If you removed western tech and surface culture from modern China, you'd have a very different looking country indeed. And they're pretty good at the oul capitalism, though pretty crap at democracy.

China was legitamitely way ahead of Europe for a huge part of the history of human civilization. Look at the Mongols, who were the only real far reaching imperialist empire within the Chinese sphere of influence. They steamrolled Eastern Europe in a matter of months with a mere scouting mission, while it took them generations to topple Song China, which was considered a particularly insular and non progressive Chinese Empire. China's lack of international ambition cost them in the early age of globalisation and they had a very bad century and a half of humiliation, colonisation and terrible leadership. Its unfair to look at that brief period and judge their overall culture. They are moving much faster than us in Western Europe now, their major cities could well have a higher standard of living than us in a decade or two.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement