Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

294 new cases and 14 deaths medium age 81. RTE NEWS

Ok, sounds like it is the nursing homes again. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Why are we getting the ICU numbers of 67 up until Thursday night when we were told its 71 last night? Pointless to give an old number I would have thought. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Yurt! wrote: »
    The Chinese Communist Party are not our friends. They're red ethno-nationalists who who just before the new year were mounting a propoganda campaign in the west that their network of concentration camps were trade schools.

If you're impressed by a few consignments of masks and gowns (that we'll be paying for remember) after the sh*tstorm they brought on the world, you're easily bought and impressed indeed.

It's really fascinating how some people are so succeptible to propaganda.

And also, FYI, Confucianism isn't a system of government, it's a set of cultural rites and frameworks for society and above all, ethical teachings. It was actually out of favour since the revolution, and has been recently superficially recussitated for nationailist purposes. Mainland China is probably the least Confucian (if that word even makes sense in the 21st century) of the Sino influenced East Asian states.

Yurt! You are spot in with this post. China is a polluted authoritarian dystopian runescape and we should be distancing ourselves from it. By trading with China we are tolerating one of the most brutal regimes in the world. I worked in China for many years and am married to a Taiwanese woman. I shudder when I see people praising China for it's response. Their intransparent and corrupt dictatorship tried to cover up this mess and it their system of values which landed us here. We should absolutely throw the bucket at them when this is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Most of these new death spikes are because it has infiltrated nursing homes, and when these patients present to hospital they are not offered ICU care or ventilators.

The ICU admission criteria for Ireland is very strict unlike other parts of the world.

Unfortunately they already draw an arbitrary line across people with co-morbidities, this will be further accentuated now due to ventilator supply being very low.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

smallfryy wrote: »
    So what happens? They're not helped breathe? Do we not even try save them? I can't even imagine any doctor that wouldn't try surely?

*edit* just to add I wasnt aware it was so bad in a nursing home. How very sad, poor things.

This would only happen with the consent of the next of kin as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Talisman wrote: »
    Bruce Aylward (WHO) dodging questions regarding Taiwan:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1243865641448169474

Taiwan is China, according to China and WHO do what China tells them to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Nursing home staff should be working in hazmat suits. If one staff member had covid19 it could be fatal to a large number of patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

67 until Thursday midnight.

Don't we already know it was 71 as of yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1243964331622117376?s=19

For anyone asking about ICU figures. They are the number since the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

67 as of Thursday.

Is 67 the number currently in ICU or a total of all treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

This must be a terrifying time for families who have people in nursing homes. A lot of clusters in these institutions. The mean age of those who passed away today [RIP] is 81 so these must be all from nursing homes.
    The virus is obviously there so not sure if anything drastic can be done to cull the numbers rising even more there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

awec wrote: »
    You have literally no idea if this is true. You are definitely one of the worst offenders on here for trying to find the absolute worst in everything that happens.

Nope I'm a completely realistic poster have been since day one and like I've always said I had hoped I was wrong about everything.

As a matter of curiosity how do you think we've handled the situation since day one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Why are we getting the ICU numbers of 67 up until Thursday night when we were told its 71 last night? Pointless to give an old number I would have thought. :confused:

You might have heard 71 somewhere but the official release said 59 as of midnight wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    As always depends on the source of such numbers. Our rate of increase seems to be down to about 14%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

So what happens? They're not helped breathe? Do we not even try save them? I can't even imagine any doctor that wouldn't try surely?

*edit* just to add I wasnt aware it was so bad in a nursing home. How very sad, poor things.
    Look at the post earlier that links video and audio from doctors in Madrid. They're wentilating those who they think stand a chance. Those that don't ( the elderly) are let die

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

wakka12 wrote: »
    Ireland now has the 16th highest number of COVID deaths per capita in the world. If you exclude microstates with populations under 50k then it is 13th in the world

Ah but sure didn't you hear Leo quoted the Terminator in his speech? He is so amazing for calling the lockdown even though we are one of the last counties in Europe to call the lockdown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭jackboy

So would it be ok to attend a medical for a new job?

I think that is related to the fact that, unfortunately, we've had quite a large hospital/nursing home outbreak.

That is no excuse, most counties have had hospital/nursing home outbreaks anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

snotboogie wrote: »
    China was legitamitely way ahead of Europe for a huge part of the history of human civilization. Look at the Mongols, who were the only real far reaching imperialist empire within the Chinese sphere of influence. They steamrolled Eastern Europe in a matter of months with a mere scouting mission, while it took them generations to topple Song China, which was considered a particularly insular and non progressive Chinese Empire. China's lack of international ambition cost them in the early age of globalisation and they had a very bad century and a half of humiliation, colonisation and terrible leadership. Its unfair to look at that brief period and judge their overall culture. .

Historically speaking no. There have been cycles of development were China as in sync with Europe and other times it lagged behind. However it is the Chinese people's ill luck that in this era to have a friable authoritarian government with a veneer of one of the most ill-starred ideologies communism. To believe that mainline China has this virus under control or is acting honestly within this current crisis is not creditable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

is_that_so wrote: »
    As always depends on the source of such numbers. Our rate of increase seems to be down to about 14%.

Which is about half as slow as Italy and Spain experienced at the same stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Getting away from them now. Predictable given our one step behind the virus policies over the last month.

Rate of new cases lower, yet again, than yesterday. What do you base the scaremongering on? Deaths are up but that has been expected with the care home clusters.

I think some people just love painting as dark a picture as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Don't we already know it was 71 as of yesterday?

70 as of today according to rte news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Ah but sure didn't you hear Leo quoted the Terminator in his speech? He is so amazing for calling the lockdown even though we are one of the last counties in Europe to call the lockdown...

“RugbyLad”...... say no more

jackboy wrote: »
    Check with the new employer I'd say to see what's happening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whilst every new case is worrying and every new death is incredibly sad and distressing for everyone involved, the case numbers presented again today, in the context of comparing Ireland with other countries, is another very encouraging sign of the excellent and underappreciated work being done in this country to contain this outbreak. Down to 13% increase today, and the further measures announced last night are another step in the right direction to a further reduction in cases.

To put it into context from when the initial measures were announced, there was a forecast by the Taoiseach of 30% increases to get to 15k by the end of the month. Were the 30% forecast to be accurate today, we would be looking at 636 cases announced today, and that neglects the compound growth that would have seen far higher cases reported up to today.

For reference (I hope my sums are right), when Varadkar announced the forecast of 15k on March 16, by yesterday we would have had 3,996 cases and by today 5,195. Which would have seen 1199 extra cases today. We are doing much better than some of our neighbours

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not only in nursing homes. In nursing homes they don't even get tested. Due to the shortages of ICU beds and machines and staff, in Spain and Italy health workers have reported either elderly/frail people not getting the ventilators AT ALL and getting sedated instead; or if it had been given to them in the first place and someone younger was admitted needing it, the elderly patients would be removed from their ventilator so that it could be
    given to the younger patient.

That's why people have been talking about genocide.

Why are there so many deaths all of a sudden? Is it because hospitals are so busy? Or are we just starting to see the impact now?

Because the virus doesn't kill people instantly, it takes a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

In irish hospitals, I know we have ICU but do we also have high dependency wards ? Or any type of ward that is a step down from ICU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭jackboy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Check with the new employer I'd say to see what's happening.

Medicals are generally outsourced now by most of the big companies so they would have no input.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    China was legitamitely way ahead of Europe for a huge part of the history of human civilization. Look at the Mongols, who were the only real far reaching imperialist empire within the Chinese sphere of influence. They steamrolled Eastern Europe in a matter of months with a mere scouting mission, while it took them generations to topple Song China, which was considered a particularly insular and non progressive Chinese Empire. China's lack of international ambition cost them in the early age of globalisation and they had a very bad century and a half of humiliation, colonisation and terrible leadership. Its unfair to look at that brief period and judge their overall culture. They are moving much faster than us in Western Europe now, their major cities could well have a higher standard of living than us in a decade or two.

Would you like to live in a major Chinese City under the Communist Party dictatorship? I can assure you. You wouldn't. I actually believe the Party is on the verge of self-implosion. Their only source of legitimacy, economic growth, is eroding fast. Also, the myth of the Chinese century is just that. China's economic miracle is anything but. The party claim to have taken 1 billion people out of poverty but let's not forget the exacerbated poverty in the first place.

The Chinese State is corrupt to the core and is only delivering wealth to a select few of the Chinese population. I recommend the book "The perfect dictatorship" by Stein Ringen. He maintains that China's growth and is just "Big" rather than great. The sheer scale of the growth is impressive simply because China has a huge population. He argues that the productivity and quality of Chinese growth is extremely limited and only 30% of the population in China is actually doing well under the communists. Once the growth stops flowing which could happen now even faster due to the Wuhan Coronavirus and the party can't deliver houses to its princesses in London and Vancouver the regime will collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Pretty much everything then.....?

Not when you go into them individually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

That is no excuse, most counties have had hospital/nursing home outbreaks anyway

Nursing homes were always going to be the weak link with cocooning.

I presume the HSE had a significant plan for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

jackboy wrote: »
    Medical appointments permitted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

14 more dead. Wow.

Scary stuff.

Ffs should we have locked down earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

I can hear kids playing outside :rolleyes:

paul71 wrote: »
    Which is about half as slow as Italy and Spain experienced at the same stage.
    Yeah, a positive of sorts for those of us looking on but little comfort for people affected by it and for families of those who have passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Because the virus doesn't kill people instantly, it takes a few weeks

I would also think because the virus got into nursing homes with old people with underlying conditions I’d imagine they would fall ill very quickly.
    Some may rather pass away as opposed to take interventions and struggle through and possibly be in pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

45,000 new cases diagnosed worldwide since I looked at the tracking app this morning around 10.00 a.m. that’s terrifying....

virusncov.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can hear kids playing outside :rolleyes:

The new naughty step!!

theballz wrote: »
    “RugbyLad”...... say no more

What is your point? Everyone was talking about the UK but they called the lockdown well before us

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    In irish hospitals, I know we have ICU but do we also have high dependency wards ? Or any type of ward that is a step down from ICU.

Yes we have both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

14 more dead. Wow.

Scary stuff.

Given most of the deaths appear to have been in nursing homes, what difference would it have made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

In Italy they put the very elderly on ventilators for 12 and more days and there they lay suffering and they all died in the end, alone without any comfort.

Manach wrote: »
    Historically speaking no. There have been cycles of development were China as in sync with Europe and other times it lagged behind. However it is the Chinese people's ill luck that in this era to have a friable authoritarian government with a veneer of one of the most ill-starred ideologies communism. To believe that mainline China has this virus under control or is acting honestly within this current crisis is not creditable.

Nail, hammer, head.

• Advertisement

What extra businesses etc are actually closing as of today. It seems like hardly any.

Places like woodies were open yesterday, their closed from last night.

The one in Navan was full enough last week when a friend was out fixing some of their I.T. hardware. Mainly folks 50+ buying gardening stuff.

Our local builders providers are closed except for plumbing supplies etc and even then you can't rock up, you have to order by phone/email

14 more dead. Wow.

Scary stuff.

The median age of the new deaths suggests it's probably one or more nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

You might have heard 71 somewhere but the official release said 59 as of midnight wednesday.

The official ICU figure is from midnight the day before and was 59 at midnight Wed night which was released in Fridays figures.Todays figure of 67 is at midnight Thursday night.

However the CMO used a figure of 71 at his press conference last night.He obviously is privy to a more up to date figure than that used in the official release.

This would indicate that 4 more ICU admissions had occurred from the figure of 67 at midnight Thursday to the time the CMO got an updated figure of 71 yesterday.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1243964331622117376?s=19

For anyone asking about ICU figures. They are the number since the start

They are going to look at how they present the ICU stats going forward to avoid confusion. The numbers currently in ICU need to be highlighted. Pointless giving the number admitted since the start. Means nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Germany are doing community testing like we are.

Spain Italy Belgium Netherlands and the UK are only testing people in the hospitals. Their numbers in terms of cases are a lot more accurate than many other countries.

I do know that there is bookkeeping differences but I don't know if that's universal. It's definitely happened that people have with covid 19 have died of pneumonia or heart attacks or something else and not been included in the statistics.

I know of 6 cases I've read about in the German media but it could be universal.

There have been suggestions in German media that a major killer is secondary infections from pneumonia is a major killer and that the incidence of the pneumonia vaccine in Germany is higher than the rest of Europe.

The vaccine only works against bacterial pneumonia, not viral pneumonia, and certainly not COVID-19 related pneumonia.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement