Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

I can hear kids playing outside :rolleyes:

Have you tried turning up the TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

wakka12 wrote: »
    It is the only logical explanation why Germany is experiencing such a small number of total deaths compared to other European countries. Most countries bordering Germany arre the hardest hit in Europe, there is no reason why the effects would be so much less across Germany

Fair enough if it was simply a much smaller proprtional death rate there, that could be exmplained easily by the amount of testing they are doing. But no, it is the total number of deaths, which is just so much smaller than the rest of Europe, it is unexplainable. Germany has the 2nd oldest population in europe and the third oldest in the world

It is totally made up bollocks which reverberates around this thread like an echo chamber.

When I asked for a link, the link debunked the claim.

As for why Germany is experiencing lower death rates there are many explanations: because it hasn't been overwhelmed yet, because it spread amongst younger people. And so on.

Deaths are increasing there, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Given most of the deaths appear to have been in nursing homes, what difference would it have made?
    It may not have gotten into the nursing home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Getting away from them now. Predictable given our one step behind the virus policies over the last month.

Your grammar is atrocious. You could have said

" Getting away from us now. Predictable given our one step behind the virus policies over the last month. "

or

"Getting away from them now. Predictable given their one step etc etc"

I respect that you have been hell bent on stirring up shight on this forum. But at least get it right.

Whose side are you actually on. Ours or theirs? Simple question.

RIP to all victims.

I can hear kids playing outside :rolleyes:

Are they in their own garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Monitor1985

294 was the number of confirmed cases as of 1.p.m today, do they have a set time each day that they cut off counting? Or does that time change daily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    In irish hospitals, I know we have ICU but do we also have high dependency wards ? Or any type of ward that is a step down from ICU.
    Critical care beds encompass both ICU and HDU beds. In ordinary times, HDU patients would be patients on infusions to maintain a stable blood pressure, high-flow oxygen, BiPAP/CPAP (Machines that helps to push in oxygen and to remove carbon dioxide respectively with each patient breath), and to monitor general patients and post-operative patients who require close monitoring due to risk of deterioration. ICU will include patients who require some form of organ support, such as a ventilator, dialysis machine, or very high-doses of medicine to maintain blood pressure. (Obviously, this is not a fully comprehensive list). In these times, the capabilities of the HDU has increased, depending on the hospital, and may be able to ventilate and provide dialysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Very sad to here of so many deaths. New cases are stable enough which I a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They did express concern about nursing homes so it probably had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The sad truth is that they were most likely to have been infected by a member of staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Are off licences closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Nursing home staff should be working in hazmat suits. If one staff member had covid19 it could be fatal to a large number of patients.

That's just not possible. Its a home not a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭boardise

Which New York is going to pay for.

Just send the tab to Wall St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

67 admitted to ICU gives me considerable hope.
    Based on the trend from the previous 7 days, the least worst - worst case scenario predicted 73 -93 for today's announcement of the Thursday midnight figures.
    To come in under that 73 is promising.

Mc4LV8y.png

The 3 day moving average for ICU admission increases is now showing less variability than earlier in the week and the last 3 values are 24%, 18% and 20%
    I've recalculated the least worst - worst case scenarios.
    The least worst case now has us crossing 250 ICU admissions on April 3rd (previously 1st) and 500 on April 7th (previously 4th)

ZNQAo52.png

We've bought ourselves a few more valuable days by our adherence to the previous round of restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Are off licences closed?

no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The sad truth is that they were most likely to have been infected by a member of staff.
    I think there was one mentioned where a medical professional had tested positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The official ICU figure is from midnight the day before and was 59 at midnight Wed night which was released in Fridays figures.Todays figure of 67 is at midnight Thursday night.

However the CMO used a figure of 71 at his press conference last night.He obviously is privy to a more up to date figure than that used in the official release.

This would indicate that 4 more ICU admissions had occurred from the figure of 67 at midnight Thursday to the time the CMO got an updated figure of 71 yesterday.
    but you have to reckon most of the deaths occurred in ICU beds so its a lot more new people needing ICU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Rate of new cases lower, yet again, than yesterday. What do you base the scaremongering on? Deaths are up but that has been expected with the care home clusters.

I think some people just love painting as dark a picture as possible.

When your only interest in this really is in painting the current governmental administration in a very bad light in the vain hope that the administration you PREFER will benefit from that, then it’s essential to keep pushing the message that they’re doing everything wrong wrong wrong.
    Never let up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Nursing home staff should be working in hazmat suits. If one staff member had covid19 it could be fatal to a large number of patients.

It’s happened already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

AN EXCELLENT SUMMARY ON THE CORONAVIRUS.*
    From an Asst. Prof. in Infectious Diseases at Johns Hopkins University.
    It is quite informative,
    and is an excellent summary as to how to avoid the contagion, and it is very clear and easy to follow.
    *The virus is not a living organism,* but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat) which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes its genetic code (mutation) and converts into aggressor and multiplier cells.
    *Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed,* but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.
    *The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat.
    That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much, for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam)
    By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
    *HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes and everything.
    In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
    *Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.
    *Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, and breaks it down from the inside.
    *Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.
    *NO BACTERICIDE SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; *you cannot kill what is not alive with antibiotics.*
    *NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth.
    While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous) 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic) and wood (because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off)
    24 hours (cardboard) 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic)
    But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.
    *The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial cold such as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and also darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
    *UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein.
    For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask, UV LIGHT is perfect. But be careful, because it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.
    *The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
    *Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
    *NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serves.
    The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
    *LISTERINE SERVES. It is 65% alcohol.
    *The more confined the space, the more the concentration of the virus will be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
    N.B. In addition to the above, you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc.
    And when using the bathroom,
    you have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing of them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.
    *Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide below them.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

darced wrote: »
    That's just not possible. Its a home not a hospital.

Look what happened in Spain where nurses and care staff contacted the virus in a nursing home and couldn’t come to work and the homes were left deserted. The army found elderly dead in their beds. The care staff definitely need some form of protection against this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I think if any valid critisism can be aimed at the govt response it's not locking down the nursing homes earlier. As far as I know that lesson was already learned from Italy.
    So now the residents of those nursing homes with covid19 are likely going to be wiped out.

Also, despite what some think, the ICU beds are not at capacity yet and it's not like they are keeping them empty for more deserving cases. Not yet anyway.

What the fuuuucks is this bulll****e of releasing ICU figures from when the crisis began and not what the current situation is on each given day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The idea of wearing masks to break the link between the face and the hands is really good.

Yeah, but the fact is people don't know how to use them safely. I saw a news report from Italy during the week with a priest coming out of a hospital with a bible in one hand and wearing a mask and gloves. He was removing the mask as he was walking, while still wearing the gloves and putting his hands all over his face to take the mask off.

I don't think the mask did him any good in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

splinter65 wrote: »
    In Italy they put the very elderly on ventilators for 12 and more days and there they lay suffering and they all died in the end, alone without any comfort.
    :(

How can people continue to ignore the begging for social distancing, to insist it's an over reaction and to blather on about how it's making it worse (they're right ya see, not the WHO) and to shoe-horn in their own political agendas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Gonna be interesting to see how many factories try to bend the rules to stay open especially when it seems to be self regulated you basically deem yourself essential by your own interpretation of the list and issue your employees with a letter. For eg. I wouldn't imagine a window manufacturer or a Boat builder would be essential but you could make the list suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

This virus was always going to get here. There is now not a single country in the World without it, the entire point of a lockdown is to time it to have a real effect. Pointless doing it earlier because people would have a tendency to ignore (as some fools still want to) thus make it ineffective.

Time it to late and you get an overwhelmed health service ala Italy and Spain.

Judging on the rate of increase we seem to have our timing correct, giving our health service some chance of control. We are still however 10 to 14 months from a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Neighbours near me had visitors all day, including children. Cluster waiting to happen. 3 cars currently. They won’t change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Roger_007 wrote: »
    AN EXCELLENT SUMMARY ON THE CORONAVIRUS.*
    …………...
    *Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
    *NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serves.
    The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
    *LISTERINE SERVES. It is 65% alcohol.

That bit is clearly untrue, Listerine is not 65% alcohol.
    So there's a good chance the rest is bollox as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Nope I'm a completely realistic poster have been since day one and like I've always said I had hoped I was wrong about everything.

Yeah but didn't you also have a tantrum, get in a strop and get subsequently banned?

Saying, "It's getting away from them" is not being realistic because of the number of deaths in one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

joeysoap wrote: »
    Easter Europeans near me had visitors all day, including children. Cluster waiting to happen. 3 cars currently. They won’t change.

Call the Gardaí.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did they ever clarify if the ICU figures are current or cumulative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    That is no excuse, most counties have had hospital/nursing home outbreaks anyway

It's been reported that Italy's nursing home deaths are going uncounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,005 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tough choices are made every day in hospitals around the country well before this CV outbreak. In a lot of cases if the patient has little quality of life at admission, and treatment will not improve that, the patient will be sedated, be under palliative care and will slip away. I know this for a fact, you can choose whether to believe me or not.

Also nursing homes ask Next of Kin (where resident is not compos mentis) whether family would like resident to be moved to hospital for treatment or to be resuscitated etc. in the event of serious illness a DNR if you like. I know this too.

That was my mother, god rest her. She had a very peaceful passing at a great age with no beeping interventions and tubes and the like. Bless her, and all those that have passed during this outbreak. You can be assured that they will not have been in distress.

Plenty of younger people involved in car accidents and other traumas are also removed from Life support i.e. ventilators too. It is no way genocide, it is the right thing to do in a lot of cases, and has been going on since ventilators were invented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

A quarantine like no one has ever seen before.

A beautiful quarantine 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Look what happened in Spain where nurses and care staff contacted the virus in a nursing home and couldn’t come to work and the homes were left deserted. The army found elderly dead in their beds. The care staff definitely need some form of protection against this virus.

I know and your right but I worked in one for years, its just not possible. The sight of staff in Hazmat suits would finish them quick. These places are full of people with severe dementia, imagine their reaction, its impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

IAMAMORON wrote: »

" Getting away from us now. Predictable given our one step behind the virus policies over the last month. "

or

I respect that you have been hell bent on stirring up shight on this forum. But at least get it right.

Grammar nazi - lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Condolences to all the mourning families.

Unfortunately the deaths are probably the most reliable index of where we are on the infection curve.

No one knows how many positive tests were incinerated when the backlog was cleared.

Agreed , deaths and ICU numbers are a better judge of overall rates I would think as we can quantify them. The numbers of people testing positive are not a good indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Little scumbags tried breaking in whilst i was sleeping, fever the past few days finally recovering so the house looked empty, hoping now it is Covid-19 and they die a painful death from it. they have snapped the internal lock on my pvc window. With no way to secure it or bolt it, I can't exactly go out and get a replacement. Nor have An Garda Siochana attended. I'd love to say protect your homes here by whatever means, but you'll be the one imprisoned if you do. Narcolepsy so it not going to be possible to keep my guard up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That bit is clearly untrue, Listerine is not 65% alcohol.
    So there's a good chance the rest is bollox as well.

60% alcohol suffices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

awec wrote: »
    Did they ever clarify if the ICU figures are current or cumulative?
    Cumulative.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1243964331622117376?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

IAMAMORON wrote: »

or

RIP to all victims.

Grammer nazi alert.

I'm a realist but sure aren't you the lad who laughed and ridiculed myself and other posters (now banned what a surprise BTW) who said this would collapse the world economy as well as destroy the health services.

But sure yeah let's just zip by that inconvenience and attack my spelling.

I'm on our side how about yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

60% alcohol suffices.

I'm about that at the moment. Pickled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

regedit wrote: »
    This must be a terrifying time for families who have people in nursing homes. A lot of clusters in these institutions. The mean age of those who passed away today [RIP] is 81 so these must be all from nursing homes.

My 78 year old Dad is in Hollybrook Nursing home. 2 cases in there so we were worried. Managed to get a phone in to him this morning. Thankfully he is in great form and was only worried that we'd be worried about him. Nervy few weeks ahead for sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Un1corn wrote: »
    Once the growth stops flowing which could happen now even faster due to the Wuhan Coronavirus and the party can't deliver houses to its princesses in London and Vancouver the regime will collapse.

Very intresting take on political matters, as if you say growth is not enough to keep the government in power, when do you see the regime collapsing? Next year? 5 years?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So the number of people currently in ICU could be a good bit lower than that figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Strangest photo today

Capture.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

They should present current data.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement