Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

fifth wrote: »
    Where are people getting their masks from? Haven't been able to find any. Or hand sanitiser. Since the start of all of this.

There is lots of recipes online for hand sanitizer spray online,pick one that suits, buying ingredients etc... Also you should be able to find basic masks in any diy hardware or even pound shop..
    Good luck hope you find some.. tight cotton neck scarves seem pretty popular also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

threeball wrote: »
    That wasn't my point. But I don't expect us to keep many of the units made. We will keep some. People in Galway are not going to risk getting coronavirus so the product they make bypasses their granny and goes to trump. If that happens I expect they'll down tools and go home.

Its been posted here that half of the world supply of ventilators are made by Medtronic in Galway and they annoucned that they're increassing production by 50%. They never said that any of them are available to the HSE so next week we're going to see photos of military planes landing in Shannon and Knock picking them up

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I think we need to have some trust. The HSE changed their testing criteria because they could cope with the number of people waiting on test and the positive results they were getting back were less than 10% so they changed the criteria so that they would hopefully get more positive cases from the tests that they were doing.

Never doubt the HSEs ability and engage in a cover up, it is literally their go-to position whenever the sh1t hits the fan. Cervical Check was only the most recent cover up in a long, long line of cover ups. Whats worse is that they spend millions in taxpayers money through the courts in an attempt to cover up the cover up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fine Gael popularity surges to 34% from 21% in a poll in tomorrow's SBP.

Was that taken before or after the lockdown of citizens currently living in Ireland that was announced yesterday (excluding the 5k plus people arriving in the airports per day) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

New phone tracking app coming

EUN6QI8WkAAKnXo?format=jpg&name=900x900
    how about print that is legible

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

There is lots of recipes online for hand sanitizer spray online,pick one that suits, buying ingredients etc... Also you should be able to find basic masks in any diy hardware or even pound shop..
    Good luck hope you find some.. tight cotton neck scarves seem pretty popular also.

I have COPD and I bought about a hundred of them 2 years ago. I use them for everything from strimming the grass to cleaning the oven or clearing out the fire.

Don't know whether they are N5 and don't care. When I wear one I don't smell anything. I don't think they protect me from Covid 19 but they cannot hurt so I wear one.

Sh1te like "It only protects other people from you" makes me despair whether humanity is actually more intelligent than this virus!!

Nevertheless, You cannot wear a mask in Irealnd without some d1ckhead telling you this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Raises two questions-

-Did the HSE change the criteria for getting tested to avoid the 15,000 figure being met, possibly in order to avoid widespread panic?
    -Has the 15,000 figure been met but we just dont know about it?

Theres a good chance we are at 15,000 now but if most wont die from it then it might make some sense for them to have manipulated the figures by reducing testing???

Just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Was that taken before or after the lockdown of citizens currently living in Ireland that was announced yesterday (excluding the 5k plus people arriving in the airports per day) ?

Dunno, it's after the lock down previous anyway.

FG 34%
    SF 28%
    FF 18%

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

givyjoe wrote: »

I am still the only one in my village I've seen wearing a mask -

Feel like a plonker but I'll take my chances - I can live with that.

I just say to myself that every single person of Asian descent in every single news bulletin across the entire world can't be wrong...

...And every single frontline doctor/nurse/medic/worker across the planet.

I bought mine back in January; back then, HomeCare Medical told me that most of their customers were people coming in to buy and send back home to China(couldn't blame them - I guess I'd have done the same) The respirators were also widely available in all of the Hardware stores; FFP2/ FFP3 masks.

They were gone by the end of Jan - in my area anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I would love a fish finger sandwich right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Its been posted here that half of the world supply of ventilators are made by Medtronic in Galway and they annoucned that they're increassing production by 50%. They never said that any of them are available to the HSE .

HSE has stated they've ordered about a thousand Ventilators, and expect to buy about a hundred more a week for the forseeable future.

It is more likely than not that some of those machines are Medtronic Puritan Bennett Ventilators, which cost between 35 and 45 thousand each.

• Advertisement

MipMap wrote: »
    I have COPD and I bought about a hundred of them 2 years ago. I use them for everything from strimming the grass to cleaning the oven or clearing out the fire.

Don't know whether they are N5 and don't care. When I wear one I don't smell anything. I don't think they protect me from Covid 19 but they cannot hurt so I wear one.

Sh1te like "It only protects other people from you" makes me despair whether humanity is actually more intelligent than this virus!!

Nevertheless, You cannot wear a mask in Irealnd without some d1ckhead telling you this.

yep, you wear one out painting and noone bats an eyelid. You enter a packed supermarket wearing one during the most serious and deadly and contagious virus threat in the history of the republic of ireland and suddenly you're getting notions. Though I think in the past week or two people are finally starting to get it - very few wearing masks still though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I just say to myself that every single person of Asian descent in every single news bulletin across the entire world can't be wrong...

I bought mine back in January; back then, HomeCare Medical told me that most of their customers were people coming in to buy and send back home to China(couldn't blame them - I guess I'd have done the same) The respirators were also widely available in all of the Hardware stores; FFP2/ FFP3 masks.

Well it's getting pretty common in Dublin . I went shopping today and wore a mask and saw at least 20 other people with masks on too while I was there. At least half of the staff in SuperValu had masks on too

A group of Chinese Doctors flew into Italy to help them with the Crisis and the first thing they said was "Why are you not Wearing Masks?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

john4321 wrote: »
    Going by previous posts you seem to have a motive so ill leave it there.

Ah I see,youre the sort that sees enemies everywhere.
    Best leave it there then and go back hiding under your duvet.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Absolutely. My husband has been wearing ffp3 respirators in work (construction) when in the vicinity of any colleagues for the last two weeks and has been laughed at and told ‘they don’t work for the virus!’

This is from people who have been trained to use them for protection and have had them readily available to use.

Can people not use their own brains and do some f****n research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

New phone tracking app coming

EUN6QI8WkAAKnXo?format=jpg&name=900x900

Quelle surprise!!!

yep, you wear one out painting and noone bats an eyelid. You get groceries in one during the most serious and deadly virus threat in the history of the republic of ireland and suddenly you're getting notions. Though I think in the past week or two people are finally starting to get it - very few wearing masks still though.

Are you even speaking English.
    Don't have a clue nor care what you are saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Accepted but the complacency argument is a bit lame. "Don't wear a mask cos you might think it protects you cos it doesn't that much. Maybe you are so stupid you won't wash your hands"

Nonsense - Masks are in Short Supply

Read this:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30134-X/fulltext

There's more to it than that - wearing masks when not used to them has been shown to cause people to subconsciously fidget more, especially if they're not correctly fitted, and this can end up making them more likely to touch their face and infect themselves.

There's also the matter of not understanding that they are disposable and need to be replaced regularly or else they become counter productive, as mentioned in the article you quote. The article you quote also states pretty specifically at the beginning that there is no evidence that widespread use of face masks helps anything, before going on to state why they believe what they do despite the lack of any supporting evidence.

The main supporting case for the widespread usage in that article is to de-stigmatise it for people who have symptoms to wear them, as that is the only proven direct benefit. Which may be fair enough, but not if it's outweighed by the extra infections that come from people using them wrong. And this is all in a hypothetical world where there is an unlimited supply and there aren't other things to focus time and resources on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

Only a complete holocaust denier could still follow the idea that masks don't help.
    Masks are in short supply and are needed by the front line staff.
    This has always been the reason why we are told that they are not necessary.

1.4 Billion Chinese are not wrong.
    Japan,Korea, Belgium, Spain, China look at the footage - Are they all idiots?

Did they not hear the advise of the HSE?

"We are not, at this moment, recommending the wearing of masks, as ther is no evidence to suggest that they materially affect the transmission of this virus"

"We are in critical need of PPE equipment for our front line staff, Masks, Gowns ,Gloves "

PLEASE Give me a break!!!

HSE advise is always couched in nuances you should always apply the Caveat Emptor principle and scrutinise the statement
    the important words in this advice is
    “.....We are not at this moment “
    This allows them ample space to change their tune i.e when ample supply is available

There is a rudimentary outline of a plan but no real details so in reality the HSE/CMO/Dept of Health/ politicians in cohort with a largely non questionin/compliant media are all firefighting their way through this and always looking for cover from the WHO and EU disease control unit ( can’t remember the initials)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dunno, it's after the lock down previous anyway.

FG 34%
    SF 28%
    FF 18%

Wow FF

humberklog wrote: »
    I was in SE Asia (mostly Vietnam) for most of Jan/Feb this year. On face masks- the government send you text messages (easily google translated) and while they insisted everyone dealing with the public wears them they warn to the general population/visitors that it's best to wear them but don't get complacent.
    The worry is (to that government) is that face masks lead to complacency and that same message was relayed to me by many people I met. They stop the spread but only if vigilance to general/hand hygiene is adhered to.

Perfect.

That work's for me. Happy to wear my mask and adhere to the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,548 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jeff2 wrote: »

I miss the ability to go to the Burger King and McDonalds drive-thrus on the same trip and eat a mixture of both, that for me is freedom.

Are you even speaking English.
    Don't have a clue nor care what you are saying!

What the hell are you talking about? :confused:

My post was perfectly clear, unlike your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Your should see the looks for wearing this, goggles and gloves :D

1863F_P&$prodImageMedium$

quokula wrote: »
    There's more to it than that - wearing masks when not used to them has been shown to cause people to subconsciously fidget more, especially if they're not correctly fitted, and this can end up making them more likely to touch their face and infect themselves.

There's also the matter of not understanding that they are disposable and need to be replaced regularly or else they become counter productive, as mentioned in the article you quote. The article you quote also states pretty specifically at the beginning that there is no evidence that widespread use of face masks helps anything, before going on to state why they believe what they do despite the lack of any supporting evidence.

The main supporting case for the widespread usage in that article is to de-stigmatise it for people who have symptoms to wear them, as that is the only proven direct benefit. Which may be fair enough, but not if it's outweighed by the extra infections that come from people using them wrong. And this is all in a hypothetical world where there is an unlimited supply and there aren't other things to focus time and resources on.

I have got all this years ago. Furthermore I konw how to wash my hands for 20 seconds without singing "Happy Birthday like Boris Does"

The big issue is the lack of supply. I have 100 masks and I would willingly give them to doctors and nurses on the front line if there was a mechanism to do this.

I would go without food to help them. Just don't lie to me though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Accepted but the complacency argument is a bit lame. "Don't wear a mask cos you might think it protects you cos it doesn't that much. Maybe you are so stupid you won't wash your hands"

Nonsense - Masks are in Short Supply

Read this:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30134-X/fulltext

Nah. The complacency argument the Viet Gov. make is about spreading it. Not catching it.

I didn't read your quoted link as you put no context to it.

You keep wearing your masks MipMap!

Just think of it this way, every single Medical Frontline worker in the country cant be wrong.

Everyone dealing with covid-19 on the frontline wears a mask. Everyone.

For whatever reason they are all wearing them and they are now getting them flown in from China, that's good enough for me!

EUPHOODVAAA3u9e?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

quokula wrote: »

Fidgeting with the mask and touching your face is a habit

Habits can be broken when your awareness of it is heightened

That argument is a fudge

Not wearing the mask properly can be addressed by simple advertising campaign. Trendy hipsters and their beards may not like being told to shave it off though so a clear fashion versus health dilemma will be the next

Just read a post from someone returning from Vietnam where wearing mask is recommend but followed up with regular hand washing message and highlighting the need for constant vigilance and urging people not to become complacent .... this is the message that needs to accompany face mask use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

spookwoman wrote: »
    Your should see the looks for wearing this, goggles and gloves :D

1863F_P&$prodImageMedium$
    and clothes I hope.

humberklog wrote: »
    Nah. The complacency argument the Viet Gov. make is about spreading it. Not catching it.

I didn't read your quoted link as you put no context to it.

Read it again -

"Universal use of face masks could be considered if supplies permit."

Jeff2 wrote: »
    aw jeez yeah, or a sausage sambo. £eck ya for that!

Raises two questions-

-Did the HSE change the criteria for getting tested to avoid the 15,000 figure being met, possibly in order to avoid widespread panic?
    -Has the 15,000 figure been met but we just dont know about it?

Theres a good chance we are at 15,000 now but if most wont die from it then it might make some sense for them to have manipulated the figures by reducing testing???

No the 15000 figure was put out to make sure people listened and panicked(if that's the word you focus on)and the reason we are not at 15000 and doing so well is because we are a good nation of people,and we get slightly scared and we listen when scary 'panicy' forcasts are broadcast by our leader.... Keep the Social Distancing and stay safe everybody.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Read it again -

"Universal use of face masks could be considered if supplies permit."

Hey, don't like you're tone "read it again".

I won't see your next post.

• Advertisement

aw jeez yeah, or a sausage sambo. £eck ya for that!

I have a fridge full of fish fingers and bread but I really need a bag of sugar, peanut butter and I'm running low on Bacardi!

I'm going to call it - Mipmap is a troll.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well it's getting pretty common in Dublin . I went shopping today and wore a mask and saw at least 20 other people with masks on too while I was there. At least half of the staff in SuperValu had masks on too

Brilliant. That's actually reassuring! I feel the more we see it the more acceptable it will be!

It hasn't hit my neck of rural Ireland yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just no.

Thank you for your wonderful contribution. Theres a long line up of HSE cover ups Cervical Check being the most recent with many of them still going through the courts from the 1980s until right now.

So its not exactly strange to wonder is yet another one happening in the presen because they have solid form. Already we are seeing HSE managers claim everything is fine while doctors and nurses plead for PPE on Twitter.

Tip of the iceberg comes to mind.

Argentina has announced it is suffering from a shortage of Viagra as a result of it's lock down
    The quarantine has had one unexpected consequence, according to pharmacists, a shortage of Viagra, after the stock for March sold out early.

“There was an unexpected consumption,” said Marcelo Peretta, head of the Argentine Union of Pharmacists, who blamed the free time at home by the imposed quarantine for the run on the erectile dysfunction drug.

I believe Ireland (or more specifically Cork) is well equipped to be of assistance in that regard.

• Advertisement

I have a fridge full of fish fingers and bread but I really need a bag of sugar, peanut butter and I'm running low on Bacardi!

Does bread, last much longer in the fridge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Great time to have this thought, 3:30am

What happens to all the nuclear reactors if there's nobody around to look after them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Argentina has announced it is suffering from a shortage of Viagra as a result of it's lock down

WTF ....actually WTF. And they are actually the next to strike top records on stats. Just look at world levels in percentages.

/M

Thank you for your wonderful contribution. Theres a long line up of HSE cover ups Cervical Check being the most recent with many of them still going through the courts from the 1980s until right now.

So its not exactly strange to wonder is yet another one happening in the presen because they have solid form. Already we are seeing HSE managers claim everything is fine while doctors and nurses plead for PPE on Twitter.

Tip of the iceberg comes to mind.

yeah I'm familiar with the Cervical Check scandal. Your logic here seems to be something along the lines of "they engaged in coverup before, hence that must be the case this time also" when there is no reason to "raise questions" here at all. All government bodies in every country engage in coverups in case you didn't know.

Your idea that 15,000 positive cases as a milestone would cause a public panic they are trying to avoid is so bizarre and obviously not the case, it's really only something you would see someone on the internet saying.

HSE coverups since the 1980s, really? Perhaps you can lecture us all about these HSE scandals through the 1980s and 1990s, ears wide open, you have the floor. Extra credit: were you even alive in the 1980s or the 1990s for that matter?

Lived in Spain for 20 years. People use to bring Brennan's out and we froze it.
    Not as good as fresh bread but better than the Spanish stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

s1ippy wrote: »
    Great time to have this thought, 3:30am

What happens to all the nuclear reactors if there's nobody around to look after them?

Jaysus, Can't believe this is even a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

You can freeze bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The reason our figures aren't as high as they should be is because of the snail's pace we are testing people at.
    I think we have just about hit 20k tests.

A group of Chinese Doctors flew into Italy to help them with the Crisis and the first thing they said was "Why are you not Wearing Masks?"

Yes.

I remember that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I believe Ireland (or more specifically Cork) is well equipped to be of assistance in that regard.

Wanted to Swap: Viagra for Ventilators. Quantity negotiable.

Contact Irish Embassy

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement