Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

I was out shopping on Friday and saw an odd person wearing Face masks, my initial thought was whoa, but then i copped on and i realised that I've no idea as to any existing conditions that this people may have, there's **** out there, but there's a HUGE amount of decent people doing good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Hard to make sense of what's coming out of the states. Trump has flip flopped on his New York quarantine plan. But at the same time Cuomo has ruled out a sort of "lock down" (hate using those words) for New York because it would "paralyse the financial sector". Those creaming over Cuomo recently might have to put their boners away for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

MipMap wrote: »
    Are you even speaking English.
    Don't have a clue nor care what you are saying!

You need to go back and re-read post #8124

Paleoperson is totally on your side! He/she was agreeing with you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

eagle eye wrote: »
    The reason our figures aren't as high as they should be is because of the snail's pace we are testing people at.
    I think we have just about hit 20k tests.

You are dead right actually we tested 17,992 up to 23/03/2020 so it's about 20K now.

They are now only testing people who have 2 symptoms and also have had contact with someone else who has tested positive.

This makes sense if you are trying to cut down on the rate of transmission as they are doing. It says very little about how widespread the disease is in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

eagle eye wrote: »
    The reason our figures aren't as high as they should be is because of the snail's pace we are testing people at.
    I think we have just about hit 20k tests.
    Is that 20k a guess or have you a source?
    Last count was 17,992 on the 24th. Averaging 1622 tests a day.
    I'd guess we're at least at 25k tests (conservative estimate)
    That's 5175/mil population.
    UK are at 1827/mil
    We're not going at a snail's pace

s1ippy wrote: »
    Great time to have this thought, 3:30am

What happens to all the nuclear reactors if there's nobody around to look after them?

Why would there be no one around to look after them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

You need to go back and re-read post #8124

Paleoperson is totally on your side! He/she was agreeing with you!!!

I was agreeing on one specific post mind, and even then I think he even said in it it doesn't protect him at all wtf. :rolleyes:

They are now only testing people who have 2 symptoms and also have had contact with someone else who has tested positive.

They are testing people with 2 symptoms, you don't need to have had contact with a confirmed cases. Just the 2 symptoms is enough

• Advertisement

Why would there be no one around to look after them?

As far as I know we don't have any nuclear reactors in Ireland.

I have a fridge full of fish fingers and bread but I really need a bag of sugar, peanut butter and I'm running low on Bacardi!

Throw a toilet roll in with Fish fingers and the Bacardi is yours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Homer Y gif in 5......4...3..2.......1....

Wolf359f wrote: »
    They are testing people with 2 symptoms, you don't need to have had contact with a confirmed cases. Just the 2 symptoms is enough

Not going to Google it but I am pretty sure Dr. Tony Holohan said in his press conference a few days ago that they were testing people with 2 symptoms and who had had contact with a confirmed case.

Could be wrong but it does not matter - we are testing all we can test. Finding as many positives as we can and isolating them.

Our health professionals and out Government are doing their best. I don't doubt this.

No the 15000 figure was put out to make sure people listened and panicked(if that's the word you focus on)and the reason we are not at 15000 and doing so well is because we are a good nation of people,and we get slightly scared and we listen when scary 'panicy' forcasts are broadcast by our leader.... Keep the Social Distancing and stay safe everybody.

That 15,000 figure wasn't just made up. Spain surpassed 15k cases in the same space of time as we could have.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Maestro85

s1ippy wrote: »
    Great time to have this thought, 3:30am

What happens to all the nuclear reactors if there's nobody around to look after them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvqm_pPD-aQ

• Advertisement

DeepNeck wrote: »
    From today to the end of this plague the simple fact is 90% of new infections will be Eejits and 10% will be unfortunates that have done nothing wrong and got unlucky.
    This plague if we are lucky could be a blessing and be the cull that the herd needs!
    Fact are anyone with a wit of sense is staying at home , only the Eejits are out and about.

Right, Yeh, Moving On

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Zp62FPF.jpg

From today to the end of this plague the simple fact is 90% of new infections will be Eejits and 10% will be unfortunates that have done nothing wrong and got unlucky.
    This plague if we are lucky could be a blessing and be the cull that the herd needs!
    Fact are anyone with a wit of sense is staying at home , only the Eejits are out and about.

Great cull. By your own made up stats, 9/10s of the people killed didn't deserve it.

Not going to Google it but I am pretty sure Dr. Tony Holohan said in his press conference a few days ago that they were testing people with 2 symptoms and who had had contact with a confirmed case.

Could be wrong but it does not matter - we are testing all we can test. Finding as many positives as we can and isolating them.

Our health professionals and out Government are doing their best. I don't doubt this.
    My apologies, it's priority groups taking preference, so you're right, I'm wrong. Always best get a the info from official sources.
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing.html

kowloon wrote: »
    Zp62FPF.jpg

My eyes!

• Advertisement

Just think, in the 40's men had to storm the beaches of Iwo Jima/Normandy, fight hand to hand in Stalingrad to be said to be doing their civic duty, today in 2020 "men" are having .........

............to limit their 5K to a 2K. And it's hard. Damn hard.

Are you even speaking English.
    Don't have a clue nor care what you are saying!

paleoperson

I apologize. I should have read your post a little more carefully.
    Like everyone I don't want to see this happening. We are all on edge
    Let's Stick together.

Anyone have a sausage sandwich???

Hello???

Anyone?

Anyone have a sausage sandwich???

Hello???

Anyone?

I have some meatballs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Just think, in the 40's men had to storm the beaches of Iwo Jima/Normandy, fight hand to hand in Stalingrad to be said to be doing their civic duty, today in 2020 "men" are having breakdowns after a few days of a micky mouse lock down.
    Good time breed weak men
    Weak men create bad times
    Bad times create strong men
    we are here!!!
    Strong men create good times

I find it very easy to self isolate. People make up non sence trying to make it hard. We have internet access ,any streaming, gaming ,learning most part is for free. Music any song you want . You exercise unless a pro athlete 2km is more than enough , you can literally weight train with your own body.No shortage of food , no fear of evictions, clean water from the tap .
    War times my hole, we are literally asked to do nothing and still people cant do that.

I find it very easy to self isolate. People make up non sence trying to make it hard. We have internet access ,any streaming, gaming ,learning most part is for free. Music any song you want . You exercise unless a pro athlete 2km is more than enough , you can literally weight train with your own body.No shortage of food , no fear of evictions, clean water from the tap .
    War times my hole, we are literally asked to do nothing and still people cant do that.

Yes but this enemy is so small we can't see it. 95% of us need to do nothing but stay at home. If we could all get guns and shoot it, that would be great.
    Some of us could be heroes and some cowards. Now being a coward makes us a hero and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

So true but it’s not easy. We are social beings after all. I’m introverted and even finding it difficult.
    Expecting people to act above reporoach when the world outside seems fine and dandy is a tall order. It’s great most people are but will always be people who will slip through the cracks or people who mean good but who will do something in their own self interest from time to time.

So true but it’s not easy. We are social beings after all. I’m introverted and even finding it difficult.
    Expecting people to act above reporoach when the world outside seems fine and dandy is a tall order. It’s great most people are but will always be people who will slip through the cracks or people who mean good but who will do something in their own self interest from time to time.

Yes but viruses depend on the majority of us to be idiots - not the minority.

Absolutely. My husband has been wearing ffp3 respirators in work (construction) when in the vicinity of any colleagues for the last two weeks and has been laughed at and told ‘they don’t work for the virus!’

This is from people who have been trained to use them for protection and have had them readily available to use.

Can people not use their own brains and do some f****n research.

For some unknown reason there is a social nonacceptance in people in Ireland and the UK to the wearing of masks. It is truly incredible.
    In fact if I went about spraying an aerosol in peoples faces and told them it was Covid 19 they would seem to be less offended than if I approached them wearing a mask.

They accept the Govt advise that "Currently we are not advising people to wear masks" means the same thing as "We do not recommend that people wear masks".

Yet they distrust the Government on anything else they say.

The Chinese Govt say you should wear masks
    The Belgian Govt Made it a law that you wear a mask
    The Czech Republic Made it a law that you wear a mask
    Everyone in India and Pakistan is wearng a mask- Pollution of course

Now in New York - lots of people wearing masks

Every time I see a scene from Italy, France or Spain everyone is wearing a mask. Are they all idiots ? Do we need to ship out a load of Irish Geniuses
    to tell them they are wasting their time?

A bunch of guys that know everything about as virus that did not exist 6 months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

No expert on the matter but apparently it stops the virus spreading from people who already have it. Also goggles should be worn as well as can contact through eyes.

Again no expert but that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Throw a toilet roll in with Fish fingers and the Bacardi is yours!

Actually I can't make the toilet roll quota - only have about three rolls
    and couldn't care less. Wiping my arse is the least of my concerns

Actually I can't make the toilet roll quota - only have about three rolls
    and couldn't care less. Wiping my arse is the least of my concerns

Been at the supermarket three times over the last month and only thing i could get was kitchen rolls.

Just putting them in bags at the minute and outside into the bin.

Has to be done!!

No expert on the matter but apparently it stops the virus spreading from people who already have it. Also goggles should be worn as well as can contact through eyes.

Again no expert but that's just my opinion.

None of us are experts. If we were we would be too busy to be posting stuff here.
    I know nothing about virology, epidemics or anything else. I am an Accountant - pretty useless in a pandemic.
    Thing is no one is saying wearing a mask makes it more likely that you contract the disease or that you spread the disease.
    But
    I got 2 eyes, 2 nostrils, 1 mouth. I don't suck air through my eyes

but I do suck air through my mouth and nostrils.

That's what I know - as an Accountant.

For some unknown reason there is a social nonacceptance in people in Ireland and the UK to the wearing of masks. It is truly incredible.
    In fact if I went about spraying an aerosol in peoples faces and told them it was Covid 19 they would seem to be less offended than if I approached them wearing a mask.

They accept the Govt advise that "Currently we are not advising people to wear masks" means the same thing as "We do not recommend that people wear masks".

Every time I see a scene from Italy, France or Spain everyone is wearing a mask. Are they all idiots ? Do we need to ship out a load of Irish Geniuses

A bunch of guys that know everything about as virus that did not exist 6 months ago?

At the very start, I kind of believed the people who said they don't stop it, till I realised they were talking about how they don't stop you getting it as much as it stops you spreading it. A very self-centered approach to placing a value on a mask's helpfulness.

Vietnam has on the spot fines now for not wearing one and the traffic police are checking for no masks now more than anything else. It's also one of the most successful countries in dealing with all of this because of the extreme measures they're taking, so I think every country should be following the more successful ones' leads even if it's a bit socially awkward.

As I've said before, if I were to sneeze in your direction, you'd wish I had a mask on to stop the phlegm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Because masks are expensive. Masks also need to be changed a few times a day. Most of the masks you see people wearing out and about are utterly useless. I’ve even seen dust masks. I’ve seen people wear the same mask day after day. Pissing in the wind.

Oh and while I’m at it, while the rest of the world was busy shipping in PROPER masks our fücktards in Dáil Éireann were shipping in Italians and thick cûnts that pissed off to Cheltenham for a week.

Because masks are expensive. Masks also need to be changed a few times a day. Most of the masks you see people wearing out and about are utterly useless. I’ve even seen dust masks. I’ve seen people wear the same mask day after day. Pissing in the wind.

Oh and while I’m at it, while the rest of the world was busy shipping in PROPER masks our fücktards in Dáil Éireann were shipping in Italians and thick cûnts that pissed off to Cheltenham for a week.

If you even had a Kleenex taped over your mouth, it would help stop someone with it spread it less. "Utterly useless" my hole.

At the very start, I kind of believed the people who said they don't stop it, till I realised they were talking about how they don't stop you getting it as much as it stops you spreading it. A very self-centered approach to placing a value on a mask's helpfulness.

Vietnam has on the spot fines now for not wearing one and the traffic police are checking for no masks now more than anything else. It's also one of the most successful countries in dealing with all of this because of the extreme measures they're taking, so I think every country should be following the more successful ones' leads even if it's a bit socially awkward.

As I've said before, if I were to sneeze in your direction, you'd wish I had a mask on to stop the phlegm.

The reason why we are not doing the same thing here is not sinister.
    It is because every face mask that we can get our hands on is needed by our health service personnel. They face this virus every day 1000 times as much as we do .

Telling the people that they need face masks to save your life is like saying "you need hand sanitizer to save your lives" . You cannot get it so what is the point.

Hand washing - Helps
    Social Distancing - Helps
    Lockdowns- Help
    Concuunig-Helps

Maybe it is time for them to say "Mask Wearing Helps"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre in the UK says the mortality rate among those admitted to ICU is running near 50%

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate
    The high death rate raises questions about how effective critical care will be in saving the lives of people struck down by the disease. As a top priority, the NHS is opening field hospitals in London, Birmingham and Manchester, which will incorporate some of the biggest critical care units ever seen in Britain.

“The truth is that quite a lot of these individuals [in critical care] are going to die anyway and there is a fear that we are just ventilating them for the sake of it, for the sake of doing something for them, even though it won’t be effective. That’s a worry,”

If you even had a Kleenex taped over your mouth, it would help stop someone with it spread it less. "Utterly useless" my hole.

How you getting on now Ads? If I remember correctly your in China?

• Advertisement

Went to the supermarket last week. Early on Old Timers Hours.
    There were so few people wearing masks but so many holding handkerchiefs
    and clothes to there faces it was sad to see.

How can you claim to know how effective "a Kleenex taped over your mouth"
    would be against a virus that the leading experts in this world knew nothing about five months ago?

Why don't you go to the W.H.O. and tell them about your theory about

anything being useless in YOUR hole

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

Some protection is better than no protection. It’s unfortunate that some people interpret “it doesn’t stop you getting the virus” as the masks are useless.

It doesn’t have to be 100% effective, it just needs to have SOME risk reduction and if everyone wore one then then benefits multiply.

We have more cases than Hong Kong yet they have have 2m more people crammed in 1/85 of the space. Everyone wears a mask there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

kowloon wrote: »
    Zp62FPF.jpg

Ah yes, Sam Pepys, he in a single decade, witnessed the restoration of a monarchy, retribution, the great plague and the great fire, he'd have laughed at the Corona virus, he would definitely not have coped with Me Too though!

The Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre in the UK says the mortality rate among those admitted to ICU is running near 50%

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

It's a pity the Guardian felt the need to use the Observer's piece on this. It's the same as the cured vs. dead figures that people were scaremongering with ages ago. Countries start off really high, like 50%, and over time, it drops back into the single digits.

The pertinent quote from the article is:

that of 165 patients treated in critical care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since the end of February, 79 died, while 86 survived and were discharged. The figures were taken from an audit of 775 people who have been or are in critical care with the disease, across 285 intensive care units. The remaining 610 patients continue to receive intensive care.

10% have died. It remains to be seen what the final figure will be, but I suspect that like the cured vs. dead figures, it won't be 50%. If I had to guess, it will be between 10% and 25% depending on access to ventilators.

defrule wrote: »
    Some protection is better than no protection. It’s unfortunate that some people interpret “it doesn’t stop you getting the virus” as the masks are useless.

It doesn’t have to be 100% effective, it just needs to have SOME risk reduction and if everyone wore one then then benefits multiply.

We have more cases than Hong Kong yet they have have 2m more people crammed in 1/85 of the space. Everyone wears a mask there.

Yes, but apparently they are all idiots and don't have a clue what they are doing.

How you getting on now Ads? If I remember correctly your in China?

I'm in Vietnam. Haven't worked in nine weeks, and we've just started our big lockdown now. Boredom is definitely not an issue though as I've been flat out coding for my side-business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ah the expert is here. Yeah you see a lot of doctors going around with Kleenex taped to their mouths.

I’d rather not wear a mask than to have the likes of a dust mask or damp mask from wearing it all day, I’m not an expert like you but I’m willing to hazard a guess that’s not good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

10% have died. It remains to be seen what the final figure will be, but I suspect that like the cured vs. dead figures, it won't be 50%.

Just to be crystal clear on facts here the death rate is almost 50%

That is a fact. It would not be stated in an official report if that was not the case.

It is not mentioned in the report what stage the remaining patients are at but doctors are very concerned about issues surrounding the death rate and whether these people should be kept alive for as long as they are being kept "alive" through ventilators. There are moral and other issues surrounding that.

We face are a very serious crisis and I don't see a way out at the moment. Even if you look at the Italian disaster - there is just a lid on that. Can't take the lid off. Now the country faces serious social disorder and others are going to follow.

The most important thing is that this is managed as well as possible but also that China is nailed to the wall for what has happened.

And they will be. This will never be allowed to happen again.

The Guardian is The Observer btw.

Ah the expert is here. Yeah you see a lot of doctors going around with Kleenex taped to their mouths.

I’d rather not wear a mask than to have the likes of a dust mask or damp mask from wearing it all day, I’m not an expert like you but I’m willing to hazard a guess that’s not good for you.

Surely the issue is not how effective it is in protecting you.
    Ask the questions:
    Can it Harm You?
    Can it Harm Others Around You?

If the answer to either question is No why are people so apposed to it?

I never claimed to be an expert. But I do trust the governments of countries that are used to masks and have enough of them more than the government of a country that isn't used to them and doesn't have enough of them.

Believe what you want anyways. If you think masks or my extreme example of a Kleenex don't stop droplets exiting your mouth, while also talking about masks getting damp, there's not much I can do to convince you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Surely the issue is not how effective it is in protecting you.
    Ask the questions:
    Can it Harm You?
    Can it Harm Others Around You?

If the answer to either question is No why are people so apposed to it?

What I see are people wearing them and gloves when shopping and then discarding them in carparks. Might that be harmful to others?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement