Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Happy4all wrote: »
    What I see are people wearing them and gloves when shopping and then discarding them in carparks. Might that be harmful to others?

Jeez how do you even try to respond to crap like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

MipMap wrote: »
    Jeez how do you even try to respond to crap like this?

Maybe get some sleep, you seem a bit wound up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

South Korea reports 105 new cases and 8 new deaths.

Singapore 70 new cases and 1 death. Only it's 3rd death.

Just to be crystal clear on facts here the death rate is almost 50%

That is a fact. It would not be stated in an official report if that was not the case.

Just to be crystal clear, the death rate at the moment, with 79% of ICU cases unresolved, is almost 50%.

No one is disputing the facts of the report. I am however disputing the incorrect take away that it 50% of people in ICU with Covid-19 die. If the true death rate of patients in ICU is 25%, the death rate will trend towards that. If the true death rate is 50%, it will stay where it is. The initial figures will always be scary since it takes less time to die from it than to recover, meaning the initial ratio is artificially high.

I can't find information on what the true rate might be. I certainly hope it's not 50%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Just to be crystal clear, the death rate at the moment, with 90% of ICU cases unresolved, is almost 50%.

No one is disputing the facts of the report. I am however disputing the incorrect take away that it 50% of people in ICU with Covid-19 die. If the true death rate of patients in ICU is 25%, the death rate will trend towards that. If the true death rate is 50%, it will stay where it is.

I can't find information on what the true rate might be. I certainly hope it's not 50%.

Jesus. Thats crazy if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If that was obama......It's a good video in fairness. Glad I'm not in New York though.

It's a video of guns and flags. Propaganda nonsense. If North Korea was putting out videos like that while a virus was getting out of control there, they'd be laughed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

I have seen people arrive at a house in an estate at 5.30am. Basically known heavy drinkers arriving at another drinkers house. Maybe a total of 5 people in the house. Still there.

Id imagine this will be a problem all over the country - the types that go to a bar on saturday night, drink on at the house after last orders then back to the bar as soon as it opens in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Because masks are expensive. Masks also need to be changed a few times a day. Most of the masks you see people wearing out and about are utterly useless. I’ve even seen dust masks. I’ve seen people wear the same mask day after day. Pissing in the wind.

Oh and while I’m at it, while the rest of the world was busy shipping in PROPER masks our fücktards in Dáil Éireann were shipping in Italians and thick cûnts that pissed off to Cheltenham for a week.

Saw a fella who had a mask on his head, like wearing sunglasses. No doubt he wanted to reuse the mask but that's pointless if someone coughed behind you and the virus is now on your head and his mask sat on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lets face it though America is going to infect us all over and over if they don't get a handle on it. If they let it take over ..

• Advertisement

jj880 wrote: »
    I have seen people arrive at a house in an estate at 5.30am. Basically known heavy drinkers arriving at another drinkers house. Maybe a total of 5 people in the house. Still there.

Id imagine this will be a problem all over the country - the types that go to a bar on saturday night, drink on at the house after last orders then back to the bar as soon as it opens in the morning.

Call the guards

Lets face it though America is going to infect us all over and over if they don't get a handle on it. If they let it take over ..

The thing with americans they all want to return to work and just keep the elderly isolated. If their health insurance lapses their ****ed.

Could be hit with an enormous bill of 100K if they do end up having to go to hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I saw somewhere, (can’t remember where), that a study of the first 2500 deaths in Italy showed that the leading ‘underlying condition’ of those who died was heart disease, followed by diabetes.
    latest report here
    https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_26_marzo_eng.pdf
    Characteristics of COVID-19 patients dying in Italy
    Report based on available data on March 26th, 2020
    https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/sars-cov-2-decessi-italia

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

humberklog wrote: »
    Hey, don't like you're tone "read it again".

I won't see your next post.

humberklog
    If I can convince one person to wear a mask and stay alive

Then I don't care whether you or any one else associated with this site
    agrees or disagrees with me.

You got That ?

Trump just said Johnson rang him asking for ventilators (before Trump could say a word according to Trump) :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

s1ippy wrote: »
    Great time to have this thought, 3:30am

What happens to all the nuclear reactors if there's nobody around to look after them?

Actually, all the trees in the forest will fall. That sound may or may not be heard. I've researched this. I have even been to a lecture with the acknowledged world authority on this subject.

He got a resounding round of applause from the audience. They all clapped with one one hand. All those that weren't there found it to be an extremely moving occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

The most important thing is that this is managed as well as possible but also that China is nailed to the wall for what has happened.

And they will be. This will never be allowed to happen again.

That's the most important thing? :rolleyes:

Btw, current Corona fatalities (including any cause of death at all in 90+ year olds where someone happened to have Covid-19 when they died) = 30k.

Swine Flu fatalities = between 150k and 500k. Started in the good ole USA.

Lay off the Trump propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

beolight wrote: »
    Bumping this can anybody with 3D printer replicate this maybe Doctors could use their network to converse with the Italians

All info for 3D printers are online:

otnomart wrote: »
    "This new part was named Charlotte valve.
    The patent will remain free to use because it is in our intention that all hospitals in need could use it if necessary,”

https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/isinnova-shares-3d-printed-adapter-to-turn-snorkeling-mask-into-a-non-invasive-ventilator/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Death toll lags New Daily Infections.
    After we see new infections go down for maybe for a week of consecutive days, then expect to see the Death toll to follow.

• Advertisement

BluePlanet wrote: »
    Death toll lags New Daily Infections.
    After we see new infections go down for maybe for a week of consecutive days, then expect to see the Death toll to follow.

Sun ain't rising any time soon i'm afraid. Things globally are going to get a lot worse.

I'd be hoping we could start lifting restrictions a little globally by July.

I'm not not sure the population understands the gravity of what has happened and the consequences that are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Aer Lingus are on the way back from China, carrying badly needed PPE for our health workers.

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9019/244a4bcd

"One group of doctors say they have procured €6,000 worth of PPE themselves after losing patience with the HSE’s efforts to supply the equipment."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163761/Chinese-markets-selling-bats.html

:( I have never read an article about these meat markets. As a vegetarian for 35 years my eyes have always glazed over at those kinds of things and avoided them, eg PETA videos, slaughter videos from vegans or whatever, because I have never been or felt political about not eating meat, it was always just a personal choice and if people don't feel that way, then my attitude has been, "so what".
    But fcuk me pictures of cats and dogs in cages waiting to be sold, killed and eaten! It is truly grotesque. A pretty model nibbling a bat! Nausea-inducing. The very idea of all this is utterly grotesque and savage.

Apparently these vile markets are back up and running. Ugh. I will have to resume normal function of choosing not to look at these kinds of images lest I devolve into a crazy misanthrope!

Gynoid wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163761/Chinese-markets-selling-bats.html

:( I have never read an article about these meat markets. As a vegetarian for 35 years my eyes have always glazed over at those kinds of things and avoided them, eg PETA videos, slaughter videos from vegans or whatever, because I have never been or felt political about not eating meat, it was always just a personal choice and if people don't feel that way, then my attitude has been, "so what".
    But fcuk me pictures of cats and dogs in cages waiting to be sold, killed and eaten! It is truly grotesque. A pretty model nibbling a bat! Nausea-inducing. The very idea of all this is utterly grotesque and savage.

Apparently these vile markets are back up and running. Ugh. I will have to resume normal function of choosing not to look at these kinds of images lest I devolve into a crazy misanthrope!

Cages piled on top of each other.

Absolutely disgusting, bats ****ting and pissing on dogs, dogs in turn ****ting and pissing on cats, cats ****ting and pissing on ferrets, ferretts ****ting and pissing on racoons etc etc.

**** sake and its still going on, no wonder disease is widespread.

Sun ain't rising any time soon i'm afraid. Things globally are going to get a lot worse.

I'd be hoping we could start lifting restrictions a little globally by July.

I'm not not sure the population understands the gravity of what has happened and the consequences that are coming.

It's looking like Italy's New Daily Cases is leveling off, so that's something.
    Maybe Spain too (fingers crossed).

• Advertisement

It's looking like Italy's New Daily Cases is leveling off, so that's something.
    Maybe Spain too (fingers crossed).

But that's with a lid on. Take the lid off and....

Cases are still increasing and that's not changing any time soon.

We are in a really bad place.

I don't know what the solution is going to be.

We need a vaccine.

Cages piled on top of each other.

Absolutely disgusting, bats ****ting and pissing on dogs, dogs in turn ****ting and pissing on cats, cats ****ting and pissing on ferrets, ferretts ****ting and pissing on racoons etc etc.

**** sake and its still going on, no wonder disease is widespread.

Gack! Sorry, I am just turning back towards oblivion on this now, it would make me too cross and disturbed to think about it. Like child abuse, sex trafficking, fgm etc there are some things that would break me if I dwelled on them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭893bet

Aer Lingus are on the way back from China, carrying badly needed PPE for our health workers.

"One group of doctors say they have procured €6,000 worth of PPE themselves after losing patience with the HSE’s efforts to supply the equipment."

Ignore the fact that the government have spent 200 million on PPE and focus on that 6 k to spin the narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Gynoid wrote: »

I saw worse on some YouTube videos. A market with live animals like cats and dogs in cages. Also included in the market were other animals like wildlife animals, exotic animals, rodent. Live animals. Dead animals. Cooked animals.

I saw another video of animals/dogs skinned alive.

I saw another video with much much worse. Stomach turning stuff that I will not write here because I don't want to sicken readers but it's bad.

If these practices don't stop the birth of a new virus could happen at any stage.

Living aside your vegetarianism, Ireland and the rest of Europe don't treat animals this way and we don't have e these slaughtering practices.

I am still the only one in my village I've seen wearing a mask -

Feel like a plonker but I'll take my chances - I can live with that.

I just say to myself that every single person of Asian descent in every single news bulletin across the entire world can't be wrong...

...And every single frontline doctor/nurse/medic/worker across the planet.

I bought mine back in January; back then, HomeCare Medical told me that most of their customers were people coming in to buy and send back home to China(couldn't blame them - I guess I'd have done the same) The respirators were also widely available in all of the Hardware stores; FFP2/ FFP3 masks.

They were gone by the end of Jan - in my area anyway.

Jesus Christ, masks work. But only the correct masks.

Unless every person has an N95/FFP3 supply then it's just better to not wear one and stay the **** home.

****wits have been flouting social distancing, given any excuse, what do you think would happen if these morons thought that their paper mask was protection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Does anyone know the details of the Aer Lingus flight coming back from Beijing? Flight number, ETA, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Don't believe anything that written in the right wing rag ....

There is a denial in the UK media about what they have done.

There is a Sky News report running last few days which tries to explain why most of the deaths would have happened anyway as the people were old...
    They are talking about 20,000 deaths !

Little or no mention of this article from the Lancet "“Forget lockdown—we are going into meltdown.”
    https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0140-6736%2820%2930727-3
    amber2 wrote: »
    Kermit think you are right, don’t think we can comprehend the gravity or enormity what could be to come.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1261631/coronavirus-europe-social-unrest-riots-covid19-red-cross-warning

owlbethere wrote: »
    I saw worse on some YouTube videos. A market with live animals like cats and dogs in cages. Also included in the market were other animals like wildlife animals, exotic animals, rodent. Live animals. Dead animals. Cooked animals.

I saw another video of animals/dogs skinned alive.

I saw another video with much much worse. Stomach turning stuff that I will not write here because I don't want to sicken readers but it's bad.

If these practices don't stop the birth of a new virus could happen at any stage.

Living aside your vegetarianism, Ireland and the rest of Europe don't treat animals this way and we don't have e these slaughtering practices.

Not uncommon there for dogs to be thrown into boiling water alive and the lid shut or cooked alive with a small flame gun. The agony with both is unthinkable.

Its ****ing disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

I am still the only one in my village I've seen wearing a mask -

Feel like a plonker but I'll take my chances - I can live with that.

I just say to myself that every single person of Asian descent in every single news bulletin across the entire world can't be wrong...

...And every single frontline doctor/nurse/medic/worker across the planet.

I bought mine back in January; back then, HomeCare Medical told me that most of their customers were people coming in to buy and send back home to China(couldn't blame them - I guess I'd have done the same) The respirators were also widely available in all of the Hardware stores; FFP2/ FFP3 masks.

They were gone by the end of Jan - in my area anyway.

The efficacy of a mask is negligible. When are people going to get this. In fact, from adjusting it you are actually increasing contact between hands and face. They are not comfortable to wear. Take it from someone who has to wear them as part of my job.
    Also, frontline workers are only wearing them when in close face to face contact with people who are symptomatic. And with those with cystic fibrosis etc. And that is to protect the patients, not themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

shinny wrote: »
    Does anyone know the details of the Aer Lingus flight coming back from Beijing? Flight number, ETA, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

What are you planning on doing in pro tools and Logic? If you're making electronic music get Ableton. But if you plan on working like a band then go for pro tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭d51984

Aer Lingus flight from China EIN9019 EI-EAV due back 1410 Dublin

Another two planes will depart from Dublin today also :

EIN9018 EI-EIM due out 1020z to PEK.
    EIN9020 EI-FNG due out 1320z to PEK.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Can anybody step in and regulate the Chinese markets? Can the WHO help at all if their practices are affecting the whole world?

The markets were meant to stop with the last SARS outbreak in 2002 but obviously ignored. And now we face this and their continuity of these markets and probably another pandemic on the way from there.

I get it, they eat cats and dogs like we eat pigs. But why can't they have regulations in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

keithkk16 wrote: »
    What are you planning on doing in pro tools and Logic? If you're making electronic music get Ableton. But if you plan on working like a band then go for pro tools.

Best post of the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Not uncommon there for dogs to be thrown into boiling water alive and the lid shut or cooked alive with a small flame gun. The agony with both is unthinkable.

Its ****ing disgusting

But it’s ok to gas pigs with co2 or put 6 or 7 baby chicks into zip lock bags at a time to suffocate them as their worthless in the industry.

Don’t cod yourself. The west are no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Nero fiddled while Rome burned ....
    Logan Roy wrote: »
    Best post of the thread

893bet wrote: »
    Ignore the fact that the government have spent 200 million on PPE and focus on that 6 k to spin the narrative.
    It's not the euro amount though that matters is it.

It's the lack of preparedness and the legacy of certain parties underfunding the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

amber2 wrote: »
    Kermit think you are right, don’t think we can comprehend the gravity or enormity what could be to come.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1261631/coronavirus-europe-social-unrest-riots-covid19-red-cross-warning

Our government through medical advisors are doing exactly as many other countries are doing: slowly introducing the measures and giving short term dates (I.e. measures in place for 2 weeks and will be reviewed).

This is our new way of life for what I think will be the rest of the year at least. If measures are lifted and life goes back to normal, the virus kicks back up and we are in the same scenario again. I think the test for antigens may allow some people to start going back to normal again, but as we haven't been through a full year if this virus, we don't yet know if it has the ability to mutate like the flu virus.

Yesterday in his briefing, Simon Harris coyly said that measures are not going to be suddenly lifted on Easter Sunday, they are likely to be with us for many weeks and months. There is likely to be restrictions in place until there is a vaccine that has the capability of being produced for the global population and is 100% safe.

Air Travel will be severely affected for the rest of the year at least as governments will want to control the virus in their own country. This virus spread through air travel so quickly, unlike any other virus.

This is such a surreal situation, something we will talk about in many many years to come. I trust the advice we are being given by the scientists / medical teams and know that we will all get used to these restrictions and pull together as a community to support each other. There will be a vaccine and the virus is likely to be with us for many years to come, but spread will be contained through vaccines (similar to the flu).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

kyote00 wrote: »
    Don't believe anything that written in the right wing rag ....

There is a denial in the UK media about what they have done.

There is a Sky News report running last few days which tries to explain why most of the deaths would have happened anyway as the people were old...
    They are talking about 20,000 deaths !

Little or no mention of this article from the Lancet "“Forget lockdown—we are going into meltdown.”

If you have a twitter account ,maybe you could send that "lancet" link to Peter Hitchens. Invite him to read it or maybe put it as a counter-balance in his next Daily Mail column.

It's worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Can anybody step in and regulate the Chinese markets? Can the WHO help at all if their practices are affecting the whole world?

The markets were meant to stop with the last SARS outbreak in 2002 but obviously ignored. And now we face this and their continuity of these markets and probably another pandemic on the way from there.

I get it, they eat cats and dogs like we eat pigs. But why can't they have regulations in place.

Like everything in China, the market's could be stopped by the authorities if they wanted too, it may happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

It's not the euro amount though that matters is it.

It's the lack of preparedness and the legacy of certain parties underfunding the HSE.

How is the HSE under funded? Have you seen the amount of the budget that goes to the health service?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

How is the HSE under funded? Have you seen the amount of the budget that goes to the health service?

It drives me mad when I hear politicians saying they'll pump more money into the H. S. E,
    It needs restructuring no more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

Correct, it is not underfunded, it is poorly managed.

kyote00 wrote: »

From the article you link -

The NHS has been wholly unprepared for this pandemic. It’s impossible to understand why. Based on their modelling of the Wuhan outbreak of COVID-19, Joseph Wu and his colleagues wrote in The Lancet on Jan 31, 2020: “On the present trajectory, 2019-nCoV could be about to become a global epidemic...for health protection within China and internationally...preparedness plans should be readied for deployment
    at short notice, including securing supply chains of pharmaceuticals, personal protective equipment, hospital supplies, and the necessary human resources to deal with the consequences of a global outbreak of this magnitude.”
    This warning wasn’t made lightly. It should have been read by the Chief Medical Officer, the Chief Executive Officer of the NHS in England, and the Chief Scientific Adviser. They had a duty to immediately put the NHS and British public on high alert. February should have been
    used to expand coronavirus testing capacity, ensure the distribution of WHO-approved PPE, and establish training programmes and guidelines to protect NHS staff. They
    didn’t take any of those actions. The result has been chaos and panic across the NHS. Patients will die unnecessarily.
    NHS staff will die unnecessarily. It is, indeed, as one health worker wrote last week, “a national scandal”. The gravity of that scandal has yet to be understood.""

The same could be said of our set up, really. Nobody wanted to look like a nervous ninnie or a chicken licken. And now do we really have enough tests?

I think it was Raconteuse yesterday who saud something like calculating from patient 1 in Ireland to now our numbers are worse than Italy ir Spain if you go to 4 week point for them. I saw it as a quoted post and could not find original or link. But since the idea was horrifying I checked it out, and we had 1st case about 4 weeks ago whereas Italy was January 31st. And indeed by 4 weeks later they had LESS numbers than we have now. (!!!!!!)

And yet today there are big knobs and big nibs having safe skype or zoom meetings today to decide if their construction projects could somehow, ( anyhow!), be squeezed in under "essential" or "critical" so that the foot soldiers can be told there is no problem about them being on site at 8am tomorrow despite the whole country being asked to stay safely at home, just eat your lunch in your cars and don't speak up out of turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ettravel

guards put in force on village main street checking where u going and coming from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement