Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

WW2 lasted 6 years more or less. Expand your time horizon. Face reality embrace it my fellow citizens. Why do I have a Conor mcgregor accent when I type? :D

I think using world war analogies are wrong, people kept working and didnt retreat to their houses at these times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow/66546216065

HSE Covid-19 Briefing Sunday 29/3/2020

after new critral = 15K to be tested
    tested 11K have appointment
    4K waiting for appointment
    5K a day testing
    opening more

plan to have 15K per day by end of the week

they also reported they planed to have 1200 bed for critical care, I'm not sure quite what the difference from ICU beds there is if any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

BanditLuke wrote: »
    It's not flip flopping - it's a fast changing situation that requires different responses at different times.

That should be clear if you read the articles you link to:
    Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan says it's too soon to restrict visiting

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dalach

Frontline staff should be exempted from tolls during this crisis.
    We all are depending on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

WW2 lasted 6 years more or less. Expand your time horizon. Face reality embrace it my fellow citizens. Why do I have a Conor mcgregor accent when I type? :D

I knew it! These lockdown fetishists are the same ones who think we need a big war to sort out the world, absolute ghouls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I knew it! These lockdown fetishists are the same ones who think we need a big war to sort out the world, absolute ghouls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think using world war analogies are wrong, people kept working and didnt retreat to their houses at these times.

Very true life continued on regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

cnocbui wrote:
    When you think of the Chinese sending aid the Italy and the current Aerlingus flight to bring back PPE, they really are a good fit for a narrative that the China are working hard to project an image as the good guys and make political capital out of this.
    And if you read all these threads on boards you'll see that most people don't trust them and believe they are lying about the numbers.
    I am with the majority, too many people living there for those numbers to he correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

coastwatch wrote: »
    Is there is any sharing of experience, lessons learned or effective treatments so far, between frontline medical professionals around the world?

Yes definitely, both formally and informally!

All the major international societies have published guidelines on how best to manage COVID within their own specialities. Ireland has also trained fellows from Spain/Italy etc who had returned to their own countries and now are in contact with their old teams here to give their own personal experiences on what is happening in their own hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

HSE briefing today states that they are doing 5000 swabs/day **How many lab results are they getting a day?**
    When you say "doing"

Did they say taking 5000 swabs a day or processing 5000 swabs a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Phoebas wrote: »
    It's not flip flopping - it's a fast changing situation that requires different responses at different times.

Yeah that "too soon" comment he made was moronic. With such high risk people there was never a "too soon" to protect them.

You need to have a good long hard look at yourself tbh. Absolutely pathetic.
    What's pathetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Shedidnt wrote: »
    At some point the country is going to have to begin to function again. You can't keep a whole country in lockdown for a year.

It's been a couple of weeks, relax. This will go on for at least the next 2 months and let's see where we are then. The world really needs some reliable stats out of China to see if the workforce re-entering the work environment is getting infected and how badly. A lot will depend on that but it's very hard to get honest data out of a regime that has consistently been dishonest with the world as well as their own populace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Masks don't work.
    • Pandemic is low risk.
    • Paddy's day parade is a constitutional right.
    • Old people die anyway.
    • Go fetish someone else please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Phoebas wrote: »

I read both articles and yes he said too soon. It was the wrong call as anyone who works in a nursing home or care centre environment will tell you. 1 step behind the virus as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Brief is short. So to me it is less than or equal to 30 minutes.

But check with Leo first. I'm just being sensible here.
    whats a brief walk vs a brief cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

The lockdown of society is just the price we pay for something deeper that's very messed up.

Our priorities nowadays are very messed up IMHO. Our society and economy are clearly precarious structures and if there's no soul-searching after this about what needs to change (even if it was just healthcare) I despair for humanity and where it's going.

The US is where this is going to be writ large in the next few weeks. Already the New York hospitals are overwhelmed badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

eagle eye wrote: »
    What's pathetic?

These people are genuinely trying their best do do what's right for the country and you attack them and their motive based on your own groundless prejudices.

That is absolutely pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

niallo27 wrote: »

We have no experience of war in this country fortunately. Look at the countries who do. Germany doing pretty well. Japan not that bad. Take it up with bill gates. He called it. Corona don't care what you think is wrong.

"In the case of biological threats, that sense of urgency is lacking," he said. "The world needs to prepare for pandemics in the same serious way it prepares for war."

He said that he viewed the threat of a pandemic as being on the same level as climate change and nuclear war and that the next epidemic could be "a super contagious and deadly strain of the flu."

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-bill-gates-is-dealing-with-coronavirus-outbreak-2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Oh god no. That doesn't look good for our PPE situation.

I wonder, Ireland has a lot of pharmaceutical companies and factories and cleanrooms etc. I wonder could factories help out with overalls and cleanroom wear for front lines PPE? Just in case the PPE coming in for us turns out to be faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Ger Roe wrote: »
    We are not in 'lockdown'. Still planes landing and taking off and plenty of people still going to work, public transport operating - the list of 'essential services' that must be maintained seems to be broader than most people would have expected.

We are in a period of 'additional restrictions' not a 'lockdown'.

Have to say the list did give me a laugh. It’s like they put every conceivable career on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Are courts still running as normal? I read all thoses scummers spitting ar Gardai being brought up before judges the next day.

I also know someone with a court date for Thursday for no tax (never received original fine) but she's not heard a thing about it being postponed. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

owlbethere wrote: »

I wonder, Ireland has a lot of pharmaceutical companies and factories and cleanrooms etc. I wonder could factories help out with overalls and cleanroom wear for front lines PPE? Just in case the PPE coming in for us turns out to be faulty.

I would say that most companies that would use that gear are now designated as essential and are still working and using their PPE. You might be surprised by the amount of 'essential' manufacturers and suppliers we now have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

The 3rd to Join the hall of shame for spitting at Gardai, take a bow Ms Healey from Ballyfermot. Denied bail.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-charged-with-assaulting-garda-after-allegedly-spitting-in-his-face-and-threatening-to-give-him-coronavirus-39084237.html

I hear there was another in Cork yesterday. This behaviour is now making headlines abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

The brilliant Grant Sanderson (3b1b) explains the exponential nature of a disease like this.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why are we buying PPE from China...shouldn't they be giving PPE to every country on Earth to apologise for unleashing this virus upon the planet?

You'd wonder if this is some sort of a terrorist attack on the world from China.

Virus originated from china
    Asian people running supplies and stocks low in other countries and sending supplies home
    Countries experiencing faulty PPE equipment from china

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

88 currently in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

paul71 wrote: »
    The 3rd to Join the hall of shame for spitting at Gardai, take a bow Ms Healey from Ballyfermot. Denied bail.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-charged-with-assaulting-garda-after-allegedly-spitting-in-his-face-and-threatening-to-give-him-coronavirus-39084237.html

I hear there was another in Cork yesterday. This behaviour is now making headlines abroad.

It’s happening abroad too, why would it make headlines anywhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You'd wonder if this is some sort of a terrorist attack on the world from China.

Asian people running supplies and stocks low in other countries and sending supplies home

The absurdity of some posts have rendered this thread almost farcical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The lockdown of society is just the price we pay for something deeper that's very messed up.

Our priorities nowadays are very messed up IMHO. Our society and economy are clearly precarious structures and if there's no soul-searching after this about what needs to change (even if it was just healthcare) I despair for humanity and where it's going.

The US is where this is going to be writ large in the next few weeks. Already the New York hospitals are overwhelmed badly.

I'm hoping for a profound reassessment of our social values after this. Just a pity it had to take a bloody pandemic. Expect BAU from the usual suspects though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

paul71 wrote: »

Cúnt (her, not you).

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I would say that most companies that would use that gear are now designated as essential and are still working and using their PPE. You might be surprised by the amount of 'essential' manufacturers and suppliers we now have.

That's true. What are we going to do for PPE if the batch turns out faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

A sincere thank you to Order Of Malta - Ambulance Corps.
    These guys are heroes. My brother is on his way to Dublin for surgery as I type this.
    Without the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps this morning, we would not have been able to transport him there.
    Thank you doesn’t come close to my sense of gratitude right now. These people are all volunteers. They are Heroes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The first consignment of PPE equipment from China is due to arrive at Dublin Airport this afternoon. Hopefully there will not be problems with it as other countries have had.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Are courts still running as normal? I read all thoses scummers spitting ar Gardai being brought up before judges the next day.

I also know someone with a court date for Thursday for no tax (never received original fine) but she's not heard a thing about it being postponed. :confused:

Tell her to phone the clerk of the court.

These people are genuinely trying their best do do what's right for the country and you attack them and their motive based on your own groundless prejudices.

That is absolutely pathetic.
    I didn't say they weren't trying. I said there's a lot of stupid people in senior management positions in the public service. Keeping things under the radar is one of the stupid things they do regularly. There are times when it's the right thing to do but not nearly as often as they default to it.
    And their best isn't good enough. Most of my close friends and their families are in self-imposed lockdown for close to four weeks now. The reason being we seen how bad this would get and decided to do our best to prevent contracting it.
    They were in this herd immunity thought process, playing with people's lives, and worrying about the super rich and their finances instead of getting ahead of the curve and locking the whole place down early on. If they did it then we'd have less cases, less deaths and might be near the end of lockdown but they let it run and now we will probably be lucky if 100k are not interested infected and we don't hit 6k deaths.
    The people at the top, for the most part, are hopeless. There are some good guys there who worked their way to the top because their intelligence couldn't be denied but their voices are drowned out by all those who don't deserve and aren't capable of doing the jobs they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It's likely they otherwise would have died this year anyway, is what the original bloke on BBC4 was suggesting.

If they would have died now anyway, then the mortality rate in Lombardy would not be five times higher than normal for this time of year. How is that so hard to understand? Some posters seem to go to great lengths to minimse what is a very serious issue

froog wrote: »
    88 currently in ICU.

The figure is jumping every day

Lundstram wrote: »

Good question.
    UK have stopped jury trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

A Korean-style contact tracing app that will inform people where the nearest case of the virus is, will be launched shortly:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1244216150101315585

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The first consignment of PPE equipment from China is due to arrive at Dublin Airport this afternoon. Hopefully there will not be problems with it as other countries have had.

Other countries took it upon themselves to go through unofficial channels, so they reap what they sow.

The Spanish essentially ordered testing kits on Alibaba

Lillyfae wrote: »
    It’s happening abroad too, why would it make headlines anywhere else?

Don't know I didn't write the articles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

In theory they could. Whether they will or not is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

froog wrote: »
    88 currently in ICU.

I think those numbers were shown to be the total that have been in ICU since the start. As in it doesnt necessarily mean there is 88 still in today. Those that have recovered and unfortunately passed away would be in that number too as far as I know.

We're going to need a miracle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Flood of cash, from where? At least 40% unemployment by the end of this. There will be no money, no jobs, no private businesse, no tax take to pay the HSE dealing with this. It's over. Think end of WW1, hyper inflation, blaming and war.
    Since you mention WW1 all of this is reminding me of the summer of 1914 when all over Europe crowds cheered the troops in a carnival atmosphere as they headed to the front - 'it'll all be over in a few weeks and then everything will get back to normal.'
    The more astute knew that it would go on longer and it was the end of the world as they knew it.
    Who knows whats coming but it isn't going to be pleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Everything is set up for this to last 3 months

Mortgage moratorium - 3 months
    Wage subsidy - 12 weeks

We'll get used to it

Any couple in mortgaged accommodation can have 3000 a month coming in and not pay mortgage. I wouldn't give a flying feck about other bank loans either to be honest if I didn't have any. They'll be fine, they'll survive.

However, our under regulated rental accommodation sector will cause some problems.
    Landlords will want their money and many tenants will be too worried about the future to pay it over. Non registered tenancies in particular will cause massive problems.

Expect to see government buy back of properties from landlords and regulations properly imposed on the sector.

A sincere thank you to Order Of Malta - Ambulance Corps.
    These guys are heroes. My brother is on his way to Dublin for surgery as I type this.
    Without the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps this morning, we would not have been able to transport him there.
    Thank you doesn’t come close to my sense of gratitude right now. These people are all volunteers. They are Heroes.

Why not a regular ambulance? Best of wishes to your brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Be right back

Is there another plane flying to Beijing today or was there just one yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

I wonder are they checking the materials for the virus before leaving China.
    Wasn't there like 11 million people living in Wuhan, I would love to know the true number of deaths.
    I feel like there is too much focus on testing, (here we are lax on it-Norway) if people follow isolation tactics not much more can be done.

Anyone have any information on how the matter hospital is coping with this?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement