Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And on the economy and what's going to play out.
    From top to bottom the attitude nowadays is I want it now, whether that's a billionaire wanting your hard earned cash or the ordinary guy on the street wanting the latest smartphone. There are very few people who think long term anymore. We should learn from this to think long term and being prepared for every eventuality is paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm hoping for a profound reassessment of our social values after this. Just a pity it had to take a bloody pandemic. Expect BAU from the usual suspects though.

It will be interesting to see how they will reprioritise.

If they don't, will that be a tacit admission that the elderly and vulnerable are fair game the next time.

Whatever about the deadliness of this virus, such a response would be a genuinely scary prospect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A Korean-style contact tracing app that will inform people where the nearest case of the virus is, will be launched shortly:

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1244216150101315585

I wonder about privacy concerns on this one. I see it's opt in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

owlbethere wrote: »
    The figure is jumping every day

And it will do so for many weeks ahead. They have been very clear on this. 1200 in ICU has been suggested. We are in the early stages of this and people shouldn't be surprised to see it worsen for a while yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It will be interesting to see how they will reprioritise.

If they don't, will that be a tacit admission that the elderly and vulnerable are fair game the next time.

Whatever about the deadliness of this virus, such a response would be a genuinely scary prospect.

Not something new though. Look at the global situation. It's not just the elderly and vulnerable who are cast aside.

I think those numbers were shown to be the total that have been in ICU since the start. As in it doesnt necessarily mean there is 88 still in today. Those that have recovered and unfortunately passed away would be in that number too as far as I know.

HSE said 88 currently in ICU this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We're going to need a miracle

In great quantities, we need:

Reliable self-testing kits.

and/or

Effective antiviral medication.

and/or

A vaccine.

We're going to need a miracle

Your pessimism is soul destroying. How about changing the record for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

In great quantities, we need:

Reliable self-testing kits.

and/or

Effective antiviral medication.

and/or

A vaccine.

We will have all three of these but will take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Donald Trump mixed up his billions and his trillions when announcing his bailout the other day
    I'm very disappointed that there aren't more DR evil memes going around so I made one myself
    3uidua.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is there another plane flying to Beijing today or was there just one yesterday?

Out - https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244a81c5

Back - https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9019/244a4bcd

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is there another plane flying to Beijing today or was there just one yesterday?

First one is due in dublin around 3pm.

2nd flight left dublin this morning and another one due out in the next hour.

Today's flights

EIN9018 EI-EIM due out 1020z to PEK.
    EIN9020 EI-FNG due out 1320z to PEK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

wakka12 wrote: »
    If they would have died now anyway, then the mortality rate in Lombardy would not be five times higher than normal for this time of year. How is that so hard to understand? Some posters seem to go to great lengths to minimse what is a very serious issue

He didnt say now, he said this year. Why are you not getting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

If they would have died now anyway, then the mortality rate in Lombardy would not be five times higher than normal for this time of year. How is that so hard to understand? Some posters seem to go to great lengths to minimse what is a very serious issue

He reckons they reckon the weak are just being weeded out earlier this year, a pre emptive death strike so to speak, and there will be a lovely lull later when much less people die because the weak were weeded out earlier in the year. A circular enclosed system type of theory. Time will tell whether it is harsh pragmatism or the embrace of eugenics. Personally I think just stay ta fcuk at home until we know much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And while I'm at it. It's going to get to the stage where there are no hospital beds(we have this most of the time without any pandemic) and other buildings are going to have to be set up for Covid-19 patients.
    We have a shortage of nurses in this country which is a problem.
    How about we set up online classes and teach people, who are interested, the basics about tending to covid-19 patients. Put them through an exam and if they pass and are willing to volunteer their services put them to work in these centres.
    There are lots of educational things we can do which will help people understand what we are dealing with and help them prepare better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

niallo27 wrote: »
    What is being said I think is that, if we get this some bit under control by September, there will be a lot less people older people that could die because the majority would have died in april and march.

The majority of old people will not die of COVID in April and MArch, there are tens of millions of people over 65 in Europe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Akrasia wrote: »
    Donald Trump mixed up his billions and his trillions when announcing his bailout the other day
    I'm very disappointed that there aren't more DR evil memes going around so I made one myself
    3uidua.jpg

Leo used a quote from Terminator 2 when addressing the nation during a national crisis.

Leo man bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    HSE said 88 currently in ICU this morning.

Its accumulative. Richard Chambers confirmed this the other night, just like the hospitalized figure.

He didnt say now, he said this year. Why are you not getting that.

So you think that all the deaths are being basically concentrated in March, and then the mortality will be lower than normal in the coming months.So the overall mortality rate for the year will just be normal, despite the pandemic. I get it, I just think it is far fetched, and very likely will not be what happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Light relief. Made me laugh.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And on the economy and what's going to play out.
    From top to bottom the attitude nowadays is I want it now, whether that's a billionaire wanting your hard earned cash or the ordinary guy on the street wanting the latest smartphone. There are very few people who think long term anymore. We should learn from this to think long term and being prepared for every eventuality is paramount.

That would mean a very boring, prudent fairly **** life. It might be for some people but I'd prefer to take the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Putin has been very quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Its accumulative. Richard Chambers confirmed this the other night, just like the hospitalized figure.

How many have recovered sufficiently to come out of ICU?....or are all 88 still in ICU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Dr. Bre wrote: »

In cohorts with CHI
    NA.

Hard to talk and be understood these days......

507468.jpg

• Advertisement

So you think that all the deaths are being basically concentrated in March, and then the mortality will be lower than normal in the coming months.So the overall mortality rate for the year will just be normal, despite the pandemic. I get it, I just think it is far fetched, and very likely will not be what happens

I didnt say I agreed with it, I was just explaining what the person outlined on the radio interview. If this comes under control be September then by probability the mortality rate will drop as there are less people to die. Do I think the same amount of people will die anyway, no I do not. The average rate will be much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

In cohorts with CHI
    NA.

Seriously where do you people come from? What's Putin got to do with the outbreak in China? And why shouldn't he be quiet? Whats he going to say about US and western incompetence?.

Its like trailer park America in here.

There's a clear link between the Trump supporters and the attacks on both China and Irish handling of this. The doom merchants for Ireland who think the government didn't act quickly are often cheer leaders for the orange buffoon.

I didnt say I agreed with it, I was just explaining what the person outlined on the radio interview. If this comes under control be September then by probability the mortality rate will drop as there are less people to die. Do I think the same amount of people will die anyway, no I do not. The average rate will be much higher.

I agree the death rate will be lower by then but itll be because of cocooning and not the fact that the virus has killed such a high proportion of the at risk groups by then that there is nobody left for the virus to kill. There will always be a huge proportion of the population who are highly vulnerable, the number of deaths no matter how high, even in a worst case scenario, will still only kill a relatively small chunk of this population

10-15% of the population are 'at risk'(people of any age with chronic illnesses and healthy people over 65) from this virus and a further 10% are 'highly vulnerable' (over 65 with comorbidities)

So some have left? That's not a very useful figure?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

With both China and Russia sealing their borders, I have had an incredibly dark thought as to why that might be. Best left for a conspiracy thread, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,620 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Has the plane landed yet , loaded ? On its way back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

cj maxx wrote: »
    Has the plane landed yet , loaded ? On its way back?

It's about an hour and a half away. https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9019/244a4bcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Quelle surprise!!!

They can stick that up their arse for a start. Not a chance or we may as all sign up to be Chinese citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Lavinia wrote: »

everything the HSE do is telling us what will happen in the future nothing about what will happen now. We dont know how many have been tested or how many tests there are per day. They seem more at home with spin than with doing things.

When the plane lands with the gear at the airport it will be like the HSE have found a cure, their media spin will be off the charts.

cnocbui wrote: »
    With both China and Russia sealing their borders, I have had an incredibly dark thought as to why that might be. Best left for a conspiracy thread, though.

Yes, millions of people are dying and not paying their mobile bills. We've had that. There's no evidence of that from social media in those countries but that might be because all of the people with smart phones died. Thats my theory anyhoo. Maybe billions have died. Maybe trillions. Who can tell with Commies.

I think the lockdown didn't work in Wuhan. In fact they may not have even had a lockdown, it was all CGI. Alternatively I believe that they did this to attack the west and started with their own people but they knew their own people wouldn't get it, so nobody has it in China. We should nuke them.

Ill now retire to the trailer and put on some country n western.

MAGA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

coastwatch wrote: »
    Is there is any sharing of experience, lessons learned or effective treatments so far, between frontline medical professionals around the world?

Good question and while not completely systematic, yes there is plenty of that sort of think going on

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

paul71 wrote: »
    The 3rd to Join the hall of shame for spitting at Gardai, take a bow Ms Healey from Ballyfermot. Denied bail.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-charged-with-assaulting-garda-after-allegedly-spitting-in-his-face-and-threatening-to-give-him-coronavirus-39084237.html

I hear there was another in Cork yesterday. This behaviour is now making headlines abroad.
    Very little to do with COVID-19, that type of scumbag does it to gardai and emergency worker all the time.

I've witness a number of public order arrests of the type over the years and they have increasingly involved the foulest curses, physical threats, attempted assault, and voluminous spitting.

Previously it just has never been prosecuted as is should have been, and tolerated behaviour becomes normalised over time.

As a state we have tolerated assaults on gardai and emergency services, never stamping down on the perpetrators.

everything the HSE do is telling us what will happen in the future nothing about what will happen now. We dont know how many have been tested or how many tests there are per day. They seem more at home with spin than with doing things.

When the plance lands with the gear at the airport it will be like the HSE have invented a cure their media spin will be off the charts.

Genuinely think Simon Harris is showing real leadership during this. His daily updates are great. Whatever about why we are in this situation and the blame game. We are in the sh!t. I've been very impressed by him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭zell12

DailyMail quoting unnamed senior minister as saying schools off until Sept at least, country will still not be back to normal by then,
    lockdown will be extended for another few weeks
    IRISH-MAIL-ON-SUNDAY-PAGE-ONE-29.3.20.jpg

yep, you wear one out painting and noone bats an eyelid. You enter a packed supermarket wearing one during the most serious and deadly and contagious virus threat in the history of the republic of ireland and suddenly you're getting notions. Though I think in the past week or two people are finally starting to get it - very few wearing masks still though.

The problem is there are very few available. And those that are are expensive, I was quoted 5 euro yesterday in a pharmacy for a single use mask. Eventually we will need to get these down to 20 packs for a euro, but carers take first responsibilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Genuinely think Simon Harris is showing real leadership during this. His daily updates are great. Whatever about why we are in this situation and the blame game. We are in the sh!t. I've been very impressed by him.

If his updates are so good, how many people have been tested and results processed, how many tests are we now doing per day? This is a basic process that WHO says should be part of the reaction to the virus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Inside today's Daily Mail in the UK.

Even by their standards, this is shocking.

507469.jpg

zell12 wrote: »
    DailyMail quoting unnamed senior minister as saying schools off until Sept at least, country will still not be back to normal by then,

They were never coming back, Leo mentioned the coming surge on the 17th, which he expected about now. So pushing the date to the 29th was always temporary, and clearly going to be updated. I am not sure what LC students are going to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

One of the advisors already came out today and said he expects lockdown to last til June, which sounds about right. It's not a secret. Boris letter will probably outline this too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

the knobcheeses spitting and coughing at nurses gardai elderly and anyone should be BATTERED, literally.

*and possibly deep-fried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

They're trying to convert us to British style tabloidism. They can foff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

voluntary wrote: »
    I would honestly feel much safer going shopping if everyone around wore masks. Sneeze <8 meters away can pass you the virus the new research shows. If everyone wore masks sneezing or coughing in public wouldn't be that scary. Even healthy people sneeze on occasion.

Ah yeah - 'new research'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement