Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's hard to say anything positive when they a have reacted too late to this outbreak and are not doing the basic testing. They seem now to have run out of kits so I suppose they will have to come clean about that. They however will tell us that next week we will be testing 10000 per day and you can feel happy about that. I believe that the doctors and nurses are going to do the best they can but if the HSE continue to hide what is going on it will be difficult for them.

Nobody's perfect. However, when compared to most other countries, I'm proud of the HSE, our Public Service and the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

How many specifically cargo aircraft do Aer Lingus actually have? Not many I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭SwordofLight

Just a tad ironic that this virus originated in China and nobody wanted anything to do with China for a few weeks and now I see we are reliant on them shipping us PPE etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fritzelly wrote: »
    Has talk about masks not been done to death, petty squabbling at this stage

I don't want to go back reading pages and pages and I don't think it was mentioned how much masks someone might go through if they're sick. I'm making my own but don't know how much to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Where did the HSE/our government/authorities source the incoming PPE? I know it's coming from china but is the source genuine?

Will some boxes be opened asap for some sort of a quality check?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Stewball wrote: »
    I don't have much faith in him.

After hearing the news yesterday that the virus is rampant in nursing homes and only a couple weeks ago he was criticising some nursing homes for implementing visitor bans.

Imagine if they listened to him and lifted their bans....

Harris was going by what the HSE advice was at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

• Masks don't work.
    • Pandemic is low risk.
    • Paddy's day parade is a constitutional right.
    • Old people die anyway.
    • Go fetish someone else please.

I dont know who's points they are, but they're certainly not mine. Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

It's hard to say anything positive when they a have reacted too late to this outbreak and are not doing the basic testing. They seem now to have run out of kits so I suppose they will have to come clean about that. They however will tell us that next week we will be testing 10000 per day and you can feel happy about that. I believe that the doctors and nurses are going to do the best they can but if the HSE continue to hide what is going on it will be difficult for them.
    I think you need a test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Just a tad ironic that this virus originated in China and nobody wanted anything to do with China for a few weeks and now I see we are reliant on them shipping us PPE etc

What do you mean "nobody wanted anything to do with China for a few weeks"?

I'll agree it was ironic that Trump was slamming them while relying on them, but then Trump's gonna Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Nobody's perfect. However, when compared to most other countries, I'm proud of the HSE, our Public Service and the government.

Nobody is perfect that is true but how come we have now suspended testing at many centers? How come there are no figures for the amount that have been tested and are being tested per day. How do you know we are testing more than other countries if we have no official numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

I don't want to go back reading pages and pages and I don't think it was mentioned how much masks someone might go through if they're sick. I'm making my own but don't know how much to make.
    Loads of stuff on YouTube, patterns, materials, gotchas etc.

he doesn't even have to say anything - people now can see incompetence of liberal elites without any help

And theres another one. The Venn diagram of Brexit wanters, Trumpists, far right wingers and lockdown lovers must be something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

They're not sending it for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Does 10000 cases by mid April sound plausible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anything positive to say about the HSE/Government/ Ireland/the Universe? Anything at all?

It’s remarkable how some people just want to complain about everything. We are in a crisis scenario, what is there to like? This is all about the least worse outcome being achieved with the limited resources we have (that everybody else in the world is also trying to get).

There is no conspiracy, we are in a crisis that most countries are struggling to manage. Resources will be stretched and we will have to make decisions based on the resources we have, not the imaginary resources people who excel at hindsight think we should of had.

For me the most important thing is that it looks like , so far, our government/authorities has tried to stay two steps ahead of this with as much testing as they can do and by slowly implementing measures in stages (whereas other countries left it too late and made severe restrictions quicker).

You do wonder how many have an agenda to try and undermine what our authorities are trying to do and who will complain regardless of what happens. Then changing the test criteria to focus more on obvious cases made sense, particularly if they were running short on tests but still some people complained.

Overall, very happy with our government and authorities. I spent a lot more time in earlier threads when I had huge issues with Ireland’s slow response. Since the Parade was cancelled I’ve been more relaxed and feeling less need to be in here where there appears to be an awful lot of lost souls with nothing better to do then point out all that’s wrong.

owlbethere wrote: »
    Where did the HSE/our government/authorities source the incoming PPE? I know it's coming from china but is the source genuine?

The flight hasn`t landed at Dublin Airport yet. If the equipment is faulty it will come to light soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

owlbethere wrote: »

Arrangements were made with close cooperation from the chinese embassy here. There should be more of a chance of all being OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If your sick why do you need masks, stay the feck at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Logan Roy wrote: »
    You don't just find lots of cargo planes lying around....
    i thought that was what Ireland was known for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Nobody is perfect that is true but how come we have now suspended testing at many centers? How come there are no figures for the amount that have been tested and are being tested per day. How do you know we are testing more than other countries if we have no official numbers?

How come you keep annoying us with the same questions that there are no answers for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Blueshoe wrote: »
    If they took the seats out they could have carried more. I'd imagine the hull is packed too so maybe they are at capacity. Still would have gotten more in without the seats although perhaps if they were to experience turbulence the packages needed to be anchored down.
    Yes good point. Arguing with myself now. Yes
    A plane has a limit of how much weight it can safely carry. Possibly they are at that limit and sure by taking out the seats they could have replaced the seat weight with cargo weight, but maybe the cost and trouble were not worth it for the increase in cargo weight when they can just send more planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

can you point me to the official numbers for that claim.

5k a day is mentioned on today's rte tracker. If you look back on rte player for rte news now around 11-11:30 I'm sure you can watch the press conference.

2000 tests a day was mentioned on Tuesday evening's press conference I think there's quotes here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-test-backlog-how-did-it-emerge-and-can-it-be-controlled-1.4210269%3fmode=amp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blueshoe wrote: »
    If they took the seats out they could have carried more.
    From what I was told by someone directly involved with those flights they did take seats out. They're designed to be removed quite easily.
    FVP3 wrote: »
    Seriously where do you people come from? What's Putin got to do with the outbreak in China? And why shouldn't he be quiet? Whats he going to say about US and western incompetence?.

Its like trailer park America in here.

There's a clear link between the Trump supporters and the attacks on both China and Irish handling of this. The doom merchants for Ireland who think the government didn't act quickly are often cheer leaders for the orange buffoon.
    Well I think Trump is a dangerous thundering idiot, a snake oil salesman that has hijacked too many American's minds. I can't imagine a worse person to be in charge of a crisis like this and because of him many many Americans will die that shouldn't have.

I think Ireland is handling this extremely well and our demographics, population density and overall social compliance will IMHO make this one of the better western nations to be in to weather this emergency. Hell we're the only country in Europe that can still feed our population locally. Not too bad for a nation that once nearly starved to death. The government and the health service have so far played a blinder and our losses, though personally sad are still very low. I'd certainly much rather be living here than anywhere else in Europe I can think of.

Yet I think China specifically the Chinese government are a bunch of lying corrupt face saving bastards overseeing a totalitarian Orwellian state with a low value for human life, once it's not their own or their friends in the system.

So how does that work for your China is Great defence playbook?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Stark reminder that a large percentage of the Irish population are hypochondriacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Drumpot wrote: »
    It’s remarkable how some people just want to complain about everything.

There is no conspiracy, we are in a crisis that most countries are struggling to manage. Resources will be stretched and we will have to make decisions based on the resources we have, not the imaginary resources people who excel at hindsight think we should of had.

For me the most important thing is that it looks like , so far, our government/authorities has tried to stay two steps ahead of this with as much testing as they can do and by slowly implementing measures in stages (whereas other countries left it too late and made severe restrictions quicker).

You do wonder how many have an agenda to try and undermine what our authorities are trying to do and who will complain regardless of what happens. Then changing the test criteria to focus more on obvious cases made sense, particularly if they were running short on tests but still some people complained.

Overall, very happy with our government and authorities. I spent a lot more time in earlier threads when I had huge issues with Ireland’s slow response. Since the Parade was cancelled I’ve been more relaxed and feeling less need to be in here where there appears to be an awful lot of lost souls with nothing better to do then point out all that’s wrong.

Agree. It is one of the most important things in society that public bodies are criticized and taken apart when they do something wrong.

What is not helpful is fake bull**** posing as criticism when things have been done well, that is just toxic and potentially harmful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Stark reminder that a large percentage of the Irish population are hypochondriacs.
    the CMO admitted they got it wrong by telling people with only one symptom to go for testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Fine Gael seeing a 14 point jump in the polls.
    Johnson in the UK is also polling well.
    Even trump's approval rating is up.

It seems like just about every government around the world, bar some notable exceptions, is doing well in the polls.

I think it's all caused by the same human feature - denial.
    Countless people are telling themselves "oh I think they're doing a great job" simply because the alternative is too scary to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Maybe to stop infection spreading to people you live with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

The scenes in India are worrying. 10s of thousands crammed together trying to get on to buses and trains only to spread the virus to remote villages with no medical facilities. Incredibly badly handled and it's being replicated across the developing world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062806&page=61

That is from another thread. Its pretty obvious that the testing system is not fit for purpose but the government don't want to tell people. They need to be clear if things are not working out but the HSE have a history of cover ups.

This is the real reason for restricting the criteria they don't have enough reagent for the test kits or perhaps the new testing kits they got were dodgy or didnt include the reagent!!

All questions about the new criteria were deflected with the new spin that are testing regime is one the highest in the world

Spin Spin Spin is all we get when all we are asking for is transparency every supplychain issue can easily be answered by referring to worldwide shortage the public can accept that .... but the Public can not be trusted with this information

The HSE/ Dept of Health / Health Minister/ CMO etc etc clearly knew that supplies of testing kits were running low ..... we had Doctors using Twitter to urge any medical practices with spare kits even ones past their expiry date to return them to St Vincents Hospital

but nobody taught to tell the public,the anxious people awaiting tests of this supply issue.... to stand down the staff manning these testing stations and redirect them to more urgent areas or simply give them the day off

Drop the Spin Simon, Leo, HSE, Dept of Health just be honest with us

the CMO admitted they got it wrong by telling people with only one symptom to go for testing

If the percentage of positives after that advice changes, I'll admit I was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hrududu wrote: »
    Maybe to stop infection spreading to people you live with?

Too late if your already infected and living with them, listen to what Dr Holohan said

walshb wrote: »

In reality we are above that figure right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

gabeeg wrote: »

It seems like just about every government around the world, bar some notable exceptions, is doing well in the polls.

Countless people are telling themselves "oh I think they're doing a great job" simply because the alternative is too scary to handle.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

walshb wrote: »

Who the fuçk knows. We don't have anything remotely close to sufficient testing capability in this country. I don't hugely blame the Department for Health for that, we were caught out by a situation we had no experience of and we didn't prepare well enough. It's understandable. But it means our case numbers are pretty much meaningless because we truly have nothing close to an accurate idea of infection rates or an accurate idea of what are the most occurring symptoms in mild cases. It means we are fully reliant on extremely blunt measures to slow the spread. And it means that the only figures we have to have any idea about how bad things are is our ICU admissions rate. But we haven't any real way to model growth of ICU need because we haven't clue how widespread the virus is.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

What's tourism like in Ireland during January - March? I'd suspect low. I think this was an advantage Ireland and the likes of Sweden, Denmark and Norway have. Little in the way of seeding. You almost certainly won't see an Italy/Spain style outbreak in any of these countries. Although Sweden seems to be taking quite a lax attitude and may pay for it through community spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Eh, to prevent other people I'm living with from getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Biblical scenes from India on Sky News , as millions of migrant workers head back to their villages before the internal borders of India lock down.

Yes. You read that right. They’re closing India’s internal borders. It’s like sealing off Dublin and Cork to prevent the Corona spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

gabeeg wrote: »

It's human nature and the "war time president" effect in every country in practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Right now, I am really banking on the competitiveness of scientists (which many are) to drive the research in coronavirus. Whoever makes the big breakthrough will be a hero. C’mon, scientists, let your egos push you! You know you want that acclaim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

iguana wrote: »
    Who the fuçk knows. We don't have anything remotely close to sufficient testing capability in this country. I don't hugely blame the Department for Health for that, we were caught out by a situation we had no experience of and we didn't prepare well enough. It's understandable. But it means our case numbers are pretty much meaningless because we truly have nothing close to an accurate idea of infection rates or an accurate idea of what are the most occurring symptoms in mild cases. It means we are fully reliant on extremely blunt measures to slow the spread. And it means that the only figures we have to have any idea about how bad things are is our ICU admissions rate. But we haven't any real way to model growth of ICU need because we haven't clue how widespread the virus is.

Whenever this ends, the only stat that will be remembered, and rightly so, is total deaths. Hopefully we can still reduce that count, with or without test kits. Stay in and you won't have to be tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who didn't want anything to do with them?

Also they're not shipping them to us? We bought them.

It's a business transaction, simple.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    If they would have died now anyway, then the mortality rate in Lombardy would not be five times higher than normal for this time of year. How is that so hard to understand? Some posters seem to go to great lengths to minimse what is a very serious issue

How hard is it for you to understand that they wont be alive to die during the year when they usually would have?

And you dont have to take an anonymous Boards poster (my) word for it, try the experts. And I'll do the same with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

why didn't the government use a cargo plane for the PPE cargo rather then a passenger plane? EURWXTaWkAA0Hfs?format=jpg&name=medium

That top picture is not of an EI flight. Has been doing the rounds on social media.

It's a Lufthansa flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Too late if your already infected and living with them, listen to what Dr Holohan said

Not really. I know someone who was diagnosed and his wife and kids have no symptoms. This is about a week post confirmation. Maybe they’ll get it, maybe not. But I wouldn’t assume that everyone in a house will get it if one does.

So what if I need to go to hospital, surely wearing a face mask then is needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

But it's not wrong to test as many people as possible. That's exactly the right thing to do. What they got wrong was not having a fraction of the necessary testing capability. When they couldn't hide that, they didn't hold their hands up and say, 'sorry, we can't test like we should so we have to triage people waiting for tests far more stringently.' They just made out that it was the fault of the people with symptoms.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement