Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Hopefully we didn't get them from the same factory in China.

The Dutch government has launched a recall of 100,000s of masks purchased from China because they do not meet quality standards and offer inadequate protection.

https://twitter.com/adrianzenz/status/1243992460839321600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »
    Sisters neighbours having BBQ/ party. A number of guests visiting. Small estate with communal parking. She's raging. Most of neighbours have been very good, not mixing physically, a mix of families with small kids and older retirees that usually have good rapport. These neighbours having party just moved in before Xmas and are an unknown entity. I think it's very irresponsible.

Has she reported them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A little bit of music from me as part of the social isolating thing. :) A video I made from Ireland for the group can't seem to post it. https://www.facebook.com/niall.mcquaid.7/posts/10218968526298312?comment_id=10218968575779549&reply_comment_id=10218968584099757&notif_id=1585491540920610&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

An absolute must watch from start to finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sisters neighbours having BBQ/ party. A number of guests visiting. Small estate with communal parking. She's raging. Most of neighbours have been very good, not mixing physically, a mix of families with small kids and older retirees that usually have good rapport. These neighbours having party just moved in before Xmas and are an unknown entity. I think it's very irresponsible.

Ring the Gards, you might save someone's life or even alot from serious illness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Still no official death toll from the Tiananmen Square protests over thirty years later. No I wouldn't accept their figures either.

Yeah you wouldn't have been able to tell how many people were killed there as they crushed them with tanks and washed the remains down the sewers. Horrific stuff

Have a bad feeling about this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Still no official death toll from the Tiananmen Square protests over thirty years later. No I wouldn't accept their figures either.

Indeed.

Although one query I have about the situation in China is regarding the WHO. Surely they have "boots on the ground" there, so would they be complicit in a cover up in China?

Still it is very suspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The surge in support for FG shows that if you do a really bad job and do very little to stop a virus taking hold of a country, it has political benefits.
    The crisis can be used to brainwash people when they had and are doing a bad job.
    It is a reward for the failure that has led us to this position.
    Not enough ICU beds, medical equipment, PPE etc, but they talk well, lets forget they helped make this happen through inaction...

The same is happening in other countries, failure is being rewarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

1200 ICU beds is a fantastic number. Hopefully we won't come anywhere near to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So has anybody used the free postcards that An Post delivered during the week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Strazdas wrote: »
    The suspicion would be with these young people sadly dying that they have undiagnosed medical problems and were not as healthy as they appeared.

It says in the article he had psoriasis, most treatments are immunosuppressive

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

The last week the media were saying we're going to do 15,000 tests per day from this week. This week just ends today and I'm reading only around 5,000 tests per day is being done. What happened to the additional planned 10,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

bilston wrote: »
    Sounds like elements within the UK govt are attempting to make political capital over the decision to allow Huawei into the UK 5G network.

That said there can't be many of us who really believe the Chinese statistics.

I'd like to see why people don't believe that what the Chinese enforced didn't or wouldn't work, because if it didn't work then we may all as well go back to normal, high fiving each other along the street and licking the railings to get it over with.

If the Wuhan lockdown didn't work to reduce the spread, nothing will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

They were horrible, weren't they? Big cardboard cutouts.

I hope someone is calling the cops

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/wuhan-deaths-03272020182846.html/ampRFA
    Based on cremation rates, deaths from COVID 19 in Wuhan may be as high as 40,000

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-boris-johnsons-government-reportedly-furious-with-china-2020-3?utm_source=reddit.com&r=US&IR=T
    British government believe cases in China may be 40 times higher than official figures
    RFA is a US State Department propaganda operation.

Source for the UK's Mail ws unnamed officials, source for BusinessInsider's was Mail, BusinessInsider is an Axel Springer publication, classic propaganda playbook.

US and UK attempting to transfer attention from their own failures to China.

voluntary wrote: »
    The last week the media were saying we're going to do 15,000 tests per day from this week. This week just ends today and I'm reading only around 5,000 tests per day is being done. What happened to the additional planned 10,000?
    They said in the coming weeks. It wouldn't be possible to go from 1500 a day to 15000 a day in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I never got that or the booklet.

Anyone else not get them?

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Ralphyroo wrote: »
    It says in the article he had psoriasis, most treatments are immunosuppressive

If psoriasis counts as an underlying condition, then we're all f*cked. I've got sinus issues and take a steroid nasal spray, but discontinued use as soon as the first case was confirmed in the UK. Got my wits about me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭1882

So if I lost my job on 17th March and didn’t receive payment this week I should get 700 on Tuesday?
    There's a thread for that...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058064458/28/#post112987788

The Gardai should be called immediately. I went for a walk near my home earlier and a Garda drove past and stopped to ask me where I was heading. They have no right to be having a party right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My mother just told me she was in Tesco yesterday and was chatting to the cashier when a couple of men paid for a few items and LICKED the notes before handing them to the cashier. POND SCUM. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

So somewhere around 2x as deadly as flu.

Death rate of flu is about 0.2%
    Death rate of Covid-19 is about 3%

Dr. Fauci is not very good at mathematics if he thinks that 3% is twice 0.2%

Also far more people are likely to get Covid-19 than flu given that the R0 of seasonal flu is between 0.9–2.1, and Covid-19 is 1.4–3.9.

This information is easily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bekker wrote: »
    RFA is a US State Department propaganda operation.

Source for the UK's Mail ws unnamed officials, source for BusinessInsider's was Mail, BusinessInsider is an Axel Springer publication, classic propaganda playbook.

I think there is enough evidence that China is playing fast and loose with its numbers, they don't count asymptomatic positives for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I asked this question last night. Does flu have the same complications as COVID-19. I.e. Do most people who die of the flu end up with breathing difficulties and pneumonia thus need ventilation or do they die of other complications?
    The flu virus itself can cause death because the lungs become inflamed. Inflammation is the body's natural response to infection. Severe inflammation of the lungs causes respiratory failure and the patient dies without medical intervention.

Pneumonia can occur after a person has had a cold or the flu. In this case it's generally a bacterial infection which can be treated with antibiotics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

My mother just told me she was in Tesco yesterday and was chatting to the cashier when a couple of men paid for a few items and LICKED the notes before handing them to the cashier. POND SCUM. :mad::mad::mad:

Disgusting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

everything the HSE do is telling us what will happen in the future nothing about what will happen now. We dont know how many have been tested or how many tests there are per day. They seem more at home with spin than with doing things.

When the plane lands with the gear at the airport it will be like the HSE have found a cure, their media spin will be off the charts.

If you watched their press conference this morning you'd now know how many are awaiting tests and the number done daily. They were very clear and precise about it. And they spoke openly about the PPE supply issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bekker wrote: »
    They're all at it, US, UK, China. All with longer histories than most when it comes to "massaging" the truth and spreading guff. To western eyes the Chinese are amateur hour at it, mainly because we got used to spotting more honed propaganda from places like the US and the Chinese were easier to convince within China for so long, so they could be clumsy and still get away with it. Or "disappear" questioners.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Death rate of flu is about 0.2%
    Death rate of Covid-19 is about 3%

Dr. Fauci is not very good at mathematics if he thinks that 3% is twice 0.2%

Also far more people are likely to get Covid-19 than flu given that the R0 of seasonal flu is between 0.9–2.1, and Covid-19 is 1.4–3.9.

This information is easily available.

It will be nowhere near that once the dust settles. I think South Korea is at 0.4%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

bilston wrote: »
    Sounds like elements within the UK govt are attempting to make political capital over the decision to allow Huawei into the UK 5G network.

That said there can't be many of us who really believe the Chinese statistics.

Any government that isn't seriously reassessing their relationship with China at the moment is craven.

Ireland should be among a bloc of European countries getting tough on the CCP. As their global ambitions for economic hegemony grow, their behaviour will come into focus even more. I think it's time for pushback.

Sounds like the Corona virus challenge, for people with no morals, sense or deserving of a place in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

branie2 wrote: »
    Disgusting!

There's ample security in Tesco's these days. The cashier should have had the common sense to call the manager who in turn would have called security and Gardai.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

whiskeyman wrote: »

I assume that everybody will receive them over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

whiskeyman wrote: »

I didn't get them, North Dublin, don't want them either, total waste of time and resources .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

RobertKK wrote: »
    The surge in support for FG shows that if you do a really bad job and do very little to stop a virus taking hold of a country, it has political benefits.
    The crisis can be used to brainwash people when they had and are doing a bad job.
    It is a reward for the failure that has led us to this position.
    Not enough ICU beds, medical equipment, PPE etc, but they talk well, lets forget they helped make this happen through inaction...

The same is happening in other countries, failure is being rewarded.

Yes they didn't do a great job looking after healthcare.
    Yes they didn't invest more.

But how they've handled this crisis has been excellent in my opinion.
    So many working tirelessly. Harris, who I wasn't a big fan of before, has risen massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

beolight wrote: »
    This is the real reason for restricting the criteria they don't have enough reagent for the test kits or perhaps the new testing kits they got were dodgy or didnt include the reagent!!

All questions about the new criteria were deflected with the new spin that are testing regime is one the highest in the world

Spin Spin Spin is all we get when all we are asking for is transparency every supplychain issue can easily be answered by referring to worldwide shortage the public can accept that .... but the Public can not be trusted with this information

The HSE/ Dept of Health / Health Minister/ CMO etc etc clearly knew that supplies of testing kits were running low ..... we had Doctors using Twitter to urge any medical practices with spare kits even ones past their expiry date to return them to St Vincents Hospital

but nobody taught to tell the public,the anxious people awaiting tests of this supply issue.... to stand down the staff manning these testing stations and redirect them to more urgent areas or simply give them the day off

Drop the Spin Simon, Leo, HSE, Dept of Health just be honest with us

It's too easy to retrospectively poke holes in decisions that are/were made under pressure.

Your analysis is ultimately correct. But a decision was taken based on the information available at hand.

But, I am personally relieved that you are poking holes in decisions being made at this level of details. Things would be a lot worse if were trying to poke holes in BoJo/Trump type decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Marsden35 wrote: »
    It will be nowhere near that once the dust settles. I think South Korea is at 0.4%

Currently the death rate in Italy is 10%.

I think 3% is a decent figure for the moment, based on the widest data currently available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I see a poster whining about how the Government is handling this crisis. All I can say is I would rather be here than in the UK or the USA. Yes the Government have made mistakes but the said poster also omitted the extent to which idiotic behaviour by people, i.e. going to cheltenham, also contributed to the crisis we are living through. I think our Government is doing right by the country and us as a people.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Any government that isn't seriously reassessing their relationship with China at the moment is craven.

Ireland should be among a bloc of European countries getting tough on the CCP. As their global ambitions for economic hegemony grow, their behaviour will come into focus even more. I think it's time for pushback.

Ireland is just buying more from them...PPE.

The Netherlands bought PPE from China which was defective, Ireland is buying hundreds of millions of euro worth...quality better be checked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

regedit wrote: »
    There's ample security in Tesco's these days. The cashier should have had the common sense to call the manager who in turn would have called security and Gardai.
    and beaten them to a quivering pulp. Slight tweak on my part.. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

regedit wrote: »

Should have refused to take the money, banned for life too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Something like over 50000 die from flu in the US.

For context:

Influenza - estimated 650,000 deaths per year

Asian Flu - estimated 2 million deaths

Encephalitis lethargica - estimated 1.5 million deaths

Swine Flu - estimated between 150 and 500,000 deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That's exactly what we need, an ego driving research, a claim been pushed through without adequate testing or, worse, hidden side-effects, fast-tracked FDA approval, and the same 97% of non-postivie test recipients lining to be injected by whatever it is that the mad pharma/scientist wanted to be first to market with.

Ego drives a lot of research always. The scientist driven solely by altruism is a sweet thought but isn’t really the reality. Make no mistake, scientists are competitive and can be as cutthroat as anyone else. It’s a good thing. It means that they pour over each other’s work looking for mistakes. It’s a kind of self-regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

An absolute must watch from start to finish...

That Asian humbleness seems to have served them well. The bit I took out of it was, in the Western world we all should be wearing masks even if we don't have covid19. And the Western doctors were wrong when they said it does not make a difference.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Marsden35 wrote: »
    If psoriasis counts as an underlying condition, then we're all f*cked. I've got sinus issues and take a steroid nasal spray, but discontinued use as soon as the first case was confirmed in the UK. Got my wits about me ;)

Psoriasis/Psoriatic Arthritis is often treated with biologics and/or methotrexate. Both of which are immunosuppressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

holyhead wrote: »
    I see a poster whining about how the Government is handling this crisis. All I can say is I would rather be here than in the UK or the USA. Yes the Government have made mistakes but the said poster also omitted the extent to which idiotic behaviour by people, i.e. going to cheltenham, also contributed to the crisis we are living through. I think our Government is doing right by the country and us as a people.

Every 20 posts or so someone compares the U.K. to Ireland. The two cannot be compared different population sizes and density. No idea about Cheltenham but the first case in Northern Ireland travelled through Dublin airport as Ireland had not closed it's border. There is no right or wrong approach in this crisis. These comparisons are not helpful. Edit: What I mean is the WHO has stated that inaction has been the worst thing that any country can do the failure to have any type of plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So somewhere around 2x as deadly as flu.

Dunno what flu stats you were looking at?
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
    12000-60,000 deaths in the US from flu annually. Significantly more than twice as deadly as flu going by the 100-200k death estimate form the coronavirus pandemic in the US. So between a minimum of 3x times and up to 16x times as deadly, thats with major interventions to stop the spread

holyhead wrote: »

What advice did the government issue on Cheltenham?

What did the government do to stop Irish horse trainers taking their horses to Cheltenham?

Nothing because the government allowed this crisis to be much worse than necessary.

Like saying it was fine for thousands of Italians to enter the country unscreened during the Ireland v Italy match that was called off.

Simon Harris :
    RESTRICTING FLIGHTS ARRIVING from northern Italy “wouldn’t be effective”, according to Health Minister Simon Harris.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-travel-5032358-Mar2020/

It took Ryanair and Aer Lingus to stop the flights. It is not like they couldn't have been put into 14 days quarantine.
    But Simon Harris is doing a great job...yes contribute to the crisis and then have all the people who are asleep praising him.
    Speaking about why the Italy versus Ireland Six Nations game was called off, but the restriction of flights from Italy has not been announced, Harris said suspending the rugby game was a specific decision made due to it involving a large number of people from the affected area congregating in confined space for a prolonged period of time.

He said there is not the same risk with people travelling from areas of Italy who are “out and about” in open spaces, adding that there is no travel ban currently in the EU.

• Advertisement

So you'd have no issue at all if your entire family is wiped out in a fortnight? What's the point of living at all in that case?

For some people money is life.

My dad did work on a stockbrokers house in the late 70s early 80s, an apprentice on the job asked him for tips on making money and the broker told him to take his tools and throw them in the nearest river as he would only make it by buying and selling.

I don't know what happened to the apprentice apart from he emigrated to Australia, but the broker ended up killing himself after his investments went tits up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement