Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

A shortage off PPE during a global pandemic?

Who would have thought it ay.

Same as most countries.

Not enough ICU beds during a global pandemic?

They should have seen it coming ay.

Like most countries.

Oh wait most countries didn't either.
    Here's the UK's report:
    Exclusive: Ministers were warned that the NHS could not cope with a pandemic three years ago but 'terrifying' results were kept secret
    Ministers were informed three years ago that Britain would be quickly overwhelmed by a severe outbreak
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/28/exclusive-ministers-warned-nhs-could-not-cope-pandemic-three/

Now you tell me, where is the HSE report of same?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »
    Sisters neighbours having BBQ/ party. A number of guests visiting. Small estate with communal parking. She's raging. Most of neighbours have been very good, not mixing physically, a mix of families with small kids and older retirees that usually have good rapport. These neighbours having party just moved in before Xmas and are an unknown entity. I think it's very irresponsible.

Call the guards on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Derbyshire police are in crackdown mode. They're using drones to spot people out for a walk in the Peak District. They took their reg plate numbers and traced them back to Sheffield which is a 30 minute drive away

https://twitter.com/DerbysPolice/status/1243168931503882241

A few Hellfire missiles will send the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

maninasia wrote: »
    The EU pushed hard to keep borders and flights open with the EU. They led to the virus spreading very rapidly out of Northern Italy..
    That now they have no answer to the desperate need for PPE shows the problems in the EU in a very concrete form.

The Irish government made a huge mistake in not stopping flights from Italy earlier even though it was a known epidemic center .....Even now they allow flights to come in with no quarantine tracking of individuals. I look on from outside in disbelief.

Well we also tend to forget that the EU is about the size or the British Home Office, has basically a small budget that we all bicker over and almost no powers in any meaningful areas. It’s a coordination body primarily and not a federal government.

Most of the notions that it is some super powerful federal government come from paranoid U.K. tabloids who wanted to paint a monster. The reality is that it’s just the collective will of the 27 members and they have never been willing to pool serious resources on health, security or civil defence.

The EU has some financial tools, particularly through the ECB and potentially Eurobonds, but solidarity is weak and there’s a cohort of fair weather friends in Germany, NL and so on and also those who would wish to troll the EU and are more comfortable with Putin in the authoritarian eastern fringes.

So frankly, the EU is just a reflection of its members and their screwy politics and lack of solidarity.

It has managed to keep goods and supply chains running, which is important but it needs to step up to dealing with this and more so the EU member states need to support one another on this.

Europe is potentially able to solve this but we won’t if some of us adopt the policy or sneering at each other and lecturing from upon shaker, water logged moral high grounds.

To be quite honest, and I say that as an Irishman from a country with similar tax policies, the NL has no business lecturing anyone. It’s a tax haven living off the spoils of being a gateway to and from the single market. Lecturing Portugal as their finance minister did yesterday was an absolute disgrace. I’m really unimpressed.

As for Ireland not doing more to deal with to fights. We got into deer caught in headlights mode and didn’t react. There’s nothing stopping us from suspending passenger flights or imposing quarantine. The EU concern was really only that goods keep moving so nobody starves and economies don’t collapse. There is ample scope to impose all sorts of measures in extreme circumstances for health and national security. We are also not even in the Schengen area, so it was even less complicated.

We seemed to wait for a consensus to emerge and did not act. That one is on our government, not the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sorry but I completely disagree with you. The virus was likely in this country long before the first confirmed case was reported. The reaction cannot be compared to foot and mouth also. It is much easier to control animals than humans who have significant rights. Also, animals had to be culled during the foot and mouth outbreak, imagine trying to propose that for humans.

Humans only have three ways into the Republic of Ireland:
    Crossing the border which can be manned by the army.
    Airports
    Sea

Only difference with the animals is airports were not used.

The animals were culled in areas where there was a lockdown as they could not be used for human or animal consumption.
    Nearly all of the country avoided this virus getting out of control, it was far better than Simon Harris's it was fine for Italians from hotspots in Italy to be "out and about" in Dublin.
    Dublin now a hotspot in Ireland.
    With this virus it was very lax as if they wanted it to spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

RobertKK wrote: »
    Humans only have three ways into the Republic of Ireland:
    Crossing the border which can be manned by the army.
    Airports
    Sea

Only difference with the animals is airports were not used.

The animals were culled in areas where there was a lockdown as they could not be used for human or animal consumption.
    Nearly all of the country avoided this virus getting out of control, it was far better than Simon Harris's it was fine for Italians from hotspots in Italy to be "out and about" in Dublin.
    Dublin now a hotspot in Ireland.
    With this virus it was very lax as if they wanted it to spread.

Humans can also enter the country via vaginas, Robert.

How are you gonna police that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

maninasia wrote: »
    The EU pushed hard to keep borders and flights open with the EU. They led to the virus spreading very rapidly out of Northern Italy..
    That now they have no answer to the desperate need for PPE shows the problems in the EU in a very concrete form.

The Irish government made a huge mistake in not stopping flights from Italy earlier even though it was a known epidemic center .....Even now they allow flights to come in with no quarantine tracking of individuals. I look on from outside in disbelief.

Everyone should have a look at the Sky News report from today of what it's like to fly into China. This is what we should have been doing from the day human to human transmission was confirmed. (Jan 20th)

https://www.newstalk.com/news/chinese-authorities-confirm-coronavirus-can-transmitted-human-human-contact-953467

Anything less than this was a failure, Trump, UK, Leo, EU, scientific advisors, WHO all failed to stop this back then. China would be free of the virus by now and the world could get back to normal, no lockdowns would have been needed and no one outside China would have died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

We seem to be doing about 700 test a day average from the time the outbreak arrived in Ireland.

like the virus the testing is doing exponential growth
    a month ago we had 1 person now we have 2.4K with it

from Irish Times

he HSE disclosed that 15,500 people are waiting to be tested for Covid-19 since the Government changed the criteria for testing to people displaying two symptoms of the infection.

Among those waiting for a test 10,700 have an appointment and 4,800 are awaiting a test. There are 5,000 tests being carried out every day.

More than 33,000 people have been tested since March 16th.

The HSE has 46 testing centres in operation and a further six will come on stream next week. Up to 60,000 testing kits have been delivered and a further 100,000 will be delivered each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Marsden35 wrote: »
    Deaths mean nowt really in terms of trends. Thousands in severe condition which means deaths will fluctuate daily.

New infections is the stat to monitor.

New infections figures will only tell you the capacity to test which is why we seeing the same figure the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

youandme13 wrote: »
    I don't know how you expect the government to screen everyone coming back from China when we don't have direct flights, most people go through the big EU hubs like Paris, Amsterdam, London etc. So should we have just screened every single person coming in to Dublin?

It isn’t rocket science and was discussed on the thread weeks ago. They could amongst other options have just given people a declaration form at the airport asking them to confirm whether they had been to China (and then Northern Italy) in the past few weeks; with a heavy penalty for providing incorrect information. Easy then for border control officers to collect the form and single out people coming from those places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Government-issue chastity belts to put vaginas on lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Where are we getting the kits from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy 756 new deaths in last 24 hours and 5,221 new cases.

Slow but on the right track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Governor Cuomo on CNN now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Yes they didn't do a great job looking after healthcare.
    Yes they didn't invest more.

But how they've handled this crisis has been excellent in my opinion.
    So many working tirelessly. Harris, who I wasn't a big fan of before, has risen massively.
    What's equally important is that this government has overseen economic stability and that will stand to us during and in the aftermath of all this.

At the end of the day this will have a greater economic impact than a health impact on most people.

gabeeg wrote: »

Amazingly other mammals apart from humans also enter the country via vaginas...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RobertKK wrote: »
    The surge in support for FG shows that if you do a really bad job and do very little to stop a virus taking hold of a country, it has political benefits.
    The crisis can be used to brainwash people when they had and are doing a bad job.
    It is a reward for the failure that has led us to this position.
    Not enough ICU beds, medical equipment, PPE etc, but they talk well, lets forget they helped make this happen through inaction...

The same is happening in other countries, failure is being rewarded.

When crisis occur it doesn't always have to be someone's fault.

The "failures" you list are not failures they are problems that are bound to happen in a rapidly escalating emergency. You also ignore anything they got right.

People seem to be expecting instant results, 100% testing with instant results, 100& lockdown from day 1 of first death in China, unlimited supply of PPE from anywhere in the world without any problems.

It's just totally unrealistic expectations and whataboutery and sniping. Pointing out errors is very easy. Your ICU bed claim is wrong as well.

I don't believe the government is doing any of this for political gain and I respect their leadership and decisiveness and ability to listen to scientists especially when I compare their actions to Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and Mark Rutte (Dutch PM) and this is also reflected in our death rates which is still low compared to other countries.

I feel much safer in Ireland, and think Irish people are doing their part then I would in most other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Chyna

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Hopefully not China given they sent faulty test kits to Spain and the Czech Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I don't know how you expect the government to screen everyone coming back from China when we don't have direct flights, most people go through the big EU hubs like Paris, Amsterdam, London etc. So should we have just screened every single person coming in to Dublin?

Whatever about China, allowing Italian flights continue was a disaster. A plan should have been in place to bring Irish people back in a controlled manner.

Did anyone see the report on Sky News today how China are dealing with incoming flights. They take no chances and have already discovered a large number of covid 19 cases at their airports. Not a hope of them letting those people out among the general populace.

Contrast that with how flights are treated in the EU. No screening, no temperature checks, no quaranteening, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Drumpot wrote: »
    Anybody heard from graces7? I notice they haven’t posted in over a week.

I understand that she is an elderly single lady living alone. I wish her well.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭jams100

The strength of the economy under FG over the last decade has made it possible for the government to put in place the financial package to support people out of work. The country's strong credit rating means that we will be in a better position to get out the other end.

Why do people keep saying the strength of the economy? were 206 billion in debt before this epidemic that's €48,000 for every man, woman, child in our society. We're totally over reliant on corporation tax receipts which are now accounting for 19% of our total tax take. These are probably going to crumble somewhat with the global recession that is coming, the only saving grace I see for Ireland now is the low interest rate on our national interest rate, something which eventually is going to reverse. Just to put it in perspective, As things stand, €1 in every €13 spent by the government goes on paying interest on the national debt.

I'm not saying the government shouldn't be supporting people layed off etc they absolutely should but I don't agree with people when they point to the strength of the economy, to me it's very fragile as we're about to find out.

Also I just read on sky news that the lockdown could extend into June, dear god this is bad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

It’s a disgrace that the prime minister, health minister and CMO in the UK have all got it!!!! I’ve been watching UK tv today and there’s an advert on persistently about covid 19 and it’s a plea by their CMO. The fool has it himself and he’s appealing to other to protect themselves to protect the NHS!!!

They’re a joke. People in their positions should be asked some very tough questions as to how they allowed themselves to get it.

In saying that look at the tweet below from just Thursday!!!!

https://twitter.com/jarv1ss/status/1243279012954284032?s=21

Italy 756 new deaths in last 24 hours and 5,221 new cases.

Slow but on the right track.

Experts say this thing could slow down as fast as it ramped up if restrictions on travel and movement of people are fully implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

jarvis wrote: »
    It’s a disgrace that the prime minister, health minister and CMO in the UK have all got it!!!! I’ve been watching UK tv today and there’s an advert on persistently about covid 19 and it’s a plea by their CMO. The fool has it himself and he’s appealing to other to protect themselves to protect the NHS!!!

They’re a joke. People in their positions should be asked some very tough questions as to how they allowed themselves to get it.

Did she give out to him about distancing? Looked that way

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭jams100

jams100 wrote: »
    Why do people keep saying the strength of the economy? were 206 billion in debt before this epidemic that's €48,000 for every man, woman, child in our society. We're totally over reliant on corporation tax receipts which are now accounting for 19% of our total tax take. These are probably going to crumble somewhat with the global recession that is coming, the only saving grace I see for Ireland now is the low interest rate on our national interest rate, something which eventually is going to reverse. Just to put it in perspective, As things stand, €1 in every €13 spent by the government goes on paying interest on the national debt.

I'm not saying the government shouldn't be supporting people layed off etc they absolutely should but I don't agree with people when they point to the strength of the economy, to me it's very fragile as we're about to find out.

Also I just read on sky news that the lockdown could extend into June, dear god this is bad :(

I might add we don't know why these corporation tax receipts have risen the way the have hence they could fall as quickly as they rose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

People don't allow themselves to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

New infections figures will only tell you the capacity to test which is why we seeing the same figure the last few days.

Its been almost 3 weeks since Italian lockdown began and just as in Hubei around the 3rd week mark infections peaked then started to fall.

Cases in Italy kept rising daily until March 21st which recorded approximately 6,600 new infections but have levelled off since and now seem to be dropping.

We should expect a fall after three weeks if incubation period is as much as 14 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Over 1800 new cases in Turkey and 23 more deaths. Cases in Turkey have almost doubled in 48 hours to nearly 10,000. Turkey had no cases two weeks ago now has the 12st most in the world. It is the next global hotspot, it seems.

Great to see things finally calming down in Italy.

jams100 wrote: »

The crisis of 2008-2011 added about 170 billion to our national debt. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't do something similar if not more. A longterm slowdown of international economies would be unsustainable as you'd have a number of countries end up with Greek style debt mountains, unless the ECB can solve that problem.

The man or woman who invents a vaccine will be hailed as one of the greatest human beings in history, not just for saving lives but saving jobs and economies.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Over 1800 new cases in Turkey and 23 more deaths

Includes their 46 year old former goalie who is in critical condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

bekker wrote: »
    RFA is a US State Department propaganda operation.

Source for the UK's Mail ws unnamed officials, source for BusinessInsider's was Mail, BusinessInsider is an Axel Springer publication, classic propaganda playbook.

US and UK attempting to transfer attention from their own failures to China.

The Chinese government announced that the lockdown on Hubei province was lifted. The attached video (from yesterday) showed what happened when some people in Hubei tried to cross the bridge to the next province

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Hot5n2Evg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The man or woman who invents a vaccine will be hailed as one of the greatest human beings in history, not just for saving lives but saving jobs and economies.

A vaccine, a cure or a reliable speedy test could change this completly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

A few Hellfire missiles will send the message.

They tried that already in dear old Londonderry and they haven't heard the end of it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

You know there are some epidemiologists who've contracted it? No matter how many precautions you take you can still 'get it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

wakka12 wrote: »
    Over 1800 new cases in Turkey and 23 more deaths. Cases in Turkey have almost doubled in 48 hours to nearly 10,000. Turkey had no cases two weeks ago now has the 12st most in the world. It is the next global hotspot, it seems.

They had their second highest amount of deaths yesterday.

China's numbers are going up again.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Just reading an article. Seems the Israelis and Arab states including North African ones are playing nice.

In fact, they're in contact "around the clock".

And one unnamed Gulf country supplied Israel with protective suits in exchange for medical information. I love how the middle east bartering system is still in operation.

Joint task force between Israel and the Palestinians too. Daily meetings.

Says they prefer to work together than take Europe's lead. Ouch, harsh :D

Looks like pandemics can bring people together, albeit still 2m apart. Now all we need is an alien invasion and we'll all be besties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yes.

We do screening for all sorts at airports anyway.

But even some effort to do something would have been better than the stand with flyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

loughside wrote: »
    Morocco?? When did it become a member state?

So while we`re on the subject how much have they allocated to Spain, Italy, and of course Ireland??

They are giving money to help a developing country in this response. A country that is probably important on a number of fronts given it's geographic location.

They are not donating equipment. This crisis in Europe has nothing to do with funding right now.

This is also how the strong should behave in a crisis like this. We cannot lose sight of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

You have to really fear for what is going on in India. They have such dense population centres and now people are trying to flea to rural home towns. It is all a recipe for an absolute catastrophe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,075 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You have to really fear for what is going on in India. They have suck dense population centres and now people are trying to flea to rural home towns. It is all a recipe for an absolute catastrophe

Saw on BBC article that some people are trying to walk hundreds of kilometers home. The death toll from that alone will probably surpass what many hard hit countries will experience from the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

We seem to be doing about 700 test a day average from the time the outbreak arrived in Ireland.
    You keep saying 700 but then say we dont know how many are being tested so where are you getting that number from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

200 new cases and 10 deaths today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Just 200 new cases, that is amazing. The measures have clearly been highly effective, and worked very quickly.
    It seems Ireland has certainly managed to avoid the exponential growth experienced in mainland Europe.

RIP to the 10 who died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Italy. I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

200 is good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is it still not a reasonable sample of how prevalent the virus is in the community?

And still a whole lot better than having considerably less testing in terms of getting a feel for just how much trouble we are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

Happy if it’s just 200 new cases but it seems artificially low at this point .. the number of deaths seems high in comparison to number of cases

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement