Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

8 and a third % daily increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You have to really fear for what is going on in India. They have such dense population centres and now people are trying to flea to rural home towns. It is all a recipe for an absolute catastrophe

Depressing. All those people spreading out across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

wakka12 wrote: »
    Just 200 new cases, that is amazing. The measures have clearly been highly effective, and worked very quickly.

RIP to the 10 who died.

People will just say that we're not testing.

The death numbers , whilst tragic are also lower and we're no where near the forecasted 15,000 at the end of the month.

Hopefully this keeps going over next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Could this drop be due to the new testing criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

May the ten people who died rest in peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

10 patients diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died, 8 male and 2 female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

wakka12 wrote: »
    Just 200 new cases, that is amazing. The measures have clearly been highly effective, and worked very quickly.
    It seems Ireland has certainly managed to avoid the exponential growth experienced in mainland Europe.

RIP to the 10 who died.

200 only tells you the ability to process tests. There is a big backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

200 is good news.

Could be 400 tomorrow, far too early to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

harr wrote: »
    Happy if it’s just 200 new cases but it seems artificially low at this point .. the number of deaths seems high in comparison to number of cases

I know a lot if people down with the flu at the moment and none tested. I imagine the the 200 new cases is only a fraction of what is out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

10 deaths today (RIP) that is bad

They fact we are short test kits and now many are waiting on tests and results is disappointing plus also talk of some lost tests

In other news Dr. Ciara is back out walking since yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We seem to be doing about 700 test a day average from the time the outbreak arrived in Ireland.

HSE said we are doing 5000 tests a day.

6 of the deaths were in the East, 3 in the NW and one in the South. Median age of deceased was 77, 8 male and 2 female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

An absolute must watch from start to finish...

Well worth the Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No as they are still testing thousands each day and getting results.

I think the numbers are positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Is it still not a reasonable sample of how prevalent the virus is in the community?

And still a whole lot better than having considerably less testing in terms of getting a feel for just how much trouble we are in.

That had been my theory. If the number of confirmed cases goes down then its safe to take that as representative. Similar to an opinion poll. Theres a good chance that our peak of confirmed new cases has been met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

harr wrote: »
    Happy if it’s just 200 new cases but it seems artificially low at this point .. the number of deaths seems high in comparison to number of cases

It's to be welcomed, I'd like to think that maybe steps taken 2 and a half weeks ago might be starting to have a positive effect, I know some of the doom merchants here will say otherwise, only time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

6 of the deaths were in the East, 3 in the NW and one in the South. Median age of deceased was 77, 8 male and 2 female.

So it seems like they were probably all nursing home deaths again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

murpho999 wrote: »
    When crisis occur it doesn't always have to be someone's fault.

I feel much safer in Ireland, and think Irish people are doing their part then I would in most other countries.

I'd take the critics of the government more seriously if they had demanded a full lock down on Feb 29th. Which they mostly didn't of course. Nobody did. In fact quite a few who were cynics at the start were castigating the government later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Family member tested last Monday, no results yet! These 200 could be from last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You keep saying 700 but then say we dont know how many are being tested so where are you getting that number from?

The last numbers that were released were as of 23 March, 17,992 tests had been carried out. That was 23 rd March, so approx 700 a day since start of outbreak. Maybe the HSE could publish their testing and processing figures.
    If you have more recent numbers I would be happy to correct my self.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Same as most countries. 200 is very positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

From a quick look it seems to me like we have less deaths than Italy had after a similar number of cases. We're also showing quite a slow increase in cases compared to other countries. Any death is one too many of course, and it's early days, but the signs are promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Any updated figures from ICU?

The last numbers that were released were about .As of 23 March, 17,992 tests had been carried out. That was 23 rd March, so approx 700 a since start of outbreak. Maybe the HSE could publish their testing and processing figures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Testing

Fergal Bowers tweeted this morning that over the last week, 5,000 tests were done per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Why always assume the worst. Since testing picked up in the last few weeks is that the only reason for the recent increases? I think what we have done so far will clearly have an effect on this

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Doing or have the capacity to do? I think i seen somewhere that cork ran out of test kits today, its also taking an awful long time to get results back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It's two weeks since schools and colleges closed technically numbers Wise we should be starting to see a slight drop in invection numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

So these are from when we’re testing far more people then?
    Everywhere has a backlog.

200 today is promising and stays in line with out curve looking good.

If theyre expecting a peak in 2 ish weeks 200 a day is what we want to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cases now at 700k, about 30 hours after reaching 600k

May be over a million by the time April rolls around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Doing 5000 but processing how many? Can you give me a link to the overall number of tests carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

India was always going to be an issue if it took hold. Couple that with a horrible government and its recipe for disaster.

The absolute poverty in places Delhi, Agra and Mumbai is unimaginable unless you witness it in person. I saw kids as young as 5-6 naked and completely filthy from head to head running around train stations.

Townships in South Africa are going to be extremely hard hit from this. ANC are another government that won't be able to cope with a major outbreak.

marilynrr wrote: »
    Any updated figures from ICU?

77 on Friday, 88 today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

8% increase in cases vs yesterday

10 deaths :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The last numbers that were released were about .As of 23 March, 17,992 tests had been carried out. That was 23 rd March, so approx 700 a since start of outbreak. Maybe the HSE could publish their testing and processing figures.

On that day they said they were doing 2,000 a day so they had gone from very few to testing a large amount.

This mornings news conference said they were testing 5,000 a day.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0329/1127082-coronavirus-tracker/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The new criteria is designed to test those most likely to have the virus i.e. those with more severe symptoms and those in at risk groups.

The numbers released these days are cases detected since restrictive social distancing was introduced and the schools closed. It is an early sign that these measures are working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Joint task force between Israel and the Palestinians too. Daily meetings.

Says they prefer to work together than take Europe's lead. Ouch, harsh

In a reversal of the norm, journalists from Gaza will write articles with the title, "Europe: The world's largest open-air prison".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I do think that the new testing criteria could cause a downward blip, happy if it's not but just be careful to not get too happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Several of the test centres closed without notice today because they ran out of kits. This will impact reported new cases in a few days. We cannot look at new case numbers as indicative of anything when testing is chopping and changing criteria, or suddenly put on hold. If testing criteria and capacity isn't consistent, then patterns in the cases reported are not meaningful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

cosanostra wrote: »
    Doing or have the capacity to do? I think i seen somewhere that cork ran out of test kits today, its also taking an awful long time to get results back

There doing 5000 a day.
    200 is good, we’re seeing results of school closures and distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

If so then that's brilliant news!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Why can't some people accept any promising news, and instead have to get all disappointed and frantic by putting so much negative spin and speculation on any positivity.

It is getting very fcucking tiring on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Several of the test centres closed without notice today because they ran out of kits. This will impact reported new cases in a few days. We cannot look at new case numbers as indicative of anything when testing is chopping and changing criteria, or suddenly put on hold. If testing criteria and capacity isn't consistent, then patterns in the cases reported are not meaningful.

Probably next weeks results and be that time the number of deaths will be more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

ZX7R wrote: »
    It's two weeks since schools and colleges closed technically numbers Wise we should be starting to see a slight drop in invection numbers

Not necessarily just yet. Some of those numbers could be from people who spread it to other people in their households.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

From a quick look it seems to me like we have less deaths than Italy had after a similar number of cases. We're also showing quite a slow increase in cases compared to other countries. Any death is one too many of course, and it's early days, but the signs are promising.

The increase over the past few days has been very good in the exponential scheme of things.

We differ from Italy in that their elderly tend to live with their families rather than alone. The virus therefore spread a lot more easily between generations over there. Most of their victims are in the elderly age bracket.

We also differ from them in that we are tend to live in one off housing out of the major cities. Their population is a lot more urban.

Plus we have had a head start in terms of putting measures in place to slow the spread of the virus. they didn't have that chance.

But having said all of this, we are in a much better situation than we could have hoped for. Lets keep it up. there is nothing in the bank yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I’ve been watching Governor Cuomo of New York every day for the past few days doing his daily update. The man is just brilliant. He tells it like it is, he doesn’t sugarcoat anything but he does it in such a way that boosts morale and treats the people as adults. You would wish that he was the president instead of the buffoon that’s in the White House now.
    I think Cuomo’s update talks will be used as textbook examples in future to educate leaders on how to show leadership in a crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

8% increase in cases vs yesterday

10 deaths :(

The percentage is very promising though

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

growleaves wrote: »
    In a reversal of the norm, journalists from Gaza will write articles with the title, "Europe: The world's largest open-air prison".

It would be quite the troll move by Israel to offer to lift the blockade just now. It's the last thing Gazans want right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

The Belarusian president has left all sporting events open and is recommending that people drink vodka and wash their hands in it to combat the virus but not at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

bob mcbob wrote: »
    The Chinese government announced that the lockdown on Hubei province was lifted. The attached video (from yesterday) showed what happened when some people in Hubei tried to cross the bridge to the next province

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Hot5n2Evg
    No relevance to the quote, track back posts.

Refers to incident reported in South China Morning Post a few days ago, migrant workers trying to return to neighbouring province. Remember same sort of scenes in Hong Kong about people crossing from the adjoining area.

Doesn't prove Hubei isn't reopening, doesn't mean quarantine hasn't been lifted.

Does prove that people in Jiangxi don't want migrant workers returning, maybe because of fears of viral infection, maybe because huge job losses, and they want those remaining for home boys.

Only have v.sketchy acquaintance with Chinese history, but maybe a bit of Cork/Limerick at work also.

Same images can be used by CPC, as need for strict central control to avoid falling into 'warlordism.

It's all in the spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

They are taking samples from thousands, how many do the process per day? People wait days for results so this figure is where we were at days ago

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement