Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

This is just not the case. Grasping at anything to further your agenda.

Yeah people think it’s so simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

I hope your right. Problem with this virus, it will only take one or two people coming into the country with it to start the whole show off again . Contact tracing might have sharpened up to handle it. Time will tell

The only option really is the close the country to all but freight and then bed down for 4 weeks no exceptions. After that you could slowly reopen but the borders stay shut. Would people be happy to do that. Then we also have the mess that is northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

stretchaq wrote: »
    There is also no matches on so that would reduce a & e

People only were referred by doctors following guidelines given to them by the HSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    Was wondering if I could get some opinions on the so-called herd immunity approach to addressing coronavirus.

It seems to make a lot of sense to me that rather than putting every individual into lockdown as we've now done, why don't we lockdown and quarantine every elderly and/or immuno-compromised individual and allow the non-vulnerable to continue their normal business. Within a relatively short period of time, non-vulnerable people will have contracted the virus, recovered from it (in the vast majority of cases) and be immune.

The main critique of this seems to be that it will overload our hospital/ICU capacity. However the people we are putting at risk of contracting the virus (the young/non-vulnerable) are exactly the people who are least likely to require hospitalisation if they get. The vast majority of these people will get mild flu like symptoms and not even need hospitalisation.

Obviously I'd be in favour of highly strict measures to make sure the quarantine of vulnerable people is adhered to. Whatever it takes.

Seems like this might let us have our cake and eat it. Saving the vulnerable people without destroying the economy.

I think that this is the plan, but right now we just need to go through this initial lockdown period for everyone.

I don't think it should be mandatory for the elderly to be locked up or quarantined either if the rest of us are allowed out. It should be their choice. Some people might be at the end of their years and might want to take their chances and try to live out the rest of their days as normally as possible so I would be 100% against a mandatory strict quarantine for those people.

Another prick the world wouldn't miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Anybody else working tomorrow and still not wearing a mask, still not disinfecting their post or shopping, still not engaging in vigilante fantasies about cracking open joggers or cyclists heads, and generally remaining calm?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Seems to be a shortage all over https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/03/29/exclusive-covid-19-testing-halted-at-letterkenny-over-lack-of-kits/ You would imagine that when they get 30k kits and they know the next shipment is due in 5 days they'd do 6k kits per day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Hospitals didnt hire any extra medical scientists.

Some students that are in 3rd or 4th year have been taken on as lab aides to enter samples on the hospital system and get them ready for transport to the NVRL.

By having the pre analytical work done by lab aides, this frees up scientists to carry out sample preparation and analysis.

Even with this help, at least twice as many medical scientists would be required to operate the instruments 24/7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Is anyone here acting like their own police watchdog? Watching their neighbours every footsteps etc? Ringing the police on them if they leave the house more than once?

Some people on facebook have admitted doing this in the UK, some even threatening violence. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Was wondering if I could get some opinions on the so-called herd immunity approach to addressing coronavirus.

It seems to make a lot of sense to me that rather than putting every individual into lockdown as we've now done, why don't we lockdown and quarantine every elderly and/or immuno-compromised individual and allow the non-vulnerable to continue their normal business. Within a relatively short period of time, non-vulnerable people will have contracted the virus, recovered from it (in the vast majority of cases) and be immune.

The main critique of this seems to be that it will overload our hospital/ICU capacity. However the people we are putting at risk of contracting the virus (the young/non-vulnerable) are exactly the people who are least likely to require hospitalisation if they get. The vast majority of these people will get mild flu like symptoms and not even need hospitalisation.

Obviously I'd be in favour of highly strict measures to make sure the quarantine of vulnerable people is adhered to. Whatever it takes.

Seems like this might let us have our cake and eat it. Saving the vulnerable people without destroying the economy.

This is not a good idea and I can’t believe it keeps being touted. Even Boris Johnson came round to it being a terrible strategy and did a complete 360...

“The vast majority of these people will get mild flu like symptoms and not even need hospitalisation.”

A large percentage of this vast majority will get a “mild” but debilitating illness that can go on for up to add greater than 2 weeks. AND we don’t know if some of that can result in permanent lung damage

Believe me I’m on day 12 of this illness and while I’m coming out the other side I STILL have breathlessness and lung pain when I climb the stairs.

So the relatively-young, not-at-risk group will all be at home sick instead of at home self-isolating.

There is no magic bullet to “get us back to normal”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

why don't we lockdown and quarantine every elderly and/or immuno-compromised individual

The practicalities of might have been more complicated than you're making it sound. A lot of elderly people live with children/grandchildren: how are they to be 'quarantined' in a watertight way if the rest of the household are going about their normal business and likely contracting the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I'm 41. I smoke. I had asthma when I was a kid.

In your scenario people like me will not play along and will be extremely pissed off. And there's a lot of people like me.
    I've kids. I don't know if they have underlying conditions, so I wouldn't be sending them to school.

In your scenario countless seemingly healthy fairly young people would die. Much of the population would be grieving. Many people would be feeling murderous, not just towards the government, but to the people who infected their loved ones.

You could be gambling with the viability of the society itself. And frankly that's not going to be good for the economy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Anybody else working tomorrow and still not wearing a mask, still not disinfecting their post or shopping, still not engaging in vigilante fantasies about cracking open joggers or cyclists heads, and generally remaining calm?

Seek help. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Seems all the comedians have taken to sending horse sh1te messages all day long on what’s ap.
    What a time to be alive.locked up and a phone having a meltdown.
    60 fcukin messages a day about toilet paper and toothpaste jokes.also the day whatever of quarantine joke.
    Fcuk right off and bring yere what’s ap with ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hotrodder

Wonder if Gardai will be busy tomorrow checking if people are working. They will hardly check stop people collecting post and checking emails in small rural offices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

What's the story with supermarkets, are more shoppers wearing masks now ? Haven't been to a shop in over a week, so dont know what the up to date is.

HSE are advocating that masks and gloves are only suitable to medics who know how to use them correctly. General public just to keep distance and frequently wash hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

deise08 wrote: »
    Yep in our place.
    Masks and scarves are on the majority of customers.

Only staff members faces aren't covered.
    Scares the customers apparently!

I've a weeks holidays now, and I'm not leavi g the house. I've my mask ready for when I go back. God help them if they challenge me on it.

I have an old work related mask.i got years ago with the side ventilators for spraying chemicals. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd even contemplate wearing it in public, but if it keeps me and other people safe....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

gabeeg wrote: »
    I'm 41. I smoke. I had asthma when I was a kid.

In your scenario people like me will not play along and will be extremely pissed off. And there's a lot of people like me.
    I've kids. I don't know if they have underlying conditions, so I wouldn't be sending them to school.

In your scenario countless seemingly healthy fairly young people would die. Much of the population would be grieving. Many people would be feeling murderous, not just towards the government, but to the people who infected their loved ones.

You could be gambling with the viability of the society itself. And frankly that's not going to be good for the economy either.

Yes but it would down to individual choice..someone who considers themselves to be at rick could isolate themselves. Someone who wants to risk a cup of coffee could also do so. It's eventually going to get to that stage anyway. This thing is not going away but eventually the restrictions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The trolley crisis will no longer be a priority or voting issue after this.

Thank ****.

Ffs shown to be a sham.

Does every post absolutely have to contain “FFS”?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's times like these that I ask what would lord business do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

secman wrote: »
    HSE are advocating that masks and gloves are only suitable to medics who know how to use them correctly. General public just to keep distance and frequently wash hands.

that translates into they work but we want them

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Does anyone have any suggestions for stopping a 78-year-old man who lives alone from going about their usual daily shopping and routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Is anyone here acting like their own police watchdog? Watching their neighbours every footsteps etc? Ringing the police on them if they leave the house more than once?

Some people on facebook have admitted doing this in the UK, some even threatening violence. :eek:

I see a car drive past, I feel inner rage. I know its stupid but I literally cant help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yes but it would down to individual choice..someone who considers themselves to be at rick could isolate themselves. Someone who wants to risk a cup of coffee could also do so. It's eventually going to get to that stage anyway. This thing is not going away but eventually the restrictions are.

I disagree. I don't think this will be our last lockdown.

Hopefully the worst one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Let's not.

Perhaps there was an aspect to their plight that struck a chord with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

So what happens when we see a decline in cases, the lockdown lifts and then what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

secman wrote: »

London fire brigade recommended those in grenfell tower to stay in place while building was on fire. I don't need to tell you how that ended.

Nibs05 wrote: »
    So what happens when we see a decline in cases, the lockdown lifts and then what

Rolling lockdowns. Close, partially open, close, partially open. You could still be going late in the year.

Lol, do you have to disinfect mail and groceries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Hunger Games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Lifting it in the next 2 months will be a disaster.

Health system needs to operate at manageable levels and this virus won't go anywhere until a vaccine is found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.baldingsworld.com/2020/03/29/how-fast-is-corona-spreading-and-how-many-undetected-cases-are-there/

Way, way more people have this than we think.

The models in use to support lockdowns are wrong. Contact tracing is pointless. Collapsing our economy is the wrong strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Seems all the comedians have taken to sending horse sh1te messages all day long on what’s ap.
    60 fcukin messages a day about toilet paper and toothpaste jokes.also the day whatever of quarantine joke.
    I am getting zero of that kind of rubbish...maybe you need to get some new mates...or leave some WhatsApp groups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

But I'm guessing you read those jokes on eh your WhatsApp?

kowloon wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for stopping a 78-year-old man who lives alone from going about their usual daily shopping and routine?

Breaking his leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

maybe offer to do his shopping for him so he doesn't have to put himself at risk?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

emulsifier wrote: »
    Lol, do you have to disinfect mail and groceries?

I have been, I’m treating everything as if it is dirty with virus as much as possible. Anything to try prevent it getting into our family, not like I don’t have time.

Boggles wrote: »
    The Hunger Games!

I'll kill whoever stands between me and a lamb shwarma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

More testing to see who already had it and fought it off. A revision of the death rate downwards. Poverty. Comprehensive planning in case of a repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nothing will be opening up in Europe for a very long time by the looks of things. 2 weeks thing here a nonsense though I understand why they say it. I feel they need to be more straight with the public, we can handle it.

In the UK they are talking about June already.

My personal hunch the earliest July maybe?

Open up any time soon and we'll end up locked down again in the blink of an eye.

Just a dreadful situation really :(

Just saw the sky news reporter showing what it was like getting into china. (Testing and 14 quarantine), I can't see global travel getting anywhere near back to normal until a vaccine/instant testing is sorted. Social distancing will also be the new norm.

Global travel might go out of fashion. If you want to look at lions in the serengeti, watch a nature documentary on the bloody telly. I think a whole reset of society is needed after this thing abates.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

London fire brigade recommended those in grenfell tower to stay in place while building was on fire. I don't need to tell you how that ended.

The HSE get blamed for a lot of things but it's the first time they have been mentioned in connection with the Grenfell Tower disaster I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The numbers go up again but slower because of a certain percentage of the population having built up immunity. Rinse and repeat for another year maybe 18 months until we have a vaccine.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Did they really? The Chinese government? I highly doubt that, I don't believe it. I know SJW clowns were doing that, I have not heard of the Chinese government calling other countries racist for quarantining their citizens.
    China’s acting ambassador to Israel apologized on Sunday after comparing the closure of several national borders to Chinese citizens amid fears of a new virus from China to the turning away of Jewish refugees during the Holocaust.

Okay, this was one official who was then made to apologise.

But the CCP have been putting out propaganda that linking China to the virus is done for racist motives.

• Advertisement

maybe offer to do his shopping for him so he doesn't have to put himself at risk?

I can't do it myself, I'm also 'cocooned' :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A driver has travelled from Coventry to Salford to collect a £15 EBay purchase of windows. His wife could not fit in the vehicle so she was travelling in the boot for the return journey when stopped on the M6 Cheshire. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Nothing will be opening up in Europe for a very long time by the looks of things. 2 weeks thing here a nonsense though I understand why they say it. I feel they need to be more straight with the public, we can handle it.

In the UK they are talking about June already.

My personal hunch the earliest July maybe?

Open up any time soon and we'll end up locked down again in the blink of an eye.

Just a dreadful situation really :(

This might be a stupid question, but how does it spread if the vast majority of people are not in contact with anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Introduce him to the world of internet porn?

pc7 wrote: »
    I have been, I’m treating everything as if it is dirty with virus as much as possible. Anything to try prevent it getting into our family, not like I don’t have time.

How are you disinfecting? Could that not add chemicals to the food?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement