Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Rest assured Spain will be accepting visitors and airlines will be flying by then.

No chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's that time again. Paddy cosgrave uses twitter to say something. People call him a pr!ck.

Go nuts. I find the consistency across threads and days comforting.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1243150282999189504?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rest assured Spain will be accepting visitors and airlines will be flying by then.

lol, eh no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Boards version of exponential growth. As a matter of interest what topic holds the record for most threads/posts on this site? The 2008 financial collapse must be there or thereabouts.

Brexit conversation has been one of the most active in my time here.

It got to 10 threads in about a year I think. Covid has done it in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I do wonder was the number of 15000 ever realistic or was it a number the government knew we wouldn't hit and thus make them look like there doing good but more importantly make the public not go into panic mode as "we are below where we should be "

Or on the other hand has closing schools and social distaining could be just worked wonders ,

I always practice social disdaining.😋

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The Spanish economy won't last another 2 months of complete lockdown. Not only will their health servicefail, but the ar*e will fall out of their entire economy.

Same for airlines, none of them will be in business if this continues for 2 more months

In another few weeks all civilian aircraft worldwide will be grounded. The only aircraft still flying will be military.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

dickdonk14 wrote: »
    62 day until my summer holiday on the costa del sol can't wait I'm so excited ��
    Last week it was reported that over 70% of the reported cases in Andalucia are in Costa del Sol. The south coast of Spain has become riddled with infection since the nice people of Madrid decided to escape to their second homes on the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hmmzis wrote: »
    https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/relatively-stable-sars-cov-2-genome-is-good-news-for-a-vaccine-67319

At least some good news these days.

The survivors of the first SARS-cov still had a full set of antibodies against it even after 15 years. There is some reasonable chance that v2 is going to be same or similar.

But if Covid19 comes back next winter in a different strain, will the vaccine be for nothing ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Antares35 wrote: »
    No problem with people doing this, provided they are willing to sacrifice their ICU bed for someone who isnt a f*cking neanderthal moron like they are. Why should people who deliberately engage in this kind of behaviour be afforded any kind of medical hep if needed. Keep the resources for those of us who are compliant.
    "People" like that need to be beaten with clubs. Publicly. Start that "challenge".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I completely agree with the previous posters who expect cases (of positive tests) to rise due to the changes in criteria for testing.

Obviously we can't ever know the exact number of infected people but the number of Covid-19 patients REQUIRING (not necessarily IN) ICU beds will be accurate so that figure may be the best indicator of how the situation is developing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Macron on last night was close to tears as he told country to brace itself the big wave starting in next few days.
    He knows whats coming and eventually just like Italy they'll be destroyed,
    Supposing the social distancing measures slowed the numbers down to that of half Italy's numbers. It still only buys them a few days and suppose they're twice as well prepared that too only buys them another few days. Best case scenario they hold out a week or 10days longer than the Italians
    Ireland is in the same position its only further out out, this time next week you'll know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anyone know why primtime has to be on every night surely the news is enough, theres only so much watching rte presenters in sheds one can take ! it really is pointless bit like the extended channel 4 news. before you ask i caught the end waiting for big life fix

is there sweep on how many threads this will run to :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But if Covid19 comes back next winter in a different strain, will the vaccine be for nothing ?
    Chances are it'll give some immunity compared to the non vaccinated. Similar to the flu vaccine. Even when not exactly the same strain it does tend to lead to less severe illness in the vaccinated. If they can pin down a stable part of the virus then we should be golden. People who survived SARS had immunity out to around 2-3 years so it may mean annual vaccination to keep ahead of this thing. If we go full war against it like humanity did with smallpox we could wipe it out in the wild. IF we also nuke wet markets and the like from orbit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Best case scenario they hold out a week or 10days longer than the Italians
    Ireland is in the same position its only further out out, this time next week you'll know

Ireland is not in the same position as Italy. That's needless scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Not sure if this has been posted yet - Covid Globe, it's fed live data from worldometers.

https://www.covidvisualizer.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

I found this graphic from the BBC (originally John Hopkins Uni) interesting.

kkcqc49.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Following on from yesterday, paying to promote this tweet rather than just doing it for the sake of goodness and let it be shared naturally, he wants everyone to know.
    [url]

Maybe the character he's shown the last few weeks has made me over cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Ireland is not in the same position as Italy. That's needless scaremongering.

I didn't say it was i said it'll only hold out a week or two longer either way all countrys end the same
    Look at the figures and supposing you do twice as well as italy you still can't stop whats coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I do wonder was the number of 15000 ever realistic or was it a number the government knew we wouldn't hit and thus make them look like there doing good but more importantly make the public not go into panic mode as "we are below where we should be "

Or on the other hand has closing schools and social distaining could be just worked wonders ,

I never took much notice of that number anyway... they never gave indication of what they were basing it off.

We probably are slightly below where we could/should be at this moment in time. But I am more inclined to say this is down to the excellent doctors, nurses and army of support staff we have in this country... rather than the government measures, which have been a bit underwhelming tbh.

Despite our healthcare system being in rag order, the professionals who work within it are some of the best you will find anywhere in europe imho.

We might very well be pulling off a small miracle right now, based on their hard work... but it's the overall healthcare system that needs to have the capacity to cope with what's coming in the doors. That's what we don't know yet - what is the maximum capacity of our healthcare system, and can we manage to stay just below that critical line for long enough!

I just hope our leaders don't undermine their great work, with poor decision making!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's that time again. Paddy cosgrave uses twitter to say something. People call him a pr!ck.

Would Paddy be dubious enough to buy into online marketing? I wouldn't be surprised if the shipping date is pushed out to June or beyond once the order is placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

There should be a big increase tonight or tomorrow night as the government decision to tighten the criteria for community testing has an effect.

It shouldn't been seen as a condemnation or what we are doing just as a sign of improved detection.

That won't kick into results for another 2 to3 days at least I'd expect.
    People were already lined up for testing, time to process lab results, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The tweet I posted was a paid promoted tweet, why do that?

Doesn't take away from the gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I didn't say it was i said it'll only hold out a week or two longer either way all countrys end the same
    Look at the figures and supposing you do twice as well as italy you still can't stop whats coming

We won't have anything like the mortality rate of Italy, because we took restrictive measures fairly promptly, granted we fecked up by allowing the Cheltenham crowd to come back in untested, but in the main we were proactive and most people adhered to the government guidlines. You will always have a minority of selfish twats who won't, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Here's a handy tool for a quick update on cases/deaths/recoveries etc.
    Just click on the whatever country you want.
    https://www.covidvisualizer.com/

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Peruvian Flake

What is coming, for Ireland? In your opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Wibbs wrote: »
    Chances are it'll give some immunity compared to the non vaccinated. Similar to the flu vaccine. Even when not exactly the same strain it does tend to lead to less severe illness in the vaccinated. If they can pin down a stable part of the virus then we should be golden. People who survived SARS had immunity out to around 2-3 years so it may mean annual vaccination to keep ahead of this thing. If we go full war against it like humanity did with smallpox we could wipe it out in the wild. IF we also nuke wet markets and the like from orbit.

It`s the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Do you really think that or is that sarcasm? Sorry I can't tell:pac:

Will there not be restrictions still in place by May?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Beautiful video here of Lyon in lockdown, drone footage. Looks so quiet, over 2 million people.

https://vimeo.com/400678144

• Advertisement

Nope. Utter sky is falling down hysterical nonsense. Japan and Taiwan and closer to home Germany have not become Italy, Spain or France. There are many factors involved. Ireland has a few advantages. We have one of the lowest population densities in the western world. The majority live in one family dwellings rather than in very population dense vertical housing. That's a huge difference alone. Where are the real hotspots in other countries? Densely populated urban centres with lots of people mixing(compare London to the rest of the UK as an example) We're also low in numbers needing hospitalisation and low in those numbers when the partial lockdown was started. Will those numbers climb? Of course, but to suggest we're looking down the barrel of a Madrid, Lombardy, New York, London et al is hysteria at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement