Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Well only because some are hailing Aer Lingus as heroes, welcoming the plane home and stuff.

So is it heroic, or just a business transaction?

What difference does it make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

pc7 wrote: »
    I have been, I’m treating everything as if it is dirty with virus as much as possible. Anything to try prevent it getting into our family, not like I don’t have time.
    pc7 wrote: »
    The packaging, I’m not buying anything loose, sorry planet! But I am recycling all wrappings. Look it might do nothing but worth the effort for a little peace of mind for me.
    ETA I then wash any fruit/veg etc always did.

Me too. When I get a chinese takeaway I also wash my hands when I get home, open the containers, pour food out, put into bin, and wash hands before eating the food. Hopefully food doesn't have it :) No harm in being careful.
    https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

An absolute must watch from start to finish...

great video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    The Uk are saying it could be 6 months before they are back to normal but their cases are higher at the moment. How long before we start to see normality? Schools open, coffee shops, clothes shops etc? What are people’s predictions?

Well under six months I would think. You could easily see shops, retail stores, cafes etc reopening by early June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Strazdas wrote: »
    Well under six months I would think. You could easily see shops, retail stores, cafes etc reopening by early June.

I sincerely hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Is there a reason why Ireland doesn’t record recover rates like some other countries. A friend from abroad just messaged me and said Ireland has a 90% death rate of closed cases meaning 5 recovered and 46 dead according to the online stats.

Which is clearly not accurate. But just wondering why we don’t record recoveries ?
    I’d assume we don’t have enough tests to test for negative results from people who have recovered?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Here's your paddy Cosgrove fix. He might be a prick in your opinion but might be right.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244308345709899778?s=20

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised by that. Spitting on someone is on of the most scummy things you could do at the best of times. I thought if he was in employment he would have some sense of manners and respect.

Not really surprised, having a job doesn't exclude someone from being a prick, plenty of people with highly paid jobs would be just the same.

I have friends who used to do security in some of the more high end clubs and were often spat at and worse by the "do you know who I am /my father is" clientele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Can't it be both? I'd think the pilots now have to quarantine

I don’t think they left the plane. Assumed they crewed it in a way they could do it within allowable hours, probably one crew flew out, return crew having a sleep in business class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

jackboy wrote:
    Even with this help, at least twice as many medical scientists would be required to operate the instruments 24/7.
    More and more labs are rostering staff in teams in 12 hour shifts.

In our hospital we have 3 teams A, B and C. Only 1 team at work at one time to prevent staff mixing.

So there's 1/3 of the workforce at all times now. Stretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Steve F wrote: »
    End June, beginning of July if the figures play ball.
    Sadly that's only half the story.
    There's a strong case for a second wave starting October, November time as is common with Pandemics ☹️

Care to name a few examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,477 ✭✭✭✭elperello

laugh wrote: »
    Could be the same dirt the dutch ended up with too.

Absolute conjecture.

Brave people on the frontline are depending on this equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

End June, beginning of July if the figures play ball.
    Sadly that's only half the story.
    There's a strong case for a second wave starting October, November time as is common with Pandemics ☹️

O god, why can’t our government come out a s say this? Our young people’s well being and mental health needs honesty too. I know they don’t know the answer, but the kids are just hearing until after Easter and are thinking they will go back to normal then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Anyone dreading work in the morning

I’m dreading the bus. Dublin Bus’ version of reducing capacity seems to be cancel a load of buses in the morning when people are going to work but keep the same amount of buses going mid morning to mid afternoon when no one should be using them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

irishgeo wrote: »
    All this talk of the vaccine taking 18 months the virus could be gone by them , the last vaccine for SARS didnt get completed because the virus burnt itself out before a vaccine was ready and when that happened the funding disappeared too.

Hopefully the Chinese market practices will also be gone soon and we don't see the birth of a new virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Well only because some are hailing Aer Lingus as heroes, welcoming the plane home and stuff.

Captain flying would have cleared about 2.5k before tax for the shift. It's borderline pathetic that national media are fawning over a business transaction.

Outside the propagandic value of the media reporting, the actual story is embarrassing to be reporting on.

Allinall wrote: »
    Why does it make any difference?

It's a valid question. Why are people saying they don't want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

More and more labs are rostering staff in teams in 12 hour shifts.

In our hospital we have 3 teams A, B and C. Only 1 team at work at one time to prevent staff mixing.

So there's 1/3 of the workforce at all times now. Stretched.

Yikes

Have any of you caught it?

eh... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy now talking about the end of June as being a possibility for lifting restrictions there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

5 pilots in each aircraft working continuously over 24 hours , well done lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Logan Roy wrote: »

1918 Pandemic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

1918 Pandemic

Outside of that one? One example isn't a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

awec wrote: »
    The misery merchants on here really are something else.

“I called for a lockdown in February, look at me look at me”.

There has been a number of posters on here doing nothing but finding the absolute worst in everything. We are fortunate that they’re here to ensure that everyone is as miserable as possible.

Good numbers are bad news. Bad numbers are bad news. We could announce a cure tomorrow and they’d still find a way to turn it into something negative.

“We predicted this” is such total bollocks. Things are far, far better than anything you lot predicted.

Absolutely -isn't it great a pandemic came along ...whoopee -another stick to beat FG with . Maybe if we got really lucky we could double up with an earthquake and bring up the treble with a tsunami.
    You have to laugh really at the warped egotism of some posters on here.
    Anyone can call for anything on a forum -no cost , no consequences.

Sure it would have been no problem for a caretaker Taoiseach coming out of a losing election to announce a lockdown with no recorded case in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Here's your paddy Cosgrove fix. He might be a prick in your opinion but might be right.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244308345709899778?s=20

How come we didn't hear about this delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Logan Roy wrote: »

1918 Pandemic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

Ellsbells1 wrote: »
    O god, why can’t our government come out a s say this? Our young people’s well being and mental health needs honesty too. I know they don’t know the answer, but the kids are just hearing until after Easter and are thinking they will go back to normal then.

Kids do need certainty

Prob is the government can't start estimating timeframes, they have to be guided by the evolving data

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Do you not find it a bit cringy refering to it as "the front line" as well?

Yeah. I get people are looking for hope but this Ireland is at war thing doesn't work for me. I get that it works for a lot of people. My partner works on the "front line" of this war and she finds it cringy too. Even Leo's Churchill and Terminator quotes are puke. Its not who we are as a people. It's American style news reporting that has come to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

laugh wrote: »
    Could be the same dirt the dutch ended up with too.

Was there any checks done on the stuff when it came in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How do you decide when to lift the lockdown? Surely things can take off straight after opening everything back up again?

Are we just biding time for better treatments or a vaccine for those most at risk and could this lockdown last a hell of a lot longer than what people are expecting, which would be end of April/May.. if the vaccine doesn’t come, at what point does the economical effect on the country become a bigger problem than the virus?

I suppose these questions are probably what the government are asking themselves at the minute and a lot is up in the air. This could be a long road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

How do you decide when to lift the lockdown? Surely things can take off straight after opening everything back up again?

Are we just biding time for better treatments or a vaccine for those most at risk and could this lockdown last a hell of a lot longer than what people are expecting, which would be end of April/May.. if the vaccine doesn’t come, at what point does the economical effect on the country become a bigger problem than the virus?

I suppose these questions are probably what the government are asking themselves at the minute and a lot is up in the air. This could be a long road.

Spot on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement