Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

How do you decide when to lift the lockdown? Surely things can take off straight after opening everything back up again?

Are we just biding time for better treatments or a vaccine for those most at risk and could this lockdown last a hell of a lot longer than what people are expecting, which would be end of April/May.. if the vaccine doesn’t come, at what point does the economical effect on the country become a bigger problem than the virus?

I suppose these questions are probably what the government are asking themselves at the minute and a lot is up in the air. This could be a long road.

Lockdown will be lifted asap I reckon

Just a matter of keeping hospitals operational

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

There is no known solution for the COVID-19 epidemic.
    The lockdown is a complete clutch at straws. The only clutch available.
    There was never a sure financial return on searching out a vaccine for this stuff.
    Vaccines are so costly to qualify due to the years and quantities of human trials involved.
    Trials that could lead to worse results to that what they are seeking to eliminate.
    Too high risk for shareholders (us, our pensions....).
    A big pharma is going to invest more in the low risk/high short term result stuff.
    Vaccine researches for Coronavirus had momentum in past, when we were seen at risk, but were shelved when risk decreased.

"Coronaviruses have caused two other recent epidemics – severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) in China in 2002-04, and Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers), which started in Saudi Arabia in 2012. In both cases, work began on vaccines that were later shelved when the outbreaks were contained."
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/coronavirus-vaccine-when-will-it-be-ready

Bottom line is that the lockdown is not going to guarantee anything.
    We are becoming victims of a greed which we alone have created. Investment in the immediate short-term returns.
    Same greed that stopped authorities immediately shutting down air travel (flying mixing pots), due to the financial lobby which outweighed the medical-advisory lobby.
    Further, there is absolutely no guarantee that this virus will not effect animals. Everything about it is new.

I hope the lockdown approach works though. No plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's a valid question. Why are people saying they don't want to know?

I’ll repeat my question.

Why does it make any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

BanditLuke wrote: »
    How come we didn't hear about this delivery?

Probably dumped in the bin as soon as the hospitals received - I mean Alibaba of all places to buy from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Here's your paddy Cosgrove fix. He might be a prick in your opinion but might be right.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244308345709899778?s=20

He is a ****ing prick.
    He has a ****ing ego larger than Trumps hole. Him and his lickspittle ****ing comments. He is no better than the majority of mouthbreathers on twitter only he has a few quid to promote himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

awec wrote: »
    The misery merchants on here really are something else.

“I called for a lockdown in February, look at me look at me”.

There has been a number of posters on here doing nothing but finding the absolute worst in everything. We are fortunate that they’re here to ensure that everyone is as miserable as possible.

Good numbers are bad news. Bad numbers are bad news. We could announce a cure tomorrow and they’d still find a way to turn it into something negative.

“We predicted this” is such total bollocks. Things are far, far better than anything you lot predicted.

Nonsense.

A week from now people like you will be admitting you got it wrong.

I will put this in caps so you don't miss the point.

WE ARE ONLY AT THE START.

In terms of deaths and ICU admissions.

We are already swamped and we're just as the start.

It gives me and others on here zero satisfaction to have correctly predicted a number of things such as contact tracing slowly becoming ineffective. The large number of community cases tells us that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Italy now talking about the end of June as being a possibility for lifting restrictions there.

That would be fantastic if possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Here's your paddy Cosgrove fix. He might be a prick in your opinion but might be right.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1244308345709899778?s=20

He paid for that as an advertisement on Twitter. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anyone dreading work in the morning

In my place, there seems to be a fair toxic response to us not shutting... judging by the WhatsApp group chatter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭growleaves

Outside of that one? One example isn't a trend.

Er sorry but the worst influenza pandemic in history is the only valid comparison to this one because... er, because... SHUT UP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Care to name a few examples?

As people have said, the Spanish flu.

But also Swine Flu, the Black Death, and just about every pandemic.

Sometimes it's seasonal, sometimes it's years apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

owlbethere wrote: »
    Hopefully the Chinese market practices will also be gone soon and we don't see the birth of a new virus.

Someone posted an article earlier about the wet markets being back open already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Outside of that one? One example isn't a trend.

OK I know where this is going.
    If you want to make a point go ahead.
    I think your point is this won't follow the normal route
    most Pandemics follow and only have one wave.
    That's fine go ahead,I think we will see a second wave.
    I won't answer anymore of your posts as it would be futile
    Stay healthy and safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

People getting angry that a financial transaction has made people happy. When I buy food it's a financial transaction but I'm delighted because I'm hungry. It's a totally normal reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Ellsbells1

Jayzee. wrote: »
    Kids do need certainty

Prob is the government can't start estimating timeframes, they have to be guided by the evolving data

But we all know schools are not going to open after Easter, so why can’t they make that official. Schools were the first to close and will prob be the last to open. Their poor lives have just been turned upside down over night and it is hard for them to understand why. For some kids they are isolating away from grandparents who they will never see again, they are missing their friends, the routine of school, have to stay at home all day, worrying about their parents who might have to leave the home for work and god I can’t even imagine how parents and kids who are nurses, doctors, healthcare workers who don’t know when they will see their families again are feeling. The least the government could try and do is be honest with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

How do you decide when to lift the lockdown? Surely things can take off straight after opening everything back up again?

And the government that lifted the lockdown would be held directly responsible for the surge in fatalities. Which is why they will be ultra-cautious about any such move. Especially if Micheal 'Is there anything to be said for commissioning another report' Martin is the taoiseach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why Ireland doesn’t record recover rates like some other countries. A friend from abroad just messaged me and said Ireland has a 90% death rate of closed cases meaning 5 recovered and 46 dead according to the online stats.

Which is clearly not accurate. But just wondering why we don’t record recoveries ? ?

are we not getting an update once a week on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    In my place, there seems to be a fair toxic response to us not shutting... judging by the WhatsApp group chatter

same in my whatapps group, bosses are in it also :pac: no ones said anything, but you can tell by the replies to the comment from the boss saying "We are opened tomorrow" that no one is happy about it. (plenty of sarcastic thumbs up from people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

when the antibody test comes it will be huge.

Can reintroduce immune people to society first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

So many pages to catch up on.
    But how are we,in Ireland, figuring out when people have recovered? In China two clear tests deemed you clear. In some cases the person felt recovered but still tested positive up to a week after,David Abel from Princess Cruise would test negative one day and positive the next coming towards the end and felt perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Is there a reason why Ireland doesn’t record recover rates like some other countries. A friend from abroad just messaged me and said Ireland has a 90% death rate of closed cases meaning 5 recovered and 46 dead according to the online stats.

Which is clearly not accurate. But just wondering why we don’t record recoveries ?
    I’d assume we don’t have enough tests to test for negative results from people who have recovered?

It takes weeks to recover from. So saying we have a low recovery rate is pretty meaningless at this early stage.

Allinall wrote: »
    I’ll repeat my question.

Why does it make any difference?

I've already said that earlier and I'm not repeating my answer because you're too lazy to go back a page and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Nonsense.

A week from now people like you will be admitting you got it wrong.

I will put this in caps so you don't miss the point.

WE ARE ONLY AT THE START.

In terms of deaths and ICU admissions.

We are already swamped and we're just as the start.

It gives me and others on here zero satisfaction to have correctly predicted a number of things such as contact tracing slowly becoming ineffective. The large number of community cases tells us that.

I asked this before but nobody answered. Looking at where we are at now and the fact that the government expect the peak to come mid April what kinda figures do people think we are looking at? I suggested it would be somewhere in the region of 50-100 deaths per day for about a weak before falling back the ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Captain flying would have cleared about 2.5k before tax for the shift. It's borderline pathetic that national media are fawning over a business transaction.

Outside the propagandic value of the media reporting, the actual story is embarrassing to be reporting on.

One of the Pilots is a retired air Corp captain. I was under the impression he volunteered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Which is clearly not accurate. But just wondering why we don’t record recoveries ?
    I’d assume we don’t have enough tests to test for negative results from people who have recovered?

Dr Holohan says they will release these figures soon but it hasn't been a priority for them so far.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Recoveries aren't event driven outside of hospital settings, they "recover" after having 14 days of self-isolation. It's not really an important number to publish for operational/management purposes, but the data is available.

2 negative tests in a hospital is recovered, and this is more important to track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Good to hear that part of the Aer Lingus supplies will be heading to Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Andrea B. wrote: »
    There is no known solution for the COVID-19 epidemic.
    The lockdown is a complete clutch at straws. The only clutch available.
    There was never a sure financial return on searching out a vaccine for this stuff.
    Vaccines are so costly to qualify due to the years and quantities of human trials involved.
    Trials that could lead to worse results to that what they are seeking to eliminate.
    Too high risk for shareholders (us, our pensions....).
    A big pharma is going to invest more in the low risk/high short term result stuff.
    Vaccine researches for Coronavirus had momentum in past, when we were seen at risk, but were shelved when risk decreased.

"Coronaviruses have caused two other recent epidemics – severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) in China in 2002-04, and Middle East respiratory syndrome (Mers), which started in Saudi Arabia in 2012. In both cases, work began on vaccines that were later shelved when the outbreaks were contained."
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/coronavirus-vaccine-when-will-it-be-ready

Bottom line is that the lockdown is not going to guarantee anything.
    We are becoming victims of a greed which we alone have created. Investment in the immediate short-term returns.
    Same greed that stopped authorities immediately shutting down air travel (flying mixing pots), due to the financial lobby which outweighed the medical-advisory lobby.
    Further, there is absolutely no guarantee that this virus will not effect animals. Everything about it is new.

I hope the lockdown approach works though. No plan B.

Science is so cool the way it discovers things and publishes them so you don't have to figure everything out for the first time.

https://twitter.com/handyman1543/status/1243586271580237828?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

MD1990 wrote: »
    when the antibody test comes it will be huge.

Can reintroduce immune people to society first.

Immune person, this is society.
    Society meet immune person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The data also shows that one person aged between 25-34 has died of Covid-19 out of three admitted to ICU.

Is there any info if this person had an underlying condition?

Might this have been the nurse?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement