Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

jamesf85 wrote: »
    The Spanish economy won't last another 2 months of complete lockdown. Not only will their health servicefail, but the ar*e will fall out of their entire economy.

Same for airlines, none of them will be in business if this continues for 2 more months

Tourism is like 20% of Spain's GDP, they are in severe trouble, Italy and France aren't far behind on dependence of tourism.

What is coming, for Ireland? In your opinion.

Realistically, more infections, more serious illness, more deaths, each of which will be a tragedy.

Also realistically, much less such tragedy if people cut out avoidable person to person contact and behave properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

I just hope our leaders don't undermine their great work, with poor decision making!

Well so far they've done everything they've been asked to do by the medical experts. I think you're being unfair to politicians who have stepped up to the plate under enormous pressure. To be honest, i didn't think they had it in them. Remember the bags they made of the cervical check issue by offering repeat tests to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Screenshot-20200326-125411.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's that time again. Paddy cosgrave uses twitter to say something. People call him a pr!ck.

Go nuts. I find the consistency across threads and days comforting.

https://twitter.com/paddycosgrave/status/1243150282999189504?s=20
    As his vainglorious tweets go that one is to be complimented and the stuff is here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-spread-from-china-now-china-doesnt-want-the-world-spreading-it-back/2020/03/04/22a2ff7e-5dc8-11ea-ac50-18701e14e06d_story.html
    There are about 200,000 Chinese from Wenzhou and Qingtian living in Italy, most working in the restaurant business, the Zhejiang Daily reported this week.

That's a lot of Chinese working in Italy. I also know there are many Chinese owned factories in Northern Italy making leather goods with cheap Chinese labour. They make them there in order to get the 'Made in Italy' tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I do wonder was the number of 15000 ever realistic or was it a number the government knew we wouldn't hit and thus make them look like there doing good but more importantly make the public not go into panic mode as "we are below where we should be "

Or on the other hand has closing schools and social distaining could be just worked wonders ,

that figure as far as i know was derived from a 30% infection rate.

there was an academic paper by the imperial college covid 19 response team which goes through lots of scenarios that came out on 16th march
    https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk:8443/handle/10044/1/77482

scary reading if you have notheing else to do

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

What is coming, for Ireland? In your opinion.

About 3/4 that of italy if Italy get hammered for a month of misery we get about 3 wks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

josip wrote: »
    I found this graphic from the BBC (originally John Hopkins Uni) interesting.

kkcqc49.png

It's amazing how the Netherlands have gone from nothing to a serious situation in less than a month. That could be any country who's citizens act like idiots.
    8 weeks self isolation is the only cure to avoid a very serious situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

https://www.mpg.de/14610776/immune-boost-corona-virus

This looks very promising and hopefully it will work. Scientists in Germany are looking at the BCG vaccine. Originally its for TB. Studies on mice show it can protect against viral infections of the respiratory tract.

Fingers crossed it works. Although the BCG is not a vaccine against covid19, hopefully it will bridge a gap until a vaccine is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I would also agree that there is reason to be optimistic regarding the extent to which transmission has been slowed. I though the most positive indication was that contact tracing for new cases is showing that contacts per case is way down in the single digits.

Test results however seem pretty meaningless at the moment. You simply have to assume there is a high multiple of the confirmed positive cases are out there.

That's not the issue though. The figure I would be most concerned about is how many are hospitalised and how many require ICU care. I think the next 10 days to 2 weeks will tell a lot. Now is the time to double down on restricting person to person contact. It does work to slow the spread.
    The number of positive cases in Ireland doubled in the last 4 days - The nightmare scenario was a doubling in 3 days.

Yesterday's figures said in total 305 (~20%) had been hospitalised, 39 in ICU (~2.5%).

Tallaght hospital is reported to be relocating paediatric services to Crumlin and Blanchardstown in order to facilitate accommodating more adults suffering from Covid-19.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. Utter sky is falling down hysterical nonsense. Japan and Taiwan and closer to home Germany have not become Italy, Spain or France. There are many factors involved. Ireland has a few advantages. We have one of the lowest population densities in the western world. The majority live in one family dwellings rather than in very population dense vertical housing. That's a huge difference alone. Where are the real hotspots in other countries? Densely populated urban centres with lots of people mixing(compare London to the rest of the UK as an example) We're also low in numbers needing hospitalisation and low in those numbers when the partial lockdown was started. Will those numbers climb? Of course, but to suggest we're looking down the barrel of a Madrid, Lombardy, New York, London et al is hysteria at this stage.

I be back to this post in about 10 days
    I haven't read much of the tread but you've been fairly far off the mark so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Lavinia wrote: »
    I presume re immunity its going to be same as any other flu. you do not get immune to any flu if you had it, maybe get slightly more resistant but it means nothing if your immune system gets low you can get it again no probs

me personally never got any vaccine either for anything

no immune system no immunity

that's a given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

I never took much notice of that number anyway... they never gave indication of what they were basing it off.

We probably are slightly below where we could/should be at this moment in time. But I am more inclined to say this is down to the excellent doctors, nurses and army of support staff we have in this country... rather than the government measures, which have been a bit underwhelming tbh.
    !

Really? Closing down most offices and pubs and restaurants is hardly underwhelming.

I had to go into work on Tuesday to pick up something I needed to bring home and there was literally not one other person on the Dart carriage in Pearse at 9AM. Cycling through Dublin yesterday afternoon a friend took a picture of a city that looked like a scene from 28 days later.

Thats a huge response, in fact a total lockdown would do very little more. What else to do, lock people in unless they have dogs to walk?

Stopping one person from infecting 2 or 3, but instead infecting slightly less than 1, is enough to stop the virus spread, and kill it off.

Nevertheless if the daily increase in deaths start to increase in a week, we should do more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Nice story about cuban doctors in Italy
    https://twitter.com/Ruptly/status/1242436754692608011?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Hurrache wrote: »
    Following on from yesterday, paying to promote this tweet rather than just doing it for the sake of goodness and let it be shared naturally, he wants everyone to know.
    [url]

Maybe the character he's shown the last few weeks has made me over cynical.

are they the 'proper 12' ones mcgregor got in ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I haven't read much of the tread but you've been fairly far off the mark so far.

I think Wibbs has been one of the most coherent posters to be fair. He was entirely correct on the stupidity and selfishness of the crowded panic buying which thankfully seems to have abated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

BCG vaccine was widely used in Ireland in the 70s/80s in schools, IIRC
    owlbethere wrote: »
    https://www.mpg.de/14610776/immune-boost-corona-virus

This looks very promising and hopefully it will work. Scientists in Germany are looking at the BCG vaccine. Originally its for TB. Studies on mice show it can protect against viral infections of the respiratory tract.

Fingers crossed it works. Although the BCG is not a vaccine against covid19, hopefully it will bridge a gap until a vaccine is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

FVP3 wrote: »
    Really? Closing down most offices and pubs and restaurants is hardly underwhelming.

I had to go into work on Tuesday to pick up something I needed to bring home and there was literally not one other person on the Dart carriage in Pearse at 9AM. Cycling through Dublin yesterday afternoon a friend took a picture of a city that looked like a scene from 28 days later.

Thats a huge response, in fact a total lockdown would do very little more. What else to do, lock people in unless they have dogs to walk?

Stopping one person from infecting 2 or 3, but instead infecting slightly less than 1, is enough to stop the virus spread, and kill it off.

Nevertheless if the daily increase in deaths start to increase in a week, we should do more.

Unfortunately this is not how it works, but it is something to aspire to nonetheless. All we can do is reset the virus clock back to day one, from which it is free to spread once again. A vaccine is the only solution to this, or more effective treatment that is widely available, which is impractical given the scale of the pandemic.

Resetting the pandemic clock to day one buys us time, but it is never business as usual again, as we will see in the coming months in china. They will be fighting an ongoing battle against outbreaks, quarantines, tracing the infected, lockdowns, business closures etc until the vaccine arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

kyote00 wrote: »
    BCG vaccine was widely used in Ireland in the 70s/80s in schools, IIRC

And the UK. I had the “stapler” test, but must have had immunity already as I didn’t need the big needle (and missed out on the big lumpy scar so many people of my generation have)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boards version of exponential growth. As a matter of interest what topic holds the record for most threads/posts on this site? The 2008 financial collapse must be there or thereabouts.

I've just had a scan at thread view count across various forums

The largest I can find is 5.8 million in the daily weather forecast thread, over getting on for 12 years though

AH has had 10 threads at over 1 million

Soccer has had around 7 or 8, with a couple over the 2 million barrier

In Current Affairs we inherited the current Gangland Shooting thread which stands at 4.5m

8 of the 10 Coronavirus megathreads have had more than a million views!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I suspect you won't. He was right, you are posting hysterical nonsense which has no basis in fact. It's a stressful enough time for many people without you adding fuel to the fire with unsubstantiated rubbish

I think Wibbs has been one of the most coherent posters to be fair. He was entirely correct on the stupidity and selfishness of the crowded panic buying which thankfully seems to have abated.

How relevant is panic buying discussion in the face of whats coming.
    It more an online thing in that the discussion/memes jokes about the thing was bigger than the thing itself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Beasty wrote: »
    I've just had a scan at thread view count across various forums

The largest I can find is 5.8 million in the daily weather forecast thread, over getting on for 12 years though

You'll never beat the Weather Forum! Just don't allow chat in the threads, that's the key! :pac:

I suspect you won't. He was right, you are posting hysterical nonsense which has no basis in fact. It's a stressful enough time for many people without you adding fuel to the fire with unsubstantiated rubbish

You don't have to read the thread
    Should i leave so you can read on and comfort yourself

Im talking about the future and whats gonna happen nobody has any facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

crossman47 wrote: »
    Well so far they've done everything they've been asked to do by the medical experts. I think you're being unfair to politicians who have stepped up to the plate under enormous pressure. To be honest, i didn't think they had it in them. Remember the bags they made of the cervical check issue by offering repeat tests to all.

I don't think I am...

I think they've had the sense to get out of their own way, basically, and take the advice of people more knowledgeable than them.

But they have still made quite a few mistakes so far, and could make a few more... if we're lucky they won't be big costly ones!

We're not through this thing by a long shot. If they do manage to get the country through it and out the other end in reasonable shape... I will have no problem giving them the praise they deserve. But my scepticism about their abilities is very well placed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope you are all healthy and safe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The news on about mortuaries already :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. Utter sky is falling down hysterical nonsense. Japan and Taiwan and closer to home Germany have not become Italy, Spain or France. There are many factors involved. Ireland has a few advantages. We have one of the lowest population densities in the western world. The majority live in one family dwellings rather than in very population dense vertical housing. That's a huge difference alone. Where are the real hotspots in other countries? Densely populated urban centres with lots of people mixing(compare London to the rest of the UK as an example) We're also low in numbers needing hospitalisation and low in those numbers when the partial lockdown was started. Will those numbers climb? Of course, but to suggest we're looking down the barrel of a Madrid, Lombardy, New York, London et al is hysteria at this stage.

Italy and Spain are in fact beginning to beat the exponential curve too.

You are totally correct on the fact that the deaths and hospitalizations here are not all that scary, so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted yet - Covid Globe, it's fed live data from worldometers.

https://www.covidvisualizer.com/

That reminds me of UFO: Enemy Unknown, should I be sending teams to virus hit areas?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement