Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

The tubes in London are not packed. Traffic is down close to 95% according to Khan, and there are a lot of photos from days ago that are being presented as happening yesterday / today. It’s fake news. London is very quiet

fewer trains at rush hour = more people will squeeze onto the remaining trains at that time.

they've also closed numerous tube stations which aren't major intersections - which means even more people squeezing onto the remaining stations.

so despite the overall traffic being down 95% , the remaining 5% is being squeezed onto a much depleted service.

Also, they didn't introduce any police to patrol the entrances , to control the flow of people.

By way of comparison , this is what the Italians did :

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

16 Aer Lingus flights from London to Dublin tomorrow. Check yourself if you don't believe me.

I'd love to believe everyone on them is an essential traveller.

However we found out with the Italian flights that tourists continued to flock here for a break or Italians flew here to stay with friends in Dublin when Italian infections started to take off.

Passenger jets carry a lot of cargo, EI doesn't have any specific cargo planes, but does handle a lot of cargo, An Post being a large user for one.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Jesus. 27 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Xertz wrote: »
    Rapid test kits for both active virus and antibodies are very likely to emerge quickly. They're already in existence just they need to upscale the manufacturing to get them out to people.

It should be possible to test someone for antibodies with a simple dot of blood on a test kit, much like some of those home diagnostic kits for doing your blood sugars. They already exist for things like antibodies for lots of other things.
    This will be a good step towards returning to normalcy ............. well, to a new normal.
    Getting the Covid-immune back to work first should be the goal.
    And we'll go from there ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Community spread is already occuring in Ireland. The WHO said that concentrating on stopping flights is not important at this stage, not that there are many flights if at all. The first case of coronavirus in Northern Ireland came from the Republic. Looks like they should have closed the border to the South.

No they didn't, the passenger who was from Northern Ireland flew in Dublin and travelled straight to Belfast. That doesn't mean they came from Ireland, they came from Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

It's amazing how the Netherlands have gone from nothing to a serious situation in less than a month. That could be any country who's citizens act like idiots.
    8 weeks self isolation is the only cure to avoid a very serious situation.

The recent stats from the Netherlands:

The number of people who have tested positive rose by 1,019 to 7,431 in the past 24 hours. Of that total, 434 patients have died, an increase of 78 from statistics release on Wednesday, public health agency RIVM said.

Of those hospitalized, 1,774 also had an additional health condition. Thirty percent of those had cardiovascular disease or were hypertensive, 16.5 percent had a chronic lung affliction, and 14.5 percent required treatment for diabetes. Those three categories were also the most common conditions affecting 388 patients who had a prior health condition before passing away.

The RIVM continues to test on a more limited scale compared to other countries, with the RIVM saying it tests about a thousand people per day, and Health Minister Hugo de Jonge putting that maximum capacity at two thousand tests daily. A key limiting factor is the scarcity of supplies

Source: https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/26/another-thousand-coronavirus-patients-discovered-78-died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Not to put a dampener on it. More data is being made available.
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1241591569385390080?s=20

76 patients
    46 mild
    30 were severe

Of the 30, 23 required ICU

It says the severe group were "significantly older than the mild group"

Is that broken down any further? I mean it could mean that 30 were all 70/80 years plus which would give a far greater chance of underlying conditions etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

This fine weather isn't helping..

I'm working from home, door bell rings, not really expecting anyone. I answer and its one of my teenage sons friends asking is he going out... a quick no and he turns on his heels down the drive only to be met by 4 others and further up the road a couple of girls... so that's a group of 6 and possibly more within the estate roaming about.

I feel somewhat sorry for them but the parents have to take responsibility here. Looking about though my neighbours are doing a stellar job at showing how not to social distance

Its stuff like this that makes me worry about where we are going to end up infection wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

lobbylad wrote: »
    Passenger jets carry a lot of cargo, EI doesn't have any specific cargo planes, but does handle a lot of cargo, An Post being a large user for one.......

We don't actually know who or what is on the flights. But you can still book a seat on the flights.

There's tens of thousands of Irish in the UK currently and millions of Irish descent with relatives here.

They need to sit it out and not potentially bring infections here otherwise we haven't a hope in hell of flattening the curve anytime soon.

And that means lockdowns and restrictions continue indefinitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Airlines run on extremely small margins and no that's just not how it works or can ever work. Most don't even own their aircraft the lease them and have to continue to do so, they leases warehouse space, fuel storage etc they are highly leveraged and don't have many assets they can sell to prop them up. They are kept going by the bookings being made daily and right now there are none...

That still doesn't explain it, so they lease the planes, its not like the lease companies have other customers waiting to take over the lease if company xxx doesn't. Same goes for warehouses etc, they will all take a hit but will all be needed once this passes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

grogi wrote: »
    It tests for antibodies, not for the virus itself.

Oh. I stand corrected. I had no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Ninthlife wrote: »

I'm working from home, door bell rings, not really expecting anyone. I answer and its one of my teenage sons friends asking is he going out... a quick no and he turns on his heels down the drive only to be met by 4 others and further up the road a couple of girls... so that's a group of 6 and possibly more within the estate roaming about.

I feel somewhat sorry for them but the parents have to take responsibility here. Looking about though my neighbours are doing a stellar job at showing how not to social distance

Its stuff like this that makes me worry about where we are going to end up infection wise

Expect tighter restrictions.

People just can't stay at home.

We'll prolong getting back to normality because people need to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Expect tighter restrictions.

People just can't stay at home.

We'll prolong getting back to normality because people need to get out.

I'd welcome tighter restrictions as there are still people just not listening and being pure ignorant about the whole thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cases in South Africa at almost 1000 now, it had 3 cases two and half weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

givyjoe wrote: »
    That simply isn't true. 50% of confirmed cases in Iceland were asymptomatic. It will never be under control if we dont find those people.

Your talking about testing the whole country then ? That's completely unrealistic and a waste of resources, resources which could be put towards confirming a positive test in those who are most at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

wakka12 wrote: »
    When you contract a virus you develop antibodies to fight it off, they remain in your body to fight the infecton if it returns. If you take a blood sample that shows those antibodies are present in your body it proves you had the virus

No one knows how long the immunity to coronavirus lasts for, or even if it is effective against future infections. It's only been known to science for 3 months.

Four of the seven known human coronaviruses cause the common cold every year, and immunity to one infection does not seem to be effective in preventing the next year's illnesses.

An effective vaccine against coronavirus has never been produced to date.

This is the shaky ground on which the 'Herd Immunity' theory is built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd welcome tighter restrictions as there are still people just not listening and being pure ignorant about the whole thing

ud imagine its done this way by design,
    Each week or so put tighter restriction in place untill its a proper full lockdown ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Had to do my shopping there in Galway and get petrol.

Construction workers are everywhere. God help them in a few weeks time when they get this virus.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Construction workers are everywhere. God help them in a few weeks time when they get this virus.

Heard on the news at 3pm that they have been given 48 hours to get their act together (set up safe working practices/measures).

Groups of people out walking together. Youngsters kicking ball together.
    Summer has arrived for some. Dopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

No they didn't, the passenger who was from Northern Ireland flew in Dublin and travelled straight to Belfast. That doesn't mean they came from Ireland, they came from Italy.

They passed though a travel hub in this case it was Dublin because Dublin didn't close it's boarder to flights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can't abide the sound of what passes for a human voice outa him. Even if he was telling me I'd won the euromillions. His voice grates. Forget waterboarding, I'd instantly fold under questioning if that wheezy old guff peddler was asking the questions.

Filing that away for use later on.

If anyone is looking for something to do without spending https://archive.org/ has free collections of books, audiobooks, music and games; they're all free.

Another good source for free books is https://www.gutenberg.org/.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Heard on the news at 3pm that they have been given 48 hours to get their act together (set up safe working practices/measures).

Asking for the impossible tbh, large scale construction is not compatible with social distancing.

Trades can operate for sure - eg. plumbers, electricians doing small domestic/emergency work, but large sites such as exo, the NCH, large apartment and housing projects are simply unsustainable right now. IMO.

more confusion from the UK police

"Greater Manchester Police have confirmed that members of the public are allowed to travel to and from allotments as part of their daily exercise set out by the government. The clarification comes after a BBC Radio Manchester listener asked the chief constable, Ian Hopkins, if they could still tend to theirs."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/26/uk-coronavirus-live-news-updates-self-employed-rishi-sunakhospital-car-parking-charges-waived-for-nhs-staff-in-england?page=with:block-5e7cc4f88f081e5eda2374c8#block-5e7cc4f88f081e5eda2374c8

Note to Irish readers : "allotments" can be miles away from your home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭brick tamland

16 Aer Lingus flights from London to Dublin tomorrow. Check yourself if you don't believe me.

However we found out with the Italian flights that tourists continued to flock here for a break or Italians flew here to stay with friends in Dublin when Italian infections started to take off.

Family member is a pilot. Says these flights have minimal passengers but are still flying for cargo reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Kivaro wrote: »
    This will be a good step towards returning to normalcy ............. well, to a new normal.
    Getting the Covid-immune back to work first should be the goal.
    And we'll go from there ......

Well, one hopes that it actually triggers strong natural immunity as if it's anything like the coronavirus group that causes cold-like symptoms and is one of the frequent causes of "The Common Cold" then we could be stuck with it for a long time.

The jury's still out on that one: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24532754-600-can-you-catch-the-coronavirus-twice-we-dont-know-yet/

Hopefully it does trigger strong immunity though. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

76 patients
    46 mild
    30 were severe

Of the 30, 23 required ICU

It says the severe group were "significantly older than the mild group"

Is that broken down any further? I mean it could mean that 30 were all 70/80 years plus which would give a far greater chance of underlying conditions etc

There's the appendix. Provides more details but maybe not what you are looking for. Age seems to be controlled for.

EDIT: link to study in tweet.
    https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099%2820%2930232-2

507094.png

https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30232-2/attachment/92c2d8b3-8306-4c92-964c-1695fb00fe05/mmc1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's amazing how the Netherlands have gone from nothing to a serious situation in less than a month. That could be any country who's citizens act like idiots.
    8 weeks self isolation is the only cure to avoid a very serious situation.

I'm not surprised though. Apart from a few of the small city states, the Netherlands is the most densely populated country in Europe (a useless fact I did actually know before all this started).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Your talking about testing the whole country then ? That's completely unrealistic and a waste of resources, resources which could be put towards confirming a positive test in those who are most at risk

No, im talking about testing as many people as possible and continuing to try and ramp up the capacity. It quite clearly isn't a waste of resources if potentially 50% of cases show no symptoms, which means it will never be under control. We'll instead go through endless cycles of lockdown and easing of measures. There are no guarantees re: vaccines.

I should add, not looking for/testing for asymptomatic cases, puts those very same at risk people in danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Family member is a pilot. Says these flights have minimal passengers but are still flying for cargo reasons.

It only takes one 'Typhoid Mary' to start another few clusters, and another wild goose chase for our public health people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Well why can you still book a seat online?

If they are cargo flights, take them off the website.

Fact is no-one on here knows who's on the flights, if they are infected with covid 19 and more to the point where they are going once they get off the flights.

This is not the way to control the spread of covid 19. Its asking for trouble.

You'd think we'd learn from the Italian flights, but nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yep, people need to be sensible I know not everyone has a garden, but if you do, just go and sit in it and pour yourself a beer. It's pretty relaxing (although in my case a couple of young kids can ruin the serenity a bit!) and in reality not a very big sacrifice to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

The US unemployment claims are frightening, surely something similar is going to happen here?

Like it or not by many countries, if not most, are heading for their worst contraction ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Never heard of this movie. 1971. Lots of similarities.

Don't look if you do not like movies about outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I still don't understand the 7-14 days thing.

If you are not living with someone who has suspected Covid-19 but you may have been exposed is 7 days self isolation to wait for symptoms to occur enough. Or should you be doing it for 14?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

One flight from Paris to Cork yesterday had 3 passengers and 4 crew

Numbers definitely very small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just a reminder of what we have to come next week. It may be grim reading but this is why the lockdowns/restrictions cannot last too long.
    More than three million Americans signed on for jobless benefit last week, as the Covid-19 outbreak hit the US economy hard.

Dublin airport is not a problem. I have flown to London and back in the last week, for essential reasons. And I have never been more isolated. The airports are dead, the planes empty, and sanitisers and wipes everywhere. Whether fights from certain areas should have been stopped weeks ago is a different question. Right now, restricting travel, at least London to Dublin, needn’t be the priority.

Of course people should isolate upon arrival, but I would do that anyway and, from what I saw, those that are travelling are careful and conscientious.....not frivolous tourists

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cases in South Africa at almost 1000 now, it had 3 cases two and half weeks ago

Gerry Ryan;s ex, Melanie Voervood has said her two children have it

Northern Ireland’s Public Health Agency have confirmed 32 new positive cases of Covid-19, bringing the total number of recorded cases to 241.

The number of patients who have died also rose by three to 10 on Thursday.

source: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/26/uk-coronavirus-live-news-updates-self-employed-rishi-sunakhospital-car-parking-charges-waived-for-nhs-staff-in-england?page=with:block-5e7cc79b8f0878a2a48aac39#block-5e7cc79b8f0878a2a48aac39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I still don't understand the 7-14 days thing.

If you are not living with someone who has suspected Covid-19 but you may have been exposed is 7 days self isolation to wait for symptoms to occur enough. Or should you be doing it for 14?

14 days.

The US unemployment claims are frightening, surely something similar is going to happen here?

Like it or not by many countries, if not most, are heading for their worst contraction ever.

Yeah 18% unemployment predicted here during the crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

There's the appendix. Provides more details but maybe not what you are looking for. Age seems to be controlled for.

EDIT: link to study in tweet.
    https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1473-3099%2820%2930232-2

507094.png

https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30232-2/attachment/92c2d8b3-8306-4c92-964c-1695fb00fe05/mmc1.pdf

Thanks

You know what I find interesting only 13 of the 30 had a cough, even if 13 of the 23 needing ICU were those that leaves 10 without cough in ICU

I would have thought nearly all ICU form this would have the cough as I assumed the lungs being effected would be the main thing and need oxygen and ventilator etc. I wonder if they 10 had underlying conditions that contributed to needing the ICU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Northern Ireland’s Public Health Agency have confirmed 32 new positive cases of Covid-19, bringing the total number of recorded cases to 241.

The number of patients who have died also rose by three to 10 on Thursday.

source: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/mar/26/uk-coronavirus-live-news-updates-self-employed-rishi-sunakhospital-car-parking-charges-waived-for-nhs-staff-in-england?page=with:block-5e7cc79b8f0878a2a48aac39#block-5e7cc79b8f0878a2a48aac39

They say 3716 tests. How many was it yesterday. Ie what's the growth in test numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Well why can you still book a seat online?

If they are cargo flights, take them off the website.

Fact is no-one on here knows who's on the flights, if they are infected with covid 19 and more to the point where they are going once they get off the flights.

This is not the way to control the spread of covid 19. Its asking for trouble.

You'd think we'd learn from the Italian flights, but nope.

You can't highlight these things... our government is doing an amazing job, and has everything under control. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

is_that_so wrote: »
    Just a reminder of what we have to come next week. It may be grim reading but this is why the lockdowns/restrictions cannot last too long.

In fairness with the amount of wealth they have over there they should be able to weather the storm and keep anyone from going hungry. However in that country sharing the wealth is seen as anti Christian and Communist for some reason, they really are a bunch of oddballs, it's really becoming apparent during this crisis what matters to America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You can't highlight these things... our government is doing an amazing job, and has everything under control. :rolleyes:

Yesterday there was 88 ( all citizens) passenger to fly from Dublin to America during the course of the whole day , Normally there's about 5000 this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

Wibbs wrote: »
    I can't abide the sound of what passes for a human voice outa him. Even if he was telling me I'd won the euromillions. His voice grates. Forget waterboarding, I'd instantly fold under questioning if that wheezy old guff peddler was asking the questions.

George Lee telling you that you've won the lottery:
    "A classic 1978 study on this compared 22 lottery winners with 22 people who didn't win any money and 29 people who were paralyzed in accidents. What they found was that winning the lottery didn't increase long-term happiness, and being paralyzed in an accident didn't decrease long-term happiness."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

They say 3716 tests. How many was it yesterday. Ie what's the growth in test numbers.

Previous report says 3,372, so 344 tests conducted in NI yesterday - given they have roughly one-third of our population, that would be the equivalent of the Republic conducting 1,000 tests per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Asking for the impossible tbh, large scale construction is not compatible with social distancing.

Trades can operate for sure - eg. plumbers, electricians doing small domestic/emergency work, but large sites such as exo, the NCH, large apartment and housing projects are simply unsustainable right now. IMO.

Facebook halted work on their massive new data centre in Clonee last week.

Fair play to them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement