Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Home Rentals - May 2nd

Options
  • 26-03-2020 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I have 2 holiday homes rented for a family trip in Ireland on May 2nd. It was supposed to be for 2 families to meet up for the weekend (one of the families is travelling from the USA). I've paid in full for both holiday homes at a considerable cost.

I've contacted the property owner requesting a refund, but the owner is only wiling to offer a 12 month credit on the properties. This isn't a scenario that will work for us as neither of the families live in Ireland and won't be able to avail of the credit note.

Do we have any rights to obtain a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Dialogue is your best option to start
    Be polite, and convey your issues
    Is there anything in a contract that you signed on this matter?

stand firm with the owner and let him now you might make use of Social media at a later point if needs be only if the owner is being an absolute ^*&*
    I would say name and shame but Boards probably wont allow that

No one will want to get bad press in the current climate

But as mentioned firstly be polite and engage in conversation fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

did you book through AirBnB or another website or another method like direct contact. you need to make yurself aware of your rights under the T's & C's as a starting point.

it is hard to speculate what rights you have without specific details and knowing what T&C you accepted when booking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say it hasn't been booked with AirBNB, they are giving full refunds. They are not even charging the service fee right now. I cancelled a AirBNB booking for early April just the other day and got a 100% refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

we have extended family members that have to holiday in ireland every year.

they get shafted on lettings re price , but their criteria - 2 dogs has it that way. But some of the places they've rented were nuts money for 2 weeks and you get nothing bar the 4 walls and crusty furniture, even in modern enough builds.

( we cancelled and airbnb apartment for april and got a refund within 24hrs, impressive , airbnb is all we use now anywhere abroad )

@ tonytoc11 , see link below, not sure if it will help, maybe send them an email

https://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/package-holidays/

the fact this crisis re the covid19 (alleged "virus") is worldwide, the person you are renting from should give you a full deposit. Its the right thing to do. But being good old ireland, fast buck , shaft everyone in the process as quickly as you can is the way its been for years now.

hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tonytoc11

Hi Op

did you book through AirBnB or another website or another method like direct contact. you need to make yurself aware of your rights under the T's & C's as a starting point.

it is hard to speculate what rights you have without specific details and knowing what T&C you accepted when booking.

It's booked through booking.com, but they seem to be taking a hands off approach to refunds and leaving people discuss it directly with the property owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    It's booked through booking.com, but they seem to be taking a hands off approach to refunds and leaving people discuss it directly with the property owners.

Booking.com are just an intermediary, facilitating contact between the person making the trip and the property owner.

From their t&cs

By using or utilizing the Trip Service (e.g. by making a Trip Reservation through the Trip Service), you enter into a direct (legally binding) contractual relationship with the Trip Provider with which you make a reservation or purchase a product or service (as applicable). From the point at which you make your Trip Reservation, we act solely as an intermediary between you and the Trip Provider, transmitting the relevant details of your Trip Reservation to the relevant Trip Provider(s) and sending you a confirmation email for and on behalf of the Trip Provider. Booking.com does not (re)sell, rent out, offer any (travel) product or service.

Looks like you will have to appeal to the owners sense of fair play, they are offering the service, you just can’t avail of it.

What is the owner’s advertised cancellation policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Apologies for hijacking your thread- just a quick question about booking.com.

I've paid a deposit for my hotel - who has this money? Booking.com or the hotel owner

Advertisement