Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severed lawnmower electrical cable.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bruthal, I get you man. Perspective is fine and all. I get it.

My point is, why would you take the risk of using a jointed flex, when you can completely avoid that risk. Shortening the cable beyond the damaged section involved no cost and no greater effort or time than joining - so why not just do it rather than gambling with a botch job.

Yes, As I said, I would replace the cable myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

People seem to be insistent on taking the more dangerous option. Good luck to ye lads.

You can't just replace the whole cable as easy as your trying to make out. The connection inside the lawnmower will probably be sealed in an epoxy type setup plus you'd have to install a regular plug on the other end which wouldn't be as safe as the moulded one supplied with the machine which is kinda waterproof.
    Cable repair is easy and can be done correctly with a quick look on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Electrical safety is often not given sufficient attention. I’ve been wary since my sister in law’s brother was electrocuted when I was a teenager. He did nothing wrong, it was a faulty installation.

Having said this, a bit of common sense goes a long way. The best way to ensure electrical safety with garden tools is to have a RCD either fixed or portable. Most modern houses have RCDs in the consumer unit that protects the socket. I also use a portable RCD with my extension lead. This ensures protection, when using it away from home.
    blackbox wrote: »
    Unless you immerse it water greater than 1.5m deep, or in water less than 1.5m deep for more than half an hour, you’ll be grand from a water/rain perspective. Mechanically it should be no less safe than the connector within the lawnmower.
    Deagol wrote: »
    I did the same with a hedge clippers; joined it back up by twisting wires together and soldering them, then heat shrinking each individual wire and then double heat shrinking the whole outer section. Bit of work but guaranteed as safe as before the cut :)
    Been there, done that. :)
    No it damn well isn't. No way.
    The soldered wires provide mechanical strength and the heat shrink electrical safety. What’s your concern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I have never seen epoxy potted terminal connections inside an electrical appliance or tool. And I have replaced a fair few flexes in my time. That would not be a great design as it would preclude replacement of a damaged flex.

Yes you would have to install a regular plug on the other end. but that is typically in a socket and not down at ground level being pulled around the grass behind you.

Of course, and RCD is very advisable. But having an RCD is not to be relied upon and used as a justification for taking avoidable risks with poor repairs. You are then placing all your faith in the RCD functioning correctly - a dangerous attitude to take.

Again my point stands. That might be a waterproof connector - but will it be waterproof after being pulled, dragged and kicked around the place, getting occasionally pulled apart and getting dust and dirt inside, for a few months,? Would you be willing to gamble on it being waterproof after 6 months of that? I wouldn't.
    The soldered wires provide mechanical strength and the heat shrink electrical safety. What’s your concern?

My concern is that a) the soldered wires are more rigid and are more brittle and likley to snap after extended use than the original flex. and b) the insulation of the flex is compromised. Heat shrinking while it may work ok. is never going to to be waterproof and durable to the same extent of the original flex insulation. It is also probably much thinner. And again, is it going to be as durable after being pulled and kicked around a garden for a few months. I doubt it.
    So no, it is not "guaranteed to be just as safe as the original" is it?

My point again is it is so easy to replace the flex. It is no more difficult to replace it than patch it. And much safer. In fact, if shortening the flex slightly is not going to cause a problem length wise, then shortening and reconnecting is 100% free and even easier to do as there is less wires to be stripped and prepared. And you also get to keep the moulded plug n the end.

Why not take the safest option if it is easy and free? Why subsitute to a more dangerous alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If the trip switch kicked in when the lead was cut would it not kick in again if anything went wrong ie the join coming apart and the socket side coming in contact with wet grass. I agree there is a serious danger if this happens.

What if the op parcel wrapped the joiner box? ( I know that it would be easier, safer and simpler to replace the whole cable)

• Advertisement

I ask this now for ye to consider..

If you brought that mower to a reputable and competent service and repair shop for electric mowers, and asked them to repair it, what do you think they would do?

Would they replace the flex completely or at least shorten the cable and reconnect if it was acceptable to the owner, provided that the rest of the cable was inspected and found to be in good condition?

Or would they joint up the cable with some fittings from amazon, or solder and sleeve it or wrap it all up in a big mat of tape and cable ties?

I can tell you they would be doing the former. The reason? They don't want to run the risk of the owner being shocked or killed and then ending up in court being faced with defending a negligence case because they knowingly did a botch repair job that was less safe than the very reasonably practicable alternative repair involving replacing or cutting back the cable.

If the trip switch kicked in when the lead was cut would it not kick in again if anything went wrong ie the join coming apart and the socket side coming in contact with wet grass. I agree there is a serious danger if this happens.

Would you be willing to place your life on that trip switch working perfectly and instantly?
    Rrelying on RCDs as a subsitute for good practice around insulation, plugs and flexes is a very dangerous attitude to take.
    What if the op parcel wrapped the joiner box? ( I know that it would be easier, safer and simpler to replace the whole cable)

I actually cannot believe I read that. Are you trying to take the piss now or something?

To cut back the damaged section would be actually far easier and quicker. Only one end of the flex to prepare, fix in one set of terminals, put the cover back on. No tape or messing around. And you don't have to go any buy a junction box or a roll of tape even.
    And guess what, it is far safer and much more likely to last. And you are not potentially letting you life hang on the reliability of an RCD that probably wasn't inspected or tested since the day it was installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Wow - One person asks one simple question and 3 pages of in-fighting.. get a grip you've all made your points.. No one cares about however many years of past battles you guys have had.

(Reminder to myself never to ask advice on this forum..)

OP - it look only a couple of feet from the lawnmower - can you access where the terminal connects as I looks the safest option. I would normally be tempted to patch it in years gone buy, but it really would be a very temporary solution until you can get more cable or something more permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I got a shock from one of these a couple years ago. Bloody frightening and hurt my back with the jump I took to get away from it. Don't take any chances

And another thing I will say, if the OP is concerned that they do not have the skills to take off the cover on the mower and reconnect terminals, then they are not competent to do it and they have no business meddling with electrics of any sort. Leave it to some competent person to do the repair.

The very fact that they are contemplating joining up the flex would to me suggest that they are not competent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I can tell you they would be doing the former. The reason?

The reason? Whichever they can bill more for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kenmm wrote: »
    Wow - One person asks one simple question and 3 pages of in-fighting.. get a grip you've all made your points.. No one cares about however many years of past battles you guys have had.

OP - it look only a couple of feet from the lawnmower - can you access where the terminal connects as I looks the safest option. I would normally be tempted to patch it in years gone buy, but it really would be a very temporary solution until you can get more cable or something more permanent.

These are permanent solution and come with new Flymo mowers. I dont understand why people are talking as if they are a botch job.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-orange-connector-2-pin/46232

ALL garden equipment should be plugged into an RCD too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

listermint wrote: »
    These are permanent solution and come with new Flymo mowers. I dont understand why people are talking as if they are a botch job.

Thats what I meant by 'more permanent'. Hard to tell, but it looked close enough to the lawnmower anyway. The person may have grass than needs cutting today and therefore saves a trip to the shop!

The reason? Whichever they can bill more for :pac:

I don't think so. Cutting back the cable actually should be cheaper because no new parts would be needed.

And I can tell you, it would be a lot cheaper than being nailed for many tens of thousands in compensation and increased insurance premia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Would swa be a good strong cable for the mower?

Podge201 wrote: »
    Would swa be a good strong cable for the mower?

Yea 10sq if you can.

kenmm wrote: »

If you have to ask you need a REC :D

SWA cable would be totally inappropriate for this.
    That is armoured cable. It would be far to stiff and inflexible.

What you need here is flex, not cable. there is a difference.
    If you have to ask you need a REC :D

That's it like. If you have to ask a question about basic electrics, that is a sign that you haven't a clue and you have no business meddling and fiddling with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Yea 10sq if you can.
    Would give 100 metre cable length. Good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Podge201 wrote: »
    Would give 100 metre cable length. Good call.

If you can't source SWA then regular 10sq in a length of 5" duct will do in a pinch.

• Advertisement

Not advertising buy I recently bought a battery operated mower. 40v. Does the job no bother and only needs a recharge every 2nd cut ( medium front and back) and even then only 1 hour from flat. Really happy with it. I have a petrol mower but I don’t intend use it again. I had an electric mower many moons ago, difference is night and day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

te
    No it damn well isn't. No way.

If you seriously think I would let my family use something that wasn't 100% safe.....

I used heavy duty, adhesive heat shrink, total of three layers between live and outer so 100% no chance of soldered ends cutting through plus it's at least as waterproof as the flex - which technically isn't rated waterproof anyway.

If you go with your premise that anything is possible, then there are plenty other things that could go wrong but billion to one they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

joeysoap wrote: »
    Not advertising buy I recently bought a battery operated mower. 40v. Does the job no bother and only needs a recharge every 2nd cut ( medium front and back) and even then only 1 hour from flat. Really happy with it. I have a petrol mower but I don’t intend use it again. I had an electric mower many moons ago, difference is night and day

Anyone else think that SEAI should grant aid the purchase of battery lawnmowers ?

Never thought of that. Anyway there’ll be no money left for this. It’s a great job though, should have changed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

If OP had one of these it would never have happened ( and its a great workout :D )

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lawn-mowers-review.com%2Fimages%2Fbully-38-luxe-reel-mower-21248124.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

gebbel wrote: »
    Accidentally ran over it cutting the grass. I’m asking if a safe repair is possible and if so how could it be done. Skill level is good when wiring 3 pin plugs. Many thanks.

Cut off the cable at the damaged section
    Rewire the plug on the good section of cable to your mower.
    You will now be left with a shorter cable so you probably will need an extension lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

listermint wrote: »

One of those wired close to the mower will solve the problem

Should have thought of that as I had one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP get a battery operated mower, makes life much easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

OP here. Just to update that I repaired it myself using the 2 pin connector that was linked early in the thread. Thanks to the poster for that. Straightforward job and very safely done. Appreciate all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

OP here. Just to update that I repaired it myself using the 2 pin connector that was linked early in the thread. Thanks to the poster for that. Straightforward job and very safely done. Appreciate all the replies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement