Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone Line - Broadband Cabinet Change

• 26-03-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Having terrible problems with my broadband service speeds are terrible guarantied 100mpbs standard speed on sign up , runs at 4mpbs , because the cabinet is 3.8KM from my address ,Really looking to get on fibre ASAP anyway, Got 8+ in the house trying to do stuff online all day

Had a technician hook it up for before Christmas he told me out straight he wouldn’t haven’t bothered paying 45.00 a month for that service , said it was terrible ,

He did a check at my local exchange when he came he found out I’m 3.8KM from exchange my house is that old
    and I’m not on the closer I’m registered on My account on that’s 0.9KM from my house ,

He said he could do a cabinet change and get me to the closer one which will finally enable for me fibre as I’ve been trying for 4+ years to get on ,

Anyone know the steps to take when trying to seek this type of work to be done ✅

I have no problem paying the bill , can this be done independently? As my provider has been little help in this matter

Anyone knowledgeable on this topic ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SPwr1990

Hey , looking for fibre or something faster been on EIR for 30+ plus years , and the speeds are terrible I get 4mpbs But guaranteed 100mpbs standard at my address because the cabinet they have me on is from 1984 , it’s 3.8KM from my house, but closer cabinet is 0.9Km

It’s 2020 and I’m a new homeowner at the address , so the technician told me he could change cabinet and he could do it from KNGROUP but he need a contract from provider , which Eir wouldn’t do

Anyway anything you guys can do to help me would help

Thanks ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First of all, it's up to 100 Mbit/s. No provider guarantees you the 100 Mbit/s. They can't.

At 3.8km you are beyond of being able to get VDSL. VDSL or FTTC or eFibre as it's called, only works until 2km. So at 3.8km, you are on ADSL, if you get your broadband through the phone line.

The speeds you see are in line with that.

Lastly, there is no process to move you from one cabinet to another within OpenEIR. Once your house is wired, that's it. You're stuck on the cabinet, that you are on.

KN may be able to do it physically, but OpenEIR .. who owns the network has no process for this, nor will allow it ... doesn't matter which of their providers you go with.

/M

True enough I talked to Eir, Pure, Digi, Sky, it’s too much work to reset line then divert it to new cabinet, Even local politician would have to sign or approve it

Guy from sky put it in my head to go with three.ie as the sim modem plan Was better alternative 850gb a month capped which is more then enough

Three modem came yesterday inserted sim in it powered up - speed now 31.7mpbs WOW 🀩

Serious improvement for what I had , family are delighted with it too, And it can be used with my eir details to work as a modem with eir

Already ordered 4G LTE antenna on eBay 18.00 from Irish digi store 🬠Supposed to really boast the signal with this attached

Defo stay on three until fibre approved in my area

Thanks anyway for Answering

SPwr1990 wrote: »
    Even local politician would have to sign or approve it

That particular train left the building over 20 years ago, when the government sold off Telecom Eireann and privaticed it. When it became Eircom.

I don't understand, why people think, that any TD will have any pull there. It's a private company and has been so for 20 years.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Having terrible problems with my broadband service speeds are terrible guarantied 100mpbs standard speed on sign up , runs at 4mpbs , because the cabinet is 3.8KM from my address ,Really looking to get on fibre ASAP anyway, Got 8+ in the house trying to do stuff online all day

Had a technician hook it up for before Christmas he told me out straight he wouldn’t haven’t bothered paying 45.00 a month for that service , said it was terrible ,

He did a check at my local exchange when he came he found out I’m 3.8KM from exchange my house is that old
    and I’m not on the closer I’m registered on My account on that’s 0.9KM from my house ,

He said he could do a cabinet change and get me to the closer one which will finally enable for me fibre as I’ve been trying for 4+ years to get on ,

Anyone know the steps to take when trying to seek this type of work to be done ✅

I have no problem paying the bill , can this be done independently? As my provider has been little help in this matter

Anyone knowledgeable on this topic ?

I'm essentially in the same boat. Max speed 3mbs and it would drop after 9pm. Very interesting about the Three modem. My 4g on 3 only gets me around 3 mbs too. Does the modem boost the signal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

It can happen but there's no official process for it. In an previous address I was on a direct to exchange line despite there being a cabinet literally around the corner from me. The line had been deactivated for years so the KN installer changed me to a pair on that cabinet during the installation.

I'm essentially in the same boat. Max speed 3mbs and it would drop after 9pm. Very interesting about the Three modem. My 4g on 3 only gets me around 3 mbs too. Does the modem boost the signal?

Modem is the hwuai B525s23a , ordered it Friday came Saturday morning , put in SIM card , plug it in wall outlet and it was 30-35mpbs right away even downloading on steam game it did 17gb in 80mins

It’s a better choice then stay to stay on eir where it’s coverage is 4Mpbs got people living around me who Have the same speed told them to switch over And most are

850gb data cap is perfect for 1 months use

ka2 wrote: »
    It can happen but there's no official process for it. In an previous address I was on a direct to exchange line despite there being a cabinet literally around the corner from me. The line had been deactivated for years so the KN installer changed me to a pair on that cabinet during the installation.

There a sound bunch of guys

Added pics below that’s the first day online steady at 20-30mpbs everyday now

But I got a SMA 4G LTE Antenna for the router

Normal antennas won’t work they have to be 4G enabled

url=https://postimages.org/]600-EFC09-36-F0-4-BC3-A36-A-DB49-FE82-CCD7.png[/url]

6-E9-A54-A4-AF72-4-BCD-8218-D33-A41685-BBD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Those speeds are great. Thanks for sharing. I might look into buying the router outright instead of getting locked into a 24 mth contract and just use my phone SIM with it.

• Advertisement

ka2 wrote: »

That only works, if your line goes through said cabinet. Often unfortunately not always the case.

/M

Those speeds are great. Thanks for sharing. I might look into buying the router outright instead of getting locked into a 24 mth contract and just use my phone SIM with it.

Yeh myself & family are delighted with it, 15+ yrs of lag and jittering gone like that, you should definitely get one

Last night

28-BC6-D1-F-F113-4472-AB91-763-D9-E1-E51-D4.png

Marlow wrote: »
    That only works, if your line goes through said cabinet. Often unfortunately not always the case.

/M

My line was going past it not through it would have to Cut line which I don’t think is possible ,

attach extension & diverted it quarter of the way

If eir get it sorted I’ll switch back no problem but

Three 4G modem is more then enough of what I was was looking for... even if I had 10-15mpbs speed it would have been perfect 👌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If the ducting goes near the cabinet they can run a dropwire and tie a line into another do that does go to the cab if they are in the same duct and meet up.
    They're not obliged to cross connect you if everyone who was direct went through a cab the cab would be overextended. Sometimes it's the path of least resistance that wins out if the direct cable (oldest cable going and can usually be the longest) is full of faults it's sometimes easier to just get it to the cab. You can't order them to connect you to the cab but it can be done. Openeir won't entertain it. Contractors are not supposed to do it. Get a retired telecoms lad to build you a second path to the cab and order a line and you may be in luck.
    0.9km sees you about 35~+-5mpbs

babi-hrse wrote: »
    If the ducting goes near the cabinet they can run a dropwire and tie a line into another do that does go to the cab if they are in the same duct and meet up.
    They're not obliged to cross connect you if everyone who was direct went through a cab the cab would be overextended. Sometimes it's the path of least resistance that wins out if the direct cable (oldest cable going and can usually be the longest) is full of faults it's sometimes easier to just get it to the cab. You can't order them to connect you to the cab but it can be done. Openeir won't entertain it. Contractors are not supposed to do it. Get a retired telecoms lad to build you a second path to the cab and order a line and you may be in luck.
    0.9km sees you about 35~+-5mpbs

If I was continuing going with eir , I’d get someone to figure something out ,

is it even possible to hire independents to do that type of work ? 🀔 That’s why I contacted KNGROUP cause they said they could do it , emailed them but was told they need approval from provider

eir sent a bill after contract cancelled ECC? amount they charged 120.00E

sud i pay this or leave it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Added pics below that’s the first day online steady at 20-30mpbs everyday now

But I got a SMA 4G LTE Antenna for the router

Normal antennas won’t work they have to be 4G enabled

url=https://postimages.org/]600-EFC09-36-F0-4-BC3-A36-A-DB49-FE82-CCD7.png[/url]

6-E9-A54-A4-AF72-4-BCD-8218-D33-A41685-BBD.png

I have 3 setup as a backup connection busing a router and external antenna

I get up to 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on 3 4G depending on the time of day but like every connection it gets contended at peak times.

At this moment it is down to 8.85Mbps down and 19.86Mbps up
    9600197981.png

Falconire wrote: »

I get up to 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on 3 4G depending on the time of day but like every connection it gets contended at peak times.

9600197981.png

Not bad better then the 3.00mpbs I was getting with EIR
    Glad to be off that service

Is that with the B525 or newest B535 huawei router ?

If you have the anthennas for it big difference in speed

Just login to you 192.168.8.1 router page go to settings on router then go to anthenna settings switch over to external anthennas should help

Mine was hitting 35mpbs you can see from pic it’s at steady 20mpbs now

eir sent a bill after contract cancelled ECC? amount they charged 120.00E

sud i pay this or leave it ?

Paid this anyway full service ended I hope 😳

u5Oyx3P-hUiyqpEkyEE3wPjrTu0GZlNyS955ycOn2drycT4CFFoev8nBxvTKcQHpRw80C32SmUjCcUWseLgDPP7Qgr_QmwEUljUvZDZitAXejrmNnI8CaqjbVhOw_hH1mW0HPtJHv58Tf4DH3otGLbo

Hope they switch 4g to 5g in home routers on their service speeds are insane

• Advertisement

Falconire wrote: »

9600197981.png

Nice got it too 33.0mpbs

7CE76E81-C196-4B80-8852-F70BF2A1AA8E.png

Untitled.jpgnearest chevron station with diesel

hitting 130mb if you want that speed only enable 5ghz and set the channel to 80hz

nuts does 3.5gbs in a min and half :)

Advertisement