Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green retaining wall advice

Options
  • 26-03-2020 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Im looking for some ideas or advice as to what to do with a retaining wall to the rear of my garden (photo attached). Its essentially baskets of stones stacked on top of each other and the front face of the cages has soil sprayed with seed mix to give it a wild grass finish. They are more commonly used on the sides of roads or embankments. It really looks poor and is difficult to cut or do anything with. Currently thinking of building a block wall about half the height on front of it forming a planter bed to put some trees /bamboo in? Even then it there still is a lot of grass exposed which will grow wild behind the plants/trees.

Appreciate any advice or ideas thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could you plant something else into it instead of the grass? Like a colourful creeper.

I would not go building a wall there without the advice of an engineer because when you excavate for the foundation you might have a negative effect on the foundation/stability of the retaining wall. It is a low risk, but I wouldn't do it without professional advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Could you plant something else into it instead of the grass? Like a colourful creeper.

I would not go building a wall there without the advice of an engineer because when you excavate for the foundation you might have a negative effect on the foundation/stability of the retaining wall. It is a low risk, but I wouldn't do it without professional advice.

Its difficult to plant anything in it because of the caged nature of the structure and it has a mesh on front of it. If you cut that you risk compromising its structural integrity. Im comfortable that the foundation could be done safely without compromising or undermining the existing green wall, albeit it may need to be moved a little forward of the wall.

Thats an eye sore alright.
    I wouldn't go with a block wall but id make a wall out of railway sleepers .
    Not the ones you already have but the real ones.
    Stack them 4/5 high and tie them together and to the gabion baskets.
    You could even integrate a bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you are feeling adventurous...what I would do is kill off all the grass (round-up etc) and then plant a mixture of alpines and hanging basket type plants.

Could look really cool. You could even throw in a few strawberries as they will be kept nicely off the ground.

Maybe try the above on a metre or two and see how you like the result. Personally I kinda like the look of the gabions, but it really depends on what they have been filled with tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Great idea, it looks ideal for strawberries.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you are feeling adventurous...what I would do is kill off all the grass (round-up etc) and then plant a mixture of alpines and hanging basket type plants.

Could look really cool. You could even throw in a few strawberries as they will be kept nicely off the ground.

Maybe try the above on a metre or two and see how you like the result. Personally I kinda like the look of the gabions, but it really depends on what they have been filled with tbh.

Really like the idea of this , im a bit clueless as to where to start but ill explore it a bit more. I have seen some nice versions online(like attached) but im stuck at how to get there for what i have!!

Thanks for all suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aboppy1

Cotoneaster dammeri. Have a look at these they could be an easier alternative. I wouldn't build a wall just put in an edging brick in the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That wall is ripe for small planting. Doesn't need a climber. Plenty of options including wild flowers seed.

The grass on it can by cut back easily with a strimmer too.

listermint wrote: »
    That wall is ripe for small planting. Doesn't need a climber. Plenty of options including wild flowers seed.

The grass on it can by cut back easily with a strimmer too.

The grass can be cut by a strimmer yes but it still looks terrible afterwards as i have done so last summer.

Aboppy1 wrote: »
    Cotoneaster dammeri. Have a look at these they could be an easier alternative. I wouldn't build a wall just put in an edging brick in the lawn.

Thank you for the suggestion i will look into this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement