Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Bobtheman wrote: »
    If they start this crack of multiple sexualities in star trek then I'm out. Have enough of people proclaiming theirs in the real world. A bit like the joke but how do you know somebody is a vegan ? You don't - they tell you. Now you have otherwise terribly boring people proclaiming their sexuality changes just to sound interesting.

That's not how sexuality works.

Plus no one us "proclaiming" anything. They're just showing romantic relationships, so just happen to be same sex. I don't see the problem.

I started this as a critique of the story telling, nothing more. I regret it now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Show all kinds of sexuality, just write better!!!!

Remember Riker was attracted to some asexual one back in the TNG days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just my opinion, the Picard we see at the end is not Picard. The Picard we know has lived his life and passed on, he is in fact dead. This Golem will act and behave almost identical to Picard but it is still not him. He is dead and this is just people in his universe refusing to let go. The same with Data, Data sacrificed himself, he died, this is nowt but a copy. It was the best part of the show but Picard is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pah wrote: »

Lol. Think Riker was attracted to anything with breasts

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

MV5BMTEzNzM1NDAyMzVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDc1OTQ4NDIx._V1_.jpg

Melinda Culea as Soren!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melinda_Culea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outcast_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

If they start this crack of multiple sexualities in star trek then I'm out. Have enough of people proclaiming theirs in the real world. A bit like the joke but how do you know somebody is a vegan ? You don't - they tell you. Now you have otherwise terribly boring people proclaiming their sexuality changes just to sound interesting.

How did you ever become a star trek fan with a worldview like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Remember Riker was attracted to some asexual one back in the NG days

Was a bit of a cheat though, casting a female actress...

Bonus A-Team Star Trek crossover image!
    Screen-Shot-2017-01-10-at-3.39.51-PM.png

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I recall that episode very well when it was broadcast on RTE originally. It stuck in my head because of the sad ending where her sexuality was taken away so she went back to being asexual and thus wasn't interested in a romantic relationship with Riker any longer. Often episodes end on a happy note but that one pointedly didn't.

That story had personal correlations for me because back in those days it was okay to talk about 'gay conversion' therapy, where if it was possible it would have the same sad outcome.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

How did you ever become a star trek fan with a worldview like that.

Have whatever sexuality you like just don't drone on and on or tweet about it. That's the modern way. But you are right about them showing rather than telling it.

2 friends interlocked hands, maybe it was romance, maybe it wasn't. How is this a talking point. Christ on a bike, I found the Captain and Smart person kissing more jarring considering her behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Have whatever sexuality you like just don't drone on and on or tweet about it. That's the modern way.

Did you get this worked up when Rios and Jurati got together. Or that when we first saw Dahj, she was with her boyfriend? Or all those times Soji and Narek were in bed? Or when we saw Troi and Riker?

And that's just in these last 10 episodes. Let's not even start on the other Star Trek series.

Star Trek has never shied away from showing sexuality. What's different these days is that it's not just heterosexuality. And for a show that's about showing a positive future for humanity, where we have left behind old prejudices, that's a good thing.

CramCycle wrote: »
    2 friends interlocked hands, maybe it was romance, maybe it wasn't. How is this a talking point. Christ on a bike, I found the Captain and Smart person kissing more jarring considering her behaviour.

It's a talking point for most because it's ether poor writing if it was meant to be romantic, or poor acting/direction if it was meant to be platonic. I think most people would be making the same comments if it had been Soji and Elnor.

It's a talking point for a few others for different reasons, who probably wouldn't be making the same comments if it had been Soji and Elnor ;)

nearly wish they'd left all the romance out instead of making a mess of it. captain "i dont mind if you killed someone and it definitely doesnt trigger any ptsd from my own captain doing it" and jurati, and two people randomly holding hands. if they were at least on the bridge and starting to give each other eyes or something that would be more of a foundation and we could have more fun speculating

I only brought it up as an example of very poor story telling. I regret ever mentioning it.

At least the captain and yer wan had previous. But no one seems bothered any more that she killed someone.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Even that's pushing it. They'd said maybe two sentences to each other up to that point. If there was suppose to be a short time skip before that scene some indication of it would have been nice. Adding "after a few weeks of deliberation" before Soji said the synth ban was lifted would have been more than enough.

Brian? wrote: »
    I only brought it up as an example of very poor story telling. I regret ever mentioning it.

At least the captain and yer wan had previous. But no one seems bothered any more that she killed someone.

They forgave that really quick, even the fact that she apparently loved the guy seems not to have made anyone flinch. If I was the cap I'd be playing the let's just be friends angle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There was copious amounts of alcohol consumed just before the interlocking hands scene. Nuff said. They just happened to be the two people on the ship with the most fondness for it. Star Trek pushing alcosexuality in our faces.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Did you get this worked up when Rios and Jurati got together. Or that when we first saw Dahj, she was with her boyfriend? Or all those times Soji and Narek were in bed? Or when we saw Troi and Riker?

And that's just in these last 10 episodes. Let's not even start on the other Star Trek series.

Star Trek has never shied away from showing sexuality. What's different these days is that it's not just heterosexuality. And for a show that's about showing a positive future for humanity, where we have left behind old prejudices, that's a good thing.
    Look I'm not getting drawn into a debate about sexuality.
    It's one thing trek being ahead of the curve it's another thing virtue signaling. Tbh I think a lot of the new forms of sexuality are pure fiction but that's only a personal opinion. Indulgence. But I could be Wrong

Remember what's acceptable now does not make it right. 40 years ago harassing single mothers was all the rage. Gay reversal therapy legal in all US states. Etc. Nobody can say that for instance allowing kids operations below the age of 18 is correct to transform etc. So let's just park our self righteousness. I'm always more interested in miniority views. Back in the 1980s I waded into a few fights for gay friends while the solid majority condemned me.
    And no I have no issue with Riker bed hopping or any adults doing what they want in private just stop telling the world about it or virtue signalling. I get enough of it in school where we got circulars about non gender uniforms while we waited for decent IT and psychologists for suicidal kids

Look I'm not getting drawn into a debate about sexuality.
    It's one thing trek being ahead of the curve it's another thing virtue signaling. Tbh I think a lot of the new forms of sexuality are pure fiction but that's only a personal opinion. Indulgence. But I could be Wrong

Remember what's acceptable now does not make it right. 40 years ago harassing single mothers was all the rage. Gay reversal therapy legal in all US states. Etc. Nobody can say that for instance allowing kids operations below the age of 18 is correct to transform etc. So let's just park our self righteousness. I'm always more interested in miniority views. Back in the 1980s I waded into a few fights for gay friends while the solid majority condemned me.
    And no I have no issue with Riker bed hopping or any adults doing what they want in private just stop telling the world about it or virtue signalling. I get enough of it in school where we got circulars about non gender uniforms while we waited for decent IT and psychologists for suicidal kids

A lengthy reply about sexuality from someone who doesn't want to get into a debate about it... :rolleyes:

BTW, if you have issues with "virtue signalling", you really haven't watched a lot of Star Trek. Next time you see the original 60s series, have a think about why exactly there are black, Asian, and Russian characters on the bridge.

There are real issues and there are virtue signalers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

No.

There is good writing and there is bad writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No.

There is good writing and there is bad writing.

Yeah, writing can make a huge difference. Just look at Game of Thrones when they ran out of source material! :D

All Eyes On Rafah

There are real issues and there are virtue signalers

Virtue signalling is a insult, made up to through at people with a socially progressive mindset. Having LGBT+ people in a TV show isn't virtue signalling, it's inclusiveness.

they/them/theirs

Virtue signalling is a insult, made up to through at people with a socially progressive mindset. Having LGBT+ people in a TV show isn't virtue signalling, it's inclusiveness.

Its not even inclusiveness, it is just normal (or it should be). The world has people who have a wide variety of preferences, alien worlds are likely to also have other preferences. Putting a name on it or not is irrelevant if we were a better society, alas we are not. For all the giving out here, I found the Captain and the murderer far worse writing, she lied so well she tricked an android who would be able to read all verbal and non verbal cues. TNG used to be hard to track who was going out with who IIRC, but you accepted that in a society where you are only get brief snippets, stuff goes on in the background. The fact that people need a signpost to say that a few weeks have probably passed is more an issue for the viewers intelligence than the writers. I was more upset earlier in the show where they had to cake walk us through Datas daughter storyline.

The bigger issues with the episode, and it was actually a good watch were:

1. The big bad looked like tenticles coming out a wormhole that easily fell apart once the machine was turned off. Surely there could have been more or less here. I would have preferred if they had shown nothing of them as the story would have essentially been the same. The other alternative would have had them come through and see the Federation defending them and say, well maybe they aren't that bad. This would fit in more with the tone of a typical TNG story.

2. The Data in the virtual world was beautifully told but it is still not Data. I feel sorry for him, he is a clone, not the original basically a fake, that alone could have had some wonderful story about mental issues associated with being someone you not. Instead he just accepts he is Data with no query.

3. As above, Picard is dead, no matter how you phrase it, the Golem is a clone and cheapens his death in my eyed.

Its not even inclusiveness, it is just normal (or it should be). The world has people who have a wide variety of preferences, alien worlds are likely to also have other preferences. Putting a name on it or not is irrelevant if we were a better society, alas we are not. For all the giving out here, I found the Captain and the murderer far worse writing, she lied so well she tricked an android who would be able to read all verbal and non verbal cues. TNG used to be hard to track who was going out with who IIRC, but you accepted that in a society where you are only get brief snippets, stuff goes on in the background. The fact that people need a signpost to say that a few weeks have probably passed is more an issue for the viewers intelligence than the writers. I was more upset earlier in the show where they had to cake walk us through Datas daughter storyline.

The bigger issues with the episode, and it was actually a good watch were:

1. The big bad looked like tenticles coming out a wormhole that easily fell apart once the machine was turned off. Surely there could have been more or less here. I would have preferred if they had shown nothing of them as the story would have essentially been the same. The other alternative would have had them come through and see the Federation defending them and say, well maybe they aren't that bad. This would fit in more with the tone of a typical TNG story.

2. The Data in the virtual world was beautifully told but it is still not Data. I feel sorry for him, he is a clone, not the original basically a fake, that alone could have had some wonderful story about mental issues associated with being someone you not. Instead he just accepts he is Data with no query.

3. As above, Picard is dead, no matter how you phrase it, the Golem is a clone and cheapens his death in my eyed.

Agree with most of that. Except for the data bit, he was a walking computer, as much as we liked to antropomorphise him. The data copy was as much Data as the original, if he had the same memories.

The space tentacles were stupid. Really, really stupid. But I just brushed them off because it was the last in long line of stupid.

they/them/theirs

Agree with most of that. Except for the data bit, he was a walking computer, as much as we liked to antropomorphise him. The data copy was as much Data as the original, if he had the same memories.

The space tentacles were stupid. Really, really stupid. But I just brushed them off because it was the last in long line of stupid.
    I suppose it then begs the question, what makes a person. We are all just electrical current and storage reacting based on experience and programming. Picard is now no different than Data. A bit fancier and more polished but he is still now just an android. Data had his emotion chip, sacrificed himself, you could argue that his choices were no different than Spocks locgical choices. I must rewatch Nemesis, my memories of it are vague. Was Datas emotion chip no fancier than a bot on twitter tryign to guess the correct reaction. Is that not what are emotions are, we have a certain amount of preprogramming with life experience acting as minor updates.

I think this is the more fascinating questions to be raised from the episode. Lets say the federation did not lift the synth ban after the fact. Would they decommision Picard, he isn't technically human.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

That's not what virtue signal means. It's taking a safe action in support of something and expecting praise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

Solid 8.5 for the series

7 and raffi makes sense... considering there was something going on between Janeway and 7

Explains why she wouldn’t let her wear a more comfortable starfleet uniform when she had no problem kitting out the maquis!

Evade wrote: »
    That's not what virtue signal means. It's taking a safe action in support of something and expecting praise for it.

I didn't define virtue signalling in my post, so how can you disagree with me?

I stand by what I said. Virtue signalling is an insult often thrown at progressive people for vocally supporting a cause. Some people support causes cynically in the expectation of praise, but the accusations of virtue signalling aren't saved for them.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I suppose it then begs the question, what makes a person. We are all just electrical current and storage reacting based on experience and programming. Picard is now no different than Data. A bit fancier and more polished but he is still now just an android. Data had his emotion chip, sacrificed himself, you could argue that his choices were no different than Spocks locgical choices. I must rewatch Nemesis, my memories of it are vague. Was Datas emotion chip no fancier than a bot on twitter tryign to guess the correct reaction. Is that not what are emotions are, we have a certain amount of preprogramming with life experience acting as minor updates.

I think this is the more fascinating questions to be raised from the episode. Lets say the federation did not lift the synth ban after the fact. Would they decommision Picard, he isn't technically human.

I wish the writers had the intelligence and ability to play that out in the next series. Is Jean Luv Picard now illegal? I doubt they will though, it'll be more swashbuckling.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement