Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x10 - "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 2" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Comments

I’d this is in the future from the old series then why would the ship design have stagnated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Because ships last a long time. It's less plausible that a fleet as large as Riker put together only consists of ships that are less than 20-25 years old. The Miranda class was in service for at least 110 years and the Excelsior class was in service for at least 90.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pretty much, I'd expect federation ships to be slowly relegated to safer missions as time goes on but bar destruction in battle, most would last 100+ years and unless needed for parts or rapid conversion in an emergency, that would be the case. I would expect alot of ships to be new based on the run of bad luck the federation has had but I'd expect alot of old reliables to be in view. Also the style just didn't look great. The fan made one looked like it was done by a production company and the produciton company one looks like it was done by a fan.

Evade wrote: »
    Because ships last a long time. It's less plausible that a fleet as large as Riker put together only consists of ships that are less than 20-25 years old. The Miranda class was in service for at least 110 years and the Excelsior class was in service for at least 90.

Fair enough. I wouldn’t know a pile on the history of the ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I haven't been posting here throughout Picard.

But it really was true and utter ****e.

I don't think Star Trek will ever be Star Trek again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I didn't mind the extended life span of the Miranda and Excelsior class since they were such good looking ships. :D

b45b64f4867b4c764d2cbaf49fbc84d3.jpg

Image-USS_Excelsior.png

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

I didn't mind the extended life span of the Miranda and Excelsior class since they were such good looking ships. :D

b45b64f4867b4c764d2cbaf49fbc84d3.jpg

The Miranda was a personal favourite. It was also very eye-opening to a much younger me seeing it for the first time.

At the time I thought: "Wait!....You mean...you can have a Star Trek ship without the middle bit?!"

Followed by my later shock to see a nacelle being blown right off the Reliant. I'd never seen that kind of permanent damage to a Trek ship before. I loved Reliant that the whole damn class. (And the Nebula class was just a f-ugly pretender to the throne :D )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't know what the Nebula class was so googled it.

Ewww.

Picard is getting stung for its copy paste design but that Nebula is atrocious looking. Very lazily thrown together, like they just took the Enterprise and sat on it. :D

Do love the Miranda class, has more heft and presence than other ships. Feels more like something folks would use. The Enterprise et al showy, slightly ostentatious designs in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

All of this talk of ship design and visuals is not something I'm into. Well, to a degree I am, I never liked the TNG ship, it always looked like a flying hotel to me. Preferred the look of the Voyager ship.

Having said that I decided to watch the second Trilogy of Star Wars this week due to isolation. Starting with The Phantom Menace, who everyone agree's is pretty shy*e, but the visuals on it are astounding, even for it's time. That movie was made by computers in an office like no other.

That Excelsior posted above was the one I always hated the look of. Didn’t know the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

That Excelsior posted above was the one I always hated the look of. Didn’t know the name.

I'd love to get my hands on her ample nacelles

pixelburp wrote: »
    Picard is getting stung for its copy paste design but that Nebula is atrocious looking. Very lazily thrown together, like they just took the Enterprise and sat on it. :D
    The main difference between now and then is having to make a physical model. Some of the TNG models were off the shelf kits put together wrong to make a new ship, there's even a few Star Destroyers among them.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

troyzer wrote: »
    I haven't been posting here throughout Picard.

But it really was true and utter ****e.

I don't think Star Trek will ever be Star Trek again.

Trek evolves

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Trek evolves
    As Threshold showed evolution isn't necessarily a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't like how the ship looks, but defending the copy and paste design, with the Borg/Dominon War and the Mars attack, Starfleet needed to mass produce new ships so that's probably why they all look the same.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I don't like how the ship looks, but defending the copy and paste design, with the Borg/Dominon War and the Mars attack, Starfleet needed to mass produce new ships so that's probably why they all look the same.
    The problem with that is they all look to be about the size of a Sovereign class. If you need to build fleets quickly mostly smaller ships like Akiras and Sabers with some mid size ships like Steamrunners and Norways, and then a few large ships makes much more sense. Another reason being that different sized ships typically perform different roles in a fleet something Star Trek only really did from First Contact onward, but that probably had a lot to do with the move from models to CGI too. If anyone is wondering why I picked those ships they're the new designs used to fill out the fleet in First Contact but still all have very distinct looks.

If anyone is wondering why I picked those ships they're the new designs used to fill out the fleet in First Contact but still all have very distinct looks.

I really enjoyed that initial battle scene in First Contact where they are showing a mostly new Starfleet lobbing fire onto that Cube. A lot of those new ships really looked like they were built for war, and having Defiant with them seemed to make sense :)

I remember enjoying that scene a lot in the cinema :D

Rawr wrote: »
    having Defiant with them seemed to make sense
    Well, she was built for that exact exact reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I really enjoyed that initial battle scene in First Contact where they are showing a mostly new Starfleet lobbing fire onto that Cube. A lot of those new ships really looked like they were built for war, and having Defiant with them seemed to make sense :)

I remember enjoying that scene a lot in the cinema :D

Perhaps today is a good day to die!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was epic, one of the best movies I have seen in a cinema.

• Advertisement

"Little?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

"Little?"

I love the sense of scale when the Enterprise flew past the Defiant. I know the size of the Defiant was a bit all over the place, but it was the first time you got a real sense of how small and powerful the ship was.

Also Adam Scott!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

RAMMING SPEED!

That's some mighty word association Michael Dorn has worked on me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IvySlayer wrote: »

Someone fixed it anyway...

MUCH better!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Brian? wrote: »
    Isn’t it mostly from DS9? The last nigh battle before heading to Cardassia.

With Runabouts for some reason.

Mayve I've missed it (currently watching Ds9 again) but don't recall seeing any intepids in any of the dominion battles. Run about taking the place of the Peregrine fighters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't remember the Sovereign class appearing in DS9 either. Intrepid class was featured in DS9 (USS Bellerophon transporting Romulan delegates) but not in any battle scenes from what I remember.

Stark wrote: »
    Don't remember the Sovereign class appearing in DS9 either. Intrepid class was featured in DS9 (USS Bellerophon transporting Romulan delegates) but not in any battle scenes from what I remember.

I'm surprised Sovereign Class didn't feature more in the war. She's streamlined, very heavily armed, and appeared to have been geared for warfare. I get that they might have wanted to keep the Enterprise E away from the frontline (losing her would have been a massiv morale blow), but surely they had a couple more of the class by then (USS Sovereign for example).

Although Voyager has had to fight her way across the Delta Quadrant, I don't get the impression that she was geared to be a warship. Could be that the Intrepid Class ships were limited to support roles during the war (such as that transport job Bellerophon was doing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Mayve I've missed it (currently watching Ds9 again) but don't recall seeing any intepids in any of the dominion battles. Run about taking the place of the Peregrine fighters

As far as I can recall, an Intrepid appeared in only one DS9 episode; the Belepheron, which brought Bashir to Romulus in Season 7.

Of course, there was also the Yeager class, so the class made at least a partial appearance in the background of DS9 :)

latest?cb=20180422140730

In the Thaw Tom said Voyager was built for combat performance.

In general I think they just wanted to keep the Hero ships unique while the other series/movies were still on going. Even the other Defiant class ships in the fleets in DS9 stay in the background. If they had kept the Enterprise D throughout the TNG movies I think we would have seen fewer Galaxy class ships in DS9 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

In the Thaw Tom said Voyager was built for combat performance.

In general I think they just wanted to keep the Hero ships unique while the other series/movies were still on going. Even the other Defiant class ships in the fleets in DS9 stay in the background. If they had kept the Enterprise D throughout the TNG movies I think we would have seen fewer Galaxy class ships in DS9 too.

That's my feeling too.

And in-universe, there's nothing to say these classes of ships weren't off in battles elsewhere. The Cardassian border wasn't the only front in the war. After the invasion of Betazed, and the attack on Earth, it wouldn't be surprising if Sovereign class ships were stationed near key Federation homeworlds.

Advertisement