If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Speakers For My System Please?

Options
  • 26-03-2020 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭

Hi

My current set-up is 

Rega Planar 3 TT (2017)

Rega Fono Mk3 Phono Stage

Cambridge CXA60 Amp

Cambridge CXC CD Transport

Linn Keilidh Speakers

(I listen to more vinyl than cd at present, mostly 70s/80s rock)

The P3 has an Elys cart which sounds a bit veiled to me, so I will be changing to an Exact cart when possible.

As all of the other components are new, I'm just wondering if it's time to match a more modern speaker to my system?

The Linns are nice, but about 20 years old, so obviously speaker technology has moved on.

I heard a pair of B&W 607s in a showroom recently which sounded nice and bright.

The Q Acoustics 3050 also caught my eye and are a bit more affordable.

Budget is around 500 euro max so my shortlist is

Q Acoustics 3050

Monitor Audio Bronze 5

Kef Q350

Fyne F302

B&W 607

I'd welcome any advice you might have.

Thanks!

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hi, any advice on this?

I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Fyne 302 or the QA 3050.
    One thing I've noticed is that the Linns are 4 ohm so maybe the Cambridge amp doesn't have enough grunt to really push them?
    Would the output of the amp be more suited to the Fynes?
    I suppose keeping the Linns and changing the amp is another option but I like the amp and cd transport combo.
    Thanks.

CPL 593H

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

furiousox wrote: »
    Hi, any advice on this?

I think I've narrowed my choice down to the Fyne 302 or the QA 3050.
    One thing I've noticed is that the Linns are 4 ohm so maybe the Cambridge amp doesn't have enough grunt to really push them?
    Would the output of the amp be more suited to the Fynes?
    I suppose keeping the Linns and changing the amp is another option but I like the amp and cd transport combo.
    Thanks.
    Hi furiousox,

Thanks for the post!

The Fyne Audio speakers are incredibly well matched with the Cambridge Audio amplifier. The 3050s are good as well but I think the F302s would give you a much better sound. When paired with the Cambridge the vocals are very forward, there is plenty of drive in the mid range and the bass is very well controlled. I own a Cambridge CXA80 and run them with a pair of B and W speakers myself and the sound is stunning. However I would stick with the floorstanding Fynes as they would give a much bigger sound than the bookshelf B and Ws!

I wouldn't change the amp at this stage as the Cambridge CX range are some of the best amps I've heard, unless you were upgrading to the CXA80 which is one of the best amps I've heard! But with the set up you have I think the biggest upgrade you'll hear would be from upgrading the speakers to the Fynes.

I currently have limited stock of the Fynes available from our main warehouse. Our Belfast store is currently closed but we are still shipping throughout Ireland.

Let me know if you would be interested!

Kind regards

David

Thanks for your post David.
    I'm certainly interested in the Fynes but ideally I'd like to see and hear them beforehand.
    Obviously to hear how they perform but also to have a look at the finish, I like the black and walnut but not sure about the oak.
    I plan to take a trip up to the Belfast store when the travel restrictions are lifted.
    Thanks!

EDIT: Actually David out of curiosity, what colours do you have available and what price in euro incl delivery?
    Thanks.

CPL 593H

Thanks for your post David.
    I'm certainly interested in the Fynes but ideally I'd like to see and hear them beforehand.
    Obviously to hear how they perform but also to have a look at the finish, I like the black and walnut but not sure about the oak.
    I plan to take a trip up to the Belfast store when the travel restrictions are lifted.
    Thanks!

EDIT: Actually David out of curiosity, what colours do you have available and what price in euro incl delivery?
    Thanks.
    Hi furiousox,

Our Belfast store is currently closed and we would be unable to book you in for a demo until the restrictions have been lifted. We are still shipping throughout Ireland from our main warehouse though!

I have limited stock available in the warehouse in Black Ash, Walnut and Light Oak and the Euro price including shipping would be 549 euro.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi furiousox,

Stock is quite tight on the amp at the moment but I can do that bundle with the walnut speakers for you!

Let me know if you'd like to go ahead with that!

Kind regards

David

Hi David

Yes please, I'd be happy to go ahead with that deal.
    How do we proceed from here?
    Thanks

CPL 593H

Hi David

Thanks
    Hi furiousox,

If you order the bundle online drop me post when it's through and Ill amend the order to the walnut speakers for you!

Kind regards

David

Hi David

Thanks
    Hi furiousox,

If you order the bundle online drop me post when it's through and Ill amend the order to the walnut speakers for you!

Kind regards

David
    Hi David

I've ordered the speakers online and dropped you a PM there.
    Thanks.

CPL 593H

Hi David

Thanks
    Hi furiousox,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David

I've ordered the speakers online and dropped you a PM there.
    Thanks.
    Thanks again for the order furiousox!

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.