Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum ban

Options
  • 26-03-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

I got a one month ban from the soccer forum for what was perceived by the mod who banned me as an accusation of trolling by another poster.
    While my post could have been construed as back seat moderation it wasn't meant in that way,it was directed fairly and squarely at the post itself.
    I tried to engage with said mod and no dice,just "take it to DRP".

Here is a copy of said posts.

6: "The desperation is uplifting"

"What do you hope to achieve by sh1tposting like this, you are doing it ad nauseum just looking for thanks.
    People are having a discussion on what might happen,the truth is that nobody knows yet the most you can do is throw in moronic one liners and add nothing to any debate.
    You are looking even more like the annoying kid outside the group constantly looking for attention.
    So instead of the usual sh1te,why don't you enlighten us with your possible solution to getting football up and running again? "

While in hindsight the post by me could have been worded better it still wasn't an accusation of trolling,just exasperation at the constant little jibes at United fans this poster was constantly throwing into the debate. Subsequent to that post I called on said poster to come up with something more sensible but just got more little digs and jibes in return.I'm sure you can understand then why someone might get annoyed with such posts and retort in the manner I did.
    As I said,it wasn't a personal attack or an accusation of trolling as I know the
    rules on this very well and actually reported posts but saw no mod action.

I wish for said card and ban to be overturned and apologise for what might have been seen as a personal attack or accusation of trolling,it certainly wasn't meant as such.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can you post or fwd to me the pm exchange with the mod and I'll take a look.

Your month ban was for an accumulation of warnings, and not for the latest actioned post in isolation. This is in line with the forum rules.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just to re-iterate my reply to your pm, the link you sent me was to a private message of yours. I can't read anyones pm's. Can you please post here or forward the messages (content) to me.

Thanks.

Thanks for forwarding the pm's.

So the post you got carded for was this:
    What do you hope to achieve by sh1tposting like this, you are doing it ad nauseum just looking for thanks.
    People are having a discussion on what might happen,the truth is that nobody knows yet the most you can do is throw in moronic one liners and add nothing to any debate.
    You are looking even more like the annoying kid outside the group constantly looking for attention.
    So instead of the usual sh1te,why don't you enlighten us with your possible solution to getting football up and running again?

Your defense to the card was:
    Wow,a ban??
    Read my post again,no attacking the poster,just the post.
    The old thoughts of bias on the forum rear their head again. Certain posters get away with murder,posts magically deleted,no cards and an air of protectionism.
    I reported quite a few posts for blatant breaches yet nothing done. It feels like playing by the rules is pointless when it comes to reporting certain posters. Care to explain that when you are so quick to ban me for a post that never warranted a card in the first place.
    I don't expect a reply as you are notorious for ignoring these PM's.

What do you hope to achieve by sh1tposting like this is attacking the poster not the post

You are looking even more like the annoying kid outside the group constantly looking for attention. is attacking the poster not the post.

I don't expect a reply as you are notorious for ignoring these PM's. - well this just makes me think that all you wanted to do was argue with the mod for the sake of it rather than try to reason with him.

At the outset when you posted "I wish for said card and ban to be overturned and apologise for what might have been seen as a personal attack or accusation of trolling,it certainly wasn't meant as such." I actually believed you, however, having read what you posted, and read the pm exchange and your reply to the mod, I cannot accept that and am dismissing it as I don't believe it is genuine.

FYI, with regard to your question:

"I reported quite a few posts for blatant breaches yet nothing done. It feels like playing by the rules is pointless when it comes to reporting certain posters. Care to explain that when you are so quick to ban me for a post that never warranted a card in the first place."

Mods are under no obligation to share what actions are or are not taken in respect of another user. The actions are not always visible (the only ones you can see are cards and on-thread warnings). The only ones they must answer to there are cmods and admins. You are perfectly entitled to flag a post or ask about a post you reported with the mods or cmods or admins, we will always look at it but it doesn't mean you get to know the result.

Given the above, I do not see that the mod acted inappropriately nor any reason to overturn the card.

Card, and resulting ban is upheld.

You may, per DRP, appeal my decision to admin, please let us know if you wish to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Steve wrote: »
    Thanks for forwarding the pm's.

So the post you got carded for was this:

Your defense to the card was:

What do you hope to achieve by sh1tposting like this is attacking the poster not the post

You are looking even more like the annoying kid outside the group constantly looking for attention. is attacking the poster not the post.

I don't expect a reply as you are notorious for ignoring these PM's. - well this just makes me think that all you wanted to do was argue with the mod for the sake of it rather than try to reason with him.

At the outset when you posted "I wish for said card and ban to be overturned and apologise for what might have been seen as a personal attack or accusation of trolling,it certainly wasn't meant as such." I actually believed you, however, having read what you posted, and read the pm exchange and your reply to the mod, I cannot accept that and am dismissing it as I don't believe it is genuine.

FYI, with regard to your question:

"I reported quite a few posts for blatant breaches yet nothing done. It feels like playing by the rules is pointless when it comes to reporting certain posters. Care to explain that when you are so quick to ban me for a post that never warranted a card in the first place."

Mods are under no obligation to share what actions are or are not taken in respect of another user. The actions are not always visible (the only ones you can see are cards and on-thread warnings). The only ones they must answer to there are cmods and admins. You are perfectly entitled to flag a post or ask about a post you reported with the mods or cmods or admins, we will always look at it but it doesn't mean you get to know the result.

Given the above, I do not see that the mod acted inappropriately nor any reason to overturn the card.

Card, and resulting ban is upheld.

You may, per DRP, appeal my decision to admin, please let us know if you wish to do that.

Kinda pointless appealing this, the bias of this mod is famed on the forum and was the basis of the last feedback thread. So quick to card certain posters yet allows a cohort of Liverpool posters run riot.

"Mods are under no obligation to share what actions are or are not taken in respect of another user. The actions are not always visible (the only ones you can see are cards and on-thread warnings). The only ones they must answer to there are cmods and admins. You are perfectly entitled to flag a post or ask about a post you reported with the mods or cmods or admins, we will always look at it but it doesn't mean you get to know the result. "

As a result of the last feedback thread,Kiith updated the charter and warnings were to be posted in the thread for more visibility but this isn't being followed. Posts clearly breaching the charter ignored even when a mod is actively posting. I reported that poster multiple times along with others for clear cut card offences yet nothing was done,this isn't something new, it's been going on a long time.
    Anyhow,bring on the next feedback thread, it's bound to be a doozy.

Do you wish to appeal or not?

Not dismissing your concerns about the mod team at all, this is not the place to air them. You can use feedback, helpdesk or the annual soccer feedback thread for that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Steve wrote: »
    Do you wish to appeal or not?

Not dismissing your concerns about the mod team at all, this is not the place to air them. You can use feedback, helpdesk or the annual soccer feedback thread for that. :)

My first line was that it's pointless appealing this ban,it seems I'm on a loser doing it. Let's draw a line under this now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks both - marking resolved

Advertisement