Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Covid-19 Haircut Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I've been to three different salons all have it as part of their policy, don't think its mandatory though, however the social distancing can probably be reported to the hse as I hear their carrying out inspection of premises, if your felt that unsafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've been to three different salons all have it as part of their policy, don't think its mandatory though, however the social distancing can probably be reported to the hse as I hear their carrying out inspection of premises, if your felt that unsafe!
    It was also probably the mayhem of the first few days with everyone going in. By the Friday when I popped in it had all calmed down.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RossOnBoard

Thanks all for your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭jos_kel

Hi,
    Rang up local hairdresser who said daughter must have a wash and blow-dry when getting a haircut.
    They said it was required due to Covid.
    Sounds a bit suspect to me. Is this in the government guidelines?

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Jos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

jos_kel wrote: »
    Is this in the government guidelines?Jos

No, but it's a private business so they can do what they want.

If you're not happy then go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

I've never heard about that, so I bet they're making it up.

I got my haircut the other day, face mask only.

With these things, I see the short fight or the long fight. The long fight is to get the guidelines from an authority and tell the hairdresser that they're incorrect.

But, if you just want the cut, I'd just go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

LaAlgerie wrote: »
    I've never heard about that, so I bet they're making it up.

I got my haircut the other day, face mask only.

With these things, I see the short fight or the long fight. The long fight is to get the guidelines from an authority and tell the hairdresser that they're incorrect.

But, if you just want the cut, I'd just go somewhere else.

Or cut it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

While yes I would agree that a business can stipulate whatever requirements they want, and a customer can choose to go elsewhere based on this, claiming the requirement is because of government policies/regulation/guidelines, is not a very good practice, and if this is not a true guideline, etc., there is no reason you cannot challenge this fact at least.

I'm sure they switch their statement to:- Actually it is company policy for extra protection of staff and customers, at this stage, but at least let them just give there real reasons and not hide behind untruths (If confirmed), to increase their business...if this is the case of course....

If you went to a pub for a pint and they told you...you need to buy a €9 meal for safety reasons due to Covid...would you believe them and take them at their word..................oh wait, that is a government policy.........:o

But saying a business can just do what they what is not a good starting point....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Or cut it yourself

Indeed. I've gotten pretty handy with the trimmer in the last few months and haven't hacked lumps out of myself or left bald patches yet :)

As an aside, I was walking past my usual barber a fortnight ago so stuck the head in to see what the story is. No appointments necessary and while he was wearing a mask, the customer wasn't. No other screens etc either.

As I didn't need a haircut there and then I left it (and the setup wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest), but interesting nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Ring another hairdresser and see if you get a similar response. I very much doubt it is in any guidelines, maybe it's a misinterpretation on behalf of the hairdresser.

It doesn't make sense, imo, as it means a longer time for the staff member to be in contact with the child and vice versa, if they are doing a cut, wash and blow dry instead of a dry cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

jos_kel wrote: »
    Hi,
    Rang up local hairdresser who said daughter must have a wash and blow-dry when getting a haircut.
    They said it was required due to Covid.
    Sounds a bit suspect to me. Is this in the government guidelines?

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Jos

How old is the kid and do they want to charge adult prices as opposed to the kids price? I’ve been to barbers and hairdresser with mine since they’ve opened and no one has had this rule. Especially for younger kids, many younger kids wouldn’t let someone wash their hair. It’s a challenge to get them to stay still on the chair.

They may just want to charge adult price if it’s at the weekend as some hairdressers do that. Also if your daughters hair is thick they may give it a better cut if it’s wet. I can’t imagine it’s anything to do with covid regulations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

frillyleaf wrote: »
    How old is the kid and do they want to charge adult prices as opposed to the kids price? I’ve been to barbers and hairdresser with mine since they’ve opened and no one has had this rule. Especially for younger kids, many younger kids wouldn’t let someone wash their hair. It’s a challenge to get them to stay still on the chair.

They may just want to charge adult price if it’s at the weekend as some hairdressers do that. Also if your daughters hair is thick they may give it a better cut if it’s wet. I can’t imagine it’s anything to do with covid regulations.

Child is three years old.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Can deal with most things being closed... just need a haircut! Could start exporting mops at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Be a good citizens.

Obey your rulers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'm very much pro restrictions after the disaster of December and January

But I sure as fcuk can't figure out how Harvey Norman etc is deemed "essential" and barbers and hairdressers can't open for even a day or two a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

ShineOn7 wrote: »

But I sure a fcuk can't figure out how Harvey Norman etc is deemed "essential" and barbers and hairdressers can't open for even a day or two a week

Cos Harvey Norman has ( some ) stuff that people need. Barbers is a want.

Cos Harvey Norman has ( some ) stuff that people need. Barbers is a want.

Nah, I'm not buying it (literally)

Carphone Warehouse is open using the advertising strapline of "for all your essential smartphone needs"

That's just silly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

But I sure a fcuk can't figure out how Harvey Norman etc is deemed "essential" and barbers and hairdressers can't open for even a day or two a week

1 Go to Harvey Norman
    2 Buy a hair cutter
    3 Go home give yourself a marine buzzcut.
    4 Good to go for about 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Captcha wrote: »
    Can deal with most things being closed... just need a haircut! Could start exporting mops at this stage!

Loads of hair cuts happening as people have to make a living. Shouldn't take too long to find one in your area.

I did mine myself but know a few who are doing it for 20 per cut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You can get a coffee though!

Coffee shops are open, very essential people get a coffee.

That's a good point

If barbers are closed because "people can do DIY cuts"

Why are coffee shops still open when people can make their own at home and bring it into work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I made an executive decision yesterday - when they reopen I'm getting a No 2 and shall wear a cap from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

It's so annoying. I am in an 'essential' retail job, which could easily be emergency only but isn't, because money. In fact we are busier than ever as people have so few places to splash the covid cash.

I have to get dressed up and shaved to look presentable as a salesman, risk my health and my families health to provide this essential service (keeping my boss's business profitable), I make about 75 per week more than the PUP, have no sick pay in our contract.

But I can't get a fuppin haircut?

The essential product we sell is a personal item that requires me to often be close to the customer (with PPE on) to help with its fitting. I am often just as close to our customers as a barber would be to me getting a haircut. And our shop is tiny, when you do take a step back you will probably find yourself close to another customer or a coworker.

If I was a hairdresser and came into where we work and saw how there are 5 or 6 of us and sometimes 2- 3 customers all in the same small space I'd be furious that I'm not allowed to work.

I've seen hotels saying they are open for frontline essential workers, the barbers should at least be able to do that. If you're staying home and WFH it's not as much an issue, though part of the reason I want one is I get an itchy scalp when my hair is long, it's too heavy and my scalp can't breathe.

You can see all the footballers have haircuts, do they all have hairdresser gfs or is it a team barber? Theyre allowed back to work (if you call kicking a ball about work) making huge dosh AND they're getting haircuts that no one else can get. Well for some.

If I could find a black market hairdresser Id pay them up to 50 just for a wee trim no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

That's a good point

Why are coffee shops still open when people can make their own at home and bring it into work?

Because that isn't the reason barbers are closed. The person who gives you coffee from a hatch on the footpath isnt in close proximity to you for a long time like a barber is.

Not saying I agree with it, I am happy to take the risk as by now all barbers would have sanitizer and masks and do appointment only and max 2 people in at a time - which is exactly the same protocol as my current workplace which has been allowed to stay open and not only that, broke weekly sales records twice during lockdown (because people suddenly need our products a lot more now that they can't spend it on other stuff.)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 singmeasongy

they are open for take away coffee only. so irrelevant to compare in context of barbers being shut. :rolleyes:

I don't miss barbers that much. I wasn't the kinda person that was overly fashionable and in every week, but I'd pop in every now and again to be tidied up. I reckon a lot of people will have moved on to some extent. Almost everyone I know still looks the same as they did before the barbers closed, and they all just have clippers at home now.

Be a good citizens. Obey your rulers.

How are the reptilians getting on? Are they winning?

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's a good point

Why are coffee shops still open when people can make their own at home and bring it to work?

Every barber I've been to has had a cramped waiting area so little opportunity to distance. It requires very close contact for a period of time so the risk of transmission is higher than someone taking a few seconds to hand over your coffee. And it's probably impractical to wear a mask while getting your hair cut for obvious reasons.

I've gotten used to doing my own hair with clippers after watching youtube tutorials. Unless you need some sort of styling, I'm finding that I'm happier with my DIY job than I usually am with what the barbers do as they can't seem to interpret what I'm asking for. I'm not sure I'll go back to the Barbers unless it's for a special occasion.

Advertisement