Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's not, I know plenty of aesteticians that do it. I would never go to anyone whose not a doctor or nurse but it's really not very regulated. Unless theyre doing it illegally?

May be fillers they’re doing but Botox can not be administered by aestheticians this side of the border, and if you know of any you may want to report them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

It's not, I know plenty of aesteticians that do it. I would never go to anyone whose not a doctor or nurse but it's really not very regulated. Unless theyre doing it illegally?

Some places get a doctor/dentist in to do botox specifically. They will have clinic days just for botox. Maybe you're thinking of fillers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

https://www.visage-aesthetics.com/course/anti-wrinkle-dermal-fillers-non-medics-medics-diploma/

^ training for non medics, they offer this course in Dublin and Belfast

Do you have any links to Botox being offered by a non medic though?

Do you have any links to Botox being offered by a non medic though?

Possibly could be just fillers, I cant provide a link for botox, this was just a place that I knew who did training as I know people who trained with them. I know of one that does botox too, I never went to her for botox but she offered it to me and said she trained? Not sure id trust her at all now tbh.

• Advertisement

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/719536/

There’s a nurse that was struck off for administering Botox

Possibly could be just fillers, I cant provide a link for botox, this was just a place that I knew who did training as I know people who trained with them. I know of one that does botox too, I never went to her for botox but she offered it to me and said she trained? Not sure id trust her at all now tbh.

Nurses can administer in the north and in the UK. They can’t in the republic.

Nurses can administer in the north and in the UK. They can’t in the republic.

I dont know if she's a nurse but possibly she trained in the north and is administering in the south illegally? Tbh id say it's fairly common.
    I dunno, personally id be more comfortable with a trained nurse administering botox than a beauty therapist admintistering filler.

I don’t know, I’d not trust either to be honest because I’d worry where they sourced the Botox if they’re doing it illegally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

When will botox be allowed again? What phase?

Am watching a report here on the French first day of reopening. Shopping malls,hairdressers, everyone in good spirits. I envy them.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

acequion wrote: »

Am watching a report here on the French first day of reopening. Shopping malls,hairdressers, everyone in good spirits. I envy them.:(

Christ, off to France it is to get the hair done so:pac:

acequion wrote: »

Think it depends on where you get it done. A skincare clinic I go to regularly is currently closed and therefore no botox appointments, and I think they will be re-opening in same phase as hair dressers. A doctor local to me who does cosmetic treatments, including botox, is in a doctor's surgery and is technically open just restricted appointments. I dont know if you'd be given an appointment for botox as it stands, but I'd imagine when restrictions are lifted, they might begin offering non emergency appointments.

Dentists are only doing emergency consultations currently, and are awaiting guidance on how to proceed with regular treatments given the risk associated with their type of work so when they open, and what appointments/treatments they will offer may be different again.

I dont know how comfortable I would feel going for an appointment any time soon though, as much as I would love to get it done asap! Although it is done a lot quicker than a cut and colour would be for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rwalshie

Are there any hairdressers on that could advise what to do with regrowth of bleach highlights at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Another one who is looking forward to knowing when Botox will be available. I had mine topped up in December but hadn't had it for 14 months prior so I've no cumulative benefit left, so once it starts to wear off, it will be gone. Ideally I'd like to get it topped up as soon as I can as I really left it too long the last time. I'd like to get back to a place of getting it every 8-9 months, but I think I'll need to work up to that.

I'm fortunate that I don't dye my hair - I'm in my mid 30's and thankfully still have my natural colour and hair halfway down my back, so I plan to keep it like that for as long as I can. Once they greys take over, I might go lighter and shorter to make it easier to manage, but until that point, i'm saving myself lots of time and money by just getting 2/3 trims per year.

I am missing my lash extensions badly, and also missing my lash tech as she is just the loveliest woman. I have naturally crap lashes so I just get natural enough looking ones, and I really miss them. Mascara is no substitute in my case anyway. I bought Revitalash previously and didnt really improve matters for me, but I might try a home tint just for something to do with myself as much as anything.

One thing that I might not go back to is gell polish on my nails. I used to get them done every 2-3 weeks and my nails (which werent great to start off with) were in a bad enough state. Before christmas I got them done and the product failed to cure, meaning it started to blister and peal. The salon had to take it off and put on a different colour, but my nails were suffering from having it done twice in a few days. I had it taken off in early Jan and had planned to keep it off for 2-3 months, but then Covid happened so its been longer at this point, but I'm fairly used to just painting my nails now.

One thing I might drop

SozBbz wrote: »

One thing that I might not go back to is gell polish on my nails. I used to get them done every 2-3 weeks and my nails (which werent great to start off with) were in a bad enough state. Before christmas I got them done and the product failed to cure, meaning it started to blister and peal. The salon had to take it off and put on a different colour, but my nails were suffering from having it done twice in a few days. I had it taken off in early Jan and had planned to keep it off for 2-3 months, but then Covid happened so its been longer at this point, but I'm fairly used to just painting my nails now.

One thing I might drop

Shellac had my nails in bits. I love having perfectly done nails and at home stuff chips straight away on me no matter how I do it. But my nails are definitely in better shape nowadays too, they just dont look as pretty!

Any recommendations for a good varnish that doesn't chip? I use essie I think it is, it's supposed to be same as two week manicure, with a top coat, but it just peels and chips. I think I just need to adjust my lifestyle instead of the varnish- less cleaning and housework etc to avoid chipping :pac:

neonsofa wrote: »

Any recommendations for a good varnish that doesn't chip? I use essie I think it is, it's supposed to be same as two week manicure, with a top coat, but it just peels and chips. I think I just need to adjust my lifestyle instead of the varnish- less cleaning and housework etc to avoid chipping :pac:

I've just been using my very old and much neglected drawer full of nail polishes. I'm particularly liking one from Rituals (must have come in a set because I don't think I'd have bought it stand alone) in Vintage Pink and it lasts quite well.

I'm thinking of maybe buying a bottle or two from CND Vinylux, they're sold on millies.ie amongst other places, and its what a lot of salons use. I havent tried it but I believe its supposed to last longer.

I do miss having my cuticle work done, i need to buy some proper tools and learn to do it myself.

I do miss having my cuticle work done, i need to buy some proper tools and learn to do it myself.

Thanks for the polish recommendation!

Tweezerman are well worth the extra money you will pay for cuticle nippers. I loved my set til I lost them. I've bought multiple since then, from cheap to expensive (no tweezerman available at the time) and none have compared. They dont have the right amount of tension or they are not sharp enough, or they are a weird angle or grip
    The tweezerman ones are amazing. My cuticles are ragged from using the one I have now. Which doesn't help when I've no polish on either, my hands look awful!

neonsofa wrote: »

Tweezerman are well worth the extra money you will pay for cuticle nippers. I loved my set til I lost them. I've bought multiple since then, from cheap to expensive (no tweezerman available at the time) and none have compared. They dont have the right amount of tension or they are not sharp enough, or they are a weird angle or grip
    The tweezerman ones are amazing. My cuticles are ragged from using the one I have now. Which doesn't help when I've no polish on either, my hands look awful!

Oh interesting, thanks! Its often a case of buy cheap, buy twice with beauty products so I've no issue investing in something thats going to do the job well and last.

I've actually just been looking into the Vinylux colours and it turns out that some of the Shellac colours are also available in Vinylux, including my favourite colour ever, Lobster Roll! I got it about 5 times last summer, its just the perfect bright summer slightly orange/coral red, looks great if we get any sort of tan.

Worth looking into if you know the names of your favourite shellac colours :)

Oh interesting, thanks! Its often a case of buy cheap, buy twice with beauty products so I've no issue investing in something thats going to do the job well and last.

I've actually just been looking into the Vinylux colours and it turns out that some of the Shellac colours are also available in Vinylux, including my favourite colour ever, Lobster Roll! I got it about 5 times last summer, its just the perfect bright summer slightly orange/coral red, looks great if we get any sort of tan.

Worth looking into if you know the names of your favourite shellac colours :)

I get that shade on my toes for the very same reason, looks fantastic with a tan during the summer! :pac:

I love coral shades in summer. I also love getting neon tips done. I also like an accent nail even though it's really outdated, but I am so uncertain when it comes to choosing colours, and I like a glitter accent nail too! I tend to keep my make up fairly understated (mainly cause I'm not very talented with makeup) and then my nails will be colourful

Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

There’s a hair salon near me and I follow their page on Facebook... they’ve had several photo uploads of clients that they used Colour Wow Dream Coat on and they look amazing!!!
    I was meant to go to them before they closed up but sadly never got to :(
    I would have naturally very dark brown hair but I’ve been dyeing it black for 20+ years.
    Using Olia for the last few years and couldn’t recommend it enough as a hair colour.
    Always great coverage, hair feels great after it and after I’ve spent time blow drying it and straightening it, it actually looks quite ok...
    But the sheer shine, almost glass-like finish from clients she used this Dream Coat stuff looks AMAZING! Has anyone tried it? I’d love to know!
    Am almost going to bite the bullet and buy it on Amazon...
    Sorry for long post... I’ve never done Botox, I tweeze my eyebrows....but glossy hair is my absolute goal! :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

twirlagig wrote: »
    There’s a hair salon near me and I follow their page on Facebook... they’ve had several photo uploads of clients that they used Colour Wow Dream Coat on and they look amazing!!!
    I would have naturally very dark brown hair but I’ve been dyeing it black for 20+ years.
    Using Olia for the last few years and couldn’t recommend it enough as a hair colour.
    Always great coverage, hair feels great after it and after I’ve spent time blow drying it and straightening it, it actually looks quite ok...
    But the sheer shine, almost glass-like finish from clients she used this Dream Coat stuff looks AMAZING! Has anyone tried it? I’d love to know!
    Sorry for long post... I’ve never done Botox, I tweeze my eyebrows....but glossy hair is my absolute goal! :O

I found it on Look Fantastic at a much cheaper price than amazon. Also waiting for a few more trustable reviews before I buy it but it looks amazing!
    It’s been in my basket for weeks, I’m so tempted to bite the bullet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I found it on Look Fantastic at a much cheaper price than amazon. Also waiting for a few more trustable reviews before I buy it but it looks amazing!
    It’s been in my basket for weeks, I’m so tempted to bite the bullet :o

Interesting! Never bought from Look Fantastic before, have you? How much cheaper was it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Interesting! Never bought from Look Fantastic before, have you? How much cheaper was it? :)

I think it’s about €26 vs £25 on Amazon, but there’s always discount codes for 10/20/30% off going around so that would bring the price down even further.
    Delivery is only about a euro or so, Amazon delivery can be quite pricey depending on what you order.
    I’ve used it loads to order other things and I’ve never had a problem with it :)

Code WORTHIT for 15% off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You can buy it form M&S but I'd imagine it's dearer there. I had a mini of it and I just didn't really like it - I couldn't see the hype. Now maybe I wasn't using it right but my hair didn't look or feel slinky and smooth after using it, it felt like I had a build up of product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    You can buy it form M&S but I'd imagine it's dearer there. I had a mini of it and I just didn't really like it - I couldn't see the hype. Now maybe I wasn't using it right but my hair didn't look or feel slinky and smooth after using it, it felt like I had a build up of product.

I had never heard of it before reading this thread this morning and have been debating buying it after reading a few reviews.... now I'm having second thoughts :pac:

Or at least, probably worth getting a mini first and giving it a trial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I've used the dream coat in the past. It depends on your hair type tbh - mine would be quite frizzy so it tames it to something more manageable. It would defo be sleeker after using it, but not salon sleek of course. I think I got it originally in a m&s advent calendar and then bought it on LF with a massive discount. I started getting 16 week blowdrys a couple of years ago though so dont use it anymore

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    You can buy it form M&S but I'd imagine it's dearer there. I had a mini of it and I just didn't really like it - I couldn't see the hype. w maybe I wasn't using it right but my hair didn't look or feel slinky and smooth after using it, it felt like I had a build up of product.

agree, it did the same with mine. I have straight hair, its fine but lots of it. However I found Colour Wow acted like a conditioner, too much build up, made my hair heavy not swishy and light (the way I like it!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

I used to get Shellac done in the good ole days :) and I'll certainly go back to doing that again whenever it becomes possible. Am just leaving my nails be for the moment and trying to keep them moisturised with all the hand washing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Recieved the Nunale strengthening cream today, can’t say I like the smell it’s very strong but hopefully it will help. Nails are in bits with all the hand washing and I pick at them when stressed so cuticles are red raw and ripped to pieces.

I find it hard to grow out my nails I always think I’ve funny shaped wide nails and they look terrible when they grow out a bit. I’ve never had them grow past the white part really.

Has anyone advice to make them look nice? Is filing or cutting them across better? I’m clueless!

Advertisement