Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I still have a bit of shellac left on the tips of my toes. I presume it would not be healthy for me to wait and grow it out (and it would take an age!) Any ways of taking it off at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Buff to remove shine
    Take a cotton pad to make 2 circles then divide up into smaller pieces.
    Soak in acetone.
    Apply thin cotton to toenail.
    Wrap in foil.
    Wait approx 7 mins, use orange wood stick to scrap it off gently.
    Buff at the end.
    Apply nail hardener/cuticle oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I still have a bit of shellac left on the tips of my toes. I presume it would not be healthy for me to wait and grow it out (and it would take an age!) Any ways of taking it off at home?

Same as salons really, you need acetone, cotton pads, foil and a file to scuff the surface.

You should be able to get what you need from a local pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I removed my gel polish last night, filed off the top part of the colour to disturb the surface and then soaked cotton balls in acetone remover, wrapped tin foil around each toe, soaked for 30 minutes and then removed with an orange stick

I removed my gel polish last night, filed off the top part of the colour to disturb the surface and then soaked cotton balls in acetone remover, wrapped tin foil around each toe, soaked for 30 minutes and then removed with an orange stick

Absolutely no need to soak for 30 minutes with acetone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Where can you buy acetone? I remember looking for it before but couldn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

SozBbz wrote: »
    I'm thinking of maybe buying a bottle or two from CND Vinylux, they're sold on millies.ie amongst other places, and its what a lot of salons use. I havent tried it but I believe its supposed to last longer.

I do miss having my cuticle work done, i need to buy some proper tools and learn to do it myself.

Do you know if CND Vinylux is better than standard pharmacy brands? I'm in the same boat in that any home nail polish I use chips within a few hours. It could be my dodgy application of course! :rolleyes:

Do you know if CND Vinylux is better than standard pharmacy brands? I'm in the same boat in that any home nail polish I use chips within a few hours. It could be my dodgy application of course! :rolleyes:

Personally prefer Essie over vinylux but yes they’re definitely better quality than most pharmacy brands. The vinylux top coat is good as it hardens in natural UV.
    You can buy acetone in chemist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Personally prefer Essie over vinylux but yes they’re definitely better quality than most pharmacy brands. The vinylux top coat is good as it hardens in natural UV.
    You can buy acetone in chemist

I love Essie colours, they have so many shades, but I find it chips so quick on me. No matter how thin or thick I apply coats, or how close to the edge or neat I get. I've tried one layer and multiple. With a base and without, with a top coat and without, I've tried everything to make them work, apart from quitting all housework :pac: do you find a particular application works?

Really? I would have worked with Essie in the past and would prefer the results over any of the other brands, vinylux included (2nd fav). Prep is key.
    So what I would do would be keep the nails shorter, lightly buff the nail I would use some swipe or some alcohol to dehydrate the nail, id apply a very thin layer of base coat and cap the free edge, 2 thin coats of colour, and usually top coat, constantly capping the free edge. Wait until completely dry.

Prep is key. You put any colour on an oily or greasy nail bed and it will lift off.

https://ibb.co/WP3cb56 This is a cheap catrice colour I have on with no top coat, I have about 4 layers of it haha, but except for my thumb it has not budged and it will be on 2 weeks on Saturday. So, that would be my advice for longevity. Make sure the base is debris free and oil free.

• Advertisement

The only step I would miss is using alcohol so maybe that will be key! Thanks a million for that!

Absolutely no need to soak for 30 minutes with acetone

Thanks but I have tried this in the past and 30 minutes is what works for me. Anything less is pointless. Maybe it's just the remover I have, it's not pure acetone

Thanks but I have tried this in the past and 30 minutes is what works for me. Anything less is pointless. Maybe it's just the remover I have, it's not pure acetone

Fair enough, if it’s not pure acetone but soaking nails in pure acetone would be extremely damaging to the natural nail (and ineffective since the acetone would be absorbed and dried after 30 mins) and not something to be recommended when using pure acetone. I must have skimmed the original post and missed the not pure acetone part.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Teach30 wrote: »
    Recieved the Nunale strengthening cream today, can’t say I like the smell it’s very strong but hopefully it will help. Nails are in bits with all the hand washing and I pick at them when stressed so cuticles are red raw and ripped to pieces.

I find it hard to grow out my nails I always think I’ve funny shaped wide nails and they look terrible when they grow out a bit. I’ve never had them grow past the white part really.

Has anyone advice to make them look nice? Is filing or cutting them across better? I’m clueless!

Kinda of sounds like my nails, they have a wide look when they grow out so I tend to keep mine fairly short and neat. I started trimming with a nail clippers instead of scissors and find it much better. I find it easier to square them off.

Fair enough, if it’s not pure acetone but soaking nails in pure acetone would be extremely damaging to the natural nail (and ineffective since the acetone would be absorbed and dried after 30 mins) and not something to be recommended when using pure acetone. I must have skimmed the original post and missed the not pure acetone part.

Yeah I know, wouldn't do that if it was pure acetone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I found it on Look Fantastic at a much cheaper price than amazon. Also waiting for a few more trustable reviews before I buy it but it looks amazing!
    It’s been in my basket for weeks, I’m so tempted to bite the bullet :o

Well... I bought it today! Can’t wait to try it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

twirlagig wrote: »
    Well... I bought it today! Can’t wait to try it :D

Will you report back and let us know what you think? I’m still on the fence, would love to hear more reviews from impartial regular consumers! Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have the dream coat and I don’t like it tbh. I’m thinking of giving it to my sister who has thicker hair than me. Did you ever straighten your hair after being freshly washed and it still feels greasy and like there’s a layer of something there? That’s how it made my hair feel. It’s meant to be unreal for people who have naturally curly hair and I’m half bichon frise so I thought it would be class but I didn’t like it. Am holding onto it for when I take the notion to use it again but it’s shoved in a drawer since and I don’t even look at it. The Dream Filter though I love.

Will you report back and let us know what you think? I’m still on the fence, would love to hear more reviews from impartial regular consumers! Thanks a mill :)

I absolutely will! Had planned to use this evening but I’m just wrecked! :(
    Will be trying it tomorrow evening or Saturday :)
    Can’t wait to see if it lives up to the hype. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm hearing great things about the Moroccan oil colour depositing mask. Has anyone here used it?

• Advertisement

The Dream Filter though I love.

Sis, I had high hopes for this and it let me down, no difference whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

neonsofa wrote: »
    Sis, I had high hopes for this and it let me down, no difference whatsoever.

Oh no! Maybe you’re already dream filtered enough sis so it had nothing to work with :pac:
    I remember not liking it the first time I used it but I loved my hair the wash after. And ever since I’ll use it every second wash with a purple shampoo and I find it works for me that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm hearing great things about the Moroccan oil colour depositing mask. Has anyone here used it?

I'll be interested to hear this also. I've recently used an alfaparf pigment and been underwhelmed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Sinead from TheBeautTruth is a big fan of the Moroccan Oil Colour masks - but thats all I know! I don't colour my hair so I might look into the non colour ones.

I bought an overnight mask from Bumble and Bumble: https://www.lookfantastic.com/bumble-and-bumble-while-you-sleep-overnight-hair-mask-190ml/11726892.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=EUR&shippingcountry=IE&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000049794463&adtype=pla&product_id=11726892&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-_j1BRDkARIsAJcfmTFu3xouhoBVE_B6QTSmEfFaJBDv94El9ChM24tdSukaw7HkyNAmfn8aAhsyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Not wild about it to be honest.

I was influenced by Karla K, she said she loved it and it made her hair feel expensive, but I don't notice any major difference when I use it. I'll use it up obviously, but wouldnt buy again as its so expensive and I think I can get better outcomes from other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Independent reporting today that there are calls from ministers for hairdressers and beauty salons to open next month.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/hairdressers-beauticians-and-barbers-could-open-as-early-as-next-month-amid-push-from-ministers-39211133.html

Update on the Dream Coat....
    Well, I used it yesterday and have to say I’m totally impressed! Took me a long time to section my hair and blow dry it all properly but definitely worth it. I then used my straightener on it and it really does deliver on the ‘shine factor’! :D
    Had a shower this morning but gathered up my hair with a simple clip and wore a shower cap. Normally even a hint of steam deems a shower cap useless to me, but it was perfect when I took it off and brushed it.
    I got caught in a small drizzly shower on lunch break today and I DID have the tiniest few frizzy hairs on my parting pop up after it but nothing like the 7 million I’d normally get!
    I don’t know would it last 3 days though... my fringe is kinda greasy looking this evening. I don’t know if I used to much product on the fringe or if it’s due to my forehead skin being a little bit oily.
    All in all, I’d recommend it :)

Prep is key. You put any colour on an oily or greasy nail bed and it will lift off.

https://ibb.co/WP3cb56 This is a cheap catrice colour I have on with no top coat, I have about 4 layers of it haha, but except for my thumb it has not budged and it will be on 2 weeks on Saturday. So, that would be my advice for longevity. Make sure the base is debris free and oil free.

So, I dehydrated the nail with alcohol like you advised, and my nails are still beautiful, no chips!! Cant believe something so simple made such a difference!

I’m delighted neon. A little hack for you now. :)

I’m delighted neon. A little hack for you now. :)

I was too busy marvelling to actually say thank you which was the point of that post! Lol
    Thank you <3

• Advertisement

neonsofa wrote: »
    So, I dehydrated the nail with alcohol like you advised, and my nails are still beautiful, no chips!! Cant believe something so simple made such a difference!

Same!!! Amazing, after all these years of wasted time and nail polish... It's mad the things that make me happy :D

Thanks for the masterclass Shoes.

Advertisement