Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Same!!! Amazing, after all these years of wasted time and nail polish... It's mad the things that make me happy :D

Thanks for the masterclass Shoes.

Silly question but is it easy to get rubbing alcohol for this purpose?

Would it be in any pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Same!!! Amazing, after all these years of wasted time and nail polish... It's mad the things that make me happy :D

Thanks for the masterclass Shoes.

Everybody else will emerge from quarantine with new baking skills or new languages, we will have beautiful long lasting manicures! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

SozBbz wrote: »
    Silly question but is it easy to get rubbing alcohol for this purpose?

Would it be in any pharmacy?

You should be able to get it in any chemist. I've gotten it at the pharmacy counter in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Since the lockdown started, my routine and also usage of the products changed !
    Stopped using lipstick altogether when going out, as I am always wearing the surgical mask when going out for food.
    Only wear lipstick when I have a video call, now.
    Main attention for me now is on the brows, I always wear a tinted brow gel.
    My skin has been behaving well, mostly, could be due to less pollution and also the home cooked food, have been eating (even) more fruit and veg.
    Practically zero breakouts, and also no flaking.
    No complaints, really !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

neonsofa wrote: »
    Everybody else will emerge from quarantine with new baking skills or new languages, we will have beautiful long lasting manicures! :pac:

The only skill you need really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

On the wow dream colour filter....I’ve been using it religiously....went from balyage to full blown bloody platinum right before the pandemic

Could I have picked a worst time for this change??! Anywho, I’ve been seeing it on Instagram that the wow filter strips you’re hair and leads to breakages and that you need to use an intensive hair treatment after you use it

I hadn’t been doing this of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Hi guys, I would hugely appreciate some help please. My hairdresser tells me that I'm a 5 in a semi permanent hair colour. That's a dark brown. It's always perfect when done at the salon but I've never done it myself.

Now like everyone I'll do what I have to and I'm sure there are good youtube tutorials to help and it's only the roots that need doing. The problem is though that I don't know what product to buy or where. In Dunnes, all the colours seem permanent and all have different numbers, not a simple no 5.

Please help and thank so much in advance. I live near a Boots if there would be something there and I don't mind paying a bit more for the right product.

I’m not a hairdresser but as far as I know the 5 will apply to the colour you have to mix so you’d be buying it as professional product in a salon services shop.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

acequion wrote: »
    Hi guys, I would hugely appreciate some help please. My hairdresser tells me that I'm a 5 in a semi permanent hair colour. That's a dark brown. It's always perfect when done at the salon but I've never done it myself.

Now like everyone I'll do what I have to and I'm sure there are good youtube tutorials to help and it's only the roots that need doing. The problem is though that I don't know what product to buy or where. In Dunnes, all the colours seem permanent and all have different numbers, not a simple no 5.

Please help and thank so much in advance. I live near a Boots if there would be something there and I don't mind paying a bit more for the right product.

If you’re looking to do your roots only then you could go for the clairol root touch up which Boots stock online: https://www.boots.ie/boots-nice-n-easy-root-touch-up-hair-dye-5-medium-brown-30ml-10241717

If you want to bring the colour through your ends to refresh and it’s your first time then I would advise using a semi permanent dye instead, they’re much more forgiving than permanent.

I use the Nice n Easy no ammonia, the colours aren’t listed like other box dyes (5 being medium brown, 4 dark brown etc) so you’d need to check the Clairol site to match the colour.

Hope that helps, best of luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Shoesdayschild and NicsM for your help and replies.

It is the first time I've ever had to colour my own hair. I've always had it done in the same salon and they've always used the same colour. It's semi permanent as I have very little grey.

I really do hate having to do it myself. I can actually manage to cut it no problem, but it's the colour that's the tricky one for me. I really would love if hairdressers were successful in their campaign to open sooner. I'd nearly wait.

But I'll have a look at Clairol Nice n Easy. That sounds promising.

Thanks again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Caved in bought a box of loreal casting creme in shade medium brown. Applied it this evening and so disappointed its made barely any difference to my hair. I just wanted something that would banish the orangey brassy tones to my dark brown hair. Now Im left with a forehead covered in dye and hair colour still looking as dull as dish water, grrrr.

Caved in bought a box of loreal casting creme in shade medium brown. Applied it this evening and so disappointed its made barely any difference to my hair. I just wanted something that would banish the orangey brassy tones to my dark brown hair. Now Im left with a forehead covered in dye and hair colour still looking as dull as dish water, grrrr.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of.

I know there's a virus and we have to be careful. But literally every other service I can live without. But not my hairdresser.:(

If it’s just to freshen up a brown and not actually go near the roots then I’d be looking at a revlon nutricolour

If you're just looking to banish brassy tones, I'd look at colour shampoos/ conditioners. Like shoesdayschild recommends, the revlon nutri colour, or a blue toned shampoo/conditioner specifically for brown hair. There are also some temporary colour depositing masks like the Moroccan oil ones. Blue shampoo will be very drying so prob better going with a conditioner or mask product. I used to mix blue or purple shampoo in with my conditioner when I was desperate! I always found the purple conditioners too light in pigment, but the shampoos too drying, but I wouldnt be advising that if your hair is in need of care....or at all really.... but it did the job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm a dyed red head, I'm convincingly ginger being pale,blue eyed and full of freckles but I have mousy brown hair naturally.
    I've not had my roots coloured since February and by now it's gone so bad I'm just leaning into it.
    I've been getting my niece to do two french plaits since my hair is now down to my hips and it doesn't look too bad.My roots are totally brown and the plaits are totally red.

Not ideal but I'm just going to roll with it till I can get it done and then I'll be back to feeling like myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm a dyed red head, I'm convincingly ginger being pale,blue eyed and full of freckles but I have mousy brown hair naturally.
    I've not had my roots coloured since February and by now it's gone so bad I'm just leaning into it.
    I've been getting my niece to do two french plaits since my hair is now down to my hips and it doesn't look too bad.My roots are totally brown and the plaits are totally red.

Not ideal but I'm just going to roll with it till I can get it done and then I'll be back to feeling like myself.

I'm similar. My hair is dyed copper but I have medium brown hair. Most people did not know I was not a natural redhead. It hasn't been done since mid December :eek: so everyone knows now! Unfortunately there's a fair few silver strands there too.

I bought Casting Creme Gloss to do it but had a reaction to the patch test. Devastated! I'm worried I won't be able to continue colouring it at all now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

As restrictions continue, I'm thinking of treating myself to a few nice polishes, but obviously, I can't go into Boots etc and work away sampling their wares, seeing how long they last etc!

I'm looking for a polish that I'd get about a week out of, ideally.

I was looking at Essie, but all the different bottles are confusing me. I don't understand which are which, and how they differ- I think they changed bottle/brush a while ago, and don't want to spend my hard earned cash on something that is being discontinued!
    Plus, the different shape and size bottles upset the OCD part of my brain. :pac:

Maybe Opi or Vinylux? Any of the nail experts here suggest anything, brand wise? :)

Personally I’d choose Essie then vinylux then opi then Jessica

Thanks, Shoes! :)

Also loving the tip about nails and alcohol. I only ever bother prepping nails properly if I'm using gel. What a revelation! :D

Are these the new Essie bottles? I think the ones with the white writing on them are the old ones with the old brushes, and the horrific weird shaped bottles are the Gel Couture, which seems to be discontinued. What can I say? I crave structure and conformity. :pac:

Essie_Jul19_Summer2020_299_640x360.jpg?h=180&w=180&la=en-US&hash=0CA9D15FEA4676E7D577B05F785F7AFA2E0648EA

• Advertisement

They look like the regular Essie to be honest. Like those bottles have been on the go since at least 2015.

Posy wrote: »
    Thanks, Shoes! :)

Also loving the tip about nails and alcohol. I only ever bother prepping nails properly if I'm using gel. What a revelation! :D

Are these the new Essie bottles? I think the ones with the white writing on them are the old ones with the old brushes, and the horrific weird shaped bottles are the Gel Couture, which seems to be discontinued. What can I say? I crave structure and conformity. :pac:

The gel bottles were actually really handy for me cause I'd hold them at an angle and rest my nail into the curve of the bottle and it would help steady my hand at a good angle to paint right to the edge! Rather than laying my hand flat on a surface which I find more difficult to get the polish right to the side of the nail. Dunno if I'm describing that well at all!

You are actually!
    They look like the regular Essie to be honest. Like those bottles have been on the go since at least 2015.
    Ah, I was looking online and found two main types, so thought maybe one was the old style bottle/polish.
    Nn0lQup.png?1
    I really need to stop overthinking things. :D

Anyway, I guess I will have to just order a selection of polishes and see what I like. I'm a martyr like that in these tough times. :pac:

Check savers.ie

It might be cheaper than look fantastic I don’t know now, that’s where I’d buy my Essie

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

My eyebrows are a state, it's the whispy little ones towards the end of the brow, so can't handle the plucking there at all :-(

I'm so grateful for my fringe right now, it's hiding a multitude of sins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Minier81 wrote: »
    My eyebrows are a state, it's the whispy little ones towards the end of the brow, so can't handle the plucking there at all :-(

Use an ice cube..... just hold it over that area for a little bit and wiggle it about a bit! :D
    It really does help - I could pluck between my brows no problem but those outside bits?!! :O

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Posy wrote: »

Anyway, I guess I will have to just order a selection of polishes and see what I like. I'm a martyr like that in these tough times. :pac:

My fave Essie polishes are Play Date (purple) and Cocktail Bling (blue-grey). I think Play Date might be on of the only polishes I've ever finished, or at least got down enough that it wasn't really usable.

I got subtle highlights and balayage done at the end of Jan and it's generally still looking good thanks to how well it was done, very little actually on the top layer of hair if you get me. But now my hair is getting so long I can tie it up in a bun again... Revealing ROOTS when I scrape it back! I've never had highlights before so that was unwelcome :pac: No budget to get it redone when salons open again so will have to just suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Twee I got some coloured dry shampoo in light brown to colour my highlight roots - its quite pigmented you only need a tiny bit. The one I got was Josh Wood but Id say you can get better ones.

I know Batiste do a brown one as well - not sure what colour would suit you but might blend the blonde in a bit.

Not sure I would really recommend the Josh Wood one but I got it in a beauty box and its defo blending my roots but wouldnt use it as a dry shampoo on its own as its a bit thick or something

Advertisement