Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    No, I don’t represent anyone.

I wasn’t aware of any county that’s been classed as Covid free. Where did you read that?

However I am a member of a hair & beauty forum for professionals and a large proportion of the members posting don’t seem particularly keen to return to work because they don’t feel it’s safe to do so, just yet.

If you had a row of say 6 chairs in the salon, to maintain a safe distance you’ll have to take every other chair out of service. So you’re immediately halving the numbers of clients you can attend to.

You can’t use a hairdryer at all, so clients will have to leave with towel dried hair.

A plastic face shield only offers limited protection to your eyes so as the hairdresser, you’d still need to wear a mask to cover your nose and mouth. You’ll have to change it regularly throughout the day as you’re not supposed to wear the same one for hours on end.

Clients will also be required to wear a face mask and those that refuse will have to be refused service. You can’t offer drinks to clients and you can’t have clients bringing their own drinks because then, they’ll have to remove their own face masks to drink it, which they won’t be allowed to do.

Hairdressers will need to use full length disposable gowns or a clean gown for every client. Not just the disposable bib used when colouring.

You have to wipe down and disinfect every piece of equipment inc. basin chairs between clients, so adding more time to every appointment.

A lot of salon owners are concerned about how they’re going to cover the extra costs especially as they’ll obviously see fewer clients and have the same amount of costs to pay for rent, heating etc. as they had before lockdown.

You might not have given much thought to what’s going to be required for a safe re-opening, but I can assure you there’s a lot of very anxious hairdressers, beauticians and nail techs out there who have thought of nothing but how they’re going to keep their businesses running and still make enough to live on!

Sligo hasn’t had any new cases in 24 days, Kerry & Donegal are at 21 and 19 days respectively.
    Mayo hasn’t had any new cases in 10 days, Clare is at 6 and Carlow & Tipperary have been covid-19 free for 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

But they’ll still have to do all of that three weeks later on July 20th when they are due to reopen? :confused:
    And your initial post said “the majority of hairdressers, beauty salons and nail techs” don’t want this but as it transpires it’s just a cohort on a beauty forum you frequent.
    It’s quite clear that there’s a large portion of the industry who are itching to get back to work, have put procedures in place to make it safe and should be allowed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    No, I don’t represent anyone.

I wasn’t aware of any county that’s been classed as Covid free. Where did you read that?

However I am a member of a hair & beauty forum for professionals and a large proportion of the members posting don’t seem particularly keen to return to work because they don’t feel it’s safe to do so, just yet.

If you had a row of say 6 chairs in the salon, to maintain a safe distance you’ll have to take every other chair out of service. So you’re immediately halving the numbers of clients you can attend to.

You can’t use a hairdryer at all, so clients will have to leave with towel dried hair.

A plastic face shield only offers limited protection to your eyes so as the hairdresser, you’d still need to wear a mask to cover your nose and mouth. You’ll have to change it regularly throughout the day as you’re not supposed to wear the same one for hours on end.

Clients will also be required to wear a face mask and those that refuse will have to be refused service. You can’t offer drinks to clients and you can’t have clients bringing their own drinks because then, they’ll have to remove their own face masks to drink it, which they won’t be allowed to do.

Hairdressers will need to use full length disposable gowns or a clean gown for every client. Not just the disposable bib used when colouring.

You have to wipe down and disinfect every piece of equipment inc. basin chairs between clients, so adding more time to every appointment.

A lot of salon owners are concerned about how they’re going to cover the extra costs especially as they’ll obviously see fewer clients and have the same amount of costs to pay for rent, heating etc. as they had before lockdown.

You might not have given much thought to what’s going to be required for a safe re-opening, but I can assure you there’s a lot of very anxious hairdressers, beauticians and nail techs out there who have thought of nothing but how they’re going to keep their businesses running and still make enough to live on!

Of course I appreciate your concerns but my point is that salons are reopening steadily in Europe without any notable spikes so I can't see why we should be any different here.

There are three counties in Ireland which have been Covid free for a week and the numbers are steadily declining everywhere.Another poster has posted the stats. Going back out into the post Covid world is daunting but we cannot hide from it forever and people will be uneasy whether it's early July, late July or any time for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Maybe I’m just ultra cautious but I live in Cork in a touristy part and I’m seeing a lot of visitors coming into the area (especially U.K. reg cars!).

It’s understandable that people are nervous but realistically services are going to have to resume at some point. Some may never feel that it’s safe enough to return and that’s fair enough, but you can’t expect the majority of services to grind to a halt until a minority feel they are ready. There is clearly a large enough backing to get things moving again in order for the IHF to put forward proposals. When will it ever be 100% safe? Possibly never? But parts of society can’t be paralysed until then, whenever then is - and industries have suffered enough. Countries that have salons open have seen no outbreaks or spikes as a result so here’s hoping we will be the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

If salons open june 29th or july 20 there isn't going to a huge difference to safety and exposure of staff.

I think much like schools each individual salon will face its own challenges. Some will find it much easier to adapt than others.

I think staffing could be a bigger issue, hair and beauty employs mainly women. With childcare facilities saying they could have reduced capacity, families not wanting to expose older grandparents I think there could be alot not able to return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

My niece sent me a link saying that a Gov source confirmed to The Times that hairdressers are set to open end of June. Happy Days.....

Brilliant news if true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

My niece sent me a link saying that a Gov source confirmed to The Times that hairdressers are set to open end of June. Happy Days.....

I really hope that's true ... only problem is that my usual hairdresser is the other side of the country (where my parents live), I wonder would a haircut be deemed essential travel :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

According to a post on Reddit, quoting from the Irish Times 'reopening is set to be brought forward to June 29th', so not 100% confirmed, but looking very hopeful.

Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What’ll be the first treatment that you’ll book? I need my nails back on, back massage and pedicure! Wouldn’t mind a facial but I’ll hold off on that!

Already booked in with my nail girl for the day she reopens!! :) I've really missed my Shellac.

Then I'll get my eyebrows done, they're an awful state. And may treat myself to LVL lashes when I'm at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The news articles all seem to be getting updated now to say that they'll open "earlier than expected", with no date given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I've decided that I'm not going to go back to getting Shellac - I'd actually stopped about 2 months before the pandemic and only even intended to give my nails a break, but now I'm thinking its just one less thing to think about.

I do need a trim but since my hair is its natural colour, I'm not rushing back to the hairdressers as I think there are people who need their services far more than me! I'll get a trim eventually once the initial rush has subsided.

One thing that I'm unsure of is lashes. I've had lash extensions mostly for the past 6/7 years and I've always gone to the same girl. I'm very fond of her but I've actually adjusted to not having them, so I feel a bit conflicted as I don't want to desert her but if she wasn't a factor, I'd probably go without them at this point. She's very popular and I always have to book my appointments well ahead of time, but I suppose if everyone takes the same attitude as me then she might be in trouble. I might monitor her online booking to see how busy shes keeping!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

SozBbz wrote: »
    I feel a bit conflicted as I don't want to desert her but if she wasn't a factor, I'd probably go without them at this point. She's very popular and I always have to book my appointments well ahead of time, but I suppose if everyone takes the same attitude as me then she might be in trouble. I might monitor her online booking to see how busy shes keeping!

You sound really kind. If she's been so busy that appointments needed to be booked far in advance in the past then I'm sure she'll be more in demand then ever when she reopened. Don't feel obligated to go if you're happy not to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Has anyone ever got an eyelash lift? I have long and quite thick eyelashes and no matter how much I curl my eyelashes before putting on mascara, they always end up drooping down under their own weight. It was something I was curious about getting done before the pandemic, would anyone recommend it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm in the UK so we haven't had quite such positive news here, but I think my hairdressers are hoping to reopen in early July. I'll be booking straight in for a full head of highlights once they will have me!

A cut is less important to me, as I just have straight fine hair that I'm growing anyway.

A few years ago I went through a serious poor period and I stopped getting most beauty treatments done, so highlights are the only things I'm really missing. I'd love a manicure, a massage and possibly eyelash extensions, but I'm not in any rush for those. If life were normal, I'd probably get various bits waxed or lasered, but I'm happy to wait quite a long time to do that now, as I'm in the swing of looking after it all myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hoping my eyebrow place will send out an update soon, that'll be my number 1 treatment. I started lockdown with above shoulder hair and it's gone so long, I really like it! Definitely needs a tidy though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

My hair has stayed reasonably presentable, shape wise, but I'm really looking forward to getting it cut. That will be my first priority, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Went on line this morning to book hair app for my kids and the barber prices have gone up by more than 10%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I really hope that's true ... only problem is that my usual hairdresser is the other side of the country (where my parents live), I wonder would a haircut be deemed essential travel :D

Travel limits are being lifted on 29 June!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm going to get my hair dyed first and foremost.My roots were to be done in early April....:o
    I don't get much done treatment wise but I may treat myself to my nails after this dies down.
    I've a spa voucher I'm dying to use but I'll wait and see what way massages are being done.
    I get laser hair removal done but I'll wait to see when I can get my hair done then I'll book in for my touch up sessions.I'm staying as available as can possibly be for the hairdresser. I told my manager that I'll be taking any appointment I can get and she is ok with me logging out during the work day for such an important task :p:pac:

Honestly I can't wait to get my botox topped up. I normally go for a little and often approach but it's been over 4 months now since I last went and I'm pretty sure it's completely gone. I have an appointment for next week.

Other than that, I'm pretty low maintenance. I just need a haircut. I've been tinting my own brows throughout lockdown and it's so quick and easy that I'll never pay for it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I keep getting mixed messages about when Therapie are opening up again for botox. Has anybody secured an appointment yet?

I keep getting mixed messages about when Therapie are opening up again for botox. Has anybody secured an appointment yet?

15th June, they changed the reopening dates a couple times due to changing regulations but they're back next week thank God. You can book appointments on their app.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Has anyone ever got an eyelash lift? I have long and quite thick eyelashes and no matter how much I curl my eyelashes before putting on mascara, they always end up drooping down under their own weight. It was something I was curious about getting done before the pandemic, would anyone recommend it?

Yes I get LVL lashes done a few times a year. I have very long, straight lashes and curlers or mascara never have any effect for me. With LVL they stay curled and actually look even longer. They stay out of my eyes and I don't get marks on my under eye from mascara or smudges on my glasses from my lashes brushing the lens!

I can go without mascara while the tint lasts or add mascara for a more dramatic look. The tint usually lasts me about 10 days before I would start applying mascara daily again. The lift itself is at its best for about 6 weeks then I can see it starting to drop a bit. At this point I can bring it back a little with the curler. I would get another 4 to 6 weeks before my lashes are back to normal, so I only feel I need the treatment 3 or 4 times a year.

I'm pregnant at the moment and with lockdown haven't had my lashes done since Xmas last year. It will be the first treatment I get done when I've had the baby and salons reopen.

I think it depends on the branch. Last I checked they were taking appointments for on-street branches, but not for branches in shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Just to update on the Nunale nail cream that was recommended here. Unfortunately it’s done nothing for my nails, they still peel once they get to a certain stage.
    It’s an ok cream but nothing special. It did make my cuticles very thick though, not sure if this is a good or bad thing?

The search continues but I think I’ll go to doctors to see if I'm deficient in something, they literally just snag on things and then peel away so I end up ripping the peeling bit off to stop it catching on things. Not a great look.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I can't wait to get my highlights done! I hope they do decide on June 29th. :)

Although I think I might go a bit darker than usual, to get longer out of my hair this time, because I don't think going to the hairdressers is going to be in any way fun and I want to get as long as possible out of it. My hair is darker now, so I'd rather even it up, rather than go too light.

• Advertisement

Random purchase, I bought a big pack of plastic disposable socks on Amazon. So I can give myself overnight foot treatments (with coconut oil etc) without messing up my sheets!

Advertisement