Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I got the Moroccan Oil dry shampoo light tones after seeing Pippa recommend it and I really like it for brightening my highlights but it also kind of lightens your natural root. Like I can still see my contrasting root but I think they blend in better. I use it not when my hair is in need of a wash but straight after washing and blow drying, I just spray it on and it leaves my hair so soft too and smells gorgeous. Has anyone tried the Batiste one for blonde hair? I’m interested in that one too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Random purchase, I bought a big pack of plastic disposable socks on Amazon. So I can give myself overnight foot treatments (with coconut oil etc) without messing up my sheets!

I bought the footner exfoliating socks...revolutionary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I got the Moroccan Oil dry shampoo light tones after seeing Pippa recommend it and I really like it for brightening my highlights but it also kind of lightens your natural root. Like I can still see my contrasting root but I think they blend in better. I use it not when my hair is in need of a wash but straight after washing and blow drying, I just spray it on and it leaves my hair so soft too and smells gorgeous. Has anyone tried the Batiste one for blonde hair? I’m interested in that one too

Oh interesting....I can’t stand the smell of batiste so I stay away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I got the Moroccan Oil dry shampoo light tones after seeing Pippa recommend it and I really like it for brightening my highlights but it also kind of lightens your natural root.

I also bought this and do find it good but I dunno if I must missing my hair half the time as it seems to be on every surface

fed_u wrote: »
    I also bought this and do find it good but I dunno if I must missing my hair half the time as it seems to be on every surface

I found the same! I do like it though I think it’s something I’ll keep using even when I get my hair done and don’t resemble Worzel Gummidge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The Batiste blonde dry shampoo is rubbish in my experience.

For light hair I highly recommend back to blonde magnetic powder by everpro beauty, it's like a pressed powder that you put on with a small sponge applicator. Great coverage but you don't feel you have a load of product in your hair like a lot of the alternatives. They do a similar product for dark hair. I got mine in a pharmacy but you can also get it on Amazon.

Oh great. I’ll try that. I had my eye on the Colour Wow root touch up but it’s sold out everywhere in the blonde shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VesnaLukic

I keep getting mixed messages about when Therapie are opening up again for botox. Has anybody secured an appointment yet?

The reason as to why they keep changing the dte is that therapie are not allowed to open before July 20 or June 29 at the earliest. Its a cat and mouse game with the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It depends on your clinic. I had my botox topped up last Tuesday, but my clinic is run by qualified doctors/dentists so I’m not sure if that makes a difference.
    A lot of them are open down my way.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It depends on your clinic. I had my botox topped up last Tuesday, but my clinic is run by qualified doctors/dentists so I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

Seems crazy as I'm sure the clinics will be just as prepped as doctors. I was at the dentist 4 weeks ago at this stage , no problems at all, lots of PPE but that was it. Why the beauty industry and hair salons are still closed is beyond me.
    8 new cases of Covid in Ireland yesterday, 1 death, this is beyond ridiculous.

I'm getting my botox topped up next week by a doctor. I've been to him before. But I have also used a clinic (if I can't get appointments depending on work etc) and they are still closed :confused:

Back in March I panicked as I was due a botox top up then so I knew I was looking at months with none at all. As an experiment and a treat I bought 3 months of Imedeen Time Perfection and its been positively brilliant. My skin is so much softer and glowing. I am much happier with it than I was in March so much so that I am only getting one area of Botox instead of my usual two! Lines have definitely reduced , and its natural!

It takes 3 months to show and its expensive, but so it Botox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

SusieBlue wrote: »

My usual clinic phoned me last week to say that the clinic isnt open yet but that the doctor can practice now so he will be offering botox appointments from the clinic, and since mine was cancelled during the pandemic i got first preference of appointments. I told her that I would probably be attending a clinic closer to home in future- less people, customer parking etc so its safer in terms of covid. She said many people said that :( the clinic i usually go to is in the centre of town basically and only really accessible by public transport if I don't wanna pay extortionate parking fee so its just not practical right now, even though they are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

My Botox practicioner is open again, but as above she is a dentist.

I havent gone back yet but will do in the next 4/6 weeks probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I have seen a sun bed place is open locally as the queues outside are madness - I get there is no therapist involved but what criteria are they under to be able to open??

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

fed_u wrote: »
    I have seen a sun bed place is open locally as the queues outside are madness - I get there is no therapist involved but what criteria are they under to be able to open??

I saw a couple open too, madness.

Its actually not allowed under the guidelines. What we have is doctors taking a chance that they wont be inspected, but I guess the Medical Council will have a word with them. The majority of clinics remain closed because they comply with the direction, doctors and therapie are deciding that they will open, no matter what the direction from public health,
    There was something in the weekend papers about it, the reporter caught some doctor in Fitzwilliam who was made to look very sheepish

It was on RTE news last Friday week that Dr Holohan does not want botox clinics, or any close personal treatments to start until July 20, but that may be brought forward to June 29. The majority of proper clinics remain closed because they are responsible. If any places are open, whats another 2 weeks to wait? If one place gets away with it, every place can just open as they like

We all making these sacrifices for the vulnerable in our community. The responsible clinics remain shut. Therapie said that with them, it was "perfectly safe" Being in someones face is not. There is a reason why Dr Holohan wants that industry not to reopen. PPE does not cut it to stop the disease. The doctors who open at the moment, and couldnt wait 2 weeks to become millionaires, are not the same doctors as our HSE Heroes.

Sunbeds are personal contact, and should not be open. This virus is brought in on our shoes, on our clothes, in our lungs. No amount of "new lamps" and "we are wearing PPE' will make that place safe, and the owner is irresponsible and already has forgotten the deaths that this virus caused. Would Christy Dignam approve?

VesnaLukic wrote: »
    Its actually not allowed under the guidelines. What we have is doctors taking a chance that they wont be inspected, but I guess the Medical Council will have a word with them. The majority of clinics remain closed because they comply with the direction, doctors and therapie are deciding that they will open, no matter what the direction from public health,
    There was something in the weekend papers about it, the reporter caught some doctor in Fitzwilliam who was made to look very sheepish

They’re guidelines, not laws. They haven’t broken any laws.
    They’re publishing the fact that they’re open for business across social media so I doubt they’re just hoping not to be inspected - if the medical council wants to see who is open and who isn’t all they have to do is check social media.
    They aren’t being remotely shady about it at all and they haven’t broken any rules.

And speak for yourself because my clinic is highly professional and responsible, they took every precaution they possibly could.
    1 client in the waiting room at a time, hand sanitiser and disposable gloves/masks/gown available for each client before going into the treatment room, and the practitioner wore a full hazmat suit with PPE face shield, goggles, mask and gloves.
    I couldn’t possibly have felt safer or in better hands and waiting till 20th of July vs this week makes absolutely no difference if the same procedures will be in place.
    How is it not safe and too dangerous now, but it will be perfectly ok on 29th June/July 20th?

I actually just looked online and all the local clinics to me that are operated by doctors and dentists are already open and have been for over a week now.
    I would imagine it has less to do with being ‘unable to wait two weeks to become millionaires’ and more to do with the fact that they had plans for opening in place, they had a huge demand for appointments, overhead costs were starting to pile up and they wanted to get their staff off the COVID payment and back to work.

At this point I think any business that is able to open with precautions and plans in place should be allowed to do so, it shouldn’t be industry specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

All very good points SusieBlue but I will have to wait for christy dignams take on this.

• Advertisement

Guidelines in medical terms are much stronger than in most other industries. The numbers just now are tiny, but the people in the know understand that when people get close, infections increase. The same people who got us this far by deciding the moves to get the numbers to this level know the risks involved in close contact, thats why they want those industries to be last to open.
    We all have made changes to our lifestyle in the last few months. For me, I think of our vulnerable citizens, the 9 healthcare workers, the young and the old and the near 2500 people of this island who would prefer now to be living.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

The numbers just now are tiny, but the people in the know understand that when people get close, infections increase.

I think the majority of people know this but that is why these places are putting measures in place to reduce close contact.

Just curious Vesna, do you have a vested interest in this? 6 posts on boards and they are all in regard to clinics reopening.

Ithink that everyone has a vested interest in C19 #Inthistogether
    I am replying to people who have responded, that is the purpose of a discussion board.

Guidelines in medical terms are much stronger than in most other industries. The numbers just now are tiny, but the people in the know understand that when people get close, infections increase. The same people who got us this far by deciding the moves to get the numbers to this level know the risks involved in close contact, thats why they want those industries to be last to open.
    We all have made changes to our lifestyle in the last few months. For me, I think of our vulnerable citizens, the 9 healthcare workers, the young and the old and the near 2500 people of this island who would prefer now to be living.

Many clinics closed or their own accord long before the government made it mandatory because they weren’t sure how they would operate with safety precautions in mind.
    They’ve had the best part of 3 months to think about it, put plans in place, source PPE and implement new safety procedures so I see no issue with them opening if they want to.
    An extra 2/3 weeks is going to make no difference, they have to reopen at some point.
    I think particularly with clinics run by doctors and dentists, they are more than qualified to know the risks and how to do treatments as safely as possible for both the patient and the staff.

It’s obviously absolutely awful and tragic that people have lost their lives to covid-19 but there are going to be long standing economic consequences for every single one of us.
    I am defending clinics choosing to open not because I place more value in botox than I do in human life, but because I value businesses being open and keeping people in employment in what’s about to be the worst recession in living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I had microneedling done a few days before the clinics had to close, I showed up early for my appointment and I was told to either wait outside or come back in 10 minutes, only one person was allowed in the waiting room at a time. Upon entering the clinic I was directed to the toilets and asked to wash my hands, I was then asked to use hand sanitizer. The aesthetician was wearing a mask and gloves which she changed about 3 times during the time I was in with her. Once after I came in, a second time after she'd answered the phone/used the computer and a third time after doing my treatment. She also washed her hands before and after working with me. With the smell of bleach and cleaning products in the clinic, it smelled like a hospital. Before I left the clinic I was asked to use more hand sanitizer that was beside the door. That was before the lockdown, I cant imagine how clinics will be considered high risk if thats the level of precautions theyre taking before being asked to take any.
    You have more chance of catching the virus by touching filthy packaging in Supermarkets and Chemists or visiting a friend or relative.

Airyfairy 12, they sound very professional, did you call them recently and ask them when they will reopen? There are a very few clinics open because the reputable clinics know the direction coming from Dr Holohan is the responsible direction.
    PPE is a precaution not to be relied upon, as the 27% or so of people who caught the virus are HSE workers and have access to the best quality PPE that money can buy. Im afraid that every place is going to say that they have PPe and are great at killing the virus, but who really knows if the PPe is of standard, if its used properly, if the patient does not carry the virus in on their feet or clothes etc

Well I’m getting my Botox done in a few days in my doctors clinic. He is a GP as well as a dermatologist and his skin clinic is separate to his surgery . I assume he’ll have the required PPE and sanitisation. I’ve already been to the dentist in the middle of the pandemic, he was brilliant. I felt v safe.

I’m dying to get a top up of Botox at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Ithink that everyone has a vested interest in C19 #Inthistogether
    I am replying to people who have responded, that is the purpose of a discussion board.

Oh absolutely. I was just curious that you had such strong opinions on Botox practitioners in particular and you joined boards to air your views on them reopening. Was just wondering if you maybe worked in the field yourself. Your opinions are very valid, I'm not saying that they're not.

Airyfairy 12, they sound very professional, did you call them recently and ask them when they will reopen? There are a very few clinics open because the reputable clinics know the direction coming from Dr Holohan is the responsible direction.
    PPE is a precaution not to be relied upon, as the 27% or so of people who caught the virus are HSE workers and have access to the best quality PPE that money can buy. Im afraid that every place is going to say that they have PPe and are great at killing the virus, but who really knows if the PPe is of standard, if its used properly, if the patient does not carry the virus in on their feet or clothes etc

Most clinics are already open, and it’s quite unfair of you to make baseless blanket statements about how irresponsible and unprofessional they are when that isn’t true.
    Any thoughts on how it isn’t safe to get treatment today (the 16th) but it will be on the 29th, just 12 days later?

The daily cases are now tiny. After just under 3 months of closure, it doesn’t justify keeping people out of work and depriving the public of a service for one more day, let alone two more weeks. If they had stayed closed the demand would only be bigger when they do reopen, thus causing more risk anyway.
    If they want to open and are taking precautions I don’t see what the issue is here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

No I didnt, I know one woman who owns a beauty clinic who said it's illegal to reopen? Maybe thats just her understanding of the guidelines, I dont know. Either way, majority that I know of are staying closed until government advises reopening. That's not to say they shouldn't reopen as I really think they're the most hygenic places and you have more chance catching something walking down the street. Family and friends can now visit each other, people have been having house parties for weeks, I cant see how the reopening of sterile clinics is going to cause mass coronavirus infections.

HSE workers are directly working with Covid patients daily, of course they will be high risk of catching the virus, out of all the health staff infected, its actually only a very small percentage of health staff and thats not including the carers in homes that weren't given PPE who make up a large percentage of the health care workers youre talking about.

Face masks have been proven to lower infection rates, by right we should all be wearing masks when out.

Advertisement