Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VesnaLukic

SusieBlue, Im sure that you, nor anyone else reading, wants to go through lockdown again. The numbers are small, however as seen in Bejing and New Zealand, we are not on top of this virus yet. Its actually phase 4 when pubs and beauty salons are to be open. Walk down any street, he vast majority of this business are closed. Some people and businesses are being selectively compliant.

Airyfairy, it wasnt just the nurses and doctors of the HSE that caught the virus. Porters, kitchen staff and drivers all caught it without direct contact with any C19 patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

VesnaLukic wrote: »
    Airyfairy, it wasnt just the nurses and doctors of the HSE that caught the virus. Porters, kitchen staff and drivers all caught it without direct contact with any C19 patient.

They at least had direct contact with hospital staff who were in the line of fire. Its not the same at all and even at that, with all the hospital infections etc, there are large hospitals serving entire counties that are 100% free of covid. If hospitals can prevent the virus through sanitation and wearing PPE, surely salons can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

SusieBlue, Im sure that you, nor anyone else reading, wants to go through lockdown again. The numbers are small, however as seen in Bejing and New Zealand, we are not on top of this virus yet. Its actually phase 4 when pubs and beauty salons are to be open. Walk down any street, he vast majority of this business are closed. Some people and businesses are being selectively compliant.

14 new cases today out of a population of 4.9 million, I would say that we are pretty much on top of it and have done an excellent job of suppressing it in the community.

We don’t have a cure or a vaccine so the numbers ebbing and flowing among all countries is not remotely surprising, nor is it a reason to stay in prolonged lockdown. We can’t just stay locked in our houses forever, we need to learn to live alongside the virus.

And I’m not sure where you live but pretty much everything down my way is open. Restaurants and cafes have been open for takeaway for weeks and most retail was open by yesterday. The city is buzzing, businesses aren’t closed any more.
    And a medically run aesthetician clinic doesn’t come under the umbrella of a ‘beauty salon’ so I’m not sure what relevance that has.

It looks like the whole country will be opened up by June 29th, hairdressers are likely being bumped into that phase and pubs will be allowed reopen so long as they provide food and table service. So I don’t see why it’ll be safer in 13 days than it will be today.

Arguably the most dangerous place for a member of the public to go over the last few months was the supermarket.

Actually, upon research, it is the law, HEALTH ACT 1947 (SECTION 31A - TEMPORARY RESTRICTIONS)
    (COVID-19) (NO. 2) REGULATIONS 2020
    he following services insofar as they are provided on a commercial
    basis, other than where such services are provided by a physiotherapist
    registered as such in accordance with the provisions of the Health and
    Social Care Professionals Act 2005 (No. 27 of 2005), or by a registered
    medical practitioner:
    10 [206]
    (a) massage services;
    (b) cosmetic procedures, whether surgical or non-surgical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I cut my own hair two days ago. Took a little more than I would have liked off it but to be honest, it was probably needed. I won't be able to go to my usual hairdresser for months due to a combination of her being in huge demand from people who need colours, and me having to move back up the country to take up my job again. It grows very quickly! Think I'll take some annual leave in September and get her to fix it then :pac:

Actually, upon research, it is the law, HEALTH ACT 1947 (SECTION 31A - TEMPORARY RESTRICTIONS)
    (COVID-19) (NO. 2) REGULATIONS 2020
    he following services insofar as they are provided on a commercial
    basis, other than where such services are provided by a physiotherapist
    registered as such in accordance with the provisions of the Health and
    Social Care Professionals Act 2005 (No. 27 of 2005), or by a registered
    medical practitioner:
    10 [206]
    (a) massage services;
    (b) cosmetic procedures, whether surgical or non-surgical.

I’m so curious to know what your vested interest is here. You’ve already called all the open clinics unprofessional irresponsible selfish money grabbers based on pretty much nothing so it sounds like it’s personal to you.

You’ve said that almost all businesses across all industries are closed and are remaining closed and that just isn’t true, one look at any town or city will show that things are open for business.
    Do you have an issue with them opening up or is it just botox clinics that are a cause for concern?

What are you going to do on June 29th when pubs, restaurants, hairdressers etc. all reopen?

Dear Susie, to answer you question as to why I did a google search, (it took about a minute) was mostly in response to some of the attitude that some people seem to have with regard to breaking the law for profit.
    Invested? can I ask you why you are taking so much of your time to defend and deny therapie beauty clinic who have 10 locations open for beauty treatments and to the 10 or so doctors who are adding cosmetic treatments to the GP practice who decided to break the law and open?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m so curious to know what your vested interest is here. You’ve already called all the open clinics unprofessional irresponsible selfish money grabbers based on pretty much nothing so it sounds like it’s personal to you.

You’ve said that almost all businesses across all industries are closed and are remaining closed and that just isn’t true, one look at any town or city will show that things are open for business.
    Do you have an issue with them opening up or is it just botox clinics that are a cause for concern?

What are you going to do on June 29th when pubs, restaurants, hairdressers etc. all reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

This thread has taken a bizarre turn!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dear Susie, to answer you question as to why I did a google search, (it took about a minute) was mostly in response to some of the attitude that some people seem to have with regard to breaking the law for profit.
    Invested? can I ask you why you are taking so much of your time to defend and deny therapie beauty clinic who have 10 locations open for beauty treatments and to the 10 or so doctors who are adding cosmetic treatments to the GP practice who decided to break the law and open?

Lol, do you think we'll not notice that you have avoided answering the question again?
    GingerLily wrote: »
    This thread has taken a bizarre turn!

It sure has!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

News reporting this morning that Gardai were called to a tanning salon in Limerick last week as queues of people formed outside. Confirmed that it was illegal for these to be open at this time.

Because as I’ve already said about 4 times now, I don’t see what difference waiting 12 days makes when we have a negligible amount of daily cases at the moment.
    14 new cases out of 4.9 million people is as good as it’s going to get.

You still haven’t answered how it’s magically going to be safe on the 29th vs. now? Considering we have no cure and no vaccine against this virus?

And it’s not just Therapie & doctors offices, all the clinics down my way are open. Not just 10 of them around the country, all of the clinics in my area are open for business.
    Definitely more than 10 in my city alone.
    It must have something to do with being qualified doctors/dentists cause one clinic in particular is on the same road as a Garda station and they haven’t even tried to shut them down.

Having been closed for just over 13 weeks (over a quarter of a year) I feel nothing but pity for business owners who have had to shut their premises and lay off their staff.
    I don’t know where you’re getting this nonsense of ‘they couldn’t wait 2 weeks to become millionaires’ from - an absolutely bizarre attitude to have. Everyone has suffered through this time.

Why aren’t other businesses in other industries who have decided to open up invoking the same level of disapproval from you, why is the problem only with Therapie?

If they have safety precautions in place and are in a position to open up I fully support them going back to work, if they want to.

What are you going to do on the 29th when pubs, restaurants and hairdressers will be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I think the root of the problem is that we have a phased re-opening as per the Gov guidelines. We didn't get to where we are by ignoring them but businesses jumping the gun an deciding to re-open under medical when they are more beauty is not helpful!

Susi, perhaps you could read my previous posts and it may become clear to you that I have mentioned all beauty places that are breaking the law. Can I ask in any of your previous 6500 posts, did you encourage anyone to break the law?Possibly, one difference is that beauty salon are not doctors?
    No one is going to be magically safer on July 20 (currently the date for reopening), Im saying that this virus hasnt gone away and that some beauty salons pull the wool over your eyes better than others.
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    Because as I’ve already said about 4 times now, I don’t see what difference waiting 12 days makes when we have a negligible amount of daily cases at the moment.
    14 new cases out of 4.9 million people is as good as it’s going to get.

You still haven’t answered how it’s magically going to be safe on the 29th vs. now? Considering we have no cure and no vaccine against this virus?

And it’s not just Therapie & doctors offices, all the clinics down my way are open. Not just 10 of them around the country, all of the clinics in my area are open for business.
    Definitely more than 10 in my city alone.
    It must have something to do with being qualified doctors/dentists cause one clinic in particular is on the same road as a Garda station and they haven’t even tried to shut them down.

Having been closed for just over 13 weeks (over a quarter of a year) I feel nothing but pity for business owners who have had to shut their premises and lay off their staff.
    I don’t know where you’re getting this nonsense of ‘they couldn’t wait 2 weeks to become millionaires’ from - an absolutely bizarre attitude to have. Everyone has suffered through this time.

Why aren’t other businesses in other industries who have decided to open up invoking the same level of disapproval from you, why is the problem only with Therapie?

If they have safety precautions in place and are in a position to open up I fully support them going back to work, if they want to.

What are you going to do on the 29th when pubs, restaurants and hairdressers will be open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’d love to go to my hairdresser in the morning and and be told I had to buy a substantial meal worth 9e while I was there!

Imagine...gorge eggs Benedict and a mimosa while she bleaches my hair within an inch of its life

It’s a win win!

Susi, perhaps you could read my previous posts and it may become clear to you that I have mentioned all beauty places that are breaking the law. Can I ask in any of your previous 6500 posts, did you encourage anyone to break the law?Possibly, one difference is that beauty salon are not doctors?
    No one is going to be magically safer on July 20 (currently the date for reopening), Im saying that this virus hasnt gone away and that some beauty salons pull the wool over your eyes better than others.

But these clinics are run by doctors, that’s the difference. So it’s not really for you to say or make assumptions about what kind of treatment a client/patient gets, or what their reasons for getting it is.
    It’s frankly none of your business. Have you considered this might be why they haven’t been shut down by Gardaí?

And the current date for pubs (with table service), restaurants and very likely hairdressers is June 29th so you are wrong on that count.
    No one is pulling the wool over my eyes so no worries there, I am quite aware of the risks without you lecturing me. We have been inundated with media coverage about this virus for over 3 months now so I think everyone is quite aware at this stage as to what’s going on.

The fact of the matter is that I’ve felt more nervous going to the supermarket over the last few months than I did getting botox last week.
    Supermarkets are nowhere near as sanitary or hygienic and yet no massive clusters have come out of a Tesco or Aldi.
    I believe Lidl reported that out of 5,200 staff in Ireland/NI just 15 staff have been infected with covid-19 since March. Aldi reported 10 cases in over 4K workers.
    These workers unfortunately have no access to proper PPE, they are as frontline as you can get and yet the amount of cases are quite low.

Having seen that and noted the fact that my aesthetician would be wearing full PPE and a hazmat suit in a sterile environment for my 15 minute appointment, I decided to assess the risk for myself.
    You are not obliged to avail of any of these services if you don’t want to.

fed_u wrote: »
    I think the root of the problem is that we have a phased re-opening as per the Gov guidelines. We didn't get to where we are by ignoring them but businesses jumping the gun an deciding to re-open under medical when they are more beauty is not helpful!

Plenty of businesses in other industries have been doing it too, though. My local Dunnes has been selling clothing & homeware throughout the pandemic while other clothes shops were forced to remain closed.
    It was highly unfair on the other businesses but Dunnes got away with it because they’re also a supermarket.
    I presume this is why these beauty clinics can open up at the moment.

fed_u wrote: »
    Fed U, thank U, thats all that I wanted to point out

Well its a GP that I am going to for Botox. The door to his GP clinic is right beside the door to his dermatology practice where he does Botox and fillers. I'm delighted to have got an appointment in a few days, feel very safe in the hands of a doctor, as I did over a month ago with my dentist. I don't think the wool is being pulled over the eyes of anyone at this stage. People are crying out for services to resume. With 14 new cases yesterday I think we are as safe as we are going to get. Delighted to support anyone local who is trying to get back into business, no matter what it is.

No amount of preaching is going to stop people after 4 months of this. Life goes on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Folks there is a dedicated Covid19 forum if you want to discuss the intricacies of the Government guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well, I for one can’t wait until I’m plucked and peeled and dyed from a height. Some people won’t be happy until we completely paralyse all industry until Covid is gone, which might be never. I applaud any industry for getting on with things in a safe manner. And just because these places are open it’s not a requirement that you attend. You don’t have to put yourself in “harms way” if you don’t feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Just thought I'd let anyone who gets the Brazilian blow-dry or 12 week blow-dry done in a salon that I ordered a home kit last week and I'm amazed with the results!
    I usually pay close to 200 euro I'm my hairdressers but the home kit only cost 45 including post and packaging off Amazon.
    If anyone is interested in more details let me know and I'll reveal all:)
    I'm never going to a salon for the treatment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Porklife wrote: »
    Just thought I'd let anyone who gets the Brazilian blow-dry or 12 week blow-dry done in a salon that I ordered a home kit last week and I'm amazed with the results!
    I usually pay close to 200 euro I'm my hairdressers but the home kit only cost 45 including post and packaging off Amazon.
    If anyone is interested in more details let me know and I'll reveal all:)
    I'm never going to a salon for the treatment again.

Oooh I have questions! So, I have kind of a kink in my hair. Its not wavy, not straight, kinda flat but with a little manipulating it will either go wavy or straight. When its straight it is quite flat. Do these treatments just smooth out the hair on the surface so that it is sleek but keeps its natural shape or does it straighten it, if that makes sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I’m interested pork life

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I wanna hear all PorkLife!! Pm please

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

neonsofa wrote: »
    Oooh I have questions! So, I have kind of a kink in my hair. Its not wavy, not straight, kinda flat but with a little manipulating it will either go wavy or straight. When its straight it is quite flat. Do these treatments just smooth out the hair on the surface so that it is sleek but keeps its natural shape or does it straighten it, if that makes sense?

It keeps the natural shape just makes it smoother and easier to blow dry. I found I went to about half the blow dry time, maybe even less. My hair is quiet curly though.

Would love to hear more about the home kit porkllife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Oh me too please! I've never had a salon treatment but I've always been low level interested but as my hair is not too unruly it always felt a bit OTT for me.

Can you link to the product you bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seems crazy as I'm sure the clinics will be just as prepped as doctors. I was at the dentist 4 weeks ago at this stage , no problems at all, lots of PPE but that was it. Why the beauty industry and hair salons are still closed is beyond me.
    8 new cases of Covid in Ireland yesterday, 1 death, this is beyond ridiculous.

I'm getting my botox topped up next week by a doctor. I've been to him before. But I have also used a clinic (if I can't get appointments depending on work etc) and they are still closed :confused:

Back in March I panicked as I was due a botox top up then so I knew I was looking at months with none at all. As an experiment and a treat I bought 3 months of Imedeen Time Perfection and its been positively brilliant. My skin is so much softer and glowing. I am much happier with it than I was in March so much so that I am only getting one area of Botox instead of my usual two! Lines have definitely reduced , and its natural!

It takes 3 months to show and its expensive, but so it Botox.

After reading this and the reviews I purchased Imedeen. Thank you!

After reading this and the reviews I purchased Imedeen. Thank you!

thats great! You need to be patient, its only now that I am in my 3rd month that I'm really noticing the results, they probably started halfway through 2nd months but I'm delighted now and will keep taking these. Huge benefits to nails and hair too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

thats great! You need to be patient, its only now that I am in my 3rd month that I'm really noticing the results, they probably started halfway through 2nd months but I'm delighted now and will keep taking these. Huge benefits to nails and hair too.

I just noticed that you got the Time Perfection ones, I got Derma One. Hope they work just as well!

Advertisement