Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The holy trinity be lookin fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

If I had known they would open early I wouldn't have cut my own hair :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Salty wrote: »
    If I had known they would open early I wouldn't have cut my own hair :rolleyes:

Wait and see how long we are waiting for appointments before you have any regrets!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Got a call an hour ago from my beauty salon. All booked in for 1st July. So excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Fab news :):) though I've discovered that my hair suits me better longer and that I can do a great job myself with the colour and that was thanks to a recommendation I got here. Twil still be nice to have them back though.

Will also get the nails done and really looking forward to that.

Happy days! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Anyone else finding scheduling appointments quite difficult?

I know I’m provisionally booked in for the first week of opening with my hairdresser but a specific day and time won’t be confirmed until Monday.

My nail salon is only taking online bookings, but doesn’t update itself as appointments are booked. So I put in for a day/time but until the salon confirms it, it could be a few hours before or after the time I requested.

My hair will take the longest so I’m trying to leave a whole day free for that, but I now have to leave a whole day free for my nails too cause I’ve no idea if the apt will be moved or not.

So I had to book my eyebrow wax for a separate 3rd day, and I’m now terrified my hairdresser will only be able to fit me in on the days I have my brows/nails booked for and I’ll have to wait even longer.
    This is so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

There’s a lot to juggle I find! My hairdresser is seeing everyone from the 18th march apt’s on, my next apt wasn’t until may so I’ve a bit to wait until my hair can be restored!
    I’ve to find a new brow bar now as i always went to benefit in Mahon point.

It’s a struggle but god it feels great knowing things are moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Rfrip wrote: »
    There’s a lot to juggle I find! My hairdresser is seeing everyone from the 18th march apt’s on, my next apt wasn’t until may so I’ve a bit to wait until my hair can be restored!
    I’ve to find a new brow bar now as i always went to benefit in Mahon point.

It’s a struggle but god it feels great knowing things are moving!

What a nightmare, how long do you think you’ll be waiting?
    I go to iBrow on Oliver Plunkett St, they’re very good but quite pricy. I might start tinting them myself at home to cut costs a bit in the coming months.
    I’ve also heard good reports about the Brow Factory in Douglas and 3 Degrees in Blackpool if that’s of any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

SusieBlue wrote: »
    What a nightmare, how long do you think you’ll be waiting?
    I go to iBrow on Oliver Plunkett St, they’re very good but quite pricy. I might start tinting them myself at home to cut costs a bit in the coming months.
    I’ve also heard good reports about the Brow Factory in Douglas and 3 Degrees in Blackpool if that’s of any use to you.

Oh thanks a mill for those recommendations! I kept threatening to get the eyelure dye kits but chickened out! Have no idea bout my hair.....I’m hoping she rings me next wk and says she misses me as much as I miss her :)

Woo hoo, delighted with myself - got hair/colour and eye-brow/mani/pedi appointments sorted for weekend after next. Can't wait :) I'll be too tired to do anything after all that sudden excitement :P

Really pleased for the salon staff, back earning finally. Hope they aren't all wrecked after their first week back. And I hope everyone overtips :D

• Advertisement

I have nails on the 30th, hair the 1st and brows on the 2nd. I think on the 3rd I’m just going to sit and admire myself for the whole day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Woo hoo, delighted with myself - got hair/colour and eye-brow/mani/pedi appointments sorted for weekend after next. Can't wait :) I'll be too tired to do anything after all that sudden excitement :P

Really pleased for the salon staff, back earning finally. Hope they aren't all wrecked after their first week back. And I hope everyone overtips :D

Jealous, in the nicest possible way!
    Can't wait to have an actual appointment with my hairdresser. Fingers crossed, should be able to make an appointment next week, and then I will be counting down to whenever it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I have nails on the 30th, hair the 1st and brows on the 2nd. I think on the 3rd I’m just going to sit and admire myself for the whole day.

That's exactly what I would do, if I had all of those done. :D
    Hair is my first priority. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My hair dresser called me today.

I think its lovely to see all the clients who are regulars and who had their appointments cancelled be accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

So after 76 calls to salon today finally got through!!!! Booked in for 1st so delighted did a little dance ðŸ’႒ 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

jrosen wrote: »
    My hair dresser called me today.

I think its lovely to see all the clients who are regulars and who had their appointments cancelled be accommodated.

I agree. Both my hairdresser and beauty salon contacted me directly rather than me having to contact them. Loyalty promotes loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

2 salons I was on a wait list for contacted me to say they are no longer doing tinting, facial waxing or threading in line with guidelines. Very disappointing. I suppose will be the same for facials. I’m not going to bother with gelish now anymore since my nails are thanking me for the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Man, over 200 calls to my hair salon this morning over 2 hours before I got through! But I ended up getting an apt for the 29th! Wooooooooooo :D

Side note, this whole COVID thing has opened my eyes big time, I didn't realise other women got so much stuff done regularly! My hair and eyebrows are literally the only two things I pay for, I do everything else myself.

jadie wrote: »
    2 salons I was on a wait list for contacted me to say they are no longer doing tinting, facial waxing or threading in line with guidelines. Very disappointing. I suppose will be the same for facials. I’m not going to bother with gelish now anymore since my nails are thanking me for the break.

No way? I was hoping Benefit brow bar would open soon.

Caranica wrote: »
    I agree. Both my hairdresser and beauty salon contacted me directly rather than me having to contact them. Loyalty promotes loyalty.

I'm hopeful on that score too. I'm an especially loyal customer of my hairdresser.

• Advertisement

jadie wrote: »

They probably wont have had guidelines yet. No salon does. What they are doing is guessing what they can and cant do.

Tinting is a no brainer. There is literally zero reason they cant do that.
    Threading because the mouth is used by some therapists to hold the thread.

Facials again have not been ruled out but there could be some questions over certain facial treatments that complement the standard facial.

The actual logistics and guidelines are still being thrashed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Man, over 200 calls to my hair salon this morning over 2 hours before I got through! But I ended up getting an apt for the 29th! Wooooooooooo :D

Side note, this whole COVID thing has opened my eyes big time, I didn't realise other women got so much stuff done regularly! My hair and eyebrows are literally the only two things I pay for, I do everything else myself.

I thought I was bad with 76 calls! I'm glad its only my hair I needed to get done as that was bad enough trying to book an apt. I do my nails, eyebrows, hair removal all myself so your not the only one! I'm glad of it now as I benefited from that during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im raging, my favourite skin clinic is closing their premises and the owner will be working from home from now on, she relocated her clinic to her house. She lives out in the countryside and I don't have a car, Ive been waiting since March for a treatment.

Im raging, my favourite skin clinic is closing their premises and the owner will be working from home from now on, she relocated her clinic to her house. She lives out in the countryside and I don't have a car, Ive been waiting since March for a treatment.

What were you looking to have done? Could she recommend someone?

Often if you look for other stockists of the skin care range she uses you can start working through their reviews and choose somewhere else.

appledrop wrote: »
    I thought I was bad with 76 calls! I'm glad its only my hair I needed to get done as that was bad enough trying to book an apt. I do my nails, eyebrows, hair removal all myself so your not the only one! I'm glad of it now as I benefited from that during lockdown.

Aye I had tape extensions that were due to be retaped just when they closed, so I wound up taking them out myself a month ago (which was like 2 months later than I should have, but I was so sure half my hair would come out!:eek:). So glad I didn't dye my hair though! Apparently they're charging extra for colouring over box dyes. I couldn't dye it when I had the extensions in but the temptation was real when I took them out. Going around here with black hair and about two inches of brown roots:o.

Aye I had tape extensions that were due to be retaped just when they closed, so I wound up taking them out myself a month ago (which was like 2 months later than I should have, but I was so sure half my hair would come out!:eek:). So glad I didn't dye my hair though! Apparently they're charging extra for colouring over box dyes. I couldn't dye it when I had the extensions in but the temptation was real when I took them out. Going around here with black hair and about two inches of brown roots:o.

How did you find removing the tapes? I had to take mine out too about two weeks ago. An experience I never want to repeat :pac: do you find you still have a bit of residue in your hair from the glue?
    On the upside it’ll be great to get straight into the salon chair and have my colour done instead of spending precious time having them removed

What were you looking to have done? Could she recommend someone?

Often if you look for other stockists of the skin care range she uses you can start working through their reviews and choose somewhere else.

I was getting a lazer treatment for rosacea. Theres only one other skin clinic here that does it and I dont want to go to them.

How did you find removing the tapes? I had to take mine out too about two weeks ago. An experience I never want to repeat :pac: do you find you still have a bit of residue in your hair from the glue?
    On the upside it’ll be great to get straight into the salon chair and have my colour done instead of spending precious time having them removed

Ah here, I was bricking it. They were meant to come out in March and I held on til 3 weeks ago! At that stage they were twisting and my hair was going to be wrecked if I didn't. It was grand though, the salon sent me a vial of the spray for taking them out (glad I waited because they didn't start sending those out til later) so it wasn't so bad. But I do still have little bits of glue in it and didn't want to be pulling at it too much to get it out. I asked the salon and they said to just wash and condition it with sulphate shampoo and it'll come out itself gradually, which seems to be happening, but like my fingers would still catch on a bit somewhere if I run them through it.

I was getting a lazer treatment for rosacea. Theres only one other skin clinic here that does it and I dont want to go to them.

Thats a shame.

Perhaps a dermatologist might be an option.

• Advertisement

Thats a shame.

Perhaps a dermatologist might be an option.

Ive tried to enquire about this before, from what ive been told, you cant just make an appointment with a dermatologist, you have to have a referral from a gp, the waiting lists are quite long and theyre really expensive, they also don't provide treatments like a skin clinic does.
    Im open to correction, would love to know if anyone regularly goes to a dermatologist for treatments, ive yet to meet someone who does.

Advertisement